Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

James Toney was "representing boxing", but was there anyone in the boxing world that thought he would win?

Nope. Pretty much all of them said he was crazy and had no chance. That's why none of them aren't attempting. Toney said it's because they're scared. Rather, it's because they're smarter than Toney, and they understand the difference between the 2 sports. Also because they don't have an ego the size of Haynesworth's buttocks, like Toney does.

So, I guess we won't be seeing that Toney/Lesnar fight that Toney was hungering for :ols:

Edited by Mickalino

Nope. Pretty much all of them said he was crazy and had no chance. That's why none of them aren't attempting. Toney said it's because they're scared. Rather, it's because they're smarter than Toney, and they understand the difference between the 2 sports. Also because they don't have an ego the size of Haynesworth's buttocks, like Toney does.

So, I guess we won't be seeing that Toney/Lesnar fight that Toney was hungering for :ols:

Toney is ignorant, not stupid. from what I've been reading, he's scheduled to make somewhere between 750k-1mil for that fight

even though he lost, Toney won

I think the P4P arguement is pretty clear after the ass whooping Chael gave Anderson and the one BJ took last night. GSP is firmly at the top, no question about it.

Yep. Although I don't think BJ Penn could ever be called the P4P best. He was the 155 best... until the first Edgar fight. The freaky thing is that I don't think anyone is going to call Frankie Edgar the 155 best until he beats Gray Maynard but even then he won't have the same "destroyer" aura that BJ had.

Toney is ignorant, not stupid. from what I've been reading, he's scheduled to make somewhere between 750k-1mil for that fight

even though he lost, Toney won

You'd think he'd rather fight someone who prefers standing up though.

I think when he leaves the game, Penn's career will be looked at as a disappointment. Somebody with his physical abilities and skill level should have done alot more.

That Lauzon fight was awesome. I can't believe that guy wouldn't even shake his hand after it was over.

Randy's been fighting far more years than BJ, and he's fought in more fights, plus he's 16 years older. How does Penn wear out far quicker than that ? Is it because he's heavyweight and doesn't rely on speed ? You're sayin little guys wear out faster ?

Randy's been fighting about the same time as BJ. Randy didn't start fighting until he was 34 that's why he's still able to do it into his late 40s. Plus, he's lost a step in the last 5-6 years since he had the wars against Vitor and Chuck. He's fighting guys like Toney and Mark Coleman now for a reason, they want him to go out on a high note when he retires.

Plus like someone mentioned earlier, BJ has been all over the charts in weight classes. He's fought from 155 to 190-something against Machida. All of that yo-yo weight loss isn't good for athletes. Plus BJ's been into some wars himself. I think he's finally just lost a step. He's still going to beat most guys at 155 but he doesn't appear to be king anymore.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20472/vitor-belfort-vs-yushin-okami-to-headlined-spike-tvs-ufc-122-event-in-germany.mma

A middleweight bout between top contenders Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Yushin Okami (25-5 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is expected to headline November's UFC 122 event, which airs on Spike TV.

Multiple sources today tentative confirmed the plans with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Wrestling Observer" first reported the likelihood of the fight.

UFC 122 takes Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.

The event – though not officially announced – airs via same-day delay on the UFC's longtime cable partner.

As MMAjunkie.com reported back in May, Belfort's camp was under the impression that the Brazilian fighter was next in line for a title shot. In fact, Chael Sonnen only got his recent shot at the belt because Belfort was forced to the sidelines due to a shoulder injury that required surgery.

However, Sonnen nearly defeated the champ – he was up four rounds to none before Silva rallied for a late-fight submission victory – and after that UFC 117 headliner, UFC president Dana White said Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch. With that fight now expected to take place later this year or early 2011, Belfort vs. Okami likely will determine a No. 1 contender.

Belfort, of course, hasn't even fought at 185 pounds under the UFC banner. Although riding a five-fight win streak, the only UFC appearance came a year ago and resulted in a first-round knockout of Rich Franklin at a catchweight of 195 pounds. Still, with his recent streak and early UFC success, he remains a marketable contender.

Okami, meanwhile, moved to 5-1 in his past six fights with a recent split-decision win over Mark Munoz. The only loss during the stretch came to Sonnen. Despite his bounty of UFC wins, Okami never has been promised a title shot, and he's even struggled to get featured on some televised main cards.

But afer the Munoz win, even White relented.

"Yushin Okami is one of the best 185-pounders in the world and has been for a while," he said. "This guy's due for a title shot."

I think Okami wins this fight

Well either one, we have witnessed BJ Penn finally hit the wall and he is done as an elite fighter, or two, he is back into "I am bored, and lazy and will just take a paycheck mode"

I don't want to shortchange Edgar, he did get some takedowns, and he definitely earned his victory, but Penn just lost to a guy who can't even throw a combination on his feet. I think maybe once in the entire fight(when Edgar had him against the fence) did Edgar even throw more than a punch at a time.

Maybe my frustration is aimed at the wrong guy, I think I am more bewildered at Rogan & Goldberg's nuthuggin' I know they have to sell the fight and when it looks like one a fighter is going to win, they probably have to go into overdrive to hype them as the best thing ever, however I look forward to Inside MMA next Friday, to get some real commentary and analysis of this fight and not the "Frankie Edgar has so much speed" version.

Don't get too excited. Nobody loves Frankie more than Franklin McNeil.

Thoughts on the card:

-Nate Diaz's standup is way better than I gave him credit for (although it could just be his freakish reach @ welterweight)...nice job Nate, you still taunt too much but I can tell you're getting better

*Edit: Marcus Davis looked just like ET

-K Flo didn't look motivated at all, wtf Kenny? He's had his sights firmly on the title for a while now and in his last few fights he's looked focused and ready to go, but tonight in his homeland, he looked as flat as ever...did he go out drinking last night in South Boston or what?

-BJ, wtf man? :( I hate to say it but I think BJ is succumbing to age. It happens to every athlete at some point, it's just hard to see a dominant guy like Penn start to flounder. Not sure what's next for him. I don't think he's got the strength for 170 but 155 is full of wrestlers that can do what Frankie did tonight. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Agreed on Diaz. He is getting better and better on his feet. I don't think he could ever get past the wrestlers of 170 though. Maynard rode him for a decision at 155. Fitch, Kos, maybe even Hughes could do the same. Hughes would be an interesting fight. I'd like to see him get the loser of Serra-Ltle though.

I think The Flo was motivated and stuck to his gameplan. It's just that his gameplan sucked. He was being very conservative in his standup which is nothing new.

BJ, BJ, BJ.....

I always said him and Diaz suffer from the same "fighter" mentality. They don;t gameplan. They just fight. They are too confident (egotistical?) to force there will on someone. They just try to fight where ever the fight is. I blame his camp for the bad gameplan and the lack of in-fight adjustments. I blame BJ for picking his camp. Where the hell does he go from here? I can't think of one fight for him at 155 that interests me. I doubt there's one for him. Gomi rematch? I don't think he should fall that far down the ladder. It would sell though and might keep BJ motivated. Maybe switch camps, let Gomi win one here soon (he wasn;t touched in his last fight. Should be ready to go), then do the rematch. Of course, Gomi would have to do his part and win a good fight.

I can't think of one fight for him at 155 that interests me. I doubt there's one for him. Gomi rematch? I don't think he should fall that far down the ladder. It would sell though and might keep BJ motivated. Maybe switch camps, let Gomi win one here soon (he wasn;t touched in his last fight. Should be ready to go), then do the rematch. Of course, Gomi would have to do his part and win a good fight.

I like the idea of a Gomi rematch. It would be a great addition to a card that's lacking and I think they're both ready to face each other now. They've both fought recently.

BJ, BJ, BJ.....

I always said him and Diaz suffer from the same "fighter" mentality. They don;t gameplan. They just fight. They are too confident (egotistical?) to force there will on someone. They just try to fight where ever the fight is. I blame his camp for the bad gameplan and the lack of in-fight adjustments. I blame BJ for picking his camp. Where the hell does he go from here? I can't think of one fight for him at 155 that interests me. I doubt there's one for him. Gomi rematch? I don't think he should fall that far down the ladder. It would sell though and might keep BJ motivated. Maybe switch camps, let Gomi win one here soon (he wasn;t touched in his last fight. Should be ready to go), then do the rematch. Of course, Gomi would have to do his part and win a good fight.

I agree. I think this feeds in to what I was talking about with BJ's distaste for conditioning. He is the ruler of his camp, he gets the final say as to when they train and don't train. It is time (and has been for a while) to jump ship and get to an elite camp. Simple as that. Blackhouse has invited him over, AKA would whip his butt in to shape, just find somewhere else to go.

The problem is, and I just talked about this, is that BJ knows if he switches camps they won't take it easy on him. I think he would pick his Hawaiian lifestyle over daily extreme conditioning without a second thought. It's the reason he is a moderate waste of talent.

I agree. I think this feeds in to what I was talking about with BJ's distaste for conditioning. He is the ruler of his camp, he gets the final say as to when they train and don't train. It is time (and has been for a while) to jump ship and get to an elite camp. Simple as that. Blackhouse has invited him over, AKA would whip his butt in to shape, just find somewhere else to go.

The problem is, and I just talked about this, is that BJ knows if he switches camps they won't take it easy on him. I think he would pick his Hawaiian lifestyle over daily extreme conditioning without a second thought. It's the reason he is a moderate waste of talent.

They know how to chill in Brasil. Blackhouse could be a perfect fit.

Seeing Toney on his back and Randy on top of him, gave me this mental image of a huge, fat turtle (or ****roach) flipped upside down on his backside, with all 4 legs flailing helplessly with absolutely ZERO chance of turning over and back on his feet.

Edited by Mickalino

Nice interview. It sounds like Toney is a good dude he just knows how to talk **** with the best of them to sell a fight. It definitely worked thats why he's not upset he lost he just cashed in for his family.

Yep, he just knows how to sell a fight. Just like Chael Sonnen, neither of them are as ridiculous as they come off before a fight, they just know how to get people to tune in.

Aldo would do to Edgar what he did to Faber. Stuff takedowns and kick his legs into oblivion. I don't think Edgar will be the champ after he fights Maynard though. I think Maynard is too big for him and his wrestling skills are just as good if not better than Edgar's.