Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Ok what is this nonsense that I have heard repeated twice now in this thread that "Silver refused to go to the ground with Maia" ??? I mean are you serious? So wait a sec....Damien Maia LAYS ON THE GROUND....literally just lays there....and Silva is supposed to willingly just lay down on top of him?

Yep, because that is definitely how you execute a game plan.

Go re-watch the fight, Maia had enough of Silva, basically had his will broken during the first couple of rounds, and all but gave up without actually ending the fight. Now, I agree that Silva probably could have finished the fight, and instead wanted to play around and act like like a dummy, but you are actually saying that when Maia just laid on the ground refusing to fight, that Silva should have laid on top of him and rolled around for some BJJ?

Seriously WTF?

GSP is faster than Sonnen, not disputing that, stronger? I doubt it, a better wrestler, no to that as well. Also, Sonnen + HGH, vs Anderson Silva with torn rib cartilage probably had something to do with Silva's performance in which he still chocked Sonnen out, showing the guy can win a fight off his back, something none of GSP's opponents can do.

So lets say GSP scores a takedown. He is dealing with a much longer guy who can work off the bottom and potentially submit him.

I am not giving GSP zero chance here, I am just saying I think that Silva would be my pick and I am laying out reasons why.

Also, Anderson Silva has dominated his own weight division and made 2 guys from a higher weight division look like fools, and Forrest is easily one of the heavier LHW's in the conference, so it wasn't like he was beating a slouch.

Also, Sonnen + HGH, vs Anderson Silva with torn rib cartilage probably had something to do with Silva's performance in which he still chocked Sonnen out, showing the guy can win a fight off his back, something none of GSP's opponents can do.

Again, Silva officially has one win off of his back. And Chael Sonnen isn't exactly the hardest guy to submit in MMA. 8 of his 11 loses are submissions, most of them from someone's guard.

Again, Silva officially has one win off of his back. And Chael Sonnen isn't exactly the hardest guy to submit in MMA. 8 of his 11 loses are submissions, most of them from someone's guard.

Ok, let's try this again.

silvaelbows.gif

AndersonSubmitsChaelSonnen.gif

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 10:18 AM ----------

Forrest? Again, at the time he was a one trick pony, standing there like a punching bag getting picked apart by a faster, more precise striker. That's not an outstanding feat of fighting to pull that off, Forrest is notorious for getting beat up. Silva hasn't fought a legit 205lb guy...

:ols:

knocking out a former champ who can fight at heavyweight in under 4 mins is definitely not much of a feat. :ols:

Excuse me. He has a whopping two official wins off of his back.

That's twice as many! :ols:

Seriously though, that is pretty impressive. How many other elite strikers have that on their resume? The point is, he has proven he can win off his back. With his length he can really give GSP problems on the ground.

On another note, I really hope Sonnen decides to go after GSP. There is a lot of material for him to come up with some funny ****.

GSP is an amazing game-planner and a great physical specimen but he takes 5 rounds to win fights and refuses to take any risks at all.

Silva destroys virtually all comers with almost zero effort. Other than Sonnen (on roids), the only fighters that get out of the first 2 rounds against Silva are guys that won't even come close to pressing the action against him.

Ok, let's try this again.

silvaelbows.gif

AndersonSubmitsChaelSonnen.gif

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 10:18 AM ----------

:ols:

knocking out a former champ who can fight at heavyweight in under 4 mins is definitely not much of a feat. :ols:

Come on, I love Forrest but he wasn't even considered a top LHW at the time. AND, when he was champion, he was fighting guys that would stand there and throw haymakers with him, that's not an elite or even legit contender at 205 at the time of their fight. You're giving Forrest WAY too much credit in order to support your assertion that Silva's jump to 205 was such an amazing feat.

Honestly, GSP could probably beat Forrest @ 205 lol. As slow and predictable as he is, you honestly think it was an amazing feat? Let Silva go in there and beat someone like Rashad and I'll give him his props, but not Forrest and Irvin.

When Forest is on he's able to hold his own against anyone (see Rua and Rampage). When he's off his game he's absolutely terrible (see Silva, Evans, and Jardine). You never know what you are going to get with him.

Come on, I love Forrest but he wasn't even considered a top LHW at the time. AND, when he was champion, he was fighting guys that would stand there and throw haymakers with him, that's not an elite or even legit contender at 205 at the time of their fight. You're giving Forrest WAY too much credit in order to support your assertion that Silva's jump to 205 was such an amazing feat.

Honestly, GSP could probably beat Forrest @ 205 lol. As slow and predictable as he is, you honestly think it was an amazing feat? Let Silva go in there and beat someone like Rashad and I'll give him his props, but not Forrest and Irvin.

I don't like Forrest, but he was top 10 and coming off losing a title fight. He was absolutely considered a top LHW at the time

When Forest is on he's able to hold his own against anyone (see Rua and Rampage). When he's off his game he's absolutely terrible (see Silva, Evans, and Jardine). You never know what you are going to get with him.

I actually think he was on against Rashad, he won the first 2 rounds comfortably in that fight. he just didn't react well once Rashad finally got him down

Edited by StillUnknown

Ok, so Forrest was a top HW at the time, look at the LHW's at the time, that's all I'm saying. Not to mention he couldn't even beat Tito after Rashad beat him up. You can't tell me you honestly think Forrest was on his game in that fight, or the next fight or even looked that great against Rich Franklin.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

Edited by #98QBKiller

Ok, so Forrest was a top HW at the time, look at the LHW's at the time, that's all I'm saying. Not to mention he couldn't even beat Tito after Rashad beat him up. You can't tell me you honestly think Forrest was on his game in that fight, or the next fight or even looked that great against Rich Franklin.

Forrest never looks good fighting, even win he wins :ols:. You'll never see him pull off some intricate technique or break new ground in the octagon, he's a lunchpail fighter that outworks everybody. He may never look particularly impressive, yet he's found a way to beat some pretty damn good fighters.

I'm not remotely a fan of his, but I won't penalize him because he gets the most out of his limited abilities

Forrest never looks good fighting, even win he wins :ols:. You'll never see him pull off some intricate technique or break new ground in the octagon, he's a lunchpail fighter that outworks everybody. He may never look particularly impressive, yet he's found a way to beat some pretty damn good fighters.

I'm not remotely a fan of his, but I won't penalize him because he gets the most out of his limited abilities

I'm a fan of Forrest, I love his blue collar approach and he's a likable guy. However, the only thing he's ever wowe'd my with is toughness, but he's gotten pretty boring and IMO he can't hang with the newer, faster, well rounded MMA figthers. Forrest is a brawler and when matched up with a multi-dimensonal fighter he doesn't stand a chance.

I just don't think Silva beating him is a true testament of his abilities, I honestly think him beating Dan Henderson the way he did is more of a testament than beating Forrest. At least Hendo brings more to the table then just standing there getting punched in the head.

Edited by ZoEd

So Anderson Silva is 2-0 against the weight division above his regular division, and GSP is 0-0 with a "Umm guys, I'm not really sure cause uh ya know I would have to prepare and change for dat transition in my career and life, ya know"

Come on. I don't care who Silva beat at 205, the fact is, he went up in weight, and Forrest is a guy who probably walks around like a HW by the time the fight starts and he was absolutely clowned. Forrest was specifically picked as an opponent for Silva cause Dana wanted to see Silva pressured into a fight, and Silva just whooped him and made him look like a goof. He didn't grind out a 5 round decision.

You know why I question the 170lbs division caliber of opponents? What has any of them done since losing to GSP? Have any of them even looked like they got remotely better since GSP steamrolled them? Nope.

Nick Diaz is there, and I suppose if Rumble Johnson won another fight, you could throw 20million dollars of hype behind him to make it appear to the casual fans like he is a valid opponent, but he isn't. The Caliber at 170lbs is just not there right now for GSP. He can continue to take fights with inferior opponents and ride out his career with a nice fat win streak, or he can actually try and go challenge himself elsewhere with a higher caliber of opponent.

The ball is in his court.

My opinion on Silva vs. GSP has come full circle. Did not want, did want, did not want. I tried rationalizing it from a standpoint away from the size difference, but in the end I can't ignore it. GSP (somehow) having Silva's back would look like a jockey riding a horse (of course no offense to Anderson...:paranoid:) It's just too much for me to imagine GSP controlling the fight. Silva would definitely be able to hurt him standing, and GSP would be too small to hold him down.

GSP knows this. No shame, he's out-genetic'd in this fight. Even Jake La Motta had the awareness to realize his small hands couldn't hurt Joe Lewis. It's a fight GSP has to transform his body for (and he already carries around a ton of lean muscle for such a marathon fighter). He knows he'll have to go in there like Mr. Olympia to control Silva on the ground. That's why he keeps eluding to the fact that it would be a career-changing decision, he'd have to transform himself. That takes time, muscle doesn't build as fast as most people think, and how much more muscle would his frame be able support without him losing his speed, dexterity and endurance?

I'd like to see Diaz vs. GSP and Anderson vs. Shogun. Make it happen! Why not?!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Despite his status as a contender in Strikeforce's middleweight division and his fan recognition courtesy a hosting gig on MTV's Bully Beatdown, newly-signed UFC fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller couldn't land a fight while under contract with Strikeforce to save his life.

The promotion was even unable/unwilling to capitalize on "Mayhem's" high-profile beef with welterweight champ Nick Diaz, which, at the time, was the most compelling bout they could have put together. UFC president Dana White revealed after picking Miller back up -- he fought once before in the octagon, losing a unanimous decision to Georges St. Pierre back in 2005 -- that the colorful fighter had been banned from CBS/Showtime for his role in the infamous Strikeforce: Nashville brawl, which was incidentally the source of his and Diaz's conflict.

In a recent interview with MMAFighting.com, Miller discussed how he was kept in the dark about why he was forced into inaction for so long and offered his former employers some pointed criticism for how they handled the situation.

"I asked, and guess what? Nobody would tell me," Miller said of his long layoff. "This is a political environment. Nobody's going to tell you. They're just going to be cowards about it. That's the way of the world. Nobody's going to tell the crazy ultimate fighter guy to his face, 'Hey, screw you.' They're not going to do that."

Miller explained that he was never told why he wasn't being offered any fights, that the Strikeforce brass simply ignored his requests to get back in the cage until his contract had run out.

"Up until the last minute –- up until it was apparent that they had no intention of fulfilling the contract –- I was like, hey, I'm ready to fight. Let's fight," Miller said. "At the last moment, it looks as if, okay, they can't fulfill the contract. Now I fight in the UFC. ...I have no ill will towards anyone. If that's how they saw it, then that's how they saw it. If that's the case that I was really banned [from Showtime], then hey, it's not the first place I've been 86'd from."

Though he is excited to be back in the UFC fold, Miller laments the fact that he was only allowed to fight twice in 2010, with his last appearance coming in September.

"Here I've been sitting on the bench. I've been training. I've been working hard and improving, but do you guys think I get some sort of severance package? Do you think I have Bully Beatdown billions? I don't, trust me," he said. "I sat around and wasted a good chunk of my career that I could have been making income and capitalizing on the fact that my body is great and I know how to fight."

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2011/0503/539306/jason-mayhem-miller/

According to sherdog Jeff Lacy just confirmed to fight Nick Diaz in the fall. If true than a Diaz vs GSP fight is not happening anytime soon.

If this is true, Diaz is gonna jiu jitsu the **** out of him. 1st round sub.

If this is true, Diaz is gonna jiu jitsu the **** out of him. 1st round sub.

It's for a boxing match. Which means that Nick is going to get ktfo'd.

But I think he'll take the GSP fight over the boxing match. It's a more high-profile fight in a sport that he's much better at.

Edited by #98QBKiller

It's for a boxing match. Which means that Nick is going to get ktfo'd.

But I think he'll take the GSP fight over the boxing match. It's a more high-profile fight in a sport that he's much better at.

Oh gotcha, that makes so much more sense.