Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Kinda makes you wonder why more fighters don't utilize elbows from the bottom. Ben Henderson, Florian, and a couple others use them regularly from the bottom, but you would think it would be more widespread than that. If nothing else, it gives the impression to the judges that you're doing something off your back instead of just allowing your opponent to stay on top.

There are a few strikes that don't seem as wide spread as they should be. I want to see how the front kick to the face spreads now that two prominent fighters have been sent to wonderland with it. It's an ideal strike against the typical mma defensive stance that just never received any love.

Plus we've all seen the effectiveness of adding a leg kick to at the end of 1 2 punching combo. Yet very few fighter use it consistently. Aldo uses this like he's got it trade marked.

Edited by Destino

Lutter said in an interview after the fight, he tapped due to the choke

Either way I was right. Another submission from his back for Spider :pfft:

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

Last night confirmed what I was saying a month or so ago: Machida is the only guy I see giving Bones any trouble at this point. What has to happen for him to get a title shot? Rashad lose? No way Davis deserves one after one good win. Maybe Machida gets the winner of Rampage-Hamill? I don't want to see Machida-Shogun III at this point. I guess if Forrest wins Machida-Forrest could make sense.

Man, lot of hate on here for GSP. Personally, I still have him above Silva in the P4P category. I don't care how boring you think his fights are and upset that he doesn't finish, but Silva went several straight fights with no finishes as well. For the record, since the Serra fight GSP has never been in trouble, Silva can't say that and IMO has fought more mediocre matchups. GSP although not the most exciting is hands down the most well rounded, best prepared and arguably one of the most pysically gifted fighters in the game.

So, it was obvious to me GSP was trying to finish the fight, his overhand right wobbled Shields several times. Shields' chin is sick though, honestly if he can take a right to the chin from Dan Henderson, how do you expect GSP to put him to sleep. Sorry, you will never get GSP to put himself in harms way. He had way too much respect for Shields' ground game to take the fight to the ground. Personally, I think he could have won the fight if he would have but whatever.

I rewatched the supposed punch that hurt GSP's eye and actually saw the left jab from Shields looked to be the culprit. If you watched in slow mo you've actually see Sheilds' hand open and his pinky dragged across GSP's eye and the right followed. Once the eye was scratched you can imagine how difficult it is to fight with one eye. I think you can attribute Shields' striking success to the scratched eye moreso than GSP being a bad fighter and making the leap that SIlva would automatically dominate is ridiculouse. Penn, awesome striker and GSP owned him.

Edited by ZoEd

SU, thanks for the gif of the Machida kick.

Loved all the fights but the GSP fight. I give props to GSP and his team for being able to correctly gameplan his fights, but they always tend to be boring and he never even attempts to finish his opponent anymore. I loved that flying triangle, the bar I was at went nuts when Garza did that.

Edited by Opiate-Zeo

GSP might not want to stand with Silva, but that isn't just up to GSP. I think Silva keeps the fight standing enough to get the KO. GSP does not take punches well, hard to imagine him taking a knee through the nose well either.

GSP's a better striker than Sonnen and Sonnen was able to stand long enough to take Silva down through all five rounds. Obviously, if Silva connects it's lights out for GSP, but I don't think he can stop GSP's shot either. Will be interesting. They just need to throw some money to both of them and cancel the Okami fight.

GSP's a better striker than Sonnen and Sonnen was able to stand long enough to take Silva down through all five rounds. Obviously, if Silva connects it's lights out for GSP, but I don't think he can stop GSP's shot either. Will be interesting. They just need to throw some money to both of them and cancel the Okami fight.

from all the interviews I've read and heard, i'm sure all it takes at this point is GSP agreeing to the fight. Anderson definitely wants it, GSP has been kinda hesitant

You are either underestimating Sonnen's size, strength, and/or wrestling, or overestimating GSP's. Sonnen's success on the feet vs. Anderson was weird. I'm not sure if it was because how unorthodox it was or if Silva just didn't respect it, but I don't see GSP being able to land the same shots, and if he does they won't be as effective as GSP doesn't have much power. Besides natural weight GSP will also be giving up 4 inches in height.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 05:26 PM ----------

from all the interviews I've read and heard, i'm sure all it takes at this point is GSP agreeing to the fight. Anderson definitely wants it, GSP has been kinda hesitant

I think if they offered him the fight at 178, he'd take it. That is probably the best situation for everyone assuming that wouldn't be a killer weight cut for Silva. If it would be then I don't want to see it.

The problem with GSP moving up is that Silva is 6'2 and has an easy time fighting at 205 (which IMO is the weight class his frame is best suited for). I would be surprised if Silva doesn't walk around at 215. GSP is a filled out 5'10 that probably walks around at 190ish. The size difference between them is a lot bigger than 170-185 would suggest.

If you want super fights you should look for the following:

- Silva v Jon Jones. Also Silva v Evans and Silva v Healthy Rua.

- Aldo v BJ Penn. Also Aldo v Edgar/Maynard. Aldo is 5'7 while Edgar is 5'6 and Maynard is 5'8. They aren't too far off each other is frame or build.

I'd like to see Ben Henderson fight Maynard. They would match up well.

Edited by Destino

You are either underestimating Sonnen's size, strength, and/or wrestling, or overestimating GSP's. Sonnen's success on the feet vs. Anderson was weird. I'm not sure if it was because how unorthodox it was or if Silva just didn't respect it, but I don't see GSP being able to land the same shots, and if he does they won't be as effective as GSP doesn't have much power. Besides natural weight GSP will also be giving up 4 inches in height.

GSP's takedowns are just as good as Sonnen and GSP is a huge, strong WW with better striking. I think the size advantage is overblown. When I mentioned GSP's shots earlier I was talking about his takedowns, not his striking.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 09:53 PM ----------

All of the UFC Champs together:

141e46a6.jpg

GSP's takedowns are just as good as Sonnen and GSP is a huge, strong WW with better striking. I think the size advantage is overblown. When I mentioned GSP's shots earlier I was talking about his takedowns, not his striking.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 09:53 PM ----------

All of the UFC Champs together:

141e46a6.jpg

I knew what you were talking about. by "shot", and I disagree. After you factor in size I think Sonnoen has a better shot than GSP.

Is that pic suppose to show that the size difference isn't that big? That's not how I see it....

GSP might walk around hpretty heavy, but he has admitted he does a lot of body building to look good. He has a lot of "show muscle" and therefor "show weight"

Until Anderson Silva loses, I don't see how he can't be considered #1 P4P right now considering he is the champ at 185 lb, and basically CLOWNED the two opponents he has faced at 205lbs, including one that was the champion. GSP did clown BJ Penn in their rematch but there is a huge difference in fighting someone coming up in weight, and you, yourself going up in weight.

Since Sonnen has been clowing GSP on twitter lately, "before UFC 129 he called St Pierre, "Grease SP" maybe Dana could set up a GSP vs. Sonnen fight and the winner gets Silva. I still say GSP wants no part of Silva for a couple of reasons. Not only do I think that he thinks he has a real shot of losing, but I also feel at this stage in his career he is a business-minded individual. He looks at the 170lb division and sees no real threat, and feels safe building his legacy as champ, where as moving up, he sees guys who are bigger and stronger at the natural weight, one guy in Sonnen who can watch his wrestling, and the other in Silva who could knock him out before he ever gets a hand on him, and sees little benefit in the move.

For those that are saying "GSP is a big WW so fighting at 185 is no big deal" do realize that fighters usually put on 10-15 lbs between weigh-ins and the fight, so while GSP might actually be 180/185lbs at bell time, a guy like Silva is probably hovering just above 200lbs at the same time.

Never underestimate, someone's weight gain for a fight with true-walk around weight. It isn't the same thing and it definitely effects the fighter. BJ Penn's fighter against GSP and then next fight against FLorian are a good example of this. GSP was able to out-muscle and bully Penn because even though Penn moved up in weight, that weight is not where his natural strength and speed are. Every time he and GSP were in the clinch, Penn was helpless to stop the take down. Then a few months later he goes back down to his natural weight, and fights Florian, who was watching the film on Penn. He tried the GSP tactic, he would tie up Penn against the cage the same way GSP did, except at 155, where Penn is natural, he easily fought off Florian. Now I understand some of this is wrestling technique itself, but it also has to do with the difference in strength when you simply put on "muscle mass" in order to be bigger. It doesn't necessarily translate into strength.

We have already heard Silva say he would fight GSP, but there has been no indication from GSP he is interested, quite the opposite actually as he almost seemed to go out of his way post-fight the other night to say "Umm, naw, but thanks for asking"

The problem with UFC's 170lb division right now is that there are no contenders that are willing to push the fight against GSP. They all seem willing to get into the octagon and just go with the flow and sit back and see what GSP does, and then they just try to work with it. Why on earth Jake Shields thought he could ever win a jabbing match with GSP is beyond me. Just make GSP vs. Nick Diaz. GSP probably still wins, but because Nick Diaz pressures and presses the fight always moving forward, at least it could be over in 2-3 rounds instead of having to endure 2 guys fighting at each other's range for five rounds.

Edited by NoCalMike

Mike, right here in this thread it was posted GSP would walk in the ring at 192 the night of the fight. That's not garbage weight, the dude has like 5% body fat. Of course Silva probably walks in at just over 200 and ten pounds is a lot of weight in the fight game, but Silva isn't a strong 185lb fighter, that's why he was manhandled by Sonnen. Silva's strength is is long limbs and speed, neutralize that and you neutralize Silva. GSP is much faster than Sonnen and prepares for a fight probably better than any fighter in the game. I honestly don't understand the hatred towards the guy, the way he has evolved as a fighter during his time in the UFC is mind boggling. He outwrestled Hughes, made the prodigy BJ Penn look like a punk, stuffed Koshcek's takedowns and worked him with his jab. The dude is so well rounded it's ridiculous. Show me where Silva has evolved?

Silva is such a great champion but he refused to go to ground with Maia, GSP does this with Shields and he's a punk? At least GSP carries himself with grace in the octagon, can Silva say the same?

As for going up in weight, the disadvantage will always be to the smaller guy, that's a no brainer. If I were GSP I'd be apprehensive about moving up in weight as well, he's only fought at 170, why not make both fighters uncomfortable, make them both suffer a little? That's why a catch weight fight is the only way to go IMO. Because the only one giving anything up at 185 is GSP, tell me how that makes sense.

Silva clowned two 205 opponents? Well, who the **** has Irvin fought to make him a legit 205lb figher? He had one great knockout in his career and is otherwise a nobody. Forrest? Again, at the time he was a one trick pony, standing there like a punching bag getting picked apart by a faster, more precise striker. That's not an outstanding feat of fighting to pull that off, Forrest is notorious for getting beat up. Silva hasn't fought a legit 205lb guy, so using that as a basis for his greatness is weak IMO. Throw GSP in there with Maia, or one of the other contendors that Silva has fought and see how GSP fairs, guarantee you he beats them. Does that make GSP the greatest?

Until Anderson Silva loses, I don't see how he can't be considered #1 P4P right now considering he is the champ at 185 lb, and basically CLOWNED the two opponents he has faced at 205lbs, including one that was the champion.

Totally agree with you.

Jack never had a chance IMO. GSP's human and knows Silva is no joke. Whatever anyone may feel about him, the guy just does not lose.

Is that pic suppose to show that the size difference isn't that big? That's not how I see it....

No that wasn't the point of the pic, I was just posting it. You can't really tell anything when they're all sitting down in suits...Dominick Cruz doesn't even look that much smaller than Jon Jones in that pic :ols:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on GSP. Just hope that Dana convinces him to take the fight, after Anderson KOs Okami again.

So is the front kick going to grow in MMA now? I think every fighter in the MMA has to be working on it and defending it now.

I think if anyone fights a Black House fighter they'd better be prepared to defend against it.

So is the front kick going to grow in MMA now? I think every fighter in the MMA has to be working on it and defending it now.

Jones came dangerously close to hitting Shogun with a good one in the 1st round of their fight. If I remember correctly, Jones' foot just barely grazed him at the end of the flurry.

UFC has some bad kickboxers though, you may see more front kicks to the body, instead of the head :ols:

Gotta love the Seagul hype train the Black House Camp created. Soares is a solid manager for growing his fighters brand in NA. What better storyline than to fabricate the emergence of the deadly Steven Seagul as a new secret weapon of Black House and his legendary secret training techniques and moves to top tier fighters like Silva and Machida.