Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

No, the laundry room, but at least you got the gist of it. ;)

ok, keep that man card in that wallet then. :cheers:

but we need to work on some cars while listening to slayer and drinking beer for a while to feel more like men..

and 99, I want you to know that I feel just as bad as having to put a sig over that hot girl as I did over Heidi. ;)

I know he wants to be regarded as the best ever, and that STILL won't happen if he beats GSP.

Give the fans what they want, yes. Or they'll hiss and boo, God forsaken American fans. I'd like to see fairness in the UFC. Machida should have had his title shot already, Werdum should have had a title shot before he got pegged by Dos Santos, Florian should be fighting BJ in about a month for the belt. But it's a popularity contest. Give me the Yankees and Red Sox, screw the Devil Rays and Phillies. I've always been huge on trying to get people to become bigger fans of the sport, but there are titles to be defended before weight division hopscotch ensues.

As I said, my idea is far-fetched. I was talking out of my ass, trying to create an idea to make this more of a win-lose situation for both parties. Especially since BJ is getting a golden ticket in to this fight, IMO.

I wonder if Tito would get a title shot if he came back in to the UFC for getting a Draw with Rashad Evans. :rolleyes:

BJ flatout is probably the most popular fighter in MMA i know he is my favorite and alot of others. BJ is probably the most talented fighter in MMA and nobody will beat him at 155lbs period that is his natural weightclass. The only guy at 155lbs that i'd be interested in watching him fight is Diego Sanchez who is gonna be a handful for everyone at 155.

I think you got it wrong though even if BJ loses he will be regarded has 1 of the best ever by the fans who love him. He is the guy who fights anybody at anytime, he seeks out the best, he does'nt wanna fight guys he knows he can destroy. He has held the belt at 155lbs,170lbs he has fought at 185lbs and even fought Lyota at 205lbs the man is a true defintion of a fighter. He would fight Brock if they offered it, he don't care, he is a warrior.

I've also read that BJ would rather stay at 170lbs because it is better competition for him. I expect GSP to win this fight because of his size and strenght advantage but he will never bang with BJ he don't have the heart to do it.

BJ could just be a GSP and stay at 155lbs and beat all the guys he should beat to me thats the difference. BJ seeks out the best fighters regardless of his disadvantages until GSP seeks out guys like Anderson Silvia who would challenge him, he will never be regarded has highly by me has BJ is.:2cents:

BJ flatout is probably the most popular fighter in MMA i know he is my favorite and alot of others.

Just my opinion, but I do not think that is true. I think he may have the most raw talent of any fighter in MMA, but I do not think he is the most popular. I think his attitude turns a lot of people off.

It's not a popularity contest, but am I crazy to think that GSP is just as popular as BJ?

I'd have to say Chuck Liddell is the most popular fighter in MMA if we're just talking about fame here. Brock Lesnar is a very close 2nd due to his WWF days and Randy Couture or Forrest Griffin could be 3rd.

Edited by Chachie

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/legendary-bjj-trainers-handicap-gsp-penn-2-15954

pretty good article of Legendary BJJ trainers comparing the ground games of GSP & BJ Penn:

Pederneiras has equally fond memories of Penn.

“I saw he was a special athlete the first time he came to train in my academy with his brothers in ’97,” he said. “Even being a blue belt, he was so flexible that many of my black belts couldn’t pass his guard.”

Sometimes, that flexibility seemed to defy the bounds of believability.

“One time after training, he was reading a magazine with his legs crossed,” Pederneiras said. “He decided to scratch his ear with his foot and kept both hands holding the magazine. He’s definitely not an ordinary person.

:rotflmao:

Sadly I was too drunk at WEC o give you guys any info other than it was a full house with ample energy.

A little too much booing for my tastes, but it didn't seem like they were booing for any reason other than to be loud. I asked 2 people "whats wit the boos" and they both just shrugged and said it's fun.

Dana was walking around a lot and taking pictures with everyone. I was right above one of the ramps. Vera was in a couple corners. Overall a good show. Hope they come back.

I'd have to say Chuck Liddell is the most popular fighter in MMA if we're just talking about fame here. Brock Lesnar is a very close 2nd due to his WWF days and Randy Couture or Forrest Griffin could be 3rd.

Ok let me reframe he is probably the most popular among real MMA fans who love the sport and are involved in it. I guess if we include the fanboys and the occasional watcher then you are probably right.

Ok let me reframe he is probably the most popular among real MMA fans who love the sport and are involved in it. I guess if we include the fanboys and the occasional watcher then you are probably right.

Not to sound like I'm picking on you Sammy but I still think you're wrong. :)

GSP seems to be getting a lot more love these days and with Spider and Fedor making headlines, I'd put BJ pretty far down on the list as far as popularity goes. I'd even say he's polarized. Either they love him or they hate him. 50/50 among MMA fans.

The best I can give him is that he's respected, whether he's liked or not. We all know he's my fave though.

Edited by Chachie

If BJ loses, it diminishes the "undisputedness" of his lightweight title, as far as I'm concerned. He gets beat by GSP, and he's still champion? The simple fact that he can sit around and eat seaweed all day at the beach to gain 15 lbs enables him to fatten up to any weight class he wants to. Another thing, this fight, my friends, should be at a catch weight for both belts. If GSP wins and cannot cut to 155 to defend the lightweight belt? The answer is: Give it to Clay Guida. But you can't convince me 15 pounds of fat is the difference between why BJ would get 2 belts and GSP would only keep the one he currently has.

The difference between GSP and BJ is not 15lbs of fat. GSP is the much bigger man. BJ just likes to fight at the same weight he walks around at and GSP likes to cut weight to get size advantages on his oppoents. That is why they are one weight class apart instead of two. Here is a snip of a BJ interview

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13838/while-two-belts-would-be-nice-b-j-penn-just-focused-on-win-at-ufc-94.mma

Penn has fought from lightweight all the way up to heavyweight in his eight-year career. But Saturday night's bout with St. Pierre will mark Penn's first trip outside of the lightweight division since a 2006 battle with Matt Hughes. Despite critical depictions of his training process on the Spike TV-broadcast, Penn said his body is well-prepared for the bout.

"I'm at 171 pounds right now," Penn said. "I've been here for about three weeks. This is it. This is my weight, 170 pounds. That's what I am.

"I'm not a 187-pounder trying to make 170 pounds. I'm not a true 155-pounder. I am a 165 to 170-pounder. This is me. This is what I live at."

While many MMA analysts believe Penn performs best when competing at 155 pounds, the 30-year-old said he actually feels most comfortable at welterweight.

"I don't feel I'm at my best at 155 (pounds) because I've got to cut all that water the week of the fight," Penn said. "I don't think that you perform at your best when you cut that kind of weight. St. Pierre says that he cuts 17 pounds the week of the fight, and that guy standing across the ring from him also cut 17 pounds the week of the fight. I'm going to be able to push longer, harder and stronger than he can. I think that will play into my advantage, I believe."

(and on "strategy")..."It's not like, 'Oh, I'm going to kick his leg because he doesn't think I'm going to kick,' or, 'I'm going to punch and dominate him with my jab.' It's not one of those fights. I'm going to go and I'm going to take this guy out. And when the fight's done, it's done."

...."I don't know how I'm going to win this fight, but I know I'm going to win."

The difference between GSP and BJ is not 15lbs of fat. GSP is the much bigger man. BJ just likes to fight at the same weight he walks around at and GSP likes to cut weight to get size advantages on his oppoents. That is why they are one weight class apart instead of two. Here is a snip of a BJ interview

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13838/while-two-belts-would-be-nice-b-j-penn-just-focused-on-win-at-ufc-94.mma

Penn has fought from lightweight all the way up to heavyweight in his eight-year career. But Saturday night's bout with St. Pierre will mark Penn's first trip outside of the lightweight division since a 2006 battle with Matt Hughes. Despite critical depictions of his training process on the Spike TV-broadcast, Penn said his body is well-prepared for the bout.

"I'm at 171 pounds right now," Penn said. "I've been here for about three weeks. This is it. This is my weight, 170 pounds. That's what I am.

"I'm not a 187-pounder trying to make 170 pounds. I'm not a true 155-pounder. I am a 165 to 170-pounder. This is me. This is what I live at."

While many MMA analysts believe Penn performs best when competing at 155 pounds, the 30-year-old said he actually feels most comfortable at welterweight.

"I don't feel I'm at my best at 155 (pounds) because I've got to cut all that water the week of the fight," Penn said. "I don't think that you perform at your best when you cut that kind of weight. St. Pierre says that he cuts 17 pounds the week of the fight, and that guy standing across the ring from him also cut 17 pounds the week of the fight. I'm going to be able to push longer, harder and stronger than he can. I think that will play into my advantage, I believe."

(and on "strategy")..."It's not like, 'Oh, I'm going to kick his leg because he doesn't think I'm going to kick,' or, 'I'm going to punch and dominate him with my jab.' It's not one of those fights. I'm going to go and I'm going to take this guy out. And when the fight's done, it's done."

...."I don't know how I'm going to win this fight, but I know I'm going to win."

:cheers:

I almost feel like MMA should make guys weighin the day of the fight.

But the thing is BJ don't care because he loves to fight and he seeks out the best available. BJ reminds me of the the little 150lb fighter in the gym who is the 1st to jump up to spar with the big bad 205lber that everyone is trying to avoid. That is why he is my favorite fighter.

What is wrong with BJ Penn holding and defending two belts? No one seems to have a problem with the prospect of Anderson Silva doing the same thing, now that he has begun fighting at 205. I mean if he keeps fighting at 205 it is only a matter of time before he gets a title shot.(Unless he gets beat back down to 185)

MMA as a sport is still in it's infancy, it needs stars. It's needs guy skilled enough that they can do these types of things. The masses don't watch a sport where the belts are traded every other fight because no single fighter is THAT much better then the next. The masses want a champion to dominate the competition for awhile, until the next young dominant champ comes up and takes their place.

I know he wants to be regarded as the best ever, and that STILL won't happen if he beats GSP.

Give the fans what they want, yes. Or they'll hiss and boo, God forsaken American fans. I'd like to see fairness in the UFC. Machida should have had his title shot already, Werdum should have had a title shot before he got pegged by Dos Santos, Florian should be fighting BJ in about a month for the belt. But it's a popularity contest. Give me the Yankees and Red Sox, screw the Devil Rays and Phillies. I've always been huge on trying to get people to become bigger fans of the sport, but there are titles to be defended before weight division hopscotch ensues.

As I said, my idea is far-fetched. I was talking out of my ass, trying to create an idea to make this more of a win-lose situation for both parties. Especially since BJ is getting a golden ticket in to this fight, IMO.

I wonder if Tito would get a title shot if he came back in to the UFC for getting a Draw with Rashad Evans. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the thread, Mike. :cheers:

I agree with you that BJ holding two titles (or Silva or GSP for that matter) is not that big a deal. No one at 155 right now can touch BJ. Not even Double's boy The Flo. In fact I could argue that The Flo has to go through Sherk to get a title shot since Sherk so thoroughly dominated him.

Same for GSP at 170. Alves is a good fight, but for me he needs to make wieght and win again at 170 before I give him his shot. I know Swick wants that fight. Let them fight while BJ moves up to take on Silva (:silly:)

Werdum did not deserve anything but what he got. He may have won a couple fights, but he wasn't impressive in any of them.

...and Tito whooped on Rashad BTW. Point deduction made it a draw. Rashad is twice the fighter he was then though.

:cheers:

I almost feel like MMA should make guys weighin the day of the fight.

But the thing is BJ don't care because he loves to fight and he seeks out the best available. BJ reminds me of the the little 150lb fighter in the gym who is the 1st to jump up to spar with the big bad 205lber that everyone is trying to avoid. That is why he is my favorite fighter.

I do feel that way, but we all know it will never happen.

BJ is like Fedor in that respect. If Fedor went on a diet and learned to cut weight he could make 205 easy (weighed 230 for his last fight). How crazy would that be? Same with Cro Cop.

my only problem with holding two titles, is that the other contenders in each divisions would essentially be held hostage for an undetermined length of time.

When there are true contenders waiting around there is a problem. When you are Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, or GSP, there is no problem. 155, 170, and 185 has some rankings they can work out before they say someone is too deserving of a title shot to fight anyone else.

205 is a different story. That champ has a lot of fights ahead before he can think about moving around.

I do feel that way, but we all know it will never happen.

BJ is like Fedor in that respect. If Fedor went on a diet and learned to cut weight he could make 205 easy (weighed 230 for his last fight). How crazy would that be? Same with Cro Cop.

Fedor at 205 wow:laugh:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/blog/2009/01/quinton-jackson-title-shot-with-win.asp

"Yeah, I think if Quinton beats Jardine, he'll get the next shot at the title," said UFC president Dana White following Wednesday's UFC 94 pre-fight press conference in Las Vegas.

And that is regardless of the outcome of a key battle at UFC 94. Lyoto Machida, the No. 4 ranked light heavyweight fighter in the world, and No. 10 ranked Thiago Silva are slated for a showdown in the top undercard fight at UFC 94. Both have been on a tear through the 205-pound division and both are undefeated.

But while the winner of Machida vs. Silva is likely to narrow the field of contenders to the title currently held by "Sugar" Rashad Evans, it appears that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson -- with a win over Keith Jardine at UFC 96 on March 7 -- will jump to the head of the line

so basically the only way the winner of Machida/Silva gets a shot at the title is if Rampage loses.

if he wins w/o any lasting injuries, i would imagine Rashad/Rampage would be one of the fights at UFC 100

yeah it does, but apparently he has some nagging injuries from the championship fight. if i'm doing the math right, ufc 100 will be early mid july.

at the rate he's improving though, the time off may serve him well. he was off for almost a year before he murdered chuck

That's good math

mmajunkie

UFC 100 to be held July 11 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 28, 2009 at 6:40 pm ET

The Ultimate Fighting Championships' landmark "UFC 100" event will take place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports reported the date in his latest Mailbag feature.

Although UFC President Dana White told Iole he hasn't begun matchmaking for the event, and though rumors that all five UFC belts would be contested at the event proved unfounded, UFC 100 is nonetheless expected to be a blockbuster event.

White has previously stated UFC 100 is likely to have some extra razzle-dazzle. (However, it's worth noting that when including UFC Fight Night and The Ultimate Fighter Finale events, UFC 100 will actually be the organization's 132nd event.)

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the UFC hasn't yet officially reserved UFC 100's July 11 date with the commission. However, it's unlikely to be an issue. After all, "We just received the date request for the May 23 UFC (event) yesterday," Kizer stated in an email. Yet, many of the fights on that UFC 98 fight card are already signed or close to signed.

UFC 100 also marks the UFC's return to the Mandalay Bay Events Center. The UFC has recently opted for the venue's sister property, the 14,700-capacity MGM Grand Garden Arena, for major Las Vegas events.

Mandalay Bay, which accommodates approximately 11,000 spectators, last hosted an event in July 2008 when then-UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson and Forrest Griffin headlined UFC 86. Since then, the MGM Grand Garden Arena has hosted UFC 91 and UFC 92 in late 2008, and the venue whosts Saturday's UFC 94 event and UFC 98 on May 23.