Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

What's up guys? Missed the fights but got to see the replay of Silva vs. Henderson just now. To sum up the fight, there is one thing that nobody can do to Anderson, and that's strike with him. Henderson was successful winning round 1 because he latched on to a Greco clinch and took Anderson down. While Hendo didn't do much damage, he still scored points with hammerfists and gained side mount.

The second round was one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen in a while. And I'm not even talking about the finish. You see Anderson come out completely confident, loose as hell, with scary head movement, shimmying his hands around, throwing kicks like they're jabs. I mean, c'mon, the guy was born to fight. Hendo made the mistake of trying to throw his haymaker hooks in the 2nd. That's like a tank shooting aimlessly around a city to kill a sniper with a rocket launcher. You can show off your firepower all you want, but you're gonna get picked apart. When Henderson/Silva II happens, it will be better, because nobody can strike with Anderson. Hendo will clinch up and avoid being stunned by any means. I'm starting to doubt if Rampage could beat this guy.

All in all, I went 6/10 on the card. Definitely my worst, and I attribute it to having to quickly analyze too many of the fights. I'll come right out and say I knew I should have bet for Herring against Kongo. I'm wondering how Kongo has knocked people out before. The guy looks like chizzled stone but throws some relatively pitty-pat stuff for such a ripped guy. Herring almost shut the fight down in the first 10 seconds. I saw that coming from a mile away. I knew Kongo's only hope was to get a nice headkick on Herring or score points until the end; and by God I scratched my head when I walked away picking Kongo. Oh well, you live, you learn.

Didn't see any other fight, but I picked wrong on Leben and Luigi, also. Hopefully I can download the event somewhere, because there isn't any UFC until April 2nd, which is a Fight Night.

Anybody check out the paychecks for the last fight? Arlovski made almost as much as Silva. WTF?

Also, was looking around on Sherdog.com today and there was some people on there posting that Machida would be an excellent matchup for Silva as well. Many seem to think Machida's methodic approach to fighting would frustrate the hell out of Silva causing him to possibly making a mistake and getting sub'd. Several want to see GSP go up as well and more than a few would like to see BJ Penn fight him at 185. The general consensus is Silva is already as low as he can go in weight and couldn't drop a weight class so most would have to move up or down to fight him.

There's also a pretty good radio interview of Lindland on there. He talks about how Hendo worked his gameplan in round one then F'd up in #2 by trying to stand and trade with Silva. He said Hendo thought he was out of Silva's range but obvioulsy he wasn't. In Lindlands mind the best way to beat Silva is to out wrestle him. He said you need to eat some punches to get on the inside of him and stay on the inside neutralizing his ability to strike and take advantage of his reach. Another caller on the radio show asked why more people don't take Lutter's lead and stay on top of him and try to sub him. The general consensus is no one in the weight class can out strike him.

Personally I'd like to see a well conditioned/prepared Lindland fight Silva. Dana is doing the MMA fans a grave injustice by blocking such a matchup. He needs to get over himself. It's obvious he thinks he's the MMA matchup God. Look how he's handling the Couture/Fedor matchup; they both want the fight but Dana wants to play God and determine what they do with the rest of their MMA lives. Grow up Dana, the fans want to see the best of the best fight. :2cents:

:doh:

Shogun Hurts Knee Again, Out of Liddell Fight

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11631

Mauricio Rua (Pictures) has withdrawn from his June 7 bout in London against Chuck Liddell (Pictures) due to a ruptured ACL in his left knee, the UFC announced Tuesday on its Web site.

The injury is the same one that the 26-year-old Rua suffered in 2007. After his loss to Forrest Griffin (Pictures), "Shogun" had surgery to repair his knee. Now another surgery will be scheduled soon, according to the UFC.

"I've never seen ‘Shogun' so motivated for a fight like this in years," Rua spokesman Eduardo Alonso told UFC.com. "This was like a new beginning for him."

A new opponent for Liddell is expected to be announced soon.

:doh:

Shogun Hurts Knee Again, Out of Liddell Fight

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11631

Mauricio Rua (Pictures) has withdrawn from his June 7 bout in London against Chuck Liddell (Pictures) due to a ruptured ACL in his left knee, the UFC announced Tuesday on its Web site.

The injury is the same one that the 26-year-old Rua suffered in 2007. After his loss to Forrest Griffin (Pictures), "Shogun" had surgery to repair his knee. Now another surgery will be scheduled soon, according to the UFC.

"I've never seen ‘Shogun' so motivated for a fight like this in years," Rua spokesman Eduardo Alonso told UFC.com. "This was like a new beginning for him."

A new opponent for Liddell is expected to be announced soon.

Well that sucks, I was looking forward to that fight.

I read three good suggestions for a replacements on the Sherdog forums:

Arona

Lil' Nog

Dan Henderson

Henderson would be my choice out of that group, but I have my own suggestion:

Brandon Vera. He has always said he wants to fight Chuck. The line at heavy weight is too long right now after losing to Silvia. If he beats Chuck at 205 he is right up there at the top.

Arona

Lil' Nog

Dan Henderson

Brandon Vera. He has always said he wants to fight Chuck. The line at heavy weight is too long right now after losing to Silvia. If he beats Chuck at 205 he is right up there at the top.

Those are all possibilities. I think Hendo wants to take a little breather after being thrown to the biggest dogs for the past 2 years. Does Thiago Silva have anything lined up? How about Rashad Evans? Could be a good fight between him and Sokoudjou. Hopefully it's a very intriguing matchup.

Arona

Lil' Nog

Dan Henderson

Liddell v. Vera would be phenomenal. great suggestion. Isn't Brandon fighting at HW these days though?

Liddell v. Vera would be phenomenal. great suggestion. Isn't Brandon fighting at HW these days though?

I would hate it 2 of my favorite fighters. I think Vera could beat Nog for the heavyweight belt right now. Vera had a ton of ring rust and Tim just smothered him. Vera is a very good fighter.

Personally i wanna see Chuck fight NOG right now for the heavyweight belt no in between fights. Chuck is a huge marketing tool and the most popular fighter. I think Rampage has his number much like Chuck had Randys.

I think that could be Chucks best chance to regain gold.

Could Nog take Chuck down or submit him?

I don't think so

Could Chuck finish Nog they way Herring and big Tim could'nt?

I think its very possible

Arona holds his chin upright and honestly i don't think he could hold Chuck down even if he got the takedown.

Henderson i don't think he can hold Chuck down either but could Chuck end it standing up?? dunno Dan has a good chance has well with a heavy punch.

To beat Chuck you gotta do it standing if your not a good striker you really don't have a chance unless you get a pity pat decision like Jardine.

Chuck is looking for a title shot period.

Those are all possibilities. I think Hendo wants to take a little breather after being thrown to the biggest dogs for the past 2 years. Does Thiago Silva have anything lined up? How about Rashad Evans? Could be a good fight between him and Sokoudjou. Hopefully it's a very intriguing matchup.

Evans is fighting Silva at UFC 84. Same card as Wanderlei-Jardine which leaves them out. Machida is fighting Ortiz the same night. The only other name I can think of is Vitor Beltfort who I think has been wanting to get back the UFC. They could make it a Jardine-Liddel rematch and have Wanderlei fight Anderson Silva at 185.

Evans is fighting Silva at UFC 84. Same card as Wanderlei-Jardine which leaves them out. Machida is fighting Ortiz the same night. The only other name I can think of is Vitor Beltfort who I think has been wanting to get back the UFC. They could make it a Jardine-Liddel rematch and have Wanderlei fight Anderson Silva at 185.

Really? The Evans/Silva fight has been confirmed? Cool, that should be interesting. I think Thiago is quietly going to work his way to champion one day. As long as he stays away from getting put to sleep, his confidence is sky-high. I think Soko vs. Liddell would be awesome. I know they probably want to feed Soko some softies so he can develop, but I think he could pose some problems to Chuck right now. It would be an intense fight, that's for sure.

I have a question for you guys. Is there any place to view the locations of the next few UFC events? One of my friends and I have been talking about going to one and the UFC does not really have future locations on their site past early June events. Makes it a little hard to plan.

I would think the locations are mapped out further in advance than that, but maybe I am wrong.

I have a question for you guys. Is there any place to view the locations of the next few UFC events? One of my friends and I have been talking about going to one and the UFC does not really have future locations on their site past early June events. Makes it a little hard to plan.

I would think the locations are mapped out further in advance than that, but maybe I am wrong.

Here is a good place to see the "who and where" of upcoming events:

http://mmaweekly.com/rumors.asp

Is it possible that they set Chuck up against Forrest Griffin? Or is Forrest doing the new TUF season right now?

Because both of them lost to Jardine and both of them beat a former Pride star in their last bouts.

Forrest is coaching the new TUF and then gets a title shot in July.

why not put Liddell against Machida?

Machida took no damage in his fight against Soko, so he would definitely be ready for another fight.

i doubt dana would risk a fight with machida, because chuck stands a good chance of losing, which would throw a wrench into marketing.

why not put Liddell against Machida?

Machida took no damage in his fight against Soko, so he would definitely be ready for another fight.

i doubt dana would risk a fight with machida, because chuck stands a good chance of losing, which would throw a wrench into marketing.

Machida is fighting Tito

Is anyone against Sokoudjou fighting Chuck? It would be a big test for both of them. Chuck wins he's back in the title race, Sokoudjou wins he's back on track. I think it would be an exciting fight. Big punches would be flyin everywhere.

works for me. good fight.

i think shogun getting hurt throws a little wrench into getting chuck another quick title shot.

if he beat shogun, dana could market it as chuck beating the two guys who dominated rampage. now chuck will merely be 2-2 in his last 4 fights provided that he wins his next fight. in a division as stacked as the LHW division, i don't think you can justify giving a title shot to someone who is 2-2 in his last four...........but dana will find a way to make it happen :laugh:

works for me. good fight.

i think shogun getting hurt throws a little wrench into getting chuck another quick title shot.

if he beat shogun, dana could market it as chuck beating the two guys who dominated rampage. now chuck will merely be 2-2 in his last 4 fights provided that he wins his next fight. in a division as stacked as the LHW division, i don't think you can justify giving a title shot to someone who is 2-2 in his last four...........but dana will find a way to make it happen :laugh:

Wow, I never thought about it that way. Sounds like Dana had a nice little plan up his sleeve. I could see him in December: "Chuck got beat by Rampage twice, but Chuck beat the two guys that embarassed Rampage in Pride. I think Chuck Liddell has yet to fight Rampage on a good night, if Rampage Jackson catches Chuck Liddell on a good night, don't be surprised if the tables turn."

I wouldn't be surprised if Kazushi Sakuraba fought Chuck just to justify Chuck-'Page 3 in December. :laugh:

Anyone think that Coleman vs Lesnar is going to be an entertaining fight?

This just seems like the UFC trying to make Brock look like a great fighter by putting him against a fighter that would have DESTROYED him in his prime. If this was Coleman in his prime there would be NO question who would win here.