Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

If BJ loses, it diminishes the "undisputedness" of his lightweight title, as far as I'm concerned. He gets beat by GSP, and he's still champion? The simple fact that he can sit around and eat seaweed all day at the beach to gain 15 lbs enables him to fatten up to any weight class he wants to. Another thing, this fight, my friends, should be at a catch weight for both belts. If GSP wins and cannot cut to 155 to defend the lightweight belt? The answer is: Give it to Clay Guida. But you can't convince me 15 pounds of fat is the difference between why BJ would get 2 belts and GSP would only keep the one he currently has.

:rubeyes: :rubeyes:

:insane: :insane:

:wtf:

i was with you until i read that paragraph

:rubeyes: :rubeyes:

:insane: :insane:

:wtf:

i was with you until i read that paragraph

Other than a few sarcastic comments, I'm basically saying if BJ loses, it will be odd seeing him still have a belt. I know this is in the welterweight division, but this is a win-win situation for him. BJ has nothing to lose and GSP has everything to lose. Kind of a lopsided trade-off, IMO. I know they do this all the time in boxing, but some boxers have so many belts it looks like a department store on their shoulder. And I assume it takes forever for a champion of multi-divisions to defend them one after another.

Sure, the idea of a catch weight is far-fetched, but it would resolve this lopsided trade-off. GSP hasn't fought in lightweight, but if he wins it, tell him to toss the belt if he doesn't want to defend it. That would make for a nice little tournament that the UFC lightweight division desperately needs.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Other than a few sarcastic comments, I'm basically saying if BJ loses, it will be odd seeing him still have a belt. I know he won the lightweight belt, but this is a win-win situation for him. BJ has nothing to lose and GSP has everything to lose. Kind of a lopsided trade-off, IMO. I know they do this all the time in boxing, but some boxers have so many belts it looks like a department store on their shoulder. And I assume it takes forever for a champion of multi-divisions to defend them one after another.

Sure, the idea of a catch weight is far-fetched, but it would resolve this lopsided trade-off. GSP hasn't fought in lightweight, but if he wins it, tell him to toss the belt if he doesn't want to defend it. That would make for a nice little tournament that the UFC lightweight division desperately needs.

BJ does have something to lose. he wants to be regarded as the best ever, another loss to GSP and that can't happen.

you can't fight for a title in which you cannot physically make the weight for. it happens in boxing sure because the divisions are like 4lbs apart from each other. this is and will remain a rare situation in MMA. and besides Alves, GSP has pretty much cleaned the WW division so it makes sense to give the fans the fight they want to see most, especially when the first fight is seen as disputed by many

BJ does have something to lose. he wants to be regarded as the best ever, another loss to GSP and that can't happen.

you can't fight for a title in which you cannot physically make the weight for. it happens in boxing sure because the divisions are like 4lbs apart from each other. this is and will remain a rare situation in MMA. and besides Alves, GSP has pretty much cleaned the WW division so it makes sense to give the fans the fight they want to see most, especially when the first fight is seen as disputed by many

I know he wants to be regarded as the best ever, and that STILL won't happen if he beats GSP.

Give the fans what they want, yes. Or they'll hiss and boo, God forsaken American fans. I'd like to see fairness in the UFC. Machida should have had his title shot already, Werdum should have had a title shot before he got pegged by Dos Santos, Florian should be fighting BJ in about a month for the belt. But it's a popularity contest. Give me the Yankees and Red Sox, screw the Devil Rays and Phillies. I've always been huge on trying to get people to become bigger fans of the sport, but there are titles to be defended before weight division hopscotch ensues.

As I said, my idea is far-fetched. I was talking out of my ass, trying to create an idea to make this more of a win-lose situation for both parties. Especially since BJ is getting a golden ticket in to this fight, IMO.

I wonder if Tito would get a title shot if he came back in to the UFC for getting a Draw with Rashad Evans. :rolleyes:

Well you get drunk, and decide to do it one night. And how amazing was it sticking your A-Rod in between her Madonnas? Problem is, you have a wife that has given you consistency and more than enough pleasure. You just HAD to see how it would be getting with the super hot chick. Now you have to come down off that high. Mega****, megafight they're both over and back to the same ole same ole. And the ring that you had to put back on your finger after using said finger to ram it up Mary Jane Rottoncrotches purty pink panties? If you have any ounce of conscience you'll feel like you just dinished its meaning.

Who are you and what have you done with d0ubleStr0ke? :)

its not that surprising that Machida hasn't gotten a title shot yet. he's riding undefeated, but its not like he's fought top level guys (with the exception of Rich Franklin). I love Machida, but the man couldn't even finish David Heath (whom babalu choked unconscious & Tim Boetsch threw like a rag doll....david heath is made to be finished)

he has a victory over sokodjou which diminshes every time sokodjou fights & tito who was a fringe top 10 at the time. i think he should definitely get a shot if he beats Thiago, but i could fully understand the argument against him (especially when you factor in the at times not so exciting style)

the last thing Dana wants is another champion like Sherk who gets boo'd for 5 rounds as he defends his title

What is wrong with BJ Penn holding and defending two belts? No one seems to have a problem with the prospect of Anderson Silva doing the same thing, now that he has begun fighting at 205. I mean if he keeps fighting at 205 it is only a matter of time before he gets a title shot.(Unless he gets beat back down to 185)

MMA as a sport is still in it's infancy, it needs stars. It's needs guy skilled enough that they can do these types of things. The masses don't watch a sport where the belts are traded every other fight because no single fighter is THAT much better then the next. The masses want a champion to dominate the competition for awhile, until the next young dominant champ comes up and takes their place.

Edited by NoCalMike

What is wrong with BJ Penn holding and defending two belts? No one seems to have a problem with the prospect of Anderson Silva doing the same thing, now that he has begun fighting at 205. I mean if he keeps fighting at 205 it is only a matter of time before he gets a title shot.(Unless he gets beat back down to 185)

Although your point is perfectly valid, I believe Silva was only fighting once at 205 for a lark. Otherwise Rich Franklin would have to find another organization. :)

Again, the popularity issue. Although, it does cost too much to buy a pay-per-view or tickets to watch a methodical fighter like Machida stroll his way to a decision. I understand your point. But I thought he deserved a shot at the title when you factor out that he isn't the most physically thrilling fighter out there.

Although, I find him super-exciting to watch fight because of how incredibly savvy he is on his feet. I think Machida singlehandedly destroyed any confidence Sokodjou had.

Dana is a smart businessman, I cannot take that away from him, but what I will say is that there are things purists are rolling their collective eyes at. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'll stand my ground that this fight was thrown together too fast. For business sake? Great timing, for fairness' sake, a little disappointing.

MMA as a sport is still in it's infancy, it needs stars. It's needs guy skilled enough that they can do these types of things. The masses don't watch a sport where the belts are traded every other fight because no single fighter is THAT much better then the next. The masses want a champion to dominate the competition for awhile, until the next young dominant champ comes up and takes their place.

I already stated my qualm with it. We will be lucky to see each belt defended twice in one year. Snore. If people need fighters to have two belts to become a fan, then obviously they are just casual fans that won't really have an effect on the sport's longtime success. I only content with Anderson leaving MW because the division has been stifled by him. BJ has yet to defend his belt.

I know he wants to be regarded as the best ever, and that STILL won't happen if he beats GSP.

Give the fans what they want, yes. Or they'll hiss and boo, God forsaken American fans. I'd like to see fairness in the UFC. Machida should have had his title shot already, Werdum should have had a title shot before he got pegged by Dos Santos, Florian should be fighting BJ in about a month for the belt. But it's a popularity contest. Give me the Yankees and Red Sox, screw the Devil Rays and Phillies. I've always been huge on trying to get people to become bigger fans of the sport, but there are titles to be defended before weight division hopscotch ensues.

As I said, my idea is far-fetched. I was talking out of my ass, trying to create an idea to make this more of a win-lose situation for both parties. Especially since BJ is getting a golden ticket in to this fight, IMO.

I wonder if Tito would get a title shot if he came back in to the UFC for getting a Draw with Rashad Evans. :rolleyes:

Amen brother, you speak the truth. :notworthy

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8063&zoneid=2

Another divisional shake up appears to be on the horizon for Zuffa owned World Extreme Cagefighting. Several sources have indicated that the promotion will soon disband its 170-pound weight class. The first indication of the latest restructuring is a title fight between WEC champion Carlos Condit and challenger Brock Larson being scrapped from the upcoming WEC 39 event on March 1 in Texas.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com first reported the news on Tuesday, with several sources close to the situation confirming the news to MMAWeekly.com as well.

According to sources speaking anonymously with MMAWeekly.com, the fight between Condit and Larson was cancelled in large part due to a desire to move the current WEC champion over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

There has been no official confirmation as to who Condit could fight in his first UFC match-up, but there has been speculation that new welterweight Martin Kampmann could be the fighter called upon to face the Arizona Combat Sports standout.

Larson is also expected to make the move to the UFC. Despite reports that the Minnesota fighter was injured, causing the fight cancellation, MMAWeekly.com learned that the fight was simply cancelled and neither fighter had any kind of injury to force the situation.

Several managers were contacted about the possible dissolution of the WEC's welterweight division, but there had been no official word from the promotion at the time of publication about the move. It is still unclear if the entire division will be dissolved, but moving the promotion's champion over to the UFC would seem to be a strong indicator of such.

There are still two welterweight bouts scheduled for WEC 39 – Johny Hendricks vs. Alex Serdyukov and Justin Haskins vs. Douglas Lima – but that wouldn't be out of character for the WEC. The promotion still held a couple of middleweight and light heavyweight bouts, including a light heavyweight title fight, after the dissolution of those two divisions was announced late last year.

MMAWeekly.com sources close to the WEC in early January revealed that the promotion is adding a 125-pound flyweight division soon. There had been speculation that WEC 39 could host the emergence of the flyweight division, but that now seems more like a possibility for WEC 40 in Chicago.

If the WEC welterweight division does meet its demise, that would leave only the 155-pound lightweight class as the only crossover category between the WEC and the UFC.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more information on this story as it becomes available.

good news for WEC, bad news for Condit. he won't get close to the UFC title

and this is why Lesnar gets paid the big bucks:

UFC 91 replay peaks at 3.3 million: UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar can now add television ratings champion to his resume. Spike TV’s replay of UFC 91 (originally airing on Pay Per View on November 15) featuring UFC legend Randy Couture vs. Lesnar was the highest rated show among Men 18-34 in all of television (broadcast or cable) in its timeslot on Saturday, January 24 (9:00-11:30pm ET/PT). UFC 91 peaked at 3.3 million viewers at 11:15pm for the Lesnar victory ending in a second round TKO. The entire fight card, which included exciting victories for lightweight contender Kenny Florian and heavyweight hopeful Gabriel Gonzaga, averaged 2.3 million viewers for the 2.5 hour telecast, easily making UFC 91 the most-watched taped UFC event in network history. Overall, UFC 91 on Spike TV drew a 1.7 household rating and a 1.8 among M18-49 (991,000), a 1.8 among M18-34 (508,000) and had an average audience of 2.3 million viewers.