Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins tidbit: K situation

lavar1156

now im up in the air about fletcher. do we have him for 2 seasons to kinda fill the void while we groom a young middle LB with our 5th pick?? or do we find a young MLB in free agency? im not even sure there is one.

I believe Napoleon Harris and Kawika Mitchell are two MLB FA's. Neither player is really anything special, but they're young.

I usually don't like bringing in older players, but I think an older vet at MLB would do wonders for the team. Fletcher has lots of intangibles such as fiery leadership. Adding Fletcher & Fred Smoot would bring back some swagger that the defense does not have at all. Sign Fletcher to one of those ridiculous 5-6 year deals that is really an effectively only 2 year contract. This move would definately be coming from a short-term prospective with the intent of making one last SuperBowl run with Joe Gibbs' last 2 remaining years here. If I was looking at a long-term fix, I'd look elsewhere. Just another wishing-I was a GM rants. :laugh:

To be fair, Lavar and Smoot have not been missed (especially at the salaries they'd have demanded).

Clark was a mistake and Pierce has been solid...but now everyone wants a big, strong MLB so he's not exactly what people are clamoring for either. After all, just like Marshall, he was a converted OLB too.

:2cents:

Fair enough. But, Peirce plays bigger then he is and is always around the ball.

Lavar is missed and the one thing that was always counted on when he was here and what the defense completely lacked this year was intensity. If you had the choice between Lavar and Holdman who would it be? But, Lavar is gone now and we have to move forward.

I would bring somebody in to compete but thats it.

Exactly, I have no problem bringing in competition. Any good team should always look to get better. However, anyone coming in should have to knock Suisham out of the position. An open and fair competition should bring out the best kicker.

There is only one LB (that I have heard of thus far) who I would consider bringing in via free agency, and that is Lance Briggs. Relatively young, so far productive and healthy, he would definitely shore up the middle.

Suisham will be here in camp to fight for the job, they won't let him go before that, either that or the Redskins front office is just dumb (and this worries me as they have shown stupidity in the recent past).

Now think, if Gibbs was not having a love affair with Hall, we would have gone after and successfully recruited Vinatieri. He would be the perfect guy Danny would have wanted, and for once, it most probably would have worked.

Suisham was 8 of 9 for us on FG's with the only miss coming on a 50+ yarder in his first attempt. So he made 8 in a row.

I am certain that our front office will find a way to go ahead and screw that up too.

This is correct. He did NOT have 2 misses for us. And as for his depth on kickoffs, he was better than both Novak and Hall. He should be the incumbent next year, short of the second coming of Lou Groza.

Plus, :laugh:

Yahoo Sports profile of Suisham

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7527

notes, in the upper right corner, that his longest field goal last year was

84 yards!! :yikes:

With a leg like that, we've GOT to keep him. :laugh:

This is correct. He did NOT have 2 misses for us. And as for his depth on kickoffs, he was better than both Novak and Hall. He should be the incumbent next year, short of the second coming of Lou Groza.

Plus, :laugh:

Yahoo Sports profile of Suisham

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7527

notes, in the upper right corner, that his longest field goal last year was

84 yards!! :yikes:

With a leg like that, we've GOT to keep him. :laugh:

He did, however, go 9/11 on the season.

Alright, checked it out. Apparently he missed a 30-39 yarder against Jacksonville in week 1 FOR Dallas.

Suisham was 8 of 9 for us on FG's with the only miss coming on a 50+ yarder in his first attempt. So he made 8 in a row.

I am certain that our front office will find a way to go ahead and screw that up too.

They all looked straight and strong as well. Novacks kicks were all wobbly, corkscrews, or hooks... I hope Suisham gets a fair shot to win the job.... I want stability at K for the SKins....

L Fletcher would not be an upgrade for anyo other team in the league than the Skins. Marshall is that bad... I hope we don't sign Fletcher though. We can do better.... We need a run stopper with size, speed and athleticism... I guess that is easier to say than it is to find though....

Guest HowAboutThemSkins

Don't believe this unreferenced info......Suisham will be back.

Don't get down on the organization because of this rediculous rumor.

With all the areas of alarm that really need addressing the "Kicking game" is not one of them . Suisham did a great job and I can honestly say that I felt confident by the end of this sorry season that when we sent in the kicking team we would get it . Don't "They" have more dire needs on this team to address than one that is working . And with a young talent no less , one that will only get better and isn't costing us a " John Hall " salary ?

Look , whoever this may concern --------------Get us a solid couple of Defensive lineman and a very good middle linebacker and a quality conerback and then we'll be able to win four in a row again !

Coz

Suisham has not earned a free pass. It's not like we have an established veteran with years of great kicking. The position should be competed.

It's good for the Redskins to be publicly seen as open-minded about this. The undrafted rookies and street free agents go to the teams where their agents tell them jobs are available. Let those agents think the Redskins job is up for grabs and we will have our pick of these players.

That's not exactly a miracle but it can be the difference between getting a real prospect and a mere camp leg.

I don't see Vanderjagt coming here. Hall is a quality veteran kicker with a really good attitude and chronic leg injuries that are probably ending his career fairly soon. Aging Vanderjagt is the exact same thing without the good attitude. I'm sure that point won't be lost on Gibbs after his problems with Hall.

Suisham has not earned a free pass. It's not like we have an established veteran with years of great kicking. The position should be competed.

It's good for the Redskins to be publicly seen as open-minded about this. The undrafted rookies and street free agents go to the teams where their agents tell them jobs are available. Let those agents think the Redskins job is up for grabs and we will have our pick of these players.

That's not exactly a miracle but it can be the difference between getting a real prospect and a mere camp leg.

I don't see Vanderjagt coming here. Hall is a quality veteran kicker with a really good attitude and chronic leg injuries that are probably ending his career fairly soon. Aging Vanderjagt is the exact same thing without the good attitude. I'm sure that point won't be lost on Gibbs after his problems with Hall.

Exactly. There's no harm in competition for the spot, and I think that with the Hall soap opera we have learned to steer clear of kickers with health issues.

To me it would be more alarming to not think about other options, do I want to see an overpaid ex-probowler here?

Nope.

But I also don't want the team to relax about the position based on a less than half the season sample.

Archived