Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Ok let me reframe he is probably the most popular among real MMA fans who love the sport and are involved in it. I guess if we include the fanboys and the occasional watcher then you are probably right.

Is that supposed to be offensive? I don't like Penn, so does that make me not a real MMA fan, or a fanboy? I don't like Penn because I think he is a prick. But I sure as hell respect his ability.

The best I can give him is that he's respected, whether he's liked or not.

This is the best way it has been put.

Edited by lovetoaster

who watched primetime?

Man it got me so pumped.

It was the best production the UFC has put together yet. Awesome

Yeah it got me pumped up at the end, when GSP was getting ready to leave Canada and BJ was leaving Hawaii.

I thought it was hilarious when BJ told Firas Zahibi to go home after the fight, take your shoes off, wait for about 20 to 30 minutes and go F*** yourself. Haha, classic. I hope BJ knocks Georges head off. I thinkit will be an exciting fight, because GSP is a beast. And his camp looks like its pretty tough. Especially sparring with Sugar Rashaad in camp.

My only concern is BJ's conditioning. But after watching last night, seeing him "run the rock" reassured me he's more than ready to get at GSP.

I got BJ in the second by TKO.

I do feel that way, but we all know it will never happen.

BJ is like Fedor in that respect. If Fedor went on a diet and learned to cut weight he could make 205 easy (weighed 230 for his last fight). How crazy would that be? Same with Cro Cop.

Cutting weight is more of an American thing. European fighters usually believe that it drains you more than it gives you an advantage. I remember in an interview once someone asked Cro Cop if he could ever make 205 and he said "only if I sawed one of my legs off" lol.

From Sherdog

Helio Gracie Dead

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Brian Knapp

20090129083113_big_gracie.JPG&width_size=570Helio Gracie, the father of Gracie jiu-jitsu, is dead at the age of 95. Gracie passed in his sleep early Thursday in Itaipaiva, Rio de Janeiro, after he had been admitted to a local hospital a few days prior for stomach problems.

“He passed the way he always wanted to –- quick and fast,” said an immediate relative, who asked not to be identified. The relative said Gracie’s body would be buried on Thursday.

The youngest of Cesalina and Gastao Gracie’s eight children, he learned traditional jiu-jitsu by watching his brother, Carlos, teach it, but his small frame made it difficult for him to execute the moves. As a result, he adapted techniques to fit his limited physical ability and gave rise to modern-day Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/helio-gracie-dead-15977

Edited by lovetoaster

helio was probably still tapping people into his 90's. his impact is too great for words. R.I.P. to a true legend of combat sports

who watched primetime?

Man it got me so pumped.

It was the best production the UFC has put together yet. Awesome

anyone who thought BJ wasn't taking this match serious, just listen to him getting choked up about how much he wants this fight. both fighters are ready for this one, should be a classic.

on another note the little intro they gave Rashad was funny, kinda reminded me of something from 70's blaxploitation films :ols:

What's up guys? Sorry it's been a while. I kind of quit posting here when the Skins started laying eggs on offense week after week. I spend a lot of time on Sherdog now. Lots of guys trading experience/advice about gear and training methods, it's great. I stay away from the "Best P4P" and "Fedor Nuthugging" threads though, they're full of teenagers and ppl who don't train.

What's up guys? Sorry it's been a while. I kind of quit posting here when the Skins started laying eggs on offense week after week. I spend a lot of time on Sherdog now. Lots of guys trading experience/advice about gear and training methods, it's great. I stay away from the "Best P4P" and "Fedor Nuthugging" threads though, they're full of teenagers and ppl who don't train.

welcome back, Bro!

Who you backing on saturday night?

Was UFC Primetime an hour last night as previously stated? If so, i only DVR'd one of the episodes. Fudge.

It was only 30mins.

Awesome show. My girlfriend was in the other room and she cracked up when I told her what the show was about because all she could really hear was how dramatic the voice over guy was.

I like when BJ was saying he picked a hell of a fight for himself and that he has a lot of backing up to do.

anyone who thought BJ wasn't taking this match serious, just listen to him getting choked up about how much he wants this fight. both fighters are ready for this one, should be a classic.

on another note the little intro they gave Rashad was funny, kinda reminded me of something from 70's blaxploitation films :ols:

BJ is ready. GSP is ready. Gonna be a war.

The funniest part of the whole show was Rudeboy. He's a moron.

Taking jabs at the people GSP is training with? Jardine, Marquardt, Evans, Cerrone.

BJ's like, we got UFC fighters too. Rudeboy and McCully.

lol no comparison.

But training partners don't win fights. fighters win fights.

I remember watching the first UFC's, and not thinking much of Royce Gracie when I first saw him. Man, did he ever kick the snot out of people. Led to me taking BJJ for a few years. RIP Helio.

the OG Gracie for sure when it comes to UFC. I remember when he was being taken down one time he stuck his foot in the dudes armpit and popped his shoulder out...ON THE WAY TO THE GROUND!!

The defining moment for me, as far as Helio Gracie, was the epic Royce vs. Sakuraba fight. Before Royler threw in the towel, you just saw Helio standing there, starring in to the ring. You could see all the passion and emotion for the sport he had right there. He couldn't believe they had to throw in the towel. It wasn't the Gracie way, but Royce had been injured and fatigued too much. He made the right decision to save his son any more pain.

Helio, even then, was an old man. You have to think about how strong-willed the guy was. He got all of his kids to learn, love and become awesome at jiu jitsu. He had to lead the same pack of wolves at home as he did in the gym. Amazing innovator, leader and mentor. In the long run, he will be regarded as one of the most important figures in MMA history.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

BJ is ready. GSP is ready. Gonna be a war.

The funniest part of the whole show was Rudeboy. He's a moron.

Taking jabs at the people GSP is training with? Jardine, Marquardt, Evans, Cerrone.

BJ's like, we got UFC fighters too. Rudeboy and McCully.

lol no comparison.

But training partners don't win fights. fighters win fights.

rudeboy is an idiot if he's comparing the individual talents of the respective camps, but like u said, that alone doesnt win fights.

i want to see what happens if gsp should end up on his back. i'm sure he's prepared but its not a positio? he's had to deal witb much in his career.

i've gone over this fight almost more than any other fight i can remember.......can't wait until saturday.

i hope every standing strike doesn't have that affect of snapping the opponents head back, not very realistic. hopefully they just did that for the promos.

on another note though, the ground transitions look pretty fluid. far better than what i was expecting. it will be impossible for them to get all elements of the ground game into the game, but i definitely like what i see so far on that front.

rudeboy is an idiot if he's comparing the individual talents of the respective camps, but like u said, that alone doesnt win fights.

i want to see what happens if gsp should end up on his back. i'm sure he's prepared but its not a positio? he's had to deal witb much in his career.

i've gone over this fight almost more than any other fight i can remember.......can't wait until saturday.

I usually do NOT root for the "bad guys" in sports. BJ and his camp are making it tough for me to root for them. Make no mistake though, BJ Penn is my dude. I just wish he surrounded himself with higher caliber folks.

I have to admit, every time I go over this fight in my head, I see GSP winning by KO and I don't know how or why. It's very weird and almost certainly has to do with my pessimistic nature.

I think BJ is going to come forward and push the pace though so it's about GSP's ability to win the stand-up battle. I agree that he does not want to end up on or give up his back at any point.

I'm sig betting on Penn. I'm seeing GSP in my head. Not a comfy place to be. I'll predict the other fights tomorrow night but my record has been for crapola lately. I bet I'm having about a 33% success rate these days on picking winners. 0% on sig bets since summer. :) After a stellar streak up to then I'm in the dumper.

So basically I'm not making an official ES MMA prediction on this fight. I'm too tortured by my bet and my gut feeling being entirely contradictory.

I usually do NOT root for the "bad guys" in sports. BJ and his camp are making it tough for me to root for them. Make no mistake though, BJ Penn is my dude. I just wish he surrounded himself with higher caliber folks.

I have to admit, every time I go over this fight in my head, I see GSP winning by KO and I don't know how or why. It's very weird and almost certainly has to do with my pessimistic nature.

I think BJ is going to come forward and push the pace though so it's about GSP's ability to win the stand-up battle. I agree that he does not want to end up on or give up his back at any point.

I'm sig betting on Penn. I'm seeing GSP in my head. Not a comfy place to be. I'll predict the other fights tomorrow night but my record has been for crapola lately. I bet I'm having about a 33% success rate these days on picking winners. 0% on sig bets since summer. :) After a stellar streak up to then I'm in the dumper.

So basically I'm not making an official ES MMA prediction on this fight. I'm too tortured by my bet and my gut feeling being entirely contradictory.

I'm right there with you Chachie. I want to like BJ, but it's so damn hard. I can't stand the arrogance, and I can't stand the people around him. I have such a high respect for his fighting ability and attitude towards the sport. He could sit on his haunches in the LW division and just accept notoriety for being the #1 LW in the world (though, IMO, still debatable). But maybe that arrogance makes for a good champion. Maybe it's that arrogance that makes them strive to be the best at as many things as possible.

Long story short, despite my dislike for BJ's attitude, I respect the hell out of him, and hope he brings some competition to the MW division.