Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs: 'I'm Gonna Get It'

chronicdesi

When you think of the Redskins glory days you know there was one constant...Gibbs. You can't deny his 3 superbowl rings in a 10 year span, and done with 3 different QB's and RB's (and 2 were come from behind wins) So he knows what it takes to win. The obvious huge hurdle for him this go round is the high priced free-agents that don't bleed burgandy and gold and dont put it all on the line for the team week after week. I think now that the season is over as far as playoffs, these last 4 games will tell Gibbs alot about who is a true Redskin or not, which will lend itself to who his core guys will be next year. If Gibbs can't turn this thing around, nobody can. :notworthy

"We are 2 1/2 weeks into this. In six of our last eight quarters, we have played the way we want to play," Gibbs said. "This is where we are. This is what we want to be. This is not something we can't do."

This sort of concerns me actually. We are 2 and 3/4 years into the Gibbs II Era and finally figured out the philosophy he wants two games ago.

Look, Gibbs is a coach and all coaches talk this way. If he wasn't still able to pull out a fire and brimstone/we're all in this together/hard work speech, he really should consider a like with grandkids on his knees. Any coach should be able to give this interview.

I'm just not convinced that the Gibbs of 2007 is the Gibbs of 1987.

And who cares if he feels committed? I've never questioned his commitment; I've questioned his abilities.

I'm embarrassed for Gibbs. He deserves a much better return on what he's invested in assistants and players. As excited as I was that he returned to restore the glory to the franchise, I'm every bit as frustrated with how some of the players who come here still view the franchise as one where a player can go to get paid and not give back to the team. Coach is correct in stating that schemes and fads come and go in the NFL, but people are essentially the same. Perhaps we still don't have the right people at this moment in time?

I remain hopeful that coach can get it turned around.

Another hack job by the Post. They must get paid based on how many times they can bash the Skins.

What? :doh: This article, in an of itself, gives a fan a reason to feel pride in his team. To be honest, and it may be just me, am just as excited at this point as I was when he returned to coach the team. In life, when times get tough, some run and give up (exp. Spurrier.) Others, (exp Gibbs) stand firm and dig in a little deaper. I have faith in the man and commend the writer of this article. It puts everything in perspective.

On a side note, the quote about his grandson and hating the cowboys was priceless. :silly:

I thought his quote "Don't be blind to the truth, otherwise you can't fix it" was very interesting. The status quo is not working so hopefully he will make the difficult decisions no matter what toes he steps on. I also think he gave this interview to show his determination to stay and show everyone he still is in charge. If he were a fan only he would be considered the ultimate homer who wears the burgundy and gold shaded glasses and drinks the Redskin kool aid. He not only is the greatest Redskin coach but the ultimate Redskin fan. Go Joe, do whatever you have to do to bring back Redskin pride. :logo:

"Perhaps for relief, he looks at a picture of the grandson who is named Joe Jackson Gibbs, after him. Two years ago, when the boy was 6, he and his father, J.D., were in a restaurant watching on TV as the Redskins played at Dallas. "That was the game we lost at the end when we gave up a bomb," Joe Gibbs said. "J.D. turned around and the boy is just bawling in tears. Then he says, 'Dad, I just hate those Cowboys.' "

Thats the greatest part of the article.:D

Gibbs is a Redskin, that is the key element that has been lacking in all the coaches and most of the free agent players that have dragged their sorry asses through here the last 15 years. He is like us, he really truly cares about this organization. HAIL

This is so true. Unlike other coaches, let's say Bill Parcells, who has no loyalty to any one team. How many, 4 different teams? How do you think Giant fans feel when they have to face him and the cowBoys? Then he jumps ship to another NY (NJ) team. Then he dumps the J.E.T.S. Jets Jets Jets for a division rival, the Patriots. How do you think the players and fans felt about that?

Then to top it all off, he goes back to the NFC East and coaches the Giants division rivals, the cowBoys. He's nothing but a mercenary.

Joe Gibbs could have coached anywhere. He was part owner of the Falcons and was being courted by the majority owners to coach that team. When Dan Snyder called, Joe said that he had no second thoughts about coming here and the thought of coaching the Falcons was off the table. This is where he started and this is where he will finish and he is the ultimate "True Redskin".

This year has turned into a disaster and I have questioned some of Joe's decisions but I know that he'll correct the mistakes he's made this year. I believe we have the nucleus of our offense however, I have deep concerns about our defense. Hopefully this has been a learning curve for Gregg Williams as well. If we have players on the team that are unhappy, get rid of them. Bench Holdman, start McIntosh and get us a good corner.

I feel deep down that this team will be much better next year and you'll see Joe's signature on this team. Hail!

He's almost there, in my opinion. We've just had some bad breaks this season, some player attitude problems, and some bad personel decisions. All of which can possibly be reversed this offseason while keeping the "core guys" and not bringing in many outsiders

He's almost there, in my opinion. We've just had some bad breaks this season, some player attitude problems, and some bad personel decisions. All of which can possibly be reversed this offseason while keeping the "core guys" and not bringing in many outsiders

I'm confident he'll get this ting turned around. He needs to focus on getting a GM!

If we have to go through what we're going through, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's not a man in the world I'd rather go through it with than Joe Jackson Gibbs. He lends pride and integrity to everything having to with this team and I will support him to the end, win or lose.

there's not a man in the world I'd rather go through it with than Joe Jackson Gibbs.

That is exactly the way I'm thinking. Gibbs may be partially at fault for this season, but anyone that thinks a head coaching change at this point is going to help the Redskins isn't thinking clearly. Joe Gibbs is and always will be a Washington Redskin. He's a proud man, and he's humble. He's also one hell of a football coach.

Most of us are 100% with you, Coach. Do what you gotta do.

If we have to go through what we're going through, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's not a man in the world I'd rather go through it with than Joe Jackson Gibbs. He lends pride and integrity to everything having to with this team and I will support him to the end, win or lose.

That's true of us fans, of course. The thing is our team has focused on bringing in free agents who come here for the paycheck. They wouldn't do for Joe what any of us would.

Most of them don't even spend time studying according to some players. Gibbs needs to focus more on the rookies who will come here trying to prove themselves to him.

The free agents think that by contract they are already better than the team and most of it's tenured players, and the players here who have fought their guts out resent these new guys and are probably reluctant to help them. They aren't part of the team when they get here just because they signed a huge contract which many think they don't deserve.

This year has turned into a disaster and I have questioned some of Joe's decisions but I know that he'll correct the mistakes he's made this year. I believe we have the nucleus of our offense however, I have deep concerns about our defense. Hopefully this has been a learning curve for Gregg Williams as well. If we have players on the team that are unhappy, get rid of them. Bench Holdman, start McIntosh and get us a good corner.

I feel deep down that this team will be much better next year and you'll see Joe's signature on this team. Hail!

I wouldn't hold your breath on GW. That guy reminds me TOO much of his mentor, Buddy Ryan, who was a grating individual who wore out his welcome repeatedly, pretty much everywhere he went. He also berated his players non-stop, scapegoated individuals for the performance of the group and was great at getting things going for short periods of time, but not long term. I've even heard stories that members of that 85 Bears team told management they were leaving if Ryan stayed, they hated him that much. I have my doubts that GW is capable of the self reflection, acceptance of responsibility and adaptation in any fashion even mildly resembling Gibbs. This offseason is going to be a MAJOR fork in the road as far as where to go with this defense and defensive staff. It'll be interesting to see what happens

Say good-bye to Club-Med training camp next year.

Exactly.... Gibbs' biggest mistake this year was expecting the team to behave like men and be accountable for themselves. He tried the "I trust you" approach, now he's going to be back to treating them like as bunch of over paid babies that better play harder then thier contract, or they're out of here....

Unfortunately you can't trust people to act like they care as much as you do, people, even millionares that get played to play a game for a living, will try and get away with what ever they can, and they need someone screaming/baby sitting them to get what is expected out of them. I also think he trusted Bruneel to lead the team, and the team took on too much of his personality, which is "who cares if we lose" and laughing on the sidelines during losses.... Now we'll be a Gibbs led team, which is what we should have been all along.

"But I'll fight, change, whatever it takes. This is my problem. It's my responsibility and I feel bad. [Owner] Dan [snyder] has done everything he can. And I haven't [done the job] this year. But I'm not turnin' loose of it until we get it right. Sooner or later, I'm gonna get it."

Wow, this is a great quote. This shows great confidence, which is amazing when you consider what he's been through this year. This is a faith restorer.

It is a great quote--I just wish he could make more in-season and in-game adjustments.

Let's just hope the first thing Joe does this offseason is kick Al Saunders and his 700 page playbook out of town.

:doh: Have you ever heard of a thing called consitancy??? The Redskins have been lacking that for too long. Everybody that knows anything about Saunders and his system said it would take atleast a year to really get it going. So, now, after the year is up, you want to just start all over. :doh1:

Archived