Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another reason to hate Marty ?

bedlamVR

He had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL that year. And we finished poorly - we went 3-3 once we were back in the playoff race.

With the talent we had at the time, I bet even Robiskie could've gotten us to 9-7 or maybe 10-6.

Plus, he blew the draft. One player out of the entire draft - Fred Smoot. The rest were busts. Picked up one good UDFA (Pierce), and one capable backup (Watson - although Watson was actually picked out I believe from the one holdover scout left from the Norvo regime). How can anyone call this moving us in the right direction.

They did finish 8-8 comparing to how they started it was a move in the right direction .

Think if he could have been the coach in 2002, with more cap space, who would he have brought in? He definitely wanted a better QB even though Tony Banks played well. He had this team going in some positive direction.

actually, at the end of the season he was trying to sign Banks to a long term deal.

Out of the 8 games we won that year, only one was against a team that had a winning record - the Eagles - and that game was won on a Darrell Green interception that put us in field goal range. - Darrell Green, the guy Marty was trying to bench, but was playing because Marty's replacement for him, Donovon Greer was hurt.

Marty beat the Bronx while he was here, that's a plus in my book. I really thought he was a good choice. The only real knock vs. Mart is his post season win/loss record. We'll see what happens this year. If he can't do it with this team, he should give it up. PS who really can fault him for the "fumble". Plus we signed the "fumbler".

BS, Grimm wanted to leave to go back to Pittsburgh where he is from. I got news for you, Marty got our giant payrool from 100 Million to 55 million in less than a year. Snyder hated him and Marty got a raw deal. Look who is laughing now. Snyder is the problem here as we all know.

Exactly. I think if we'd let him stick around a few more years, we would have been back in the playoffs in 2002 or 2003. He would have drafted talent, and built our team from the ground up. Snyder went for the flashy move and signed Spunky to coach the team, instead of sticking with Marty.

Who knows...its no secret that Marty was infatuated with LT2 - maybe he would have manuevered to get him here in DC?? I love Clinton, but imagine how awesome we'd be with LaDanian...:drool:

Snyder is the main problem with this organization; he's gotten better recently, but we're still letting cheap, home-grown talent get away from us. Its annoying, and until its corrected, I fear we're never going to be very competitive. And someone needs to tell Joe that you can't buy teams anymore; you have to build from the ground up. I've been one of the most staunch supporters of the FA approach in the past few years; but this past year was a prime example of it biting us in the ass.

I thought hiring Marty was a mistake.

I thought firing him was a mistake.

Still do.

I hated the Spurrier signing. Marty went 8-8, but that was after going 0-5. First team in NFL history to go on a 5 game winning streak after opening the season 0-5. He had the team primed to go into the next season, and I believe we would have competed for the division, maybe more. Instead, yet another coaching change to someone who was not committed to the game, or even learning his defensive players' names. I mean...what exactly did Snyder ask him in his interview??

He did get a fair shake of the whip you want to see how the Skins would do with Marty in year 2 he took the Chargers 8-8, then 4-12 before having to give up the same resposibilities he refused to do here and that was with possibly one of the best RBs in the game and is it co-incedence that Brees suddenly started playing well when Marty gave up offensive play calling...

Marty also drove Ray Rhodes out of town and the Redskins have had more sucess in the offseason than the Chargers since Marty walked .. also the payroll thing is blown out of proportion because the Skins generally have a low payrolls they make head lines with bonuses ....

Driving Ray Rhodes out of town is a smart move. Ray Rhodes is a prime example of a coach who the game left behind. His defense has been rendered inept.

As far as Marty and all his success in San Diego..

Gee,, y'think walking into a team with possibly the best running back in history on it had anything to do with it?

Ask yourself. Without Tomlinson, what does Marty do with the Chargers?

Here is what we had when Marty was here.

We had Brad Johnson, who went and won a Super Bowl 2 yrs after being run out of town.

Marty insisted we could win with Jeff George. So there we were in week 3 DESPERATELY hoping that TONY BANKS< freshly cast out of Dallas could learn enough of the offense to be ready by week 3, when Marty fired George.

Yeah, that's a coach for you. Has total control of personel all spring, and ends up praying Tony BANKS can save him from himself.

Yay, Marty engineered a turnaround and made us 8-8 after an -05 start. Yay. It was his damn fault they opened up 0-5 in the first place.

Hey Marty! What's the first thing you're going to do when you're in Washington??

How about insult Darrell Green, criticize his play, and try to run him off the team! How about cause a player's revolt! How about take 10 yr veterans in their 30s and make them run Oklahoma drills like they were still 19 yrs old! How about beat them senseless before the season even BEGINS!

Yay!

Oh and Lest anyone FORGETS,, MARTY WAS NOT FIRED.

He QUIT after Snyder took back the GM duties. He took them back because Marty had failed MISERABLY in player relations here, made utterly stupid signings and set his team up for failure. (See "Tony Banks" and "Rod Gardner"). As I recall Snyder ASKED him to stay as coach, but Marty refused, said if he couldn't have the whole ball of wax, he was quitting, and he DID.

Keep this overrated windbag. He and his "gleam" belong elsewhere. Do NOT forget when waxing poetic about this idiot that he stepped into a golden situation,, the best RB in the NFL by leaps and bounds, A young QB finishing his learning curve in Brees, and two top five picks in the last 3 drafts.. including #1 overall.

I daresay even an idiot can succeed in that situation, and lo and behold, one has.

~Bang

I hated the Spurrier signing. Marty went 8-8, but that was after going 0-5. First team in NFL history to go on a 5 game winning streak after opening the season 0-5. He had the team primed to go into the next season, and I believe we would have competed for the division, maybe more. Instead, yet another coaching change to someone who was not committed to the game, or even learning his defensive players' names. I mean...what exactly did Snyder ask him in his interview??

I know the official line is that Snyder asked Marty to give up his GM duties and just stay on as coach, and Marty refused. But I wouldn't be suprised to find out that Synder saw Spurrier resign and immediately thought of an excuse to get rid of Marty so that he could get Spurrier, the guy he had always wanted. I think the whole thing: hiring Marty and giving him full control of personnel decisions, forcing Marty out after one year, hiring Spurrier ... that whole line of decisions was the worst series of moves this team has made in the 25 or so years I've followed this team. I think that year, coupled with the disaster that was the 2000 season, caused the type of mess that takes teams the better part of a decade to climb out of.

I think few realize just how amazing it was that Gibbs got 10 wins out of this team just two years later.

We're still paying for that debacle.

I've always hated the guy - big time!!! I was furious that we hired him, and relieved when we let him go. He easily had enough talent to go 10-6 with the cakewalk schedule we had that year, but he waited until we went 0-5 before he agreed to start running the ball. And what kind of IDIOT fires the OL caoch after you've produced the NFC's leading rusher 2 years in a row. Probably the same kind of jackass that insists on implementing a horizontal passing game when the team has the best rusher in the conference and a WR who 2 years earlier led the NFL in YPC...the same dipshiite who thinks Jeff George will be fine in a WCO, and passes up the opportunity to sign Trent Dilfer for peanuts.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always love seeing historical revision to fit ones' view. Everyone and I mean everyone predicted the Skins to be at the bottom of the league that year. 8-8 was a major over-achievement.

The more I think about it' date=' the more I realize that Marty would have failed here regardless of the length of his tenure. He simply sucked at picking out players. I think the only guy he hit on (in a pretty active offseason) was Fred Smoot. Hmm, off the top of my head, he brought us Tony Banks, Walter Rasby, Kevin Lockett, Mario Monds, Rod Gardner, and a bunch of other scrubs. Meanwhile, he got rid of Russ Grimm, Larry Centers (who had an awesome season for Buffalo), Tre Johnson (decent season for Cleveland, prior to getting injured), Kenard Lang (had a couple decent seasons in Cleveland), Marco Coleman (had a couple decent seasons, too), and a couple others I can't recall. It's funny how his recent success has come at a time when he has been forced to relinquish GM duties, and chose to give up offensive playcalling duties. Those are two things he would not have done as a Redskin, and that is why he left. He could have stayed had he let up a little, but he chose to opt out.[/quote']

Marty hit on Antonio Pierce as well. Additionally he drafted Darnerian McCants and Sage Rosenfeld who had or have successful careers for low round picks. Rod Gardner was initially successful in his first two years before deteriorating under Spurrier. As for most of those he got rid of (other than Grimm) remember he had to gut the roster to get into CAP compliance.

Marty wasn't here long enough to hate him too much. Those were the years I hated the fact we couldn't get any stability more than anything else. Marty was just a piece of that. He is doing pretty well right now though, but it helps having LT. I think I could make the playoffs if I was coaching LT.

Its odd how not to long ago when GW was getting his extensions everyone was all excited and saying he was primed to take over the head coaching job after Gibbs. After one year of a season long second guessing though that notion is out the door. And people are already looking an entire season ahead to the possibiltiy of Cowher coming here. Don't forget 07 ladies and gents, we still have Gibbs for at least one more year.

I've always hated the guy - big time!!! I was furious that we hired him, and relieved when we let him go. He easily had enough talent to go 10-6 with the cakewalk schedule we had that year, but he waited until we went 0-5 before he agreed to start running the ball. And what kind of IDIOT fires the OL caoch after you've produced the NFC's leading rusher 2 years in a row. Probably the same kind of jackass that insists on implementing a horizontal passing game when the team has the best rusher in the conference and a WR who 2 years earlier led the NFL in YPC...the same dipshiite who thinks Jeff George will be fine in a WCO, and passes up the opportunity to sign Trent Dilfer for peanuts.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff George was Snyder's guy. Marty probably had little choice in that matter.

Oh, and Chris Samuels' credited Joe Pendry, the o-line coach that year, with his first Pro Bowl season, calling Pendry, "I've got a great o-line coach"...Pendry was no Russ Grimm but he was also no Kim Helton.

Driving Ray Rhodes out of town is a smart move. Ray Rhodes is a prime example of a coach who the game left behind. His defense has been rendered inept.

As far as Marty and all his success in San Diego..

Gee,, y'think walking into a team with possibly the best running back in history on it had anything to do with it?

LT was entering his 2nd year when Marty was hired. "possibly" the best back in history was coming off a 1200 yard, 10 TD season...he was well regarded, but other backs were putting up better numbers.

Ask yourself. Without Tomlinson, what does Marty do with the Chargers?

What does Reid do without Westbrook? What does Dungy do without Manning? What does Bellicheck do without Brady? What is your point?

Here is what we had when Marty was here.

We had Brad Johnson, who went and won a Super Bowl 2 yrs after being run out of town.

Brad Johnson wanted no part of this team or this owner. Nothing to do with Marty.

Marty insisted we could win with Jeff George. So there we were in week 3 DESPERATELY hoping that TONY BANKS< freshly cast out of Dallas could learn enough of the offense to be ready by week 3, when Marty fired George.

Yeah, that's a coach for you. Has total control of personel all spring, and ends up praying Tony BANKS can save him from himself.

Marty inherited George, he was Snyder's pick.

Yay, Marty engineered a turnaround and made us 8-8 after an -05 start. Yay. It was his damn fault they opened up 0-5 in the first place.

That also falls on the players too - he inherited a club-med team lacking discipline and leadership that suddenly was being held accountable...yes, about Darrell Green, he made a mistake with that and admitted it as a regret of his when we started our turnaround.

Oh and Lest anyone FORGETS,, MARTY WAS NOT FIRED.

He QUIT after Snyder took back the GM duties. He took them back because Marty had failed MISERABLY in player relations here, made utterly stupid signings and set his team up for failure. (See "Tony Banks" and "Rod Gardner"). As I recall Snyder ASKED him to stay as coach, but Marty refused, said if he couldn't have the whole ball of wax, he was quitting, and he DID.

I don't buy that Snyder asked him to stay as coach. Once Spurrier's interest in the NFL was made known, Snyder jumped on the chance, Marty's days were numbered and you know it.

Do NOT forget when waxing poetic about this idiot that he stepped into a golden situation,, the best RB in the NFL by leaps and bounds, A young QB finishing his learning curve in Brees, and two top five picks in the last 3 drafts.. including #1 overall.

Oh yeah, Golden Situation, once again, both Brees and Tomlinson were in their 2nd year ever when Marty took over, Brees was in his first year as a starter, and an aging defense as of 2002...

I daresay even an idiot can succeed in that situation, and lo and behold, one has.

~Bang

I think Marty deserves a lot of credit, along the staff that he chose, and the players that he was given, for rebuilding the Chargers from a laughingstock to a contender.

Your post indicates he was handed everything and deserves nothing and I disagree, with respect, we all know Bang!'s the man.

Jeff George was Snyder's guy. Marty probably had little choice in that matter.

Yes, Jeff G was handpicked by Snyder on the advice of Sonny, but Marty was given full reign and could've picked someone else up (namely Dilfer). He could've cut George during training camp instead of 2 games into the season without Dannyboy being able to raise a finger.

My point was, how the heck do you insist on a WCO when you have all the perfect tools for smashmouth/vertical passing game, and if you are fixated on a horizontal passing game with no rushing, why do you decide to cut Larry Centers and replace him with no-talent Donnell Bennett.

We only started out 0-5 because he refused to run the ball.

As for most of those he got rid of (other than Grimm) remember he had to gut the roster to get into CAP compliance.

He gut the roster for cap compliance because he wanted to force Deion's hand. In the end, all he got Deion to do was to "only" collect $2.5m in additional bonus money and retire instead of $3m, a lousy $500k savings.

LT was entering his 2nd year when Marty was hired. "possibly" the best back in history was coming off a 1200 yard, 10 TD season...he was well regarded, but other backs were putting up better numbers.

What does Reid do without Westbrook? What does Dungy do without Manning? What does Bellicheck do without Brady? What is your point?

Well, my point is Tomlinson may be the best back in history. That is one hell of a nice thing to get when you step into a new team.

Brad Johnson wanted no part of this team or this owner. Nothing to do with Marty.

Marty inherited George, he was Snyder's pick.

While I agree and realize Johnson and Snyder had a rift that was nothing of Marty's doing, the fact that we were sitting there in week 3 HOPING that Tony Banks could save us is damning enough. There were other QBs available on the market, like fresh-off-a-super-bowl-win Trent Dilfer, who was all but signed, then suddenly that fell thru.. can't exactly recall why.

That also falls on the players too - he inherited a club-med team lacking discipline and leadership that suddenly was being held accountable...yes, about Darrell Green, he made a mistake with that and admitted it as a regret of his when we started our turnaround.

This is true, no argument on that. However, as a coach he has to be able to recognize that, and if he went about fixing it the wrong way, that is on his head.

I don't buy that Snyder asked him to stay as coach. Once Spurrier's interest in the NFL was made known, Snyder jumped on the chance, Marty's days were numbered and you know it.

Maybe, but that is how it went down, Snyder asked him to stay, and Marty refused. His days were numbered, sure, but I think he numbered them himself. As far as Spurrier, I think Danny found himself coachless, and decided to fix it with money. Half the league was ready to make the same mistake with the Ol' Ball Coach, we just happened to win that little sweepstakes.

Oh yeah, Golden Situation, once again, both Brees and Tomlinson were in their 2nd year ever when Marty took over, Brees was in his first year as a starter, and an aging defense as of 2002...

I think Marty deserves a lot of credit, along the staff that he chose, and the players that he was given, for rebuilding the Chargers from a laughingstock to a contender.

Sure he deserves credit, but like you said, Tomlinson is already there,, that guys is just talented,, coaching has little to do with his gifts. Brees was in his second year, yes, but a second year QB with a season under his belt is leagues beyond a rookie.

Yes he did build them into a winner, but he did have some nice raw materials to get started with, and has had 2 top five picks in the last 3 years. It matters.

Your post indicates he was handed everything and deserves nothing and I disagree, with respect, we all know Bang!'s the man.

Well, Marty is a great motivator, he is. And I guess you're right, my post did seem like he's just a dope who fell into success.. he's not, he does deserve credit, but as i said.. with that kind of a set-up, a LOT of coaches would succeed.

Now, if Marty wins the Super Bowl FINALLY I'll toss him a nod. But that is a big IF considering his penchant for screwing it up in january.

:cheers:

~Bang

Just Some Reasons to Dislike Marty

1. He's never won anything. His teams have a history of choking in the playoffs. Those teams are often thought of as tired out by the time the playoffs rolls around, and Marty's play-calling is often considered overly conservative. Redskins fans like to think that we could win the Super Bowl. We would never have done so with Marty.

2. He treated Darrell Green shabbily.

3. He drafted Rod Gardner in the first round.

4. He brought in Tony Banks as QB.

5. He started out 0-5 and kept saying that "our system works." John Riggins called him Coronel Kurtz at the time.

6. After he got the team to 5-5 (by some miracle) and the playoffs were a possibility, the team lost at home to a Dallas team that was something like 2-8 at the time. The team finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

I don't think Marty was hated here, either...

However, I also don't think the Skins would have really gotten much further had we kept him here. Marty hasn't won a playoff game since 1993...he's good for getting you a winning record during the regular season...and that's pretty much it. If the Chargers lose this weekend I won't be surprised one iota. If your goal is to go 11-5 and nothing more, Marty's your man.

11-5 looks pretty good about right now, when the best the team has managed in 14 years is 10-6, and is an overall 30 something games under .500 during that time. :doh:

I'm surprised to see so many Marty fans around here, after all of the Marty-ball bashing that went on years ago.

Truth be told, he reset the cap, went 8-8 after starting five games in the hole, and did it with mediocre offensive personnel. He was also the only guy to get LaVar to play up to his potential (and is now doing so with a very similar player who won't be named). I was very sad when he was fired, that was a miracle year, and he was in fact third in coach of the year voting during that season.

He made some of the tough and unpopular decisions, but in the end, this franchise was better for having him.

First of all - This whole "Marty vs Snyder" thing is stupid. They booth have repeativly said that they are still friends to this day. They talk many times a year. Marty is the 1st person to tell you that he likes snyder and was given the chance to keep coaching. In Fact, he was the one who got Snyder to be hands off (Before Marty, Dan was picking the players).

2nd - Yes, in training camp and the start of the season Marty went overboard. He almost had to. Norv ran such a lax training camp there was no discipline. Ok - So Marty went overboard and his players quit on him. But unlike a lot of coaches, he admited his wrong doing, had a free for all team meeting, and got the most out of his players.

Who knows what would have happened if he stayed, but he didn't, and after all was said and done, it brought us back Joe Gibbs.

I don't know if I wish he stayed or not, but there is absolutly no hate there.

Archived