Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirwan On Campbell

Hooper

Which side of the fence are you??  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of the fence are you??

• Keep the playoff hopes ALIVE!!!
    • Get ready for next year with a year under JC's belt!
    • Undecided... TBD...

I just wish they'd open up the playbook a little more for him, instead of taking all these baby steps. We'll never know what he can do unless he's given the entire thing. The fact that he called his own play on that Cooley touchdown tells you what kind of athlete he is. Use him!
I'm with ya on that.

What do you find more exciting? The three and outs or the inaccurate throws?

Look, Campbell has promise, but our offense has been atrocious since he took over. I love what he may be able to bring us as well. I'm just not sure I get the love affair with how horribly he played last week after only a fair first game. He has a LOT to improve on to get us legitimately excited unless your sole pleasure comes from the fact he happens to have the ability to throw the ball reasonably down the field.

first off his frist game he played GREAT...his qb rating was 92, thats sick for your first start. and last week hey missed a few passes but he played good overall. A lot of those 3 and outs in the begining was because on 3rd and one we would run it and couldn't pick it up. Give the kid some time for cryin out loud i think he will only get better each and every start. Can't wait for sunday, go skins!!

I just wish they'd open up the playbook a little more for him, instead of taking all these baby steps. We'll never know what he can do unless he's given the entire thing. The fact that he called his own play on that Cooley touchdown tells you what kind of athlete he is. Use him!

Tell me about it. For a while there, he looks like he was making all of the throws that Mark Brunell made. It was as if he was told not to take any chances with this throws. I think they should just open things up for him and take him out for a real test drive. It could only help in his development and give the coaching staff a better idea of what he's capable of.

As for Art's comment, I happy about the kid's performance so far. You have to expect some of the over throws because he's young and you expect those things to happen. As for the three and outs, I think the O may still be getting their timing down and becoming accustomed to a lot of his nuances(dropped passes and false starts). Also, the play calling in the first half of Sunday's game wasn't too hot either.

It's not like the O has regressed or gotten that much worse, since he's taken the helm.

He has also done it without Portis and a healthy Moss.

We've all seen how Roethlisberger has done with just Bettis gone after their success last year and Rivers and Manning have 2 of the best backs in the league making their jobs easier.

Sooner or later Campbell will have a really bad game though. Just hope it's not Roethlisberger bad. He's really stunk it up at times and so has Grossman. Even Rivers had a bad game or two.

Per Elias Sports Bureau:

Jason Campbell threw a pair of touchdown passes in the Redskins' 17-13 win over the Panthers. Although Campbell is only the fourth player to throw at least two TD passes in each of his first two NFL games, that list includes two other Redskins QBs: Mark Rypien (1988) and Gus Frerotte (1994). The other player was Greg Cook of the AFL's Bengals in 1969.

That might sound depressing at first...but we did win a super bowl with Rypien after all. And Frerotte was actually pretty good until he cracked his skull and lost about a dozen IQ points.

It's obvious you still have a hard on for Brunell

Actually, no. I thought it was fairly obvious Brunell could not perform to the level we needed because he was so limited physically. I was estatic Campbell was put in. Hell, I even wrote an article on Redskins.com mentioning before the Bucs game how exciting it was for us as fans to enter the game with Campbell playing.

What it ought to be obvious is some people here, you obviously among them, are too stupid to realize while Brunell was physically limited and incapable, Campbell has thusfar been MENTALLY limited and inexperienced, thus, creating largely the same offense we had with Brunell.

As someone said above, the difference is you can envision Campbell overcoming his limitations with playing time and Brunell could only overcome his, if at all, with rest. Campbell's being judged on a very different scale now than Brunell, which is largely acceptable and appropriate. But, there is absolutely nothing to get excited about when the offense has the ball, because, he's done absolutely nothing yet to make you think things are ready to take off.

When he does that, we'll know it, and be intelligently and reasonably excited by what he's actually done rather than merely what we hope he might one day do.

first off his frist game he played GREAT...his qb rating was 92, thats sick for your first start. and last week hey missed a few passes but he played good overall. A lot of those 3 and outs in the begining was because on 3rd and one we would run it and couldn't pick it up. Give the kid some time for cryin out loud i think he will only get better each and every start. Can't wait for sunday, go skins!!

A QB rating of 92 is how you judge QB play?

Brunell had a 102 rating in a WIN against the Cowboys, where he threw the ball down field and accurately and had people screaming for his head. Tony Romo sits to pee played great against the Bucs. Campbell did not. Want to know how well he played? At halftime, you had a Hall of Fame quarterback clowning on him and the team. I told him, "Sorry Sonny, but, every fan of this team will be thrilled because two passes went more than 10 yards whether complete or not." He seemed surprised fans would be that stupid :). But, we are. It's ok we are.

When Campbell consistently completes passes, moves the team, maintains drives and gets points on the board, while putting up more than 190 yards in a GREAT game, we can start actually thinking he's playing great and he's not merely poised or has potential. Right now he's still hope over anything else. That's what we need him to be. He hasn't killed the hope. Let's not pretend he's arrived yet.

Brunell had a 102 rating in a WIN against the Cowboys, where he threw the ball down field and accurately and had people screaming for his head. Tony Romo sits to pee played great against the Bucs. Campbell did not. Want to know how well he played? At halftime, you had a Hall of Fame quarterback clowning on him and the team. I told him, "Sorry Sonny, but, every fan of this team will be thrilled because two passes went more than 10 yards whether complete or not." He seemed surprised fans would be that stupid :). But, we are. It's ok we are.

When Campbell consistently completes passes, moves the team, maintains drives and gets points on the board, while putting up more than 190 yards in a GREAT game, we can start actually thinking he's playing great and he's not merely poised or has potential. Right now he's still hope over anything else. That's what we need him to be. He hasn't killed the hope. Let's not pretend he's arrived yet.

Damn Art, you should put a filter on that truth.

Yer gonna poke someone's eye out.

The excitement i have with campbell is knowing our offense can now run all of the plays because we have a qb who can throw to any spot on the field, his ability alone is reason to be excited. Its also reason for the Defense to consider him a threat to pass and keep the safties honest. You can throw numbers at me or point to inaccurate passes, but last time i checked, there is no QB out there throwing 10+ yards downfield and spot on with every throw, not even Peyton.

I see his ability to break tackles, a cool poise when the rush is coming, tall, fast, and most of all lots of arm strength....all qualities that Brunell did not have

Look, Campbell has promise, but our offense has been atrocious since he took over. I love what he may be able to bring us as well. I'm just not sure I get the love affair with how horribly he played last week after only a fair first game. He has a LOT to improve on to get us legitimately excited unless your sole pleasure comes from the fact he happens to have the ability to throw the ball reasonably down the field.

I think that what some might be forgetting is the caliber of defenses Campbell went up aginst in his first couple starts. Carolina has one of the best and Tampa is certainly no slouch on that side of the ball. I think that should be taken into consideration.

We should find out a whole lot more about him this week when he goes up against a D that is ranked near the bottom of the league against the pass.

So far though, I think he brings a great deal of hope for the future! I'm all for it!

I think that what some might be forgetting is the caliber of defenses Campbell went up aginst in his first couple starts. Carolina has one of the best and Tampa is certainly no slouch on that side of the ball. I think that should be taken into consideration.

We should find out a whole lot more about him this week when he goes up against a D that is ranked near the bottom of the league against the pass.

So far though, I think he brings a great deal of hope for the future! I'm all for it!

His numbers aside - which weren't great - is his calm, poise and nothing seems to get to him. He has done everything Brunell is capable of doing. His TD passes have been good-to-great throws. 3 of the four get tossed out of the back of the end-zone. The 4th maybe doesn't happen b.c he has to call timeout to go get the play.

I am really looking forward to the kid developing.

Look if the man wants to be excited about JC...let him be happy. As skins fans there has'nt been much to be excited about for years. Why do you have to try and ruin his happiness? Bahumbug

I like the kid and I'm excited to have him play out the rest of the season.

Hopefully Portis will be healthy by the start of the 2007 season, Campbell will have a very good grasp of the offense, the receivers will have some chemistry with Campbell and Saunders can actually start using the real playbook instead of the one that has training wheels on it that we had been using due to Brunell and other factors.

I completely disagree....there is this word...its called potential.

Campbell has it, and he has show poise being out there for the first two games of his career....if you cant see that I dont know what to tell you.

Other than to watch and learn.

I find it mindboggling that you cant see what the Redskins have in this guy.

People are so obsessed with statistics that they view them as the end all for how a player is on the field.

Brunell had pretty descent numbers, but where did that get us.

Its not about stats, its about what he looks like when he is on the field, how he speaks off the field, and the fact that he looks like a natural born leader.

Luckily for you....because I know you want to be wrong, Campbell is for real and you will find out soon enough...as will the rest of us.

Just listen to the way this guy talks, how he acts, how he has command over this team after just one full season in the league and the fact that his teammates are already behind him.

two words remind me of brunell....ho-hum. Dont get me wrong, I like Brunell. But it is easy to see which QB this team belongs too.

SkinsNoles,

At no point have I suggested I lack awareness in what we have in Campbell. We have hope. We have signs of potential. We have some positive intangibles. I know that's what we have. What we don't have is a QB who makes you excited every series, because, he's not that productive yet. What we haven't had is a QB who has EVER in his two starts as a pro, played as well as our last starter just two starts ago against Dallas.

I do not doubt Campbell can be for real. I merely state he hasn't yet been.

look his recievers nor the playcalling helped.

SkinsNoles,

At no point have I suggested I lack awareness in what we have in Campbell. We have hope. We have signs of potential. We have some positive intangibles. I know that's what we have. What we don't have is a QB who makes you excited every series, because, he's not that productive yet. What we haven't had is a QB who has EVER in his two starts as a pro, played as well as our last starter just two starts ago against Dallas.

I do not doubt Campbell can be for real. I merely state he hasn't yet been.

sure he has. its not JC's fault that some perfectly thrown deep passes were dropped by his WR's. Lloyd in the first game and Cooley in the second. both passes were accurate and hit the WR in stride, DEEP. that is what we havent had but now possess.

There isnt nearly enough film on Campbell yet for D's to get a game plan for him. He may have some downswing for a bit in a few games, even if he is a potential great.

I love the kid and see tons of upside with experience and yes, even tough knocks. Lets just support him and see where he brings us after a full season.

What we don't have is a QB who makes you excited every series, because, he's not that productive yet.

To be honest he has excited me every series, so far. It's the excitement of the unknown, like opening those presents under the tree on Christmas Day. With our last qb I knew exactly what I was going to get, and excitement is not exactly the verb I would use to describe it.

What we haven't had is a QB who has EVER in his two starts as a pro, played as well as our last starter just two starts ago against Dallas.

Even a blind squirrel, Art. Even a blind squirrel. :)

Archived