Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8204&zoneid=13

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is set to make its German debut on June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne. While several fights have been rumored for the event over the past couple of months, most have not come to fruition.

MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, however, was able to confirm through multiple independent sources that former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin and former Pride 205-pound champion Wanderlei Silva have agreed to fight each other at UFC 99.

Franklin has fought his last two bouts at light heavyweight, returning to the division after running into a brick wall named Anderson Silva at middleweight. Even though Wanderlei Silva's fights in the UFC have all been at 205-pounds to this point, he has made public his intention of wanting to move down to the 185-pound division.

"I talk with (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva and... say no problem, I'm down for 185? He say, no problem," Silva said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, but adding, "I could fight in both divisions; I could fight 185 and 205."

It appears that he may not fight at either weight come June 13. Though it is too soon for bout agreements, sources have indicated that Franklin and Silva have agreed to face each other at a catch weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 195 pounds.

With both fighters coming off of losses – Franklin to Dan Henderson and Silva to Quinton Jackson, each in the 205-pound division – a catch weight fight doesn't really damage either's hopes for a title shot, as each would likely have to win a couple of fights before being considered a contender again.

A catch weight fight is a logical step for Silva to make his transition to the middleweight division a little easier. Walking around at about 208 pounds, he's never really had to deal much with weight cutting in the past, but will obviously have to in order to compete at middleweight.

great matchup, although i don't like it being at a catchweight. a toss up fight to be honest, both have 1 shot power, both have chins that have failed them in the past

and UFC 97 will take place in Canada, everythings been worked out. no rule changes or anything like that

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8204&zoneid=13

great matchup, although i don't like it being at a catchweight. a toss up fight to be honest, both have 1 shot power, both have chins that have failed them in the past

and UFC 97 will take place in Canada, everythings been worked out. no rule changes or anything like that

Welcome back, SO. :cheers:

I don't like Silva-Franklin at a catchweight. Silva needs to go down so he can stop being outweighed by 15-20LBs. Fighting Franklin does not solve that problem at any weight.

:rotflmao:

Damn someone put A LOT of work into trying to bring GSP down over that ****.

Didn't BJ also cry about having a bum rib in the Hughes fight and didn't he cry about "takedown points" in the first GSP fight? To me he's just a sore loser and an excuse maker that has no business at 170.

Even if the corner guy had Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed GSP's back down, it wasn't enough to cause his entire back & shoulders to be too slick to catch him in anything. There are inspectors and officals all over the place how could they get away with any kind of serious cheating? And on top of that I don't see Jackson or GSP as ones to cheat in the first place. Plus it was the 2nd round. And they were both sweaty as hell already.

BJ got beatdown from his back with elbows and fists and gassed as usual after the midpoint of round 2. Stick to 155 BJ, you're too small to have success at Welterweight.

If GSP beats Alves, let them fight a 3rd time :rolleyes: and get it over with. Penn will get his ass kicked again and hopefully won't have any gay excuses to blame it on.

/Rant off

Sorry but this **** is getting ridiculous.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Didn't BJ also cry about having a bum rib in the Hughes fight and didn't he cry about "takedown points" in the first GSP fight? To me he's just a sore loser and an excuse maker that has no business at 170.

Even if the corner guy had Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed GSP's back down, it wasn't enough to cause his entire back & shoulders to be too slick to catch him in anything. There are inspectors and officals all over the place how could they get away with any kind of serious cheating? And on top of that I don't see Jackson or GSP as ones to cheat in the first place. Plus it was the 2nd round. And they were both sweaty as hell already.

BJ got beatdown from his back with elbows and fists and gassed as usual after the midpoint of round 2. Stick to 155 BJ, you're too small to have success at Welterweight.

If GSP beats Alves, let them fight a 3rd time :rolleyes: and get it over with. Penn will get his ass kicked again and hopefully won't have any gay excuses to blame it on.

/Rant off

I have been disappointed in my guy BJ ever since he started licking blood off his gloves. I was hoping to see him win the GSP fight but his demeanor just before and since the loss continues to confound me. :(

SU that is one sick sub in your sig.

What's it called, I've never seen it done before?

its an attack from the judo technique Kesa Gatame (start at 3:26 of the vid for a demonstration). i've seen it used more in judo than bjj/mma matches

its basically a keylock using the legs and hips instead of arms

Edited by StillUnknown

/Rant off

Penn did suffer a rib injury in the Hughes fight. There is a Doctor's diagnosis around somewhere. GSP did win the first fight on takedown. As for the video, one of his fans made it and put it on his site. I'm sure he doesn't hate it, but it isn't his.

I won't be very excited if there is another fight unless BJ completely rips through his next three opponents without breaking a sweat. He better train with some great 205ers if it does happen. BJ did not look ready for GSP's size and strength.

Penn did suffer a rib injury in the Hughes fight. There is a Doctor's diagnosis around somewhere. GSP did win the first fight on takedown. As for the video, one of his fans made it and put it on his site. I'm sure he doesn't hate it, but it isn't his.

Well it seems like there's just always an excuse with BJ. He can't lose a fight and just move on, there always has to be something to blame.

its an attack from the judo technique Kesa Gatame (start at 3:26 of the vid for a demonstration). i've seen it used more in judo than bjj/mma matches

its basically a keylock using the legs and hips instead of arms

Wow, I own a copy of this video. Maybe I should actually watch it. :paranoid:

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Kos should be getting a better opponent, wtf?? And I'm not betting this UFC chachie, cards to ****in weak to have any fun.

most of the WW were already scheduled, combined with the fact that Kos is hell bent on fighting 5 or 6 times this year, it makes it hard to give him top names (especially since he won't fight Fitch or Swick w/o a title being on the line)

they were already planning on matching him with Karo at UFC 98, but since Karo's suspended i'm not sure if its going to happen

Excerpt from the interview

If you beat Maia, do you think you’ll have earned a shot at Anderson Silva?

As far as earning a shot goes, I’ve done as much as anyone to actually earn a shot. I think this is the fight for the true best middleweight out there. I think I can beat Anderson [silva] and I think Demian Maia can beat him. I think whoever wins between us is the world's best middleweight.

i don't think Mr. Sonnen will pass the post-fight drug test

all fighters made weight for tomorrow's card

it will be live at 3pm(est) for those watching on internet streams

it will replay at 9pm(est) on SPIKE TV

I am actually excited for this card. I don't think I would pay for this card, but hell, its free MMA.

But anyways, I am excited for pretty much all of the fights on the main card. Sanchez/Stevenson is not really a main event fight on most cards, but it should be a good fight. I think it is a darn good card top to bottom.

I am really excited for the Marquart/Gouveia fight.

I am actually excited for this card. I don't think I would pay for this card, but hell, its free MMA.

But anyways, I am excited for pretty much all of the fights on the main card. Sanchez/Stevenson is not really a main event fight on most cards, but it should be a good fight. I think it is a darn good card top to bottom.

I am really excited for the Marquart/Gouveia fight.

I am very excited for those two fights, Sonnen-Maia, and to see Koschek again. He had won me over with his willingness to fight anyone and how much he seems to improve each time out.

4 of the top 5 contenders for the middleweight strap are fighting each other on the card. That should put things in place. I think whoever looks the best in a win out of the two middleweight bouts becomes the number one contender, and the other winner fights Okami for the next shot.

I am having a real tough time picking Marquart-Gouveia.

I have Maia winning by sub.