Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs: 'I'm Gonna Get It'

chronicdesi

Bring on all the haters who say Fire Joe Gibbs. Bring on the haters that say the game has passed him by. Sure, he's made mistakes in player personnel and he freely admits it. He's considering hiring a GM. He will get this thing turned around.

You all said he was the savior when he returned. I said the same thing. I still believe.

It does not take a season to learn an offense. This is a myth.

Don't believe me. Ask Saunders. When asked about this in the beginning of the season when the O was strugging he said that was not the problem. He went on to say that Martz had no problem teaching Warner (who had never played a down in the NFL) and the rest of the Rams the offense. The Rams just went to the SB Martz's first year w/ the team.

The problem is that the Rams had probably the best players at just about every offensive position in the league. Bruce was a Great receiver and Holt was a rookie, their OL was very good and Faulk was probably the best back in the league. All they were missing there was a QB and Warner came in and immediately played better than any other QB in the league. Our offense isn't running like theirs was. Warner got rid of the ball usually less than 2 seconds after the snap. Campbell and Brunell take a lot more time.

I think the old Rams offense was very good but you saw a couple years later how it fell apart so easily. That offense requires much better players than Gibbs offense and absolutely requires an elite QB. Gibbs offense can get by with average players at most positions. Thats why I think we suck on offense. We don't have the QB or the OL for it.

the Redskins don't play inside in a dome. unlike the Rams, Vikings and Colts who have had prolific passing offenses in recent years, the Redskins in the Northeast in November and December have to run the football to win games. We all know that.

this offensive line is a good run blocking line, Portis and Betts are a very good 1-2 punch and with Moss and Cooley the team has the tools to loosen defenses up with Campbell stretching the field with his arm when defenses have 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run.

the nature of this offense isn't going to change now. the only thing that is going to change is that when teams do run blitz and stuff the box, the Redskins now have the arm at quarterback to beat them down the field and make them pay.

Brunell simply couldn't make the throws. The plays were there.

If Saunders is going to stay and be successful it will have to be in melding his previous style with the strengths of this group of players.

Some of his ideas, such as using the backs in the passing game more are a good idea.

This team could also use more slants and crossing patterns as the Redskins too often under Brunell allowed the defense to own the middle of the field.

But, ultimately, it will be #26 and #46 toting the rock behind the OL for 30-35 rushes a game.

That is the way to win 11-12 games in the East.

I got chills reading this article. :logo:

So did I. It renewed my faith. Anyone who betts against Gibbs getting this thing right is crazy. I just have this image of him hoisting one more Lombardi that I can't get out of my head. I'm just SURE he will do it.

I do hope they hire a GM and give Gibbs back play calling duties and return to a structure that actually works, not this crazy coach-as-CEO thing. Gibbs needs to be fully in charge of the team on the field and someone else needs to handle picking the players (with input from Gibbs of course).

the Redskins don't play inside in a dome. unlike the Rams, Vikings and Colts who have had prolific passing offenses in recent years, the Redskins in the Northeast in November and December have to run the football to win games. We all know that.

this offensive line is a good run blocking line, Portis and Betts are a very good 1-2 punch and with Moss and Cooley the team has the tools to loosen defenses up with Campbell stretching the field with his arm when defenses have 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run.

the nature of this offense isn't going to change now. the only thing that is going to change is that when teams do run blitz and stuff the box, the Redskins now have the arm at quarterback to beat them down the field and make them pay.

Brunell simply couldn't make the throws. The plays were there.

If Saunders is going to stay and be successful it will have to be in melding his previous style with the strengths of this group of players.

Some of his ideas, such as using the backs in the passing game more are a good idea.

This team could also use more slants and crossing patterns as the Redskins too often under Brunell allowed the defense to own the middle of the field.

But, ultimately, it will be #26 and #46 toting the rock behind the OL for 30-35 rushes a game.

That is the way to win 11-12 games in the East.

:applause: :applause:

amen, bulldog. you are RIGHT on with this post. im ok w/ saunders staying as long as gibbs calls the plays. i dont trust saunders not to go into his trick bag just as we are establishing dominance w/ the O. gibbs is perfectly capable of airing it out once we own the line of scrimage as anyone familiar w/ the 1991 team can attest. remember all the 400 and 500 yard games we put up w/ rypien to clark/monk et al?

its really the D that worries me more than the O. we dont have enuf playmakers there right now. im still hopeful about a. carter and looking fwded to rocky replacing holdman but we are still a little thin at d-line, linebacker and in the secondary after g. williams let so much talent walk.

i hope we can some upgrades on d but not sure i see it happening.

if we do, this team under campbell and w/ gibbs back in charge should certainly be able to make wage a much stronger campaign next year and be in a position to fight for a couple home playoff games.

I think you are going to see a revamped defense in 2007:

1. A young DE will be taken in the draft at the top to anchor the line. A two-way player in the mold of a Stahan or Howard that is 6'5 and 275/280. Griffin will return as the key inside at DT. Golston and Montgomery will continue to be brought along. I think Boschetti is done after this season is over, the youngsters have more talent. Wynn's contract blows up in 2007 and I don't see the Redskins restructuring the deal of a player that will be 33 next season. Ditto for Joe Salavea. Good player, his body has just started to break down from cumulative injuries.

2. Marshall will be replaced in the middle and be movd back to the outside where he will compete with McIntosh for the weakside job. Washington will stay at SLB. The Redskins will sign a FA to play inside, a guy 245-250 with decent lateral speed.

3. Springs won't be back at CB at age 32. I think the Redskins will make a strong push to use free agency to land a younger #1 corner to team with Rogers. I think Prioleau if he is healthy will come back to take the strong safety job. Troy Vincent at 36 can be a viable rover in the backfield, as a #3 corner and also as a safety at FS and SS.

Wright and Rumph are done here. Fox will be retained as a key special teams performer and additional depth at S. The team will still need to add a young corner or two as developmental prospects. It would be nice if the front office could find a UDFA for us the team can bring along the way Beathard used to :)

I think the old Rams offense was very good but you saw a couple years later how it fell apart so easily. That offense requires much better players than Gibbs offense and absolutely requires an elite QB. Gibbs offense can get by with average players at most positions. Thats why I think we suck on offense. We don't have the QB or the OL for it.

Except we aren't running the Gibbs offense. We're running the Saunders' offense, and Saunders talks about his offense and Martz's offense as if the were the same thing.

In general, you hit the nail on the head w/ your first paragraph. The Rams offense was good the first year because they had good players. This offense is not very good because they don't have very good players. Funny how that works, if you have good players learning the offense is not an issue.

1.) 2.) I would argue Coach Gibbs needs more GM Gibbs. Moss, Portis -- Gibbs. Duckett, his idea who, at the worst, got Betts signed. Campbell? Likely his.

Rodgers? Archuleta? Carter (though I think he'll come on)? Doubt that's Gibbs. That was his rubber stamp/delegation, not his set of picks, imo.

The first part makes no sense. How did getting Duckett get Betts to sign? Is it worth a 3rd round pick to get Betts to sign? I don't really think so.

In the second part, at best you are saying Gibbs rubber stamped some bad moves. That is arguement to keep in on as GM?

Brunnel was bad because they traded for him, and then gave him to much money. If they just would have waited Jax would have cut him.

I get the true theme of this thread....Lionize Gibbs.....Hail Gibbs! and all that junk.

There are so many holes in the arguments to praise JG.....He got JC, Duckett, ARE and LLoyd....to hold clipboards for way too much and way too long.....He got MB, Carter and Archuleta for way too much, passed on Abraham, Pierce, Smoot, Harris, LA, PR and others. Where does his godliness come in? Get rid of JG the GM.

Except we aren't running the Gibbs offense. We're running the Saunders' offense, and Saunders talks about his offense and Martz's offense as if the were the same thing.

In general, you hit the nail on the head w/ your first paragraph. The Rams offense was good the first year because they had good players. This offense is not very good because they don't have very good players. Funny how that works, if you have good players learning the offense is not an issue.

We dont have a quality OL but our WR's are great and our current QB. We have paid way too high a price for every single one but they are great. The OL and defense are what keep us from being the Rams. They scored alot and kept the other team from scoring. 42-10 was a normal score for them.

I'm confident Gibbs will turn this around. Especially if he is willing to get a GM and go back to playing Joe Gibbs football, or at least something that is a mix of that and the Al Saunders offense.

If Gibbs can't fix this team, then who the hell else can??? :whoknows:

In Gibbs I Trust!

Very well said. I don't think a coaching change is in order either. Hail!

I think you are going to see a revamped defense in 2007:

:)

good analysis. if all that happens, and we fix the coaching diva problem, the d has a chance to return at least to the top 10 or 15 and really give us a shot.

i dont know if i could take another season watching teams cram the ball down our throats. for my money ill take a modest O and a dominating D any day.

It's a nice article. But I'm not going to get excited over words anymore. Articles in the pre-season had Carlos rogers ready to play instinctively and show his true talent, and I was pumped. Few months later and he hasn't done diddly squat. That's indicative of how this whole season has gone, for everyone. I'll believe what this organization has to say when they start showing it on the field and when they change their player acquisition system. Not before then.

I'm going to agree with Bulldog on this one. In reading this again, I'm going to read between the lines and say that Coach is going to be taking a much more hands on approach to things than he may have in the recent past. I know I am guilty of a little asssumption here in thinking that maybe Coach takes the opinion of his assistants on what personel to cut and who to keep. Who to go out and get and how they'll fit into things. He'll be taking a look at all film of all players and then looking at Williams, Saunders, ( which he probably is doing big time now), and going "Ummmm. I thought you said......" Or something like that. I also believe he'll be encouraging his coaches to do more of the same.

I'm confident Gibbs will turn this around. Especially if he is willing to get a GM and go back to playing Joe Gibbs football, or at least something that is a mix of that and the Al Saunders offense.

If Gibbs can't fix this team, then who the hell else can??? :whoknows:

In Gibbs I Trust!

Gibbs football? do we tweak Saunders offensive system? or cut him loose?

Hmmmmmm.........

We dont have a quality OL but our WR's are great and our current QB. We have paid way too high a price for every single one but they are great. The OL and defense are what keep us from being the Rams. They scored alot and kept the other team from scoring. 42-10 was a normal score for them.

Our WR are not great. A great WR should be in multiple pro bowls. Moss has been to one pro bowl. That suggests he's good. The rest of them have been to 0, and none of them are going this year. That at best makes them decent. Our QB might become great, but he is not great right now. He has not had a single game w/ a QB rating over 100. Great QB's avg. over 100.

The OL might be the best unit on the O. Look at the number sacks they've given up, and the production that Portis/Betts have had.

Archived