Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

UFC 97 is in danger. Dance04, you need to call up your peeps and straighten them out.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14004/report-ufc-officials-heading-to-quebec-in-effort-to-save-ufc-97.mma

Report: UFC officials heading to Quebec in effort to save UFC 97

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm ET

After breaking the news on Thursday that Quebec's governing body in charge of regulating combat sports in the province would not sanction the "UFC 97: Redemption" event under the Unified Rules of MMA, French language website Corus Sports.com is reporting that UFC President Dana White will attend meetings in Quebec next week in an attempt to reach a resolution.

The meeting between White and the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux could determine the fate of the nearly sold-out April 18 event, scheduled for the Bell Centre in Montreal.

The same venue played host to UFC 83 in 2008, an event attended by more than 21,000 spectators that generated more than $5.1 million in ticket sales.

The confusion began on Thursday, when Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told CorusSports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

While the commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing -- and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage -- the commission had allowed groups such as promoter Stephen Patry's TKO to operate outside of those boundaries.

Ironically, it may have been Patry's new venture, Strikebox, that caused the commission to reverse its position. While the Feb. 6 event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was allegedly agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began pelting the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

Following the initial reports of an issue, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the organization would do everything in its power to make sure the event went on as planned.

"I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it." Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

According to the report by Corus Sports.com, the meeting will be an attempt "to resolve problems with an open mind."

For continued coverage of "UFC 97: Redemption," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

UFC 97 is in danger. Dance04, you need to call up your peeps and straighten them out.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14004/report-ufc-officials-heading-to-quebec-in-effort-to-save-ufc-97.mma

Report: UFC officials heading to Quebec in effort to save UFC 97

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm ET

After breaking the news on Thursday that Quebec's governing body in charge of regulating combat sports in the province would not sanction the "UFC 97: Redemption" event under the Unified Rules of MMA, French language website Corus Sports.com is reporting that UFC President Dana White will attend meetings in Quebec next week in an attempt to reach a resolution.

The meeting between White and the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux could determine the fate of the nearly sold-out April 18 event, scheduled for the Bell Centre in Montreal.

The same venue played host to UFC 83 in 2008, an event attended by more than 21,000 spectators that generated more than $5.1 million in ticket sales.

The confusion began on Thursday, when Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told CorusSports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

While the commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing -- and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage -- the commission had allowed groups such as promoter Stephen Patry's TKO to operate outside of those boundaries.

Ironically, it may have been Patry's new venture, Strikebox, that caused the commission to reverse its position. While the Feb. 6 event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was allegedly agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began pelting the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

Following the initial reports of an issue, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the organization would do everything in its power to make sure the event went on as planned.

"I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it." Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

According to the report by Corus Sports.com, the meeting will be an attempt "to resolve problems with an open mind."

For continued coverage of "UFC 97: Redemption," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Tell me about it. The whole thing doesn't make any sense. They claim they never knew UFC 83 took place until a few days ago.

Smaller cage and remove elbows and knees, as well as allowing a fighter to get back to his feet after he gets dropped.

Seriously tho, something is going on behind the scenes

From the over-the-hill department...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/shamrock-abbott-grab-quick-wins-at-wargods--16212

Shamrock, Abbott Grab Quick Wins at Wargods

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Joseph Zigler

FRESNO, Calif. –- Ken Shamrock submitted Ross Clifton in a minute flat at Wargods and Ken Shamrock Productions “Valentine’s Eve Massacre” on Friday at the Selland Arena. Shamrock secured the tapout-inducing armbar from side control after flooring Clifton with a clean right hand seconds into the bout.

Clifton, who weighed in at a whopping 380 pounds, towered over the much smaller Shamrock, who tipped the scales at 205 pounds. In a flashback to the early UFC events where Shamrock made his name, the size advantage didn’t help Clifton at all.

After connecting with “The Grizzly,” Shamrock softened his oversized foe with hammerfists before transitioning to the finish.

The win sets up a potential showdown between Shamrock and another Octagon veteran, David "Tank" Abbott –- also victorious tonight -- in April. The pair have been mentioned together often, but a standoff has yet to come to fruition.

“Fifteen years I’ve been waiting to fight somebody. For some reason it didn’t happen,” said the 45-year-old Shamrock. “Tank, if you come in like you did tonight, I’m going to end your career.”

Keeping hopes for that bout alive, Abbott made short work of Mike Bourke in their heavyweight tilt, knocking him senseless in just 29 seconds. Abbott, 43, surprised no one by coming out swinging for the fences. It didn’t take long for him to land his famous right, which clipped Bourke’s neck and left him face down on the canvas.

“I really wish it was Ken Shamrock that ran into one of these,” said Abbott afterward, raising a fist in the air. “I’d like to give him the same payment. And to the fans, drink a beer for me.”

Copyright © 2009, Sherdog.com - All rights reserved.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Edited by Chachie

I actually watched that Shamrock fight. It was streamed on Sherdog for free. The guy he was fighting was huge, and not in the good way. Took one good punch to knock him down, and about 20 seconds to get the armbar on. I like Shamrock from the old UFC days, so it was nice to see him again. Kinda crazy that guys like him and Severn are still fighting now.

I actually watched that Shamrock fight. It was streamed on Sherdog for free. The guy he was fighting was huge, and not in the good way. Took one good punch to knock him down, and about 20 seconds to get the armbar on. I like Shamrock from the old UFC days, so it was nice to see him again. Kinda crazy that guys like him and Severn are still fighting now.

they probably have to, the money wasn't there when they were in their primes. thats why alot of them went to Japan to begin with.