Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs: 'I'm Gonna Get It'

chronicdesi

Let's just hope the first thing Joe does this offseason is kick Al Saunders and his 700 page playbook out of town.

I agree with Taylor36's response here. Go back and look at the kind of success Saunders has had. The #1 offense four years in a row. How is that possible? Obviously, it wasn't a fluke. We need to hang on to Saunders and work this out.

a chip off the old block :D

That statement just gave me freaking chills. I hate those Cowboys too.

That's what puzzles the crap out of me with todays Redskin fans. How can anyone start a thread asking who's our biggest rival, some peoples children. :doh:

The real failures this year have been the assistants Coach Gibbs empowered...GW and AS have let JG down big time.

Hopefully they have learned and are capable of turning it around...growing pains are hard.

Absolutely. This disastrous season is just as much, if not more GW's fault than Gibbs. Gibbs directs the blame towards himself, which is of course a humble and selfless act, but he is going to have to hold other coaches accountable for this season's debacle. This article wouldn't have been written if the defense hadn't lost us a few games.

Anyway, loved the article. I have complete faith that Gibbs will right this ship. We were so close last year. We will reattain that doggedness, and surpass it with a more efficient offense, IMO. Next year, we will see a hybrid Gibbs / Saunders scheme. If Gregg Williams can hold up his end of the deal, then we will be in fine shape.

I just hate the fact I have to wait until next friggin' season for meaningful results. :mad:

:logo:

:doh: Have you ever heard of a thing called consitancy??? The Redskins have been lacking that for too long. Everybody that knows anything about Saunders and his system said it would take atleast a year to really get it going. So, now, after the year is up, you want to just start all over. :doh1:

thank you for not being a moron taylor. its fans like that guy who don't understand football.

that 700 page playbook takes more than 1 offseason to master. it relies heavily on timing, which JC probably won't even have down by next year. i just hope we still have portis/moss/a good line by the time he gets it, if he does.

Absolutely. This disastrous season is just as much, if not more GW's fault than Gibbs. Gibbs directs the blame towards himself, which is of course a humble and selfless act, but he is going to have to hold other coaches accountable for this season's debacle. This article wouldn't have been written if the defense hadn't lost us a few games.

That doesn't let Gibbs off the hook, tho. He's the head coach. He should have a handle on his own team's situation. The fact that he didn't, and that it took this long to deal with it is one on Gibbs.

I think Gibbs is used to just handling the offensive side of the ball and not having to think about the defensive side of the ball. He's been spoiled that way by Pettibon. Now, hopefully, he will recognise these things and nip them in the butt before they become big problems.

Jason

If this article doesn’t teach you about the virtues of strong character, clean karma and an indelible spirit,

Then perhaps nothing ever will

I love this man like a beloved grandfather…

HAIL GIBBS!!!!!!

WITHOUT HIM,

WE'D BE ON PAR WITH PHILLY WITH REGARDS TO BEING A NO TITLE TOWN LOSER CITY

:eaglesuck

:::SONS OF WASHINGTON:::

:doh: Have you ever heard of a thing called consitancy??? The Redskins have been lacking that for too long. Everybody that knows anything about Saunders and his system said it would take atleast a year to really get it going. So, now, after the year is up, you want to just start all over. :doh1:

It does not take a season to learn an offense. This is a myth.

Don't believe me. Ask Saunders. When asked about this in the beginning of the season when the O was strugging he said that was not the problem. He went on to say that Martz had no problem teaching Warner (who had never played a down in the NFL) and the rest of the Rams the offense. The Rams just went to the SB Martz's first year w/ the team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...91800014_2.html

Or how about what the players said in training camp. We all have seen the Brunell quote about the SB. Why say that if you are struggling to learn the O?

Or look at the coaches actions. They went out and traded a 3rd pick for Duckett who is a FA. Why do that if this is a throw away year and you are learning the offense? Or way not play Campbell more, at least in the preseason (The Cowboys had Romo sits to pee play one whole game; Bledsoe did not take a snap). Did they expect Brunell to be the starter for the SB run 2007? NO! They expected to make a SB run this year.

Or look at other teams. The Saint brought in a new QB, and HC that runs a new offense, they have TWO rookies that are important to the offense that I know about (Bush and the 7th round reciever. They might have more, but if for example they are starting a rookie OL I wouldn't know), and they traded their #1 reciever towards the end of training camp after he and the new QB should have been developing some sort of chemistry. Is their O struggling?

NO! Their starting running back (Deuce) is going to break 1,000 yards and their QB possibly is going to break a record for yards passing.

They managed to integrate a new O, and new QB's and several rookies all in training camp. Before Brunell was benched, we had a new O, and two new VETERN WR, and out O still stunk! Learning the system is not an explanation.

The coaches nor players expected it to be a problem and other teams are able to integrate a new O, w/ players that are younger and in general less familiar w/ one on another and not just succeed, but excel.

Don't stop there. Sack up and admit you're comparing Gibbs to Norv, that way, you can dazzle us all with your football IQ...................

I am comparing Gibbs 2.0 to Norv. Sure, why not? Norv gave us a playoff year and a lot of mediocre seasons.

Anyway, I understand the need for consistency. But if you are doing the same thing consistently poorly, I don't see the benefit of staying the course. The Saunders experiment reminds me of the first give games of Gibbs 1.0. It sounded great in theory, but it was not the right offense for the NFC East.

Maybe I'm wrong, and we are going to be the '99 Rams next year. I would rather just line up and run off-tackle though. And Gibbs is better suited than Saunders to run that kind of offense.

I am comparing Gibbs 2.0 to Norv. Sure' date=' why not? Norv gave us a playoff year and a lot of mediocre seasons.[/quote']

Except it wasn't until the end that Norv got us to the playoffs, while Gibbs did it last year.

Anyway, I understand the need for consistency. But if you are doing the same thing consistently poorly, I don't see the benefit of staying the course. The Saunders experiment reminds me of the first give games of Gibbs 1.0. It sounded great in theory, but it was not the right offense for the NFC East.

Until we see actually run it correctly, it is kinda hard to judge. It is pretty obvious that Brunell was never comfortable with it, and Campbell only has three games under his belt.

Maybe I'm wrong, and we are going to be the '99 Rams next year. I would rather just line up and run off-tackle though. And Gibbs is better suited than Saunders to run that kind of offense.

Except that Gibbs will be gone in two years. The point is for Gibbs to leave this organization in better shape than when he got here.

Jason

Gibbs has one of the great stone faces in sports. On the sideline, his expression seldom changes. With a hat often pulled low over his eyes, few can guess what the Redskins' coach is thinking. TV cameras ignore him. After a win, and far more often after a loss, he commands his emotions, measures his words and keeps the world at stiff-arm length.

Okay, nice article, but does Boswell watch the games? Ever seen someone more afraid of field goals than Gibbs? And I would imagine we've got a few memories of Gibbs after a game being pretty happy. If anything, he seems much less stone faced in 2.0.

happyGibbs.jpg

Okay, nice article, but does Boswell watch the games? Ever seen someone more afraid of field goals than Gibbs? And I would imagine we've got a few memories of Gibbs after a game being pretty happy. If anything, he seems much less stone faced in 2.0.

happyGibbs.jpg

I am just smiling ear to ear when I look at that picture. Joe I want to see more of that next year and I believe in you. All who posted positive thoughts in this thread believe in you. We are behind you and do whats best for the team for us please. We wanna win Joe and your the man to do it for us. :notworthy :applause: :dallasuck

Except it wasn't until the end that Norv got us to the playoffs, while Gibbs did it last year.

Until we see actually run it correctly, it is kinda hard to judge. It is pretty obvious that Brunell was never comfortable with it, and Campbell only has three games under his belt.

Except that Gibbs will be gone in two years. The point is for Gibbs to leave this organization in better shape than when he got here.

Jason

And Saunders is 60 and wants to be a head coach. Do you really think he is going to be here in, say, 2009?

And Saunders is 60 and wants to be a head coach. Do you really think he is going to be here in' date=' say, 2009?[/quote']

You really think that Saunders has a chance to be a head coach elsewhere?

Otherwise, I don't really see him going away anytime soon, unless Gibbs decides it is what is best for the team.

Jason

"It kind of tears me apart," Gibbs said in an interview. "In life I've had other times like this. You ask yourself: 'How did I get here? How do I get back? And how do I learn from this?' You have to face where you are. Don't be blind to the truth. Otherwise, you can't fix it."

This was the most telling thing to me as I'm a big believer that one has to be aware of one's limitations and be willing to address them.

I hadn't lost faith in Gibbs' determination, work ethic or will to win. However to be brutally honest, I was beginning to wonder whether the game had passed him by. This article went a long ways towards reaffirming my belief that he can get it done.

Oh, and I hope Santa has something really great for his grandson. He has, after all, been a very good boy. :cool:

:helmet:

I have no idea WHY everybody wants a GM in here so badly.

Take a look around the league wherever you have a losing team with a GM the fanbase says that the GM sucks and that they just need to give the coaches what they want (Atlanta, NY).

Leave JG in charge - he knows what he needs on the team and he's smart enough to plan for the future.

All of these reporters that say this stuff has passed JG by are nuts - honestly .. it's not that hard to understand and if all of these media people and fans can pick it up .. Im sure JG has figured it out.

The way I see it is GM's just add another layer of BS for the fans to complain about and another ways coaches and players can avoid taking blame.. I can hear it now.. 'We would win if it weren't for the GM!'

Leave JG in charge - he knows what he needs on the team and he's smart enough to plan for the future.

1.) Yeah, you can't argue with Moss, at the very least. That was a crazy bold move (take a disgruntled #2 and make him your O's focus) that's paid huge dividends. I don't see Gibbs getting the credit he should there. And heck, Portis for an unsignable Bailey is a good move, as was Brunell, like it or not. Sure, I wish he'd ridden the pine starting in the playoffs last year, but face it, the Skins won a playoff game (and Brunell certainly beat Dallas last year with two great heaves)! Wow. And whose pick was Sean Taylor? A beast, though perhaps a year before Gibbs? I'm getting too old to keep up.

2.) I would argue Coach Gibbs needs more GM Gibbs. Moss, Portis -- Gibbs. Duckett, his idea who, at the worst, got Betts signed. Campbell? Likely his.

Rodgers? Archuleta? Carter (though I think he'll come on)? Doubt that's Gibbs. That was his rubber stamp/delegation, not his set of picks, imo.

Are Randel El and Lloyd Saunders, or were they signed pre-Al? ARE is money, man, money, like Chris Morton could never be. And Thrash, that's Gibbs (via Bubba). All Thrash does is catch huge passes when the "starters" are hurt and play some mean special teams. Good moves.

wow. great article.

My company is going through a accounting system transition, and I was actually committed to not watching the Redskins on Sunday - only the second or third time in 18 years I would have missed a game live on television or in a stadium... that is how low I've been feeling recently about the Redskins...

but what a douche-bag I am... reading this Boswell article puts it all in perspective for me... you keep trying... regardless... never lose faith... and, yes, maybe in the end, you are never where you want to be... but it is not about the destination or end results - sorry, I know a lot of you will disagree with me about this -, but it is about the journey and how you conduct yourself and how committed you are to being excellent, whether you achieve that or not...

I believe in Joe Gibbs... he's earned five life-times of commitment from me as a fan... now, I need to step up to the plate as a fan - wince through the hard-times, but stay committed, and not undermine what he is now trying to rebuild again. yes, I'm watching on Sunday... and I will continue to watch, even if we never have a winning season, as badly as I want that...

Archived