Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

looking at a few of the fights on the card makes me realize just how far MMA fighter still have to go in improving their standup. the wild looping punches make for some excitement, but as one who appreciates technique, alot of it still remains very sloppy.

MMA seems to be evolving in all areas with the exception of boxing technique. Muay thai is getting better, BJJ has the best guys in the world doing MMA now, collegiate & olympic champion wrestlers, but yet the boxing aspect of MMA hasn't improved at the same rates.

on another note, Bisping was officially announced as a coach of the next TUF: USA vs. UK. the other coach hasn't been named yet, but will probably be either Franklin or Hendo

Edited by StillUnknown

looking at a few of the fights on the card makes me realize just how far MMA fighter still have to go in improving their standup. the wild looping punches make for some excitement, but as one who appreciates technique, alot of it still remains very sloppy.

Joe Rogan eluded to this yesterday. I disagree. I think there's a stark contrast between fighting for boxing, fighting for kickboxing, and fighting for MMA. Sure, the Lytle fight was just a wild brawl, but perhaps that's why he has 15 losses. The difference is within the core of the fighting styles. Balance, technique, gameplanning for only fighting with the fists.

In boxing, no balance has to be comprimised for the many things that can happen to you in MMA. You can throw a punch or combination without anticipating a takedown, knee, elbow or muay thai clinch. You are free to throw pristine-looking strikes in boxing without having to worry about your opponent grabbing at your thighs. In fact, you can medyl in the pocket in boxing with your gloves tightly secured around your face and elbows covering your midsection. Bobbing and weaving, looking for an opening to release a hook. The in-the-pocket work in boxing is some of the most beautiful technique the sport possesses. But if you do that in MMA, you are asking for it.

MMA seems to be evolving in all areas with the exception of boxing technique. Muay thai is getting better, BJJ has the best guys in the world doing MMA now, collegiate & olympic champion wrestlers, but yet the boxing aspect of MMA hasn't improved at the same rates.

I hate to say it, but muay thai is way more useful to learn than boxing. Coming in to MMA as a boxer will give you an edge against someone who is foolish enough to stand there and bang it out, but muay thai is the king when it comes to MMA. If great boxers are to become MMA champions, they need to get in to MMA before they even reach the status of "great boxer". Even a 26 year old champion boxer would have a hard time transitioning in to MMA. The sport is not one of the best building blocks when it comes to becoming an MMA fighter.

i agree with most of what you said in regards to finding that balance when you have to look for other things.

i'm not expecting the fighters to be world-class boxers or even strikers in general. i just think that standup technique in terms of how they throw punches hasn't changed as fast as they have adapted to other disciplines

i could be a bit biased looking at this since i've been watching boxing since i was like 5 or 6, but i think the level of boxing technique could improve w/o sacrificing your defense to the other variables a MMA fight presents

If Rampage can develop Bisping's power, he can start being considered to fight Anderson. But not quite yet.

I assume you had this backwards. :)

Also, as much as I do not like Bisping, I was impressed with how humble he was after the fight when Rogan asked him if he thought he was ready for a title shot. I was surprised when he said he was not ready. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is either, but most guys do not really give you an honest assessment like Bisping did.

Edited by lovetoaster

bisping ran like a ***** the whole fight because every time he stepped in he got rocked. leben has great hands but he doesnt care enough about eating punches to do anything. the fact that it was a "unanimous decision" is complete BS too and shows the home town favoritism.

Vera is a bust. It sucks for me to say that because he is hometown but he just doesnt have the killer instinct. He should have destroyed Jardine and had plenty of chances to.

the rest of the fights were dull and not worth mentioning..lol

the winner of Hendo/Franklin will coach opposite of Bisping on TUF. then the coaches will fight for presumably a title shot, although i'm not sure if that would still be the case if Rich were the last man standing in that group

I rather see Hendo vs. Bisping, but Hendo vs. Franklin will be a better fight than anything involving Bisping.

I definitely don't want to see Anderson/Franklin 3, but Anderson/Hendo 2 would be more interesting. Hendo is the only person to win a round against Anderson in forever.

Vera is a bust. It sucks for me to say that because he is hometown but he just doesnt have the killer instinct. He should have destroyed Jardine and had plenty of chances to.

Everyone knows that platform to beat Keith Jardine...just come at him like a bat out of hell and he will inevitably get KTFO'd lol.

Everyone knows that platform to beat Keith Jardine...just come at him like a bat out of hell and he will inevitably get KTFO'd lol.

it took silva 27 seconds to prove that.

and another thing Im tired of in the UFC is Goldberg..that guy was at least half a round behind the rest of us after Vera pushed Jardine's knee in.

"I think something might be wrong with his knee Joe"

really dude? you think maybe the fact that it was pushed backwards and he is now hopping and hobbling could make you think that?

he is also waaaaaaaaaay too one sided when commentating. you would have thought bisping was destroying leben and that he could beat rampage with the way goldberg went on and on and on...:2cents:

Goldberg tries to slip Chuck Liddell's name into the commentary of every match. That gets old too.

and that he still calls matt hughes "the greatest middleweight"

look, matty was my horse from the day he walked in the octagon but he isnt even fighting anyone. hes not even on the card. he hasnt won anything or looked like the matt of old in forever. leave it alone!!

EliteXC and Pro Elite Fold

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-nov-8-elitexc-cancels-pro-elite-folds-14860

EliteXC “Night of Champions,” scheduled for Nov. 8 at the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nev., has been cancelled as the promotion heads into its final days of business, Sherdog.com has learned from numerous sources.

Joey Villasenor, who was slated to challenge Robbie Lawler for the EliteXC middleweight crown in Reno, was informed of the show's cancellation Monday evening.

TJ Thompson, a Pro Elite executive, said he'd been informed Monday morning by the company that it was closing its doors for good this week and that bankruptcy paperwork had already been filed. Thompson's Hawaii-based Icon Sport promotion was purchased by EliteXC's parent company, Pro Elite, in 2007.

As of Monday afternoon, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer said he had not received word that the event had been cancelled.

A notice posted Monday evening at graciefighter.com read, “We are confirming that EliteXC has folded. What this means for our fans and supporters is that there will not be a Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez fight on November 8th.”

Graciefighter.com is operated by representatives of Diaz’s camp, who was slated to face Alvarez for the vacant EliteXC 160-pound title.

Representatives from Pro Elite did not return calls Monday.

Pro Elite, which has accrued $55 million deficit during its two years of operation, had been in need of a helping hand in recent months.

On Sept. 17, Showtime Networks filed public notice with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission announcing its intention to enter preliminary negotiations for the purchase of the fledgling company.

Showtime, a subsidiary of the parent conglomerate CBS Corporation, already has broadcasting deals with the Los Angeles-based company on both its premium cable channel and CBS. Showtime also has a 20% ownership stake in Pro Elite.

Discussions of Pro Elite’s purchase were said to have gone well and a deal looked imminent as of two weeks ago when EliteXC held its third installment of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS. The Oct. 4 event, which was funded entirely by Showtime, drew 4.56 million viewers and almost matched their initial May offering on the network.

But negative press surrounding questionable conduct before the main event between Seth Petruzelli and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson have overshadowed the ratings success. Petruzelli, who stepped into the headlining bout on an hour's notice and beat Slice in 14 seconds with a short right jab, intonated afterward on a Monday morning talk show that promoters had given him added monetary incentive to stand with the less ground-savvy Slice.

Pro Elite officials later denied any wrongdoing, calling the pre-fight locker room discussion a "knockout bonus" offer, but public outcry led the Florida State Boxing Commission to open an investigation on the matter

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

EliteXC and Pro Elite Fold

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-nov-8-elitexc-cancels-pro-elite-folds-14860

EliteXC “Night of Champions,” scheduled for Nov. 8 at the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nev., has been cancelled as the promotion heads into its final days of business, Sherdog.com has learned from numerous sources.

Joey Villasenor, who was slated to challenge Robbie Lawler for the EliteXC middleweight crown in Reno, was informed of the show's cancellation Monday evening.

TJ Thompson, a Pro Elite executive, said he'd been informed Monday morning by the company that it was closing its doors for good this week and that bankruptcy paperwork had already been filed. Thompson's Hawaii-based Icon Sport promotion was purchased by EliteXC's parent company, Pro Elite, in 2007.

As of Monday afternoon, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer said he had not received word that the event had been cancelled.

A notice posted Monday evening at graciefighter.com read, “We are confirming that EliteXC has folded. What this means for our fans and supporters is that there will not be a Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez fight on November 8th.”

Graciefighter.com is operated by representatives of Diaz’s camp, who was slated to face Alvarez for the vacant EliteXC 160-pound title.

Representatives from Pro Elite did not return calls Monday.

Pro Elite, which has accrued $55 million deficit during its two years of operation, had been in need of a helping hand in recent months.

On Sept. 17, Showtime Networks filed public notice with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission announcing its intention to enter preliminary negotiations for the purchase of the fledgling company.

Showtime, a subsidiary of the parent conglomerate CBS Corporation, already has broadcasting deals with the Los Angeles-based company on both its premium cable channel and CBS. Showtime also has a 20% ownership stake in Pro Elite.

Discussions of Pro Elite’s purchase were said to have gone well and a deal looked imminent as of two weeks ago when EliteXC held its third installment of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS. The Oct. 4 event, which was funded entirely by Showtime, drew 4.56 million viewers and almost matched their initial May offering on the network.

But negative press surrounding questionable conduct before the main event between Seth Petruzelli and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson have overshadowed the ratings success. Petruzelli, who stepped into the headlining bout on an hour's notice and beat Slice in 14 seconds with a short right jab, intonated afterward on a Monday morning talk show that promoters had given him added monetary incentive to stand with the less ground-savvy Slice.

Pro Elite officials later denied any wrongdoing, calling the pre-fight locker room discussion a "knockout bonus" offer, but public outcry led the Florida State Boxing Commission to open an investigation on the matter

I was about to post this...no Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez for now :mad: I'm so tired of these cards being delayed and/or canceled man wtf.

So if Showtime/CBS doesn't buy the company then what? Will we see these fighters in the UFC?

And more importantly where will the Women's divisions go?

Will Dana change his mind and set up women's divisions if he can land Gina Carano?

Dana needs to be on the phone getting contracts for Eddie Alvarez, Rafael Feijao (Anderson's LHW student), Jake Shields (just so he can be beat and stop talking ****), and maybe Antonio Silva for the HW division depending on how his steroid charge works out

and Dana really needs to get a womens division, i'm sure the UFC could bring in all the top talent. hell they could probably have a full season of TUF just for the women fighters

Edited by StillUnknown