Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strahan says sacks are "overrated"

Oldskool

From Jabba the Len's column today

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2614021&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Disappointments

• DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora (New York Giants): The Giants' ends combined for 26 sacks in 2005 and both players, who provided New York an outside pincer-type pass rush, were named to the NFC Pro Bowl squad. Umenyiora's breakout year earned him a fat contract extension. Through three games this season, however, the pair has registered but one sack. Strahan and Umenyiora had 5½ sacks in the first three games last year, an auguring of what was to come the rest of the campaign. Strahan suggested last week that sacks are overrated, an unusual statement coming from a guy who is counting on his body of work in dumping NFL quarterbacks to get him into the Hall of Fame. Overrated or not, the Giants, who count on their ends to provide pressure, have just two sacks total. Given the team's shortcomings in the secondary, New York needs to generate more heat up front.

Sounds like someone is making excuses for his piss poor play so far this year.

Sacks are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they are great. However, it is pressure that is key! You don't have to get a sack to get in the head of a QB and make him make mistakes.

Sacks have an extremely high correlation to winning in the NFL. In fact from a statistical standpoint, there are many years where sacks have a higher correlation to winning than turnover margin.

Pressure is nice, but sacks are significantly more important than just getting good pressure as not only do sacks lose yardage, they also tend to force fumbles as well. Also, a sack can lead to say a 2nd and 20 situation where as pressure may lead to a 2nd and 10 situation (if the QB just throws the ball away). And that's likely to not only prevent the offense from getting a first down, but also forcing the offense's hand to throw that ball and make them more one dimensional and thus more turnover prone.

Fact is, in the last 10 years only 1 of the last 20 Super Bowl teams have had less than 40 sacks in the regular season. And that was the '01 Patriots who still had 38 sacks that year.

Saying sacks are overrated is usually what comes from defensive players and D-Coordinators when they aren't getting sacks. But it is an extremely important part of the game.

YAKUZA

Sacks are always on the tip of his toun-..what?

Seriously, I guess it's easy to say that if you have the single season record. Sacks are momentum swingers. Nothing pumps up the crowd or shuts an a crowd up more than a sack for a big loss.

Sacks have an extremely high correlation to winning in the NFL. In fact from a statistical standpoint, there are many years where sacks have a higher correlation to winning than turnover margin.

Pressure is nice, but sacks are significantly more important than just getting good pressure as not only do sacks lose yardage, they also tend to force fumbles as well. Also, a sack can lead to say a 2nd and 20 situation where as pressure may lead to a 2nd and 10 situation (if the QB just throws the ball away). And that's likely to not only prevent the offense from getting a first down, but also forcing the offense's hand to throw that ball and make them more one dimensional and thus more turnover prone.

Fact is, in the last 10 years only 1 of the last 20 Super Bowl teams have had less than 40 sacks in the regular season. And that was the '01 Patriots who still had 38 sacks that year.

Saying sacks are overrated is usually what comes from defensive players and D-Coordinators when they aren't getting sacks. But it is an extremely important part of the game.

YAKUZA

For every sack there is usually a much larger number of pressures. Many of the Super Bowl champs you mention had at least a 1:3 to 1:5 sack to pressure ratios. If you're getting sacks, you're usually getting lots of pressures.

No, you can not create a 2nd and 20 situation off a pressure, but you can create a 1st and 20 off the holding penalties the Oline begins to commit due to the pressure.

How can sacks be overrated, what happen when you get good pressure the whole game and a QB is raping your secondary? Sacks are very important becasue when you get one there is no pass. Which means there will know no yards.

Remember, a sack will happen a few times a game. Good pressure can happen 20 times! This will frustrate a QB more, resulting in hurried passes, throw aways and interceptions. Good pressure not only forces the QB out of the pocket, but makes the Oline work harder. Not only does the pressure wear them down, it promotes holding and procedure penalties!

if sacks are overated, then y did brett favre lay down for him to get the all time record?

Because they decided 20 years ago they'd keep track of that stat.

Strahan owns the record and is expected to produce sacks. Since he isn't, he is attempting to downplay them to try to get the media off him. I hope he never gets another!

I'm pretty sure when he was originally saying this it was in the context of judging a DE, he was saying you need to look at their ability to stop the run and not just their sack number, I think he might have even called out some other DE's who are big sackers but suck against the run, for some reason simeon rice comes to mind but don't quote me.

Sacks are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they are great. However, it is pressure that is key! You don't have to get a sack to get in the head of a QB and make him make mistakes.

Its is real tough to throw completions and TDs from under 280 pounds of DE. Pressure is real important to - but hitting and dropping a QB is a great way to slow down a passing game. Its amazing how much better your CBs are with a pass rush as well.

I guess he didn't think the same thing a few years back when Farve gave him a gimmie sack so he could break the single season sack record.

I guess when your not getting them as your supposed to, they don't mean that much anymore. That's a nice spin to a dismal performance by him thus far.

:gaintsuck

Sacks disrupt a quarterback also. They are not overrated. Strahan is just making excuses for their slow start this year.

I wish he hadn't made this statement because it can be taken out of context like you just did and it certainly sounds like an excuse.

In reality, sacks aren't that important. Pressures are more important because they disrupt the play even if it doesn't result in the QB losing yards. Sacks don't lead to interceptions, but pressures often do. The ability to create constant pressure (like the Bears did Sunday night vs. SEA) is more important than getting sacks once in a while and not getting near the QB at other times. Denver's 2005 defense is an excellent example of a team that didn't have a lot of sacks, but had a ton of pressures the negatively affect the opposing team's QB.

For every sack there is usually a much larger number of pressures. Many of the Super Bowl champs you mention had at least a 1:3 to 1:5 sack to pressure ratios. If you're getting sacks, you're usually getting lots of pressures.

No, you can not create a 2nd and 20 situation off a pressure, but you can create a 1st and 20 off the holding penalties the Oline begins to commit due to the pressure.

Well, you basically proved my point. More sacks usually equates to more pressure, thus sacks are important. Footballoutsiders.com did a study similar to this and the one factor they found that made sacks so powerful was that they increased the chances that the offense (mainly the QB) will now fumble the ball.

From what I've found, you want your team to total 40 sacks in the regular season (2.5 sacks per game). If you get that, you're most likely to have a playoff team.

YAKUZA

Sacks are overrated if your getting double teamed, and your teammates are benefiting, and if your getting pressure at key times in the game. They're also overated if you play strong against the run.

The only thing that's been impressive about Strahan this year so far, is that he's been getting stronger as the game go on. Against the Eagles, Runyan had his number in the first half, but he turned the tables on him and pretty much had him dominated in the 4th quarter and overtime.

Archived