Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"This is ouuuurrr couunnntttrrryyyy...."

Spaceman Spiff

If I have to hear this Goddamn commercial one more time I'm gonna go bat****. Is anyone else as sick of this as I am?

And I can't stand John Mellencamp. Who the hell is cool enough to self apply the nickname "Cougar"? If you're like, "Yeah, my name is John, but you can call me 'Cougar'" you better have a cool story that involves killing one with your barehands or something.

Anyway, use this space to vent on any commercials that are currently airing that you hate as much as this.

/offrant

Head On! Apply it directly to the forehead.

You get the hint! :laugh:

:laugh: I don't think I have anything to rant about but I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with your opinion on John Mellencamp. That was hilarious.

If I ever come across that dude I'm gonna kick him in the balls and drop him from a plane over Canada.

It's not OUR country this is MY country and it'll be a hell of a lot better without YOU in it, you hack.

/offrant

If I ever come across that dude I'm gonna kick him in the balls and drop him from a plane over Canada.

It's not OUR country this is MY country and it'll be a hell of a lot better without YOU in it, you hack.

/offrant

:rotflmao:

I say we start a petition urging him to fight a cougar bare handed so he can ****ing EARN that nickname!

I personally like Mellencamp's songs, at least most of his older ones like "Pink Houses" and "Authority Song." Also liked his newer one with Travis Tritt "What say you?" I don't always agree with his liberal politics though. Same goes for Springsteen.

/offrant

John Mellencamp rocks and he would beat your ass. :thumbsup:

Oh no he didnt!

John is like the melted drops of an icecream cone named Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band.

He's been scraping off Bruce's style since "Greetings from Asbury Park." You wanna hear REAL rock 'n roll? Put in the album "Born in the U.S.A."

:applause: You are 100% correct, sir.

And while we're at it, what's up with the pictures of Rosa Parks and Katrina victims. Are we seriously to the point where Rosa Parks is appearing in ads for trucks? Really?

I still find it hilarious that people attribute Springsteen's "Born in the USA" to being a patriotic song.

Well, I for one didn't say that. That whole album is more about a struggle, moreso than patriotism. The same should be said for the song, although, the chorus is probably the most patriotic anthem in R&R history.

Well, I for one didn't say that. That whole album is more about a struggle, moreso than patriotism. The same should be said for the song, although, the chorus is probably the most patriotic anthem in R&R history.

You should probably go read ALL of the lyrics and not just take the chorus out of context. ;)

He was called Johnny Cougar for purely marketing reasons...no different than all these knucklehead, gotta have street cred, rappers that give themselves silly names. And I believe it was him promoters that insisted he change his stage name...they didn;t think Mellencamp would sell.

Why's that? :whoknows: :whoknows:

When you hear that chorus you think (4th of July). Period. I'm looking at the non-contextual part when I say that. I already expressed my take on the entire song my last post.

Lyrics:

Born down in a dead man's town

The first kick I took was when I hit the ground

You end up like a dog that's been beat too much

'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]

Born in the U.S.A.

Born in the U.S.A.

Born in the U.S.A.

Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam

And so they put a rifle in my hands

Sent me off to Vietnam

To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery

Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"

I go down to see the V.A. man

He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn

Fighting off the Viet Cong

They're still there, he's all gone

He had a little girl in Saigon

I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary

Out by the gas fires of the refinery

I'm ten years down the road

Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.

Born in the U.S.A.

I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.

Born in the U.S.A.

The entire chorus is 'Born in the U.S.A.' which is, in and of itself, pretty nuetrual. So you HAVE to look at the rest of the lyrics, which are pretty far from the standard definition of American patriotism. If it wasn't for idiots like Reagan using the song as his campaing slogan and making people of today think of that connotation you wouldn't think of '4th of July' when you heard - which, by the way, is NOT what I think of. I think of Vietnam Vets getting treated like crap.

Interesting... you still haven't read my post you quoted. I said the entire album, including the song, is more about a struggle. A struggle. A...stru-ggle. O.K. I know my Bruce, this isn't the first time I've had this conversation. I don't care what happend with Reagan or any crap in the past. The chorus, the chorus, yells "BORRRRN in the U.S.A" with Bruce's full vigor. I don't care what city's fireworks show you go to on 4th of July, you'll most likely hear this song and people singing with it. You can take away the lyrics, btw, lol. :)

Interesting... you still haven't read my post you quoted. I said the entire album, including the song, is more about a struggle. A struggle. A...stru-ggle. O.K. I know my Bruce, this isn't the first time I've had this conversation. I don't care what happend with Reagan or any crap in the past. The chorus, the chorus, yells "BORRRRN in the U.S.A" with Bruce's full vigor. I don't care what city's fireworks show you go to on 4th of July, you'll most likely hear this song and people singing with it. You can take away the lyrics, btw, lol. :)

Okay, I agree about the struggle (though we may have different points of view as to what the struggle is about/for). I'll agree to disagree about the 4th of July imagery - not my fault other people have that connotation stuck in their head.

I'll leave the lyrics up in hopes someone who thinks the song is an ode to the American patriotic spirit wanders in here. :)

:cheers:

BTW - first concert I ever attend was Bruce's Born in the U.S.A. tour at the Silverdome. :D

If I have to hear this Goddamn commercial one more time I'm gonna go bat****. Is anyone else as sick of this as I am?

And I can't stand John Mellencamp. Who the hell is cool enough to self apply the nickname "Cougar"? If you're like, "Yeah, my name is John, but you can call me 'Cougar'" you better have a cool story that involves killing one with your barehands or something.

Anyway, use this space to vent on any commercials that are currently airing that you hate as much as this.

/offrant

The-Rock endorses everything stated in this post...oh and you could call me The-Rock but my friends call me "Leopard-Ultra-Tiger"

Archived