Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'm kind of pissed that Rampage is fighting Wanderlei for the 3rd ****ing time.

I swear that Shogun vs. Rampage would've been such a better idea. They both lost to Forrest and Rampage would get the rematch and not have any excuses.

I would much rather see Wanderlei fight Machida

i would rather see the Rampage/Shogun rematch as well. Machida is still fighting Thiago Silva just now its at UFC 94 i believe

i would rather see the Rampage/Shogun rematch as well. Machida is still fighting Thiago Silva just now its at UFC 94 i believe

Yeah i heard that too, that will be officially 9 or 10 months since Machida last fought. If they're going to promote him it's dumb to leave him on the shelf for that long.

Lol to Elite XC owning KJ Noons by stripping his belt and giving Nick Diaz the fight with Eddie Alvarez (the one Noons wanted so bad) for the vacant belt.

:rotflmao:

I absolutely loved reading about that. Also thought of how stupid KJ is whn Jake Shields was talking about how much more he gets recognized since he was on CBS. KJ missed out on a lot more than a title defense.

I absolutely loved reading about that. Also thought of how stupid KJ is whn Jake Shields was talking about how much more he gets recognized since he was on CBS. KJ missed out on a lot more than a title defense.

Yep. And it's his own fault for being stubborn....Elite XC gave him the opportunity and he let it pass him by.

EliteXC Denies Paying Petruzelli to Stand

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sherdog.com Staff

20081006074209_big_news.JPG&width_size=570Seth Petruzelli, who stopped Kimbo Slice on Saturday in Sunrise, Fla., said in an interview Monday that EliteXC officials had paid him to stand with Slice instead of taking him to the ground.

“My original plan was to throw out push kicks -- they’re called ‘teeps,’” Petruzelli said when asked about his strategy during the Monsters in the Morning Show on 104.1 FM in Orlando, Fla. “Throw out push kicks, have him think that I’m going to throw them to try to rush in more and then shoot in on him obviously.”

Petruzelli was then asked whether he wanted to avoid Slice’s standup, and he noted his training with professional boxers as evidence in his confidence.

“I knew I would do all right, actually, standing up with him, but the promoters kind of hinted to me and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him. They didn’t want me to take him down -- let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

The rest of the article...http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/elitexc-denies-paying-petruzelli-to-stand-14673

If this is true, I am going to be really annoyed. But, honestly, I think I trust Pertuzelli more than the EliteXC folks right now.

I love boxing as well as MMA, but it can not be denied that sometimes boxing matches have the feeling that something is not quite legit. I don't want MMA to go down that road. Let the fighters fight.

Edited by lovetoaster

The rest of the article...http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/elitexc-denies-paying-petruzelli-to-stand-14673

If this is true, I am going to be really annoyed. But, honestly, I think I trust Pertuzelli more than the EliteXC folks right now.

I love boxing as well as MMA, but it can not be denied that sometimes boxing matches have the feeling that something is not quite legit. I don't want MMA to go down that road. Let the fighters fight.

The only thing about that is Kimbo had been training to fight a ground guy

Big john McCarthy could be back to reffing!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7298&zoneid=2

Big John McCarthy on Tuesday announced that he is leaving The Fight Network, and could possibly make a return to refereeing.

McCarthy is one of the most highly regarded referees in the sport of mixed martial arts, making his debut as an official at UFC 2. He retired late last year from refereeing to take a position as an analyst and production member for The Fight Network.

It seems that he hasn’t left his new employer on the best of terms. In his final blog entry on The Fight Network website, he said, “Well this is my farewell from the Fight Network. While I will not miss what has happened or transpired at the company, I am really going to miss some very special people that I have come to know and respect in my short time with them.” Later adding, “To all of the higher ups that have taken over the Fight Network over the last year I only have this to say... Shame on you.”

Perhaps more interesting to MMA fans is McCarthy leaving the door open for a possible return to refereeing. “A few people have said that I have attacked the UFC. That is simply not true. I have never said anything bad about the UFC. I spent 14 years of my life trying to build up the UFC and make people understand how incredible the fighters of MMA were. I considered myself very lucky in the fact that I was able to be around the UFC for as long as I was and you never know maybe I will go back to refereeing and someday work another UFC.”

A return to refereeing could only serve to bolster the ranks of officiating in the sport, often considered by many to be one of MMA’s weaker links. McCarthy was one of the first referees to really push for some of the rules and guidelines that helped to shape MMA as we know it today, and helped introduce a standard for professionalism for officials.

McCarthy was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

That's it. I can't even watch Elite XC anymore. It's a shame too because I'll have to boycott my boy Nick Diaz in the process. :(

You see, I alluded to this a couple weeks ago when I said you have to wonder why some of these guys seem to abandon game plans that are working just to put on a show. I said that I wouldn't put it past the promoters to encourage guys to put on a show and stand an bang instead of fighting to win. If you think Elite XC is the only to do this I think you're understimating Dana White's greed.

I'm not saying fights are fixed but when you encourage fighters to stand and brawl by offering extra money you're encouraging guys to not fight to win but to entertain. Look how pissed off Herring gets everytime someone doesn't get in the ring and stand with him. In his own words "I came here to put on a show for the fans". Okay Heath, let me just stand here and let you punch my head off so that we can put on a show.

Dana White has always stated that to him its better to lose in a war, than to win a boring fight

once a boring fighter loses, you rarely hear from them again (Jake O'Brien)

exciting fighters who lose are usually kept around longer

Which is why Leben and Short Fuse Ed Herman are still around. When was the last time either of them won a fight against someone who was a good fighter?

The UFC needs to do everything in it's power to put the best fighters in the world in a cage and let them fight it out. I'm a firm believer in styles make fights and I'm all for matching fighters up that stylistically will put on a good show but encouraging fighters to stand and drop bombs at one another isn't what MMA is all about unless that's all you have as a fighter, then stylistically you matchup.

They need to also quit this "ownership" of fighters and step outside the UFC to bring in the best of the best even if it's for just one fight. The guys signed to contracts who are fighting on the undercards still get exposure and it's still good for the MMA world and the UFC. This "only show in town" mentality is bull****.

i'm usually quick to bash Dana on alot of things but i don't think i can on this one. i agree he needs to put the best fighters on, but the best fighters should also have the responsibilty of becoming more exciting (although most of the best already are)

he's looking at it from a business perspective, his job is put on exciting fights. with the evolution of MMA, there really is no excuse to be a boring fighter anymore. fighters who choose to be boring are doing so at their own peril. hell even Koscheck has become more exciting in his fights. if he can change, i don't see why others can't.

a prime example will be Machida. Dana can't deny him as long as he wins, but the second he loses, he won't get prime matchups because he has a rep of being boring.

Edited by StillUnknown

i'm usually quick to bash Dana on alot of things but i don't think i can on this one. i agree he needs to put the best fighters on, but the best fighters should also have the responsibilty of becoming more exciting (although most of the best already are)

he's looking at it from a business perspective, his job is put on exciting fights. with the evolution of MMA, there really is no excuse to be a boring fighter anymore. fighters who choose to be boring are doing so at their own peril. hell even Koscheck has become more exciting in his fights. if he can change, i don't see why others can't.

a prime example will be Machida. Dana can't deny him as long as he wins, but the second he loses, he won't get prime matchups because he has a rep of being boring.

A prime example is Machida and he's simply a great fighter because he wins and doesn't make mistakes. Is he boring as hell? Yea, but that's no reason to pentalize him. I think the more the MMA game goes in the direction in which you're speaking is the closer it gets to human, I refuse to say ****, dog fighting.

If it wasn't exciting people wouldn't watch but encouraging a guy to fight outside his gameplan or strengths for the sake of putting on a show is a serious foul.

The cliche is people watch NASCAR for the wrecks. What if NASCAR called down to the pits and said "hey Kyle Petty, wreck again for the millionth time so we can have a good race". No matter how you look at it, it just ain't right. Not like Kyle Petty needs to be prompted to wreck I'm just saying for saying sake.

I dunno, like I said matching people up stylistically is one thing. Encouraging guys to fight a certain way for entertainment purposes, bad for the business.

A prime example is Machida and he's simply a great fighter because he wins and doesn't make mistakes. Is he boring as hell? Yea, but that's no reason to pentalize him. I think the more the MMA game goes in the direction in which you're speaking is the closer it gets to human, I refuse to say ****, dog fighting.

If it wasn't exciting people wouldn't watch but encouraging a guy to fight outside his gameplan or strengths for the sake of putting on a show is a serious foul.

The cliche is people watch NASCAR for the wrecks. What if NASCAR called down to the pits and said "hey Kyle Petty, wreck again for the millionth time so we can have a good race". No matter how you look at it, it just ain't right. Not like Kyle Petty needs to be prompted to wreck I'm just saying for saying sake.

I dunno, like I said matching people up stylistically is one thing. Encouraging guys to fight a certain way for entertainment purposes, bad for the business.

Machida isn't be punished now, he's one of the top contenders and is fighting in high-profile fights now. i'm saying that if he loses, his style is such that Dana and the matchmaker won't be in a rush to give him more prime matchups

if a fighter like Machida chooses to play it safe and not make mistakes, thats perfectly fine with me, but that style of fighting has its consequences in terms of how much they can draw and how much they eventually make.

Dec. 10 UFC Card Coming Together

Thursday, October 09, 2008

by Sherdog.com Staff

Josh Koscheck will fight Yoshiyuki Yoshida in the main event of the UFC’s “Fight for the Troops” on Dec. 10 in Fayetteville, N.C.

The UFC announced the previously reported fight Thursday.

Since losing a unanimous decision to Georges St. Pierre in August 2007, Kosheck has won two straight and is now 9-2 in the Octagon and 11-2 overall. Yoshida (10-2) is not nearly as well known as Koscheck, but he is widely respected as a talented welterweight who could break through in the UFC.

Also on the card, Mike Swick will fight Jonathan Goulet, and Frankie Edgar will take on Matt Wiman.

The event will air live on Spike TV at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT from the Crown Coliseum.

Expected lineup:

Josh Koscheck vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Mike Swick vs. Jonathan Goulet

Frankie Edgar vs. Matt Wiman

Steve Bruno vs. Johnny Rees

Eddie Sanchez vs. Justin McCully

Luigi Fioravanti vs. Brodie Farber

Ben Saunders vs. Brandon Wolff

Dale Hartt vs. Corey Hill

Nate Loughran vs. Tim Credeur

In other news, John Koppenhaver's Sherdog page:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/War-Machine-10999

I know someone who trains with him. He told me how he was getting sued by TNA because they have a copyright on the name for a wrestler (Rhino), so he had to make his name legally make his name "War Machine" in order to use it and not got sued.

Someone asked him why he didn't just change his middle name. War gave a look like "damn. I didn;t think of that." and said, "the paper work is already filed.

lol.gif