Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another reason to hate Marty ?

bedlamVR

BS, Grimm wanted to leave to go back to Pittsburgh where he is from. I got news for you, Marty got our giant payrool from 100 Million to 55 million in less than a year. Snyder hated him and Marty got a raw deal. Look who is laughing now. Snyder is the problem here as we all know.

Besides in the list of Massive mistakes made by this organization over the past 15 or so years, I'd say that ranks around the 50% mark at most. Anything pre-Gibbs I pretty much chalk up to a loss anyways-eventually there's got to be a point you move on.

That article is off base...I don't think any Redskins fans hate Marty. He had the skins pointed in the right direction.

I've always hated the guy - big time!!! I was furious that we hired him, and relieved when we let him go. He easily had enough talent to go 10-6 with the cakewalk schedule we had that year, but he waited until we went 0-5 before he agreed to start running the ball. And what kind of IDIOT fires the OL caoch after you've produced the NFC's leading rusher 2 years in a row. Probably the same kind of jackass that insists on implementing a horizontal passing game when the team has the best rusher in the conference and a WR who 2 years earlier led the NFL in YPC...the same dipshiite who thinks Jeff George will be fine in a WCO, and passes up the opportunity to sign Trent Dilfer for peanuts.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty is a very good coach who wasn't given the chance to coach here. All week, we've been hearing the Parcells soundbyte about "if you're expected to cook, they should at least let you buy the groceries." That was the problem with Marty. He wasn't afforded the opportunity to assemble his team to even take a credible shot at winning the division, much less the SB. But for some reason, many here want to throw him under the bus.

Never knew Marty was hated here. I think if anyone should of been given more of a chance here, it was him. I loved what he did here, and that was the football everyone has been begging for on here since day one, running the ball, "Redskin" football.

I don't think Marty was hated here, either...

However, I also don't think the Skins would have really gotten much further had we kept him here. Marty hasn't won a playoff game since 1993...he's good for getting you a winning record during the regular season...and that's pretty much it. If the Chargers lose this weekend I won't be surprised one iota. If your goal is to go 11-5 and nothing more, Marty's your man.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Marty would have failed here regardless of the length of his tenure. He simply sucked at picking out players. I think the only guy he hit on (in a pretty active offseason) was Fred Smoot. Hmm, off the top of my head, he brought us Tony Banks, Walter Rasby, Kevin Lockett, Mario Monds, Rod Gardner, and a bunch of other scrubs. Meanwhile, he got rid of Russ Grimm, Larry Centers (who had an awesome season for Buffalo), Tre Johnson (decent season for Cleveland, prior to getting injured), Kenard Lang (had a couple decent seasons in Cleveland), Marco Coleman (had a couple decent seasons, too), and a couple others I can't recall. It's funny how his recent success has come at a time when he has been forced to relinquish GM duties, and chose to give up offensive playcalling duties. Those are two things he would not have done as a Redskin, and that is why he left. He could have stayed had he let up a little, but he chose to opt out.

Whether Marty had stayed on or not, as soon as I had heard that Spurrier had quit at Florida, I knew Marty's days here were numbered.

Snyder had wanted Spurrier after Norv but he didn't wave enough cash around until the following year.

I wish Marty had gotten a fair shake here. We even won with Tony Banks and Kent Graham :laugh:

Marty brought in "his" guys. It happens when a new HC comes to town. It's unfortunate that Grimm was a casualty of Marty coming onboard, but I'm guessing Spurrier wouldn't have retained Grimm either. He brought in all his college assistants who knew nothing about the NFL.

IF Grimm had managed to survive both the Marty and Spurrier administrations, I'd imagine Gibbs would have retained Grimm. But what are the odds an o-line coach survives that many changes in administration? Not very good.

Overall, I think Marty did a great job with what he had to work with. The fact that we went 8-6 that year in games started by Tony Banks tells me that that might have been the best coaching job of any Redskins head coach since Gibbs I. That was a rebuilding year, yet we still managed to go 8-8. I think better things were on the horizon had Marty had a chance to continue. Would he have won a Super Bowl? Who knows, but I'm sure we would have had a better run than we had under Spurrier.

He did get a fair shake of the whip you want to see how the Skins would do with Marty in year 2 he took the Chargers 8-8, then 4-12 before having to give up the same resposibilities he refused to do here and that was with possibly one of the best RBs in the game and is it co-incedence that Brees suddenly started playing well when Marty gave up offensive play calling...

Marty also drove Ray Rhodes out of town and the Redskins have had more sucess in the offseason than the Chargers since Marty walked .. also the payroll thing is blown out of proportion because the Skins generally have a low payrolls they make head lines with bonuses ....

According to USA today

Washington Redskins $ 61,149,117 (2002)

Washington Redskins $ 56,017,166 (2001)

Washington Redskins $ 56,017,166 (2000)

Not once did we have the higest payroll

Marty is a very good coach who wasn't given the chance to coach here. All week, we've been hearing the Parcells soundbyte about "if you're expected to cook, they should at least let you buy the groceries." That was the problem with Marty. He wasn't afforded the opportunity to assemble his team to even take a credible shot at winning the division, much less the SB. But for some reason, many here want to throw him under the bus.

My thoughts exactly great post!!!

BS, Grimm wanted to leave to go back to Pittsburgh where he is from. I got news for you, Marty got our giant payrool from 100 Million to 55 million in less than a year. Snyder hated him and Marty got a raw deal. Look who is laughing now. Snyder is the problem here as we all know.

As a coach, I'd be laughing now too if I lucked into having a HOF-caliber running back on my team in the prime of his career, who may not have even peaked as a player yet...as good as Stephen Davis was--and he was good--he's no Tomlinson. It's easy to be a good coach with a player like Ladanian Tomlinson on the field.

Not to mention Gates, Neal, Rivers, Merriman, Jammer, Godfrey, McCardell, Olshansky, even...these are all solid, quality NFL players.

The 'Skins, under Marty, were playing Tony Banks at QB. Robert Jones at MLB. Zeron Flemister at TE. Kevin Lockett at WR...the list of sub-par talent goes on.

The football talent Schottenheimer has on his roster with the Chargers is so far above what he gave himself in his GM-role with the Redskins...it's not really fair to say that his success in San Diego would have happened here, had he stayed.

The football talent Schottenheimer has on his roster with the Chargers is so far above what he gave himself in his GM-role with the Redskins...it's not really fair to say that his success in San Diego would have happened here, had he stayed.

I agree and I should say he's just managing this talent the way it should. We on the opposite side signed so-called talented FA's, and look what happened.

We might keep on getting burned with the next FA coming up.

The more I think about it' date=' the more I realize that Marty would have failed here regardless of the length of his tenure. He simply sucked at picking out players. I think the only guy he hit on (in a pretty active offseason) was Fred Smoot. Hmm, off the top of my head, he brought us Tony Banks, Walter Rasby, Kevin Lockett, Mario Monds, Rod Gardner, and a bunch of other scrubs. Meanwhile, he got rid of Russ Grimm, Larry Centers (who had an awesome season for Buffalo), Tre Johnson (decent season for Cleveland, prior to getting injured), Kenard Lang (had a couple decent seasons in Cleveland), Marco Coleman (had a couple decent seasons, too), and a couple others I can't recall. It's funny how his recent success has come at a time when he has been forced to relinquish GM duties, and chose to give up offensive playcalling duties. Those are two things he would not have done as a Redskin, and that is why he left. He could have stayed had he let up a little, but he chose to opt out.[/quote']

yep. - Also the now famous equipment manager he fired that was here since George Allen because he was afraid he would undermine him in some way - the one whose replacement gave out Bobby Mitchell's number a few years later because he didn't know better.

He tried to run Darrell Green out the door just like he did Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison in San Diego.

It's funny. Everything Snyder wanted Marty to do - hire a GM, get a new offensive coordinator not named Jimmy Raye, stop playing Marty-ball, is true in San Diego and they're prospering.

I don't hate the guy, I'm just glad he's not our coach.

According to USA today

Washington Redskins $ 61,149,117 (2002)

Washington Redskins $ 56,017,166 (2001)

Washington Redskins $ 56,017,166 (2000)

Not once did we have the higest payroll

You neglect all factors, sure, we probably have the lowest salary payroll in the league ever year. However, free agent signing bonuses, which is what we usually give out, factor in per particular year. Also, our consistently large dead cap number amounts also factor in. Of course we have the lowest payroll when we have close to 10 million yearly in dead money and a bunch more tied in signing bonuses.

That article is pure speculation. All it says is "Marty should not have fired Grimm, and Grimm could have done things here".

Also, sure, Marty was fired due to his refusal to give up control. However, if he eventually did in San Diego, who says he would not have here?

He only had one season to bring in his players and save the salary cap, and despite getting a bunch of random NFL waste, he still put together a pretty good team. Think if he could have been the coach in 2002, with more cap space, who would he have brought in? He definitely wanted a better QB even though Tony Banks played well. He had this team going in some positive direction.

My only concern is that Marty can't win in the post-season.

How can Redskin fans hate Marty he had them going in the right direction. They started off bad but came on strong.

He had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL that year. And we finished poorly - we went 3-3 once we were back in the playoff race.

With the talent we had at the time, I bet even Robiskie could've gotten us to 9-7 or maybe 10-6.

Plus, he blew the draft. One player out of the entire draft - Fred Smoot. The rest were busts. Picked up one good UDFA (Pierce), and one capable backup (Watson - although Watson was actually picked out I believe from the one holdover scout left from the Norvo regime). How can anyone call this moving us in the right direction.

Archived