Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Talking Right:How Conservatives Turned Liberals Into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking..

The Evil Genius

No, but they are a lot, lot better at it right now, and a lot more blatant in their relentless use of it. Basically, the Right is better organized and scripted right now.

In many ways, yes. The Rush Limbaugh's and Sean Hannity's are very good at using those terms to enegerize their bases.

However, many "comedians" or "entertainers" do the same thing on the left. John Stewart is damn funny and spends most of his time on political issues, on which he supports the left. The same with many musicians/actors/etc.

Both sides are so damn slimey.

In many ways, yes. The Rush Limbaugh's and Sean Hannity's are very good at using those terms to enegerize their bases.

However, many "comedians" or "entertainers" do the same thing on the left. John Stewart is damn funny and spends most of his time on political issues, on which he supports the left. The same with many musicians/actors/etc.

Both sides are so damn slimey.

How does Stewart do what Rush, Hannity, Savage et. all do? He exposes them as frauds on a comedy show none the less, snd hid schtick is nowhere near the hate spewed by that trio.

How does Stewart do what Rush, Hannity, Savage et. all do? He exposes them as frauds on a comedy show none the less, snd hid schtick is nowhere near the hate spewed by that trio.

"Maw, I tried my derndest. But the ol' dead horse still won' giddyup." ;)

well, im a more right leaning guy, ill say that outright. but i hate the whole seperation of the political spectrum, the hate words and such that pass between parties. extremetism is allways the downfall in politics and in the natl theatre, look at hitler and stalin or even more extreme persons from our own past, do you admire such people? anyways, work like this, although good intentioned actually fans the flame. as i am more leaning toward the right, i found some offensive things in the article, mostly in its hard to detect bias. but ive said here and elsewhere again and again that hatred and fighting in politics solves no issues, alienates, and creates unpleasantness, plus no individual citizen is actually having their best interests thought of when the shout wars and blame games and platforms are brought out.

the way to overcome such political ineptitude is for americans to realize that there are more moderates than extremists, and it also gives moderate an advantage in that we can see issues from both sides and share views with BOTH parties, therefore moderates are more united than extremists. there are two options: the moderates form their own party and make america prosper, while the extremeist way dies out, or both parties wake up and start giving us good moderate candidates who follow their own platform instead of a parties, a candidate who makes his own desisions for the best of the country, not his party.

until this happens works like this persist and no one really prospers in politics.

skinfan13, your above post (#38 in the thread) is dead on. I think at heart, we all WANT to be moderates. I think the extremists on both sides feel that they're being pushed that way by the extremists on the other side. I think each side is afraid if they give ground, the other side will just take more.

You're also correct in that party politics has become more important than the actual issues we face. With the unstability in the world, that's pretty damn dangerous IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can show me how you'll defeat terrorism, show me that you'll work to help the middle class, show me you have a plan for the future energy prospects of this country, show me you'll give my daughter a country she can be proud of and prosper in, and place this country at its foundation above all else, you've got my vote. I couldn't care less what letter comes after your name.

everybody seems to think the media is blowing it, but for the different reasons.

Liberals think that Conservatives are getting a free pass, and aren't being fact checked enough.

Conservatives think that the Media is being unfair and a lot harder on them than any other time.

If both groups think that the media is blowing it, then they must be doing something right.

Well, fact is that your logic is seriously flawed.... in reality they could both be right about the media being wrong... But the problem is that when Conservatives and Liberals are talking about the media they are talking about different things.... Liberals are talking about talk radio and fox news, Conservatives are talking about most major newspapers, and most tv news stations.

In reality they are both right about the parts of the media they are talking about, and that basicly doesnt amount to the media doing something right but more to the direction that they are doing almost everything wrong.....

Its like in baseball, if both sides are mad at the umpire it doesn't mean that he is right or consistant, just that he is wrong on both sides enough to have made both sides mad.

Honestly, the media doing things right would more than likely get both sides off their backs.

Of course you are exactly right. George Orwell was a famous observer on the power of political language. There has ALWAYS been a battle between interested parties to call something one thing or the other. "Settlements" or "towns?" "Kidnap" or "capture?" "Bomb" or "strike?" "Businessmen" or "Fat Cats?" After a while a convention is adopted, not just by the media, but by society. Eventually, conventional language can effect how people think. As Orwell famously said, "if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought."

Don't forget "pro life" and "pro choice".

Yes, words (or "branding") do matter.

The reason the GOP controls all forms of Govt right now is that they are better at the politics of politics. I've been saying that here for years now. It's not that the left/Dems dont try to do the exact same things. They just arent as good at it. (see Air America).

Your post shows exactly what most in this thread have been talking about. Both sides do the same thing in different ways. If you honestly feel that Jon Stewart or Keith Olberman don't have the same agendas as Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, you are fooling yourself. LIke others have said, people only think the other side is unfair. It is not surprising that you, being very much liberal, would feel as though the conservatives are the ones doing the wordsmithing to fit their cause. Colbert/Stewart/Olberman do the same thing for the left, but they do it with humor.

*edit to add* - If you ever listen to Limbaugh/Hannity, it seems obvious to most what they are doing. Still, those who are very conservative don't see it. They honestly think that Limbaugh/Hannity are speaking the complete truth and everybody else is wrong. Same goes with the left.

If anyone has perfected the art of twisting language it is the liberals.

Notice how they don't even call themselves liberals anymore. They are "progressives". Hmm, wonder why that is?

Other examples of liberal double speak:

1. "terrorists" are now "militants", "militia", "seperatists", "guerillas"

2. "tax cuts" are "bonuses for the rich"

3. condemning the country is now "patriotic dissent"

4. having an abortion is "being pro-choice"

5. a democracy responding to terror attacks is now "a cycle of violence"

If anyone has perfected the art of twisting language it is the liberals.

Notice how they don't even call themselves liberals anymore. They are "progressives". Hmm, wonder why that is?

Other examples of liberal double speak:

1. "terrorists" are now "militants", "militia", "seperatists", "guerillas"

2. "tax cuts" are "bonuses for the rich"

3. condemning the country is now "patriotic dissent"

4. having an abortion is "being pro-choice"

5. a democracy responding to terror attacks is now "a cycle of violence"

Repeating points already made is "redundant."

On this board 'liberal' is used 99% more than progressive - on both sides. As for #3 - most liberals don't consider it 'condemning' so that is kind of a moot point.

It happens on both sides - get over it.

Edit - I also think its funny how upset conservatives are over 'pro-choice', personally I think 'pro-life' sounds so much better. Wonder who made that one up?

Archived