Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Maiquel Falcao made his UFC debut with a win over previously undefeated Gerald Harris and was set to fight Tom Lawlor at UFC Rio, but he’s no longer a UFC fighter anymore. According to his manager Marcelo Brigadeiro, who sent an open letter to TATAME.com minutes ago, the promotion decided to end his contract due to some legal problems, when he got in a fight at his hometown, in 2002.

http://www.tatame.com/2011/05/10/Breaking--Maiquel-Falcao-cut-by-the-UFC

dude has some issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE1-r0fHv8Q

The outcome of a fight between Silva and GSP is up for debate. The fact of the matter is that there is a very real chance Anderson could figuratively decapitate GSP. If there is any fear we know GSP has, it's that he'll do anything it takes to avoid another Matt Serra 1. That seems to include abandoning a weight class he is mega-suited towards. Let's face it, Anderson is a knockout artist with power, speed and reach that surpasses anyone GSP has fought by a mile. Sure, GSP could win, but if Anderson touches his little head it's going to pour candy.

I agree with this completely

part of me wants to see the fight simply to see how each would react to the other. They are 2 of three best fight minds in the game right now (the other being Bones). They each represent a threat to others primary weakness, I would love to see how each prepares for other.

Edited by StillUnknown

This is probably the right thread to ask this. I was watching a goofy early-90's movie called "Only the Strong" yesterday; many of you have probably seen it so I won't go into plot details. Point is, much of the fighting centers around capoeira.

Does anyone actually take this seriously as a form of martial arts or defense? I say no for a few reasons. For one, it looks more like a dance than a fighting style, and while I'm aware that's part of the point, it seems like it's application in real world situations would be limited at best. Two, I remember early UFC's, before everyone was a well-rounded MMA fighter, and usually had only one style. There were some capoeira guys in the early UFC's, and they all lost. Usually quickly. Third, I remember a few kids in my high school who were into it, dancing and putting on shows at lunch, etc. One of them ran afoul of one of the school bullies....you guessed it, bully kicked his ass.

It just seems so useless, lot of wasted motion, almost every manuever looks to be complicated (roundhouse kicks, leg sweeps) and requires more setup than traditional front kicks and punches.

This is probably the right thread to ask this. I was watching a goofy early-90's movie called "Only the Strong" yesterday; many of you have probably seen it so I won't go into plot details. Point is, much of the fighting centers around capoeira.

Does anyone actually take this seriously as a form of martial arts or defense? I say no for a few reasons. For one, it looks more like a dance than a fighting style, and while I'm aware that's part of the point, it seems like it's application in real world situations would be limited at best. Two, I remember early UFC's, before everyone was a well-rounded MMA fighter, and usually had only one style. There were some capoeira guys in the early UFC's, and they all lost. Usually quickly. Third, I remember a few kids in my high school who were into it, dancing and putting on shows at lunch, etc. One of them ran afoul of one of the school bullies....you guessed it, bully kicked his ass.

It just seems so useless, lot of wasted motion, almost every manuever looks to be complicated (roundhouse kicks, leg sweeps) and requires more setup than traditional front kicks and punches.

Don't know much about Capoeira, but this is a famous knockout among MMA fans...

l6oiADjOdFg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Capoeira, IMO isn't usually practical in any sense for MMA or self-defense. It's technically a martial art but the "art" part is more emphasized. I get the impression that it's more along the lines of Tai Chi, where it promotes good health and a sense of well being through art but isn't really practical in a real life fight situation.

I think it was Joe Rogan who had a quote along the lines of: "We've learned more in the last (20?) years than we did in the previous (100?) what works in a real fight situation." That quote is extremely paraphrased but there's a lot of truth to it.

A lot of the traditional martial arts were never tested in real life fight situations like they have been since the late 80s/early 90s in MMA events and NHB/Vale Tudo competitions. So all of the wacky katas and "secret ninja death grips" that were popular for so many years turned out to not work so well against combat sports and other martial arts that had been tested in live competition (boxing/kickboxing/wrestling/judo/bjj/some karates/TKD/etc.)

All of that being said, I'm pretty sure here's a video of a smaller MMA event where a guy KOs someone with a Capoeira move:

So, in short, you can never really completely discount an entire martial art because they all pretty much have at least some moves that can be effective, but there are some martial arts/combat sports that are staples of MMA and self defense because they work the majority of the time.

Hope this makes sense.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 02:10 PM ----------

Lol, beat me to the vid

I believe it was formed as a way to hide the fact that they were training a martial art by disguising it as dancing. Don't remember whre I heard taht or how accurate it is though.

Pettis has some Capoeira training, doesn't he? I think there is another fighter that has it is his arsenal as well.

I believe it was formed as a way to hide the fact that they were training a martial art by disguising it as dancing. Don't remember whre I heard taht or how accurate it is though.

Pettis has some Capoeira training, doesn't he? I think there is another fighter that has it is his arsenal as well.

I've seen vids of Anderson & JDS training it a little

I think Anderson said it helps with his defensive reflexes and balance

http://www.5thround.com/75713/tito-ortiz-and-matt-mitrione-involved-in-altercation-at-ufc-fighter-summit-video/

Tito Ortiz and Matt Mitrione Involved in Altercation at UFC Fighter Summit (Video)

This week in Las Vegas, Zuffa, LLC gathered the world’s greatest fighters under one roof to conduct their annual Fighter Summit. Apparently, weight classes don’t apply when mixed martial artists collide in classrooms.

Shortly after one of Wednesday’s session wrapped, former UFC light heavyweight champ Tito Ortiz and heavyweight Matt Mitrione were involved in a minor altercation. Thankfully for fight fans, Roy Nelson was on hand to capture the footage (That is indeed “Big Country’s” mullet in the picture above, courtesy of Chad Mendes).

As Strikeforce commentator Gus Johnson once unforgettably said, “Sometimes these things happen in MMA, a lot of testosterone in the [hotel].”

“That’s @titoortiz sitting front row. I haven’t had the opportunity to meet him yet!” Mitrione tweeted earlier in the day.

Their beef started when Mitrione appeared on ‘The MMA Hour’ in March. “Meathead” suggested Ortiz would likely pull out of his UFC 132 scrap against Ryan Bader and have girlfriend Jenna Jameson step in for him.

“We all know that Tito is going to give some type of excuse and back out, so Jenna is gonna have to step in and fight Bader for Tito’s honor,” Mitrione stated. “But Bader, be really carefully because this is a trap fight. We all know that she’s awesome off her back and that she’s got phenomenal top control, but remember that she doesn’t choke easily.”

Jameson has a set of twin boys with Ortiz. She retired from the adult entertainment industry in 2008.

PCS pointed this out in the Owned thread:

Posts per page,default whatever. You all are looking at a number that isn't really important. The important things here,are the ones that aren't default. They are what they are. 15,009 replies,(before I entered this response),and 1,685,166 views. Whoa. Random thought thread second,(I'm just about ready to not even count that one),and the MMA thread 3rd in views,(though both have more replies). Fairly amazing considering how many times it's been that >.< close to being closed forever as many times as it has. Hang your hat on that and keep having fun.

:applause::refill:

UFC seems to be hitting that yearly injury bug

JDS is gonna wreck Carwin.

I hope so.

I have never liked Carwin for some reason

Carwin's best hope is to pin JDS against the cage and do some damage with dirty boxing.

Edited by StillUnknown

Lesnar is out of UFC 131 (per UFC Facebook page) because his diverticulitis has flared up. :mad:

Carwin is stepping in. :)

I still actually like this matchup.

Carwin isn't super technical but if he touches JDS's chin, it's over.

Sucks about Lesnar, hope he recovers fully.

I still actually like this matchup.

Carwin isn't super technical but if he touches JDS's chin, it's over.

Sucks about Lesnar, hope he recovers fully.

Not too sure about that. Carwin is a heavy heavy puncher but JDS took a couple of shot by Nelson and walked through it. I see JDS being to skilled for Carwin. Too fast too technical plus he has power of his own and I don't think Carwin has the most granite of chins. I wonder if Carwin will try to grapple with JDS. My prediction JDS connects first and puts Carwin out.

Damn that sucks about Brock. It's kind of bothering me how the next three PPV's lost main events (Edgar/Maynard, Brock, and Jon Jones), but whatever, injuries happen. JDS will either get knocked out or he will win by decision imo. Is this fight for the number 1 contender still? I was under the impression the Brock/JDS fight was going to be for Cain.

The next "true" main event is Silva/Okami at 134, unless the Aldo/Chad Mendes fight happens on 133.

Edited by styx491

Not too sure about that. Carwin is a heavy heavy puncher but JDS took a couple of shot by Nelson and walked through it. I see JDS being to skilled for Carwin. Too fast too technical plus he has power of his own and I don't think Carwin has the most granite of chins. I wonder if Carwin will try to grapple with JDS. My prediction JDS connects first and puts Carwin out.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he took many huge shots from Nelson, especially since he blew out his knee in the first. He ate some shots, but they were not Roy's best and probably not as stiff as Carwin's canned ham fists can deliver. In that Nelson-JDS fight, I was more concerned with how many times that Nelson took JDS' best shots and refused to be finished. I know that Nelson has a hell of a chin, but with as many times that Junior blasted him, I don't remember him ever really being close to finishing it.

Damn that sucks about Brock. It's kind of bothering me how the next three PPV's lost main events (Edgar/Maynard, Brock, and Jon Jones), but whatever, injuries happen. JDS will either get knocked out or he will win by decision imo. Is this fight for the number 1 contender still? I was under the impression the Brock/JDS fight was going to be for Cain.

The next "true" main event is Silva/Okami at 134, unless the Aldo/Chad Mendes fight happens on 133.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that this is for a shot at Cain.

I'm still not even that excited about Silva/Okami because it probably won't be much of a challenge. Okami will probably get KO'd in the first round.

I thought he was pretty close to finish in the first, I was amazed Nelson was able to survive. I don't think Carwin has the chin of Nelson, hell I don't even think he has the cardio of Nelson.

Nelson has what, 60% of Carwin's punching power? Carwin has never seen round 3 in his MMA career. He's seen round 2 exactly once, and that was in his recent loss. Consider that he knocked our Mir and Gonzaga in round one. If JDS is smart he'll out point Carwin in round one and most of two, then go for the kill. Carwin has no cardio but he has the power to knock any fighter on the planet out if they are dumb enough to stand in front of him in the first round.

Edited by Destino

Nelson has what, 60% of Carwin's punching power? Carwin has never seen round 3 in his MMA career. He's seen round 2 exactly once, and that was in his recent loss. Consider that he knocked our Mir and Gonzaga in round one. If JDS is smart he'll out point Carwin in round one and most of two, then go for the kill. Carwin has no cardio but he has the power to knock any fighter on the planet out if they are dumb enough to stand in front of him in the first round.

I believe JDS is skilled enough to finish Carwin within a round without being touched. I believe its a horrible match up. JDS does everything Carwin does but better excluding ground game. JDS is unknown on the ground. Should be an exciting fight.