Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Anybody taking BJ this weekend? I personally anticipate Fitch neutralizing him on the ground like he does to pretty much all of his opponents. Can he take & keep BJ down is the question. He's not going to set up takedowns as well as Edgar or GSP, but the strength advantage is clear. Will BJ's miraculous takedown defense reappear? If he lands on his back, how long will it take to escape? Can he work some offensive BJJ against such a ridiculously-tuned ground controller who is 10 to 20 lbs heavier come fight time? All signs point to this fight being decided by BJ's ability to avoid the lay & pray.

As far as raw skill-sets go, I'd take BJ over Fitch any day of the week, even the BJ we have seen recently, however I still question how well Penn is going to handle moving up to the 170 lb division, especially against a grinder like Fitch who will probably look to do nothing but take Penn down and grind his way to a decision win.

As far as raw skill-sets go, I'd take BJ over Fitch any day of the week, even the BJ we have seen recently, however I still question how well Penn is going to handle moving up to the 170 lb division, especially against a grinder like Fitch who will probably look to do nothing but take Penn down and grind his way to a decision win.

If Frankie Edgar can takedown BJ, Fitch will do so with ease. Even though BJ can carry the extra weight, that doesn't equate to muscle and Fitch is a strong dude. I'm beginning to get the feeling BJ is just fighting for a paycheck anymore.

If Frankie Edgar can takedown BJ, Fitch will do so with ease. Even though BJ can carry the extra weight, that doesn't equate to muscle and Fitch is a strong dude. I'm beginning to get the feeling BJ is just fighting for a paycheck anymore.

BJ's from a wealthy family and I'm sure the UFC has paid him well over the years. I think he's just trying to keep himself interested in fighting. He dominated 155 until Frankie Edgar came along, I think he just wants to try his hand at 170. It's usually a good idea for fighters to move up as they get older because it gets harder to cut weight as you age.

All of that being said, I agree with you about Fitch. I don't see BJ stopping his patented lay n pray lol.

its not quite as simple as "if frankie can do it, Fitch can as well". Part of the reason Edgar was effective with his takedowns is because he had Penn completely confused standing. Penn couldn't get a grip on Edgar's speed or the fact that Edgar kept at him with different combinations. essentially, Penn was fighting about 3 different fighters in Edgar :ols:

Fitch will obviously have a strength advantage, but i'm not sure strength alone gets BJ to the ground. Edgar, and to a lesser extent GSP, were successful because BJ respected their standup. I'm not sure he will have such respect for Fitch's stand up game.

Edited by StillUnknown

Dude, BJ took it to Machida at Heavyweight in Japan. You really think he is afraid of Fitch. Say what you will about BJ but one thing is this man is fearless and will take any on anybody. He will just add the requiste fat to his body to make the weight and fight.

Edited by thegreatbobo

Dude, BJ took it to Machida at Heavyweight in Japan. You really think he is afraid of Fitch. Say what you will about BJ but one thing is this man is fearless and will take any on anybody. He will just add the requiste fat to his body to make the weight and fight.

But he lost to Machida.

*Edit: BTW, I'm hoping for BJ to KO Fitch, but I don't see it happening.

Edited by #98QBKiller

But he lost to Machida.

*Edit: BTW, I'm hoping for BJ to KO Fitch, but I don't see it happening.

The move to 170 did wonders for BJ's punching power. Just ask Matt Hughes. Fitch better be conscious of that. However, BJ probably doesn't have the youth or desire to grind out a win from his back anymore and we all know that's where Fitch is going to put him at some point..

Obviously I'm rooting for BJ as well, 98 but I'm more nervous before BJ Penn fights nowadays where I used to be psyched. :(

Never said he was afraid of Fitch, quote me if I did. He'll show up, he'll fight and he has a punchers chance with anyone he steps into the ring with. That doesn't mean he'll be able to stuff Fitch for three rounds and fat doesn't make you stronger. It allows you to put more behind your punches but doesn't help you out muscle a strong wrestler. Wrestlers not only have great strength but they know how to use it neutralize their opponent. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Maybe I never noticed or maybe I strangely forgot... but are you guys aware that the co-main event of UFC 129 is Machida vs....... Randy Couture? Is the Natural out of his freaking mind? I just think he should be padding his record on other old guys at this point. The Dragon? Are you serious? The Dragon?!!

Randy Couture has gone from brave man to suicidal lunatic.

I know most people find it boring, but I hope to see who wins the battle between Greco-Roman and Sumo. If Randy doesn't get cracked, there's a good chance he can take a decision.

I don't see how he gets close enough to work the clinch.

machida will be in and out twice before Randy realizes what happened

I know most people find it boring, but I hope to see who wins the battle between Greco-Roman and Sumo. If Randy doesn't get cracked, there's a good chance he can take a decision.

He's gonna get cracked. :(

I don't see this fight getting out of the 1st. I won't argue that it's an interesting matchup by the names and styles but come on, Dana.

I don't see how he gets close enough to work the clinch.

machida will be in and out twice before Randy realizes what happened

Obviously Machida's speed by itself makes the striking game his. He's perceived as a counter striker, but he certainly attacks with a sudden strike or two quite often, even jumping in to them at times. Randy will try to weather that by ducking and grabbing for torso. Love Machida in the clinch, and Randy is Randy there, hope to see Machida whiff for the sake of seeing that matchup in styles.