Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Talking Right:How Conservatives Turned Liberals Into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking..

The Evil Genius

Your post shows exactly what most in this thread have been talking about. Both sides do the same thing in different ways. If you honestly feel that Jon Stewart or Keith Olberman don't have the same agendas as Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, you are fooling yourself. LIke others have said, people only think the other side is unfair. It is not surprising that you, being very much liberal, would feel as though the conservatives are the ones doing the wordsmithing to fit their cause. Colbert/Stewart/Olberman do the same thing for the left, but they do it with humor.

*edit to add* - If you ever listen to Limbaugh/Hannity, it seems obvious to most what they are doing. Still, those who are very conservative don't see it. They honestly think that Limbaugh/Hannity are speaking the complete truth and everybody else is wrong. Same goes with the left.

Yeah, but the difference is Stewart will call out BOTH sides, isn't a blind puppet and will gladly chew out/expose a Democrat just as quickly as a Republican. I think we all know full well you can't even come close to saying the same about Limbaugh/Hannity. Besides that, Stewart isn't a dumb, ignorant propaganda spewing pill popper.

Edit: I'm not saying the Dems don't use the same tactits, they do and they aren't half as good at it either, but to say Stewart is part of that or is even comparable to those ****ing jackasses is ludicrous.

Your post shows exactly what most in this thread have been talking about. Both sides do the same thing in different ways. If you honestly feel that Jon Stewart or Keith Olberman don't have the same agendas as Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, you are fooling yourself. LIke others have said, people only think the other side is unfair. It is not surprising that you, being very much liberal, would feel as though the conservatives are the ones doing the wordsmithing to fit their cause. Colbert/Stewart/Olberman do the same thing for the left, but they do it with humor.

*edit to add* - If you ever listen to Limbaugh/Hannity, it seems obvious to most what they are doing. Still, those who are very conservative don't see it. They honestly think that Limbaugh/Hannity are speaking the complete truth and everybody else is wrong. Same goes with the left.

I don't have a problem with the fact that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity campaign for Republicans all day everyday. I have a problem with the fact that they are liars and manipulators. If you can show me where Jon Stewert or Colbert lied to make people hate Republicans I'd like to see it.

Here is an example of Rush Limbaugh deliberately distorting the facts in an attempt to manipulate his listeners into hating the liberal biased media.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155810&page=1&highlight=limbaugh+iraq

I don't have a problem with the fact that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity campaign for Republicans all day everyday. I have a problem with the fact that they are liars and manipulators. If you can show me where Jon Stewert or Colbert lied to make people hate Republicans I'd like to see it.

They are not the same, not even close. You are correct that they all have poltical leanings, but that is where the similarity ends.

Umm... you may not want to lump Colbert in with Stewart. He openly lies, and openly admits it - that is part of his schtick.

Yeah, but the difference is Stewart will call out BOTH sides, isn't a blind puppet and will gladly chew out/expose a Democrat just as quickly as a Republican. I think we all know full well you can't even come close to saying the same about Limbaugh/Hannity. Besides that, Stewart isn't a dumb, ignorant propaganda spewing pill popper.

If you don't think that Jon Stewart openly supports the democrats, then we can't really continue. He doesn't not call out both sides the same. He interviews democrats and just sits there and lets them talk the whole time. If he breaks in with a joke, it is aimed at the republicans. Anybody who believes that Stewart is "fair and balanced" is a liberal who happens to agree with Stewart and doesn't notice his actions. It is exactly the same as the Limbaugh listeners thinking that he is always being fair with the facts. Also, say what you will about Rush Limbaugh, but he isn't "dumb" by any stretch.

Everybody distorts the facts in the way that they choose. Jon Stewart and Keith Olberman do the same thing. Everybody twists words to make the opposition seem bad.

Stephen Colbert's whole schtick is to pretend to be a republican and act stupid. That is the whole "Colbert Report" show. Personally, I think it's a damn funny show, but it is what it is. If I were a republican I would probably be pretty sick of show.

"The reason the GOP controls all forms of Govt right now is that they are better at the politics of politics"

that is absolutely wrong- although the libs believe it and I am glad they do. the reason the GOP has been in power for 12 years is that their IDEAS are superior to liberal ones.

Americans want lower taxes, lower taxes mean MORE income for the government. They want less bureaucratic intrusions in their lives, less defense of endangered birds over the needs of human beings, more devotion to faith, family and country.

and as we continue to destroy the mainstream media which had a 40 year monopoly of liberalism- the ideas of the GOP will continue to be disseminated.

You obviously missed my point, as the person used a pretty moderate guy and associated him with the radical extreme right wing which has a LOT ov viewers. Never once did I say my side was right, I just simply stated that Stewart is no where NEAR as divisive, hate filled or polarizing as Rush, Hannity or Savage.

That is what people on the right don't understand. They equate the Washington post with the Washington Times. One is a credible news paper, the other is a propaganda wing of the RNC. Same with Fox News and CNN. Does CNN show a little liberal bias? Sure, sometimes they do, just as they show a conservative bias sometimes too. Does Fox show a liberal bias? Nope, not at all.

So while one conglomerate dominates their entire scheduling with politics, the other actually TRIES to achieve a balance. This is why the republicans won the culture wars, they got a bunch of people to believe in the "evil liberal media" myth, and force fed them propaganda. Hell, it is easy to get a population to believe what you want them to as long aws you have their ear.

"The reason the GOP controls all forms of Govt right now is that they are better at the politics of politics"

that is absolutely wrong- although the libs believe it and I am glad they do. the reason the GOP has been in power for 12 years is that their IDEAS are superior to liberal ones.

Really? Since when is bankrupting our country, isolating America from the rest of the world, and creating a state of perpetual war "superior Ideas"??? oh yea, probably when the military industrial complex conglomerate you work for, Lockheed Martin, decided to pay your salary. . . or I mean when joe Taxpayer decided to pay it.

Americans want lower taxes, lower taxes mean MORE income for the government. They want less bureaucratic intrusions in their lives, less defense of endangered birds over the needs of human beings, more devotion to faith, family and country.

You really believe the BS you are spewing? WOW, see you are not totally useless, you can always serve as a bad example ;)

To make blanket statements without phrasing the question correctly, is of course, completely wrong. I could get two different answers to the exact same question depending on the language and words I used. Don't believe me? Take a look at the Bull$h** show with Frank Luntz, he even comes out and demonstrates how he does this. The polls are skewed to believe what a pollster WANTS the results to be.

Hell, if I went around and asked everyone if they were for "paying lower taxes" everyone would say "yes". if I asked them the REAL question, such as would you agree to a tax cut with the money coming at a cost education, the elderly and poor, the VAST majority of people would disagree with your presumption.

and as we continue to destroy the mainstream media which had a 40 year monopoly of liberalism- the ideas of the GOP will continue to be disseminated.

The GOP is dying a horrible death, you just fail to see it now.

The GOP is dying a horrible death, you just fail to see it now.

I think you're wrong.

The Constitution is dying. The country is dying.

But as long as the talking points keep getting swallowed, then the GOP is doing just fine.

People like you are puppets, sheep. You swallow every single story from the right, every single simplistic myth, every shameless spin as though it were gospel from above. They utterly own guys like you. Sarge may be ultra-right but he is capable of independent thought on individual issues. You don't even bother to try.

The best part is what Rupert Murdoch and the rest of them think of you as they feed you your daily pablum...

laugh6xg.gif

Never once did I say my side was right, I just simply stated that Stewart is no where NEAR as divisive, hate filled or polarizing as Rush, Hannity or Savage.

That is what people on the right don't understand. They equate the Washington post with the Washington Times. One is a credible news paper, the other is a propaganda wing of the RNC. Same with Fox News and CNN. Does CNN show a little liberal bias? Sure, sometimes they do, just as they show a conservative bias sometimes too. Does Fox show a liberal bias? Nope, not at all.

I agree that the Limbaughs are more hate filled and polarizing, but at least they are up front with their opinions. Now I think the Daily Show and Jon Stewart is great TV, but he obviously has his own agenda. His being a comedy show gives him a lot of leeway when picking one side to attack.

As to your second point, that is almost all a matter of perspective. People tend to think that things they agree with are "fair" while those they disagree with are bias. Go to the Stadium and look for anything concerning the Redskins. Somebody gives us an A+ and they are smart, they give us a C- and they hate us.

"People realize it now Larry, the emperor has no clothes. . "

kind of funny, but I have been hearing libs say the EXACT SAME THING since 1994. That was 12 years ago for those of you in Rio Lindo..

Ahh, the good old days when Bush was going to be beaten back for the stolen 2000 election. That resulted in a historic GOP victory in the 2002 midterms. The first time the party in power not only retained seats but GAINED seats in a midterm election. nice job!

Then there was the reelection of Jeb Bush in 2002. This time the democrats were going to wreak vengeance for the travesty of Florida. Result? Bush landslide.

Then there was 2004. Bush lied, people died! War for Oil! Result: Bush gained 62 million votes (the largest amount of votes in American history)

let's just say that your cute little slogans have been proven empty for more than a decade..

"People like you are puppets, sheep. You swallow every single story from the right, every single simplistic myth, every shameless spin as though it were gospel from above. They utterly own guys like you."

Wow Predicto- did you break out the thesaurus for that hate filled post? :laugh:

Check out Rule 5 of the Tailgate before you get a little timeout. Here you go- I thought liberals were so tolerant of opposing viewpoints. Obviously not:

"Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules."

The most revealing thing about the typical NeoCon attack on sterotypical "Libs" is the assumption that every "Lib" action is motivated by simple partisan hate. Essentially, the "You just say that because you hate Bush" argument.

It's revealing because it shows the typical pattern of NeoCon thought. This is how they operate, it's what motivates them. Studies have revealed that the authoritative personality type is commonly attracted to what the right has been spilling.

Essentially, this is the group who consider this a virtue: "He is my leader. It is my duty to support him no matter what, through thick and thin. To obey is virtuous."

This naturally leads to a simplistic perceived divide, i.e. "Those who obey, and those who don't" ... Following this, the thinking becomes, "If someone disagrees with me, it is because they are on the side of the 'other' and their criticisms, like mine, are founded on the basic fact that they are 'them' and we are the 'good guys'

I believe I've read that about 30% of all humans fall well within the bounds of this category.

No matter how we 'evil' Libs try to explain our position, it will always be perceived as 'wrong' by this group.

This is why every thread here about a news item degenerates into 'I'm right and you're wrong' argumentative posts.

Here it is: Progressives DO NOT argue against policy because we are simply 'on the other side' and will say anything to put down GOP's ... try to put this one to rest, please.

That dog just won't hunt anymore, and those who keep putting out this attitude look more and more ridiculous by the hour.

"Check out Rule 5 of the Tailgate before you get a little timeout. Here you go- I thought liberals were so tolerant of opposing viewpoints. Obviously not:

"Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules."

Perhaps I should not have called you out, and I may get a time out for doing so (although what I said was really pretty much on topic given the subject of the thread...)

However, since your 1754 posts on this board to date contain about 1700 mindless bashes of evil liburls and only a handful of rare effort to engage the arguments on the merits, I think you are hardly the one to be offended by what I did.

Maybe a more thoughtful conservative poster can turn me in for you. There are lots of them here.

Don't forget "pro life" and "pro choice".

Yes, words (or "branding") do matter.

Here are some modern political cliches that are so overused, they no longer have meaning:

"Weapons of Mass Destruction" - now global warming is a "weapon of mass destruction."

"torture" - this word is now used for the most pedestrian interrogation techniques.

"affirmative action" - what does this mean again?

"conservative/liberal/progressive" - annoyingly vague, and therefore meaningless

There are a million more, to be sure. As an intelligent observer (and natural contrarian) of the political scene, as soon as I read or hear any of these cliches, I immediately become all the more skeptical of the presenter. If you want to gain my respect, you will never resort to the language of convention and will state EXACTLY what you are talking about by using PRECISE language.

/rant off

This thread makes me chuckle

I have to say I agree 100 percent with Kilmer17's opinion

The right has been far better at playing the game of politics then the left since 1980, save for the 1992 and 1996 presedential election

And the only reason that happened was Ross Perot was a gazillionaire lunatic.

Since the Reagan administration, 'Liberal' has pretty much become a dirty word. The same can't be said for 'Conservative'

There is no doubt in my mind the Repubs have far and away outmatched the Dems in 'altering the public's perceptions'

"spendthrift" = association with "Liberal," but Reagan and Bush Jr. have generated more debt than all other administrations combined. The only surplus? under Clinton ...

Yet these associations remain strong despite this fact ... velly intellesting indeed ...

And the only reason that happened was Ross Perot was a gazillionaire lunatic.

I don't know, I think Clinton was the right person at the right time to. Say what you want about him, his tactis, views, disrections, whatever. The one thing you can't deny about him is he was charismatic and one HELL of a speaker. He could hold an audience and woop some ass in a debate like no one's business.

Archived