Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs: 'I'm Gonna Get It'

chronicdesi

'I'm Not Turnin' Loose of It Until We Get It Right'

By Thomas Boswell

Friday, December 8, 2006; Page E01

"The large wall behind Joe Gibbs's desk at Redskins Park is covered with pictures of his seven grandchildren. The thought of them lights up his face. "If I died tomorrow, they should put on my tombstone, 'He had a ball,' " Gibbs said yesterday. "I've crowded everything into life that I can get." Then his face darkens. "I just don't want this for everybody else."

"This" is the losing, the embarrassment of a 4-8 record for a franchise that has broken all records for providing a coach with everything money can buy so that he can return his team to glory. Despite all the expensive free agents signed and assistant coaches hired to surround him on his return, and after a lifetime of success in the NFL and NASCAR, Gibbs is failing this season."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/07/AR2006120702007.html

Gibbs seems truly hurt by whats going on with this team. I just hope we play hard at least for the remaining games after reading this article. He also hints at getting an GM if that will help the team...

I'm confident Gibbs will turn this around. Especially if he is willing to get a GM and go back to playing Joe Gibbs football, or at least something that is a mix of that and the Al Saunders offense.

If Gibbs can't fix this team, then who the hell else can??? :whoknows:

In Gibbs I Trust!

Perhaps for relief, he looks at a picture of the grandson who is named Joe Jackson Gibbs, after him. Two years ago, when the boy was 6, he and his father, J.D., were in a restaurant watching on TV as the Redskins played at Dallas. "That was the game we lost at the end when we gave up a bomb," Joe Gibbs said. "J.D. turned around and the boy is just bawling in tears. Then he says, 'Dad, I just hate those Cowboys.' "

a chip off the old block :D

If Coach Gibbs is truly open to the idea of hiring a GM, I think this team's future is not as bleak as it seems. A GM will acqure the type of players that are going to be the type of "core Redskins" that coach Gibbs talks about. Coach Gibbs also needs a GM to alleviate the pressure that he feels that he's under.

"But I'll fight, change, whatever it takes. This is my problem. It's my responsibility and I feel bad. [Owner] Dan [snyder] has done everything he can. And I haven't [done the job] this year. But I'm not turnin' loose of it until we get it right. Sooner or later, I'm gonna get it."

Wow, this is a great quote. This shows great confidence, which is amazing when you consider what he's been through this year. This is a faith restorer.

It's the main reason I'm still "into" this season. I think Gibbs will sleep better this off-season if we finish strong. I KNOW he loves this team as much as I do, which is very rare to say about a player or coach. I know it kills him, and I think some wins here at the end could make him feel a bit better-- at least a bit less embarrassed. I hope the team doesn't lay down.

"Sometimes I think, 'I want out of the mess.' That's how people are. We want to run from the mess," said Gibbs, whose team might be voted the biggest mess in the NFL this season. "But I'll fight, change, whatever it takes. This is my problem. It's my responsibility and I feel bad. [Owner] Dan [snyder] has done everything he can. And I haven't [done the job] this year. But I'm not turnin' loose of it until we get it right. Sooner or later, I'm gonna get it."

There alot of good things about that quote, and the determination in it reaches out through the computer.

I just hope he's really done with starting Brunell, though. I hope he continues to develop Campbell.

I don't think he did this for any other reason than he thought it gave us the best chance of winning. I didn't agree with his decision, but the man definitely bleeds burgandy and gold. He wants to win. I think he will stick with Campbell now.

I think he will get the team back to winning but this season is at least as bad as 2004. Hopefully he figures out that all these free agents getting huge contracts don't care about this team as much as he does.

The 2005 team was a good QB and maybe another decent receiver from being unstoppable. He should go back to that kind of football. Saunders is a good OC, no doubt but when has his offense ever won anything. Even in St. Louis when they ran a similar offense and had the best players at just about every single offensive position they got lucky in winning getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

That offense isn't what this team needs IMO and it has much higher requirements at all positions than Gibbs smashmouth does.

Perhaps for relief, he looks at a picture of the grandson who is named Joe Jackson Gibbs, after him. Two years ago, when the boy was 6, he and his father, J.D., were in a restaurant watching on TV as the Redskins played at Dallas. "That was the game we lost at the end when we gave up a bomb," Joe Gibbs said. "J.D. turned around and the boy is just bawling in tears. Then he says, 'Dad, I just hate those Cowboys.' "Gibbs breaks into his biggest grin, one he hasn't used much this season. "That," he says proudly, "is my namesake."

There alot of good things about that quote, and the determination in it reaches out through the computer.
People say a lot of negative things about this team, and I understand that it's a frustrating year. But I don't get how anybody can forget the character, determination, and ability Gibbs has in commanding his troops. I love how it pains him just like it does us. I love that he wants to fix it, and I love that he will.

Excellent article. I especially loved the end: his name sake. It must be a Gibbs family tradition and honor to "hate them Cowboys."

I posted in an other thread how I believe next year during training camp and pre-season the coaches are going to really ride the players hard, not soft like this season. I believe that Gibbs will have the players in meetings and practice as soon as he is allowed to by NFL regulations. Then, in the article, they point out that for the last 2 1/2 weeks the players have had to practice with full contact. I already see my prediction coming true.

Gibbs will right the ship. We were hit hard this year with injuries to key players, on top of learning a new offensive system. I know many people have a problem with Saunders and his system here in Washington, but I know once the offense has had a full season and another offseason to learn the system, we are going to be a force on the field. JJ Gibbs will bring us back to glory. Have faith.

Archived