Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

Nice link.

Not that you don't know this, 99- but it's worth mentioning that the other guy was a virtual workout dummy and Chuck probably has these habits fresh in mind after getting demolished. :)

Very true. I think he should make a point of keeping them in mind for fights in the future. Like I said after his KO loss, he's getting older and slower and fighting with that hands-down stance probably isn't the best style for him.

I guess people get stubborn and stuck in their ways...look at Cro Cop. :(

I actually hope this happens, would be a good bout to watch

http://mmajunkie.com/news/12894/rich-franklin-could-meet-dan-henderson-jan-17-at-ufc-93.mma

Rich Franklin could meet Dan Henderson Jan. 17 at UFC 93

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin (24-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC) could meet former PRIDE title-holder Dan Henderson (23-7 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at a UFC event tentatively scheduled for Jan. 17 at The 02 in Dublin, Ireland.

Sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Franklin-Henderson fight has been discussed as a possibility for the fight card, though bout agreements have not been distributed.

The tentatively scheduled event was first reported by Yahoo! Sport UK & Ireland earlier today.

That report stated that Franklin could meet Chuck Liddell or Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the event's headline bout. But sources close to the fighters said that a Franklin-Henderson fight may be the most likely option.

However, sources said it's not known if the fight would take place at 205 or 185 pounds (nor is it known if the fight would even be a main event). Although Henderson has bounced between the two weight classes, Franklin only recently moved up to 205 pounds after more than three years competing as a middleweight. Earlier this month at UFC 88, he defeated Matt Hamill via third-round TKO (due to a body kick) in his return to light heavyweight.

Meanwhile, after suffering championship losses to then-UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton Jackson at UFC 75 and middleweight title-holder Anderson Silva at UFC 82, Henderson picked up his first UFC victory in more than 10 years with a unanimous-decision victory over Rousimar Palhares at UFC 88.

Recently, Henderson has been rumored as a possible coach for the ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter." The upcoming installment of the UFC's reality series will feature a U.S. vs. U.K. theme and begin filming in January. Season-three winner Michael Bisping is the logical choice to head the U.K. team. However, if he were to fight in January at UFC 93, Henderson would seem an unlikely candidate to head the U.S. squad.

In any manner, UFC 93 could also feature the long-awaited grudge match between former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, according to the Yahoo! report. The "TUF 6" coaches were originally scheduled to meet in December 2007, but Serra was forced out of the bout with a back injury. (Hughes has since been sidelined by a knee injury suffered in a loss to Thiago Alves earlier this year.)

Serra recently told MMAjunkie.com he expects the fight to happen in early 2009 and that he "plans on retiring" Hughes.

To date the UFC has never hosted an event in the Republic of Ireland. The recently revamped O2 (formerly "The Point") can hold nearly 13,000 spectators.

Speaking of Chuck, I'd like to see him and Franklin go at it. Think that'd be a solid fight.

Awesome matchup!

Although the Franklin-Hendo fight (if it comes thru) will be totally cool too. I see you guys already have taken Hendo. I don't know... Rich looked REAL good against Matt Hamill. Toss-up in my mind here.

Good luck Coleman, break an arm.

Franklin/Henderson Confirmed...Shogun vs. Coleman slated for Dublin

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/franklin-henderson-rua-coleman-set-for-dublin-14613

The UFC will open 2009 in Dublin, Ireland, the promotion announced Tuesday.

The Jan. 17 event, which will take place at the O2 Dublin, will feature a light heavyweight main event between Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin.

“This is the fight my fans have wanted for a long time now, and they want to see me fight Rich Franklin,” said Henderson in a news release. “I think this will be a great fight for Ireland. It definitely will be exciting because we both like to stand and bang, and we both have knockout power. I’m excited to go to Ireland and to take on Rich; I think he’s a tough opponent and a huge challenge, but I don’t see myself losing to him.”

Henderson had been competing at 185 pounds since returning to the UFC in September 2007, though he spent much of his career fighting heavier opponents. Franklin, a former UFC middleweight champion, returned to 205 pounds last month with a win over Matt Hamill.

“Dan Henderson has great credentials, and he is going to be one of the toughest fights of my career,” Franklin said. “That being said, I’m planning on winning the fight, and I’m looking forward to fighting in the main event and fighting in Ireland. I love the fans, and the way they react by singing and chanting makes it a unique experience for me.”

Also on the card will be a rematch Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Coleman.

interesting that the fight is happening at 205. i actually think that benefits Hendo, his gas tank is better when he doesn't have to worry about cutting the extra weight

Shogun/Coleman should be a good showcase for Shogun. i refuse to believe he's as bad as he looked against Griffin. Shogun of his Pride days would only make the LHW division even more exciting than it already is considering how young he still is

You beat me to it. I am really excited about the Franklin-Hendo fight. I am a big fan of both, but I am going to have to go with Henderson here.

The Shogun-Coleman fight is also interesting given the background between the two. I am also anxious to see how Shogun looks after a major injury and what Coleman has left.

My only question is, is it free? Most international cards are, and they will be having another major card two weeks later...

I'd take Hendo over Franklin as well, but Franklin's my sentimental favorite. He seems to gameplan for every fight, so I don't have Hendo as much of a favorite. Actually, might even consider sig betting with someone (only caveat is that the VT sig doesn't get removed).

I'd take Hendo over Franklin as well, but Franklin's my sentimental favorite. He seems to gameplan for every fight, so I don't have Hendo as much of a favorite. Actually, might even consider sig betting with someone (only caveat is that the VT sig doesn't get removed).

As SU brought up earlier, I am surprised that the fight is at 205. I might go with Frankin at 185, but I think Hendo should have a clear strength advantage at 205. it should be a trememdous fight, given how well Franklin prepares for each fight.

i refuse to believe he's as bad as he looked against Griffin. Shogun of his Pride days would only make the LHW division even more exciting than it already is considering how young he still is

I was watching that fight a few nights ago and honestly, he didn't look that bad against Griffin. He was winning the standup battle for sure but I think Griffin was just too strong for him at the end.

As far as Shogun, I mean, c'mon, all you have to do is compare his belly from Pride to the belly he has now to know that there is something significantly wrong. Assume however you want, but something made his belly - and overall physical build - turn from prime to slime.

Injuries, lack of interest, "diet", whatever it is...Shogun has a huge difference in appearance. Even looking back at his second fight against Alistar a year and a half ago, Shogun looked primed and ready, and didn't come close to gassing in that fight. Even after getting handled pretty well in the standup.

Of course, if there's anyone that can gas even the best marathon runners in MMA, it's Forrest Griffin. He is a strong, nagging opponent that keeps busy at all times. It was the perfect storm for Forrest. Shogun was out of shape, and Forrest thrives on tiring out his opponents. Forrest is only getting better, but Shogun looks like he's on the road to getting worse. Coleman is a sensable matchup. Get him back for breaking his arm, and get back on the right track. I just think that Shogun, torn ligament or not, can be doing more situps than it looks like he's been doing. Can you say, Lavar Arrington?

Can someone tell me about the Elite XC fights Saturday? Here's the card; I don't know much about the fighters other than Shamrock, Kimbo, and Carano :drool:

Kimbo vs. Shamrock

Carano vs. Kelly Kobold

Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley

Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy “Big Country” Nelson

Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Benji Radach

Edited by ACW
Can someone tell me about the Elite XC fights Saturday? Here's the card; I don't know much about the fighters other than Shamrock, Kimbo, and Carano :drool:

Kimbo vs. Shamrock

Carano vs. Kelly Kobold

Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley

Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy “Big Country” Nelson

Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Benji Radach

Jake Shields is a top-10 welterweight and should win his fight, Andrei Arlovski is an awesome and entertaining HW that has very good standup, he should KO Roy Nelson in rounds 2 or 3.

Ninja Rua is the older brother of Shogun Hua ( a very popular and ruthless LHW). Ninja is very good all-around and this should be a good test for him.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Jake Shields is a top-10 welterweight and should win his fight, Andrei Arlovski is an awesome and entertaining HW that has very good standup, he should KO Roy Nelson in rounds 2 or 3.

Ninja Rua is the older brother of Shogun Hua ( a very popular and ruthless LHW). Ninja is very good all-around and this should be a good test for him.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

i don't know what it is about Shields, but i always find myself rooting for whoever fights him. he should beat Daley, but if Shields is dumb enough to stand with him, Semtex will KO him.

on another note, some pretty interesting comments from the pro pick's of the Kimbo/Shammy fight: http://sherdog.com/news/articles/pros-pick-slice-vs-shamrock-14634

Zac George: Kimbo (via) first round TKO followed by an AARP lawsuit.

:rotflmao:

Rich Clementi: Kimbo by Shamrock giving up early. I think it would be a great UFC prelim fight.
Chael Sonnen: No reason to think Ken won’t throw this fight the same way he did the last one. Kimbo, round one.
Edited by StillUnknown