Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Well either one, we have witnessed BJ Penn finally hit the wall and he is done as an elite fighter, or two, he is back into "I am bored, and lazy and will just take a paycheck mode"

I don't want to shortchange Edgar, he did get some takedowns, and he definitely earned his victory, but Penn just lost to a guy who can't even throw a combination on his feet. I think maybe once in the entire fight(when Edgar had him against the fence) did Edgar even throw more than a punch at a time.

Maybe my frustration is aimed at the wrong guy, I think I am more bewildered at Rogan & Goldberg's nuthuggin' I know they have to sell the fight and when it looks like one a fighter is going to win, they probably have to go into overdrive to hype them as the best thing ever, however I look forward to Inside MMA next Friday, to get some real commentary and analysis of this fight and not the "Frankie Edgar has so much speed" version.

Thoughts on the card:

-Nate Diaz's standup is way better than I gave him credit for (although it could just be his freakish reach @ welterweight)...nice job Nate, you still taunt too much but I can tell you're getting better

*Edit: Marcus Davis looked just like ET

-K Flo didn't look motivated at all, wtf Kenny? He's had his sights firmly on the title for a while now and in his last few fights he's looked focused and ready to go, but tonight in his homeland, he looked as flat as ever...did he go out drinking last night in South Boston or what?

-Maia's black belt >>> Miranda's black belt

-Randy Couture did exactly what he needed to do, shot within 15 seconds of the bell, took Toney down, passed his guard and finally arm-triangled him. I haven't seen Couture that excited in a while, I think Toney **** talking motivated him...also, congrats on the black belt Randy.

-BJ, wtf man? :( I hate to say it but I think BJ is succumbing to age. It happens to every athlete at some point, it's just hard to see a dominant guy like Penn start to flounder. Not sure what's next for him. I don't think he's got the strength for 170 but 155 is full of wrestlers that can do what Frankie did tonight. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Age ? Really ? 31 is not old for MMA standards.

BJ's been fighting for a decade and he's been doing BJJ for even longer. Combat sports (especially MMA) can make guys age quickly. I just think BJ's starting to show the first signs of getting older. He'll still beat most guys @ 155 but speed is the first thing to go and that's really what Edgar is using to beat BJ with.

BJ is basically a smaller version of Nog in the sense he has been through more wars than 99% of MMA fighters. Dude has gone up and down in weight constantly in his career, to try and take on the biggest challenges. It is possible that type of career has aged him quickly.

Honestly, as a big fan of BJ Penn, I am thinking he must have hit the wall, or he is too stubborn to go out and fight with a gameplan to win, oooor he has reverted back into "lazy, I just don't care" Penn.

I mean come on, for a BJJ Black belt, a legit BJJ world champion, a stand-up fighter who has zero KO power, should NEVER pose a serious problem. Why Penn chose to stand and play jab-fest for three and a half rounds before even attempting a takedown is beyond me. It almost seemed like when he finally did get a takedown in round 4, he was too tired or the guys were too sweaty for him to do anything with it, and he just mentally gave up and accepted his fate.

Sad thing to see elite fighters hit the wall.

BJ looked like he lost before the fight even started. Just standing there, starring in to space. When Buffer was doing his intros I had a good feeling I picked the wrong guy to win the fight. The only thing that kept me optimistic was that BJ might snap and attack like a bat out of hell at the opening bell. But no, he looked like a person trying to catch a butterfly right away.

He didn't try to match Frankie's speed, he looked lazy and soft. At 31, his hairline is that of Tony Kornheiser's. He looks old and has always lacked a consistent flow of motivation. I think the stress of the game has simply gotten to him. He's never loved to condition his body, he's a beach bum and training is a nuisance to him. Don't get me wrong, it's obvious Mr. Penn loves martial arts. The guy soaks up techniques like a Sham Wow, but I seriously think the conditioning aspect eats away at him.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I don't want to shortchange Edgar, he did get some takedowns, and he definitely earned his victory, but Penn just lost to a guy who can't even throw a combination on his feet. I think maybe once in the entire fight(when Edgar had him against the fence) did Edgar even throw more than a punch at a time.

Brother go back and watch the fight. Either you don't know what a combination is or you watched a different fight. Then again you probably missed them because they were so fast. Frankie threw plenty of combo's in that fight. That's what makes him so good, he throwing from every direction imaginable.

BJ got out hustled and out fought for 5 straight rounds.

I think the P4P arguement is pretty clear after the ass whooping Chael gave Anderson and the one BJ took last night. GSP is firmly at the top, no question about it.

Edited by ZoEd

BJ's been fighting for a decade and he's been doing BJJ for even longer. Combat sports (especially MMA) can make guys age quickly. I just think BJ's starting to show the first signs of getting older. He'll still beat most guys @ 155 but speed is the first thing to go and that's really what Edgar is using to beat BJ with.

Randy's been fighting far more years than BJ, and he's fought in more fights, plus he's 16 years older. How does Penn wear out far quicker than that ? Is it because he's heavyweight and doesn't rely on speed ? You're sayin little guys wear out faster ?

Edited by Mickalino