Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Awesome video. I think it is all the Sonnen questions from the post fight presser

http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2945

My favorite part that I am surely about to butcher:

Sonnen talking about only caring about being a champion says something like, "I just want to be a champion. I'll go up to 205, or go on a diet and call out Jose Aldo if I have to" :lol:

A lot of good stuff in there. Really worth watching.

2h7gd2u.jpg

If Sonnen ends up riding out that last round I would have pointed to this right here as the key to the fight. Andersen was turning it on. He probably should have stood when he had the chance and let Sonnen get up, but he went in and tried to get on top.

That gif of Anderson getting rocked is just crazy to watch. It has the same effect as watching Fedor tap out to a triangle.

I jumped off of my couch last night when Sonnen hit him and made his knees buckle. I think Anderson just wasn't expecting Sonnen to come at him like that. I think he was anticipating Sonnen to shoot.

Not at all trying to say Anderson wanted to be in the position he was for almost the entire fight, however at the same time, true BJJ black belts, they train for those types of situations.

People can say Silva is weak on the ground, but this is the second time people thought he was in trouble and/or going to be finished on the ground, and he ended up getting a submission victory.

Props to Sonnen for bringing the fight and backing up his words, but to me it also must be said that Silva has shown he has a complete game. To be able to be wrestled to the ground and dominated for the entire fight, but not mentally give up and look for an opening the entire time.

Also, yeah it might be looked at as an excuse but he did seem to have a legit rib injury going into the fight, however, whatever, that is the name of the game. Comes with the territory.

As far as people saying, "Now I know GSP would murder Silva" I mean, we will see. I still say Silva beats him in his prime, however I am kind of questioning whether Silva's day at his elite level are over. I didn't realize he was 35 already, and at the age your speed and especially quickness can start to go. I think GSP has a quicker shoot than Sonnen, but Silva would be so much taller and such a reach advantage, I could see Silva working from beneath against GSP as well.

I think it makes that fight that much more interesting, but at the same time, after Sonnen's performance, and Vitor Belfort waiting in the wings, Silva has 2 very big reasons not to worry about GSP or Light-HW division anytime soon!

Aldo is pretty dominant over his weight class right now, possibly even more so than GSP. Basically making everyone else in that division look like punks. Hoping he moves up to 155 at some point. I don't see anyone in the WEC right now giving him a challenge. He's already dominated his main threats.

I definitely agree. If Aldo wants to move to 155, I'm pretty sure they'd move him over to the UFC, he's too exciting to not be put on big cards.

Honestly, I wanna see Morecraft more than Struve now. Morecraft owned Struve for the first round, totally destroyed his face, and Stefan got the good end of the stick in a heated exchange. That punch exchange could have gone either way with the connections the way they were going at it

Honestly, I wanna see Morecraft more than Struve now. Morecraft owned Struve for the first round, totally destroyed his face, and Stefan got the good end of the stick in a heated exchange. That punch exchange could have gone either way with the connections the way they were going at it

i gotta question Morecraft's power after that bout though. Nelson & JDS both dropped & finished Struve in short order

Not at all trying to say Anderson wanted to be in the position he was for almost the entire fight, however at the same time, true BJJ black belts, they train for those types of situations.

People can say Silva is weak on the ground, but this is the second time people thought he was in trouble and/or going to be finished on the ground, and he ended up getting a submission victory.

Props to Sonnen for bringing the fight and backing up his words, but to me it also must be said that Silva has shown he has a complete game. To be able to be wrestled to the ground and dominated for the entire fight, but not mentally give up and look for an opening the entire time.

Also, yeah it might be looked at as an excuse but he did seem to have a legit rib injury going into the fight, however, whatever, that is the name of the game. Comes with the territory.

As far as people saying, "Now I know GSP would murder Silva" I mean, we will see. I still say Silva beats him in his prime, however I am kind of questioning whether Silva's day at his elite level are over. I didn't realize he was 35 already, and at the age your speed and especially quickness can start to go. I think GSP has a quicker shoot than Sonnen, but Silva would be so much taller and such a reach advantage, I could see Silva working from beneath against GSP as well.

I think it makes that fight that much more interesting, but at the same time, after Sonnen's performance, and Vitor Belfort waiting in the wings, Silva has 2 very big reasons not to worry about GSP or Light-HW division anytime soon!

IMO it seemed Silva was real content to try and rep his Nog black belt. Although a lil tipsy i remember Silva having Sonnen with maybe a kimora and some kind of leg lock

Like SU said, I'm not sure GSP would have the size/strength to do what Sonnen did. Sonnen has fought at 205. He is a big dude. GSP would get some takedowns, but he wouldn't be able to hold Silva down the entire fight like he does his welterweight opponents or like Sonnen did last night. Silva would KO him.

Silva's comeback last night is one for the ages. The more time that passes the more impressive it will be. It blows away the Fedor ones.

Stuff of legends. After all the junk Chael talked its ironic he was sonned with a sub. Some thought Sonnen had won and Spider was done....C'mon

Pretty big move for the UFC. I bet they easily sell out shows in Rio.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20211/ufc-gearing-up-for-brazilian-expansion.mma

UFC gearing up for Brazilian expansion

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 09, 2010 at 8:45 am ET

Two of the UFC's five champions are Brazilian, and it soon could be five after Junior Dos Santos, who won a No. 1 contender's bout against Roy Nelson this past weekend at UFC 117, gets his shot at the heavyweight belt early next year.

But despite the Brazilians' success in the UFC, the organization hasn't hosted a show in their home country in nearly 12 years.

But according to UFC president Dana White, that soon could change.

"We're spending money in Brazil right now," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We're spending marketing money, PR money, and we've got people down there working for us."

White long has hinted at the possibility of returning to Brazil, which hosted UFC 17.5 in 1998 and marked the promotional debuts of Pedro Rizzo and a then-22-year-old Wanderlei Silva. In fact, of the 16 fighter slots on the card, seven went to Brazilians.

The country long has been a hotbed of MMA and has produced some of the sport's best ground fighters. And with nearly 200 million residents, it represents an area with growth potential. But White said it's not as easy as simply hosting a single show. Instead, the UFC wants to build a foundation in Brazil.

"You get into these countries, and you have to go in there and cultivate the market," White said. "Look at how long we've been in the U.K. and how much money and effort and energy we've put into there, and we're not on pay-per-view yet. It's driving us crazy, but people don't realize how much work we put into this thing – not only here in the U.S. and all the things we do here but all over the world. It's a big job."

Regardless of the workload, expect UFC officials to share some updates soon.

"We're on it," White said. "We're going to be announcing some stuff real soon. Very soon. Real fast – like in the next couple of weeks.

"We're getting there. We're knocking this stuff down a lot faster than I thought we would."

For the full upcoming UFC schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

GSP style would even be more dangerous than Sonnen because he's actually proficient in jiu-jitsu

the only question remains is if GSP would be physically strong enough to implement it. even if GSP took a year like he wants to put on the muscle to fight at 185, he'd still be at a considerable size disadvantage

Personally I think GSP is a far better wrestler than Sonnen and in fact one of the best that the UFC has ever seen. He's shown that he can out wrestler wrestlers and JJ fighters several times all while seemingly taking them down with ease (no small task). As far as size, he's definitely smaller to be sure but he always been known for being incredibly strong for his weight class and if guy like BJ Penn is willing to climb to fight him he should give it a go as well. He's only 2 inches shorter than Sonnen but has a 2 inch longer reach. When you're game is take down and wrestle, longer arms and a lower center of gravity can be used to your own advantage.

I'm not saying he could beat Silva, no fighter in or around his weight class can be said certainly able to beat the Spider... but I wouldn't be surprised if came as close as Sonnen did. Plus unlike Sonnen GSP can finish a fight on the ground in a lot of ways as he's shown in the past.

Oh come ****ing on! I have a feeling this beating will be on par with the one AS gave him. I'm just starting to feel bad for Forrest. He's too stupid to turn down a fight, and too stupid to learn how to react well when punched in the face (unless you consider throwing wild punches a quality reaction). I love Forrest as much as the next guy for his guts, but this will not end well. :(

Computer has been on the fritz since Sunday morning so I haven't been able to post anything to ES.

DAMN! Chael, WTF were you thinking? All you had to do was keep him close for two more minutes. No one would have thought you were a punk for getting on your bicycle the last two minutes. I mean, you whipped AS's ass for four straight rounds! Wow!

If anyone has demonstrated the gameplan for beating AS Chael did it Saturday night. Awesome fight, awesome card!

As for GSP, I think he's arguably the best MMA wrestler in the business. He's actually made MMA a science. I don't question his strength at all, I think he's a much stronger fighter that AS. I think what you have to question is his chin. Look at Chael's face after four rounds of completely controlling the fight. You have to wonder if GSP's chin holds up to that.

I agree that you would have to give GSP a serious nod at the #1 P4P fighter in the world right now. For now anyway.

As for GSP, I think he's arguably the best MMA wrestler in the business. He's actually made MMA a science. I don't question his strength at all, I think he's a much stronger fighter that AS. I think what you have to question is his chin. Look at Chael's face after four rounds of completely controlling the fight. You have to wonder if GSP's chin holds up to that.

I agree with this. GSP walks around at about 185. With enough time to add some decent muscle and strength, I don't think size is the issue against Anderson. I think it's more about his chin and willingness to stand.

The reason Sonnen was able to do what he did was because he stood with Anderson at the beginning of rounds and took it to him, allowing him to set up his shots. Everyone that's fought Anderson since Chris Leben has been apprehensive to come at him and the last thing he expected from Sonnen was for him to come straight in and throw combinations.

This will be GSP's problem. Ever since Matt Serra beat him down he's been shy about standing up with anyone. He's not going to want to come in at the beginning of each round and strike with Anderson to set up his takedowns but it's what he'll have to do to avoid losing a boring decision like so many others have against Anderson.

BTW, Sonnen hit Anderson more times in one fight than he's been hit in all 11 of his UFC fights. Obviously, mostly on the ground.

Sonnen hit him 289 times, while he was only hit 208 times in his previous UFC fights combined.

Inside the Numbers: We've now seen everything. Sonnen dominated the entire fight, landing a CompuStrike record 289 Total Strikes vs. Silva. 270 of those 289 strikes were on the ground, as just under 21 minutes of the fight was fought on the ground. Silva was hit with just 208 total strikes in his previous 11 UFC fights combined.
http://www.compustrike.com/stats.php?news=CompuStrike_Stats%3A_UFC_117&news_id=151&start=0&category_id=5&parent_id=5&arcyear=Y&arcmonth=M

Pretty interesting card at the Patriot Center on Sept. 10. But I dont know anyone that is going to spend $350 to see it...

From MMA junkie

Host of notables announced for Sept. 10 Shine Fights eight-man lightweight tourney

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm ET

In a throwback event reminiscent of MMA's early days, Shine Fights officials today announced the organization's Sept. 10 return and a single-night eight-man lightweight tournament.

The show, which airs on pay-per-view, takes place at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va.

Tournament participants include WEC vet Richard Crunkilton (16-3), undefeated Josh Shockley (6-0-1), UFC vet Drew Fickett (37-13), former Palace Fighting champion Carlo Prater (24-7-1), multi-promotion standout James Warfield (21-6), PRIDE/UFC vet Marcus Aurelio (20-8), Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Hector Munoz (9-3) and the infamous Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett (23-17-2).

Tickets range from $24 to $350 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster.com beginning this Saturday, Aug. 14, at 10 a.m. ET (7 a.m. PT). A 15 percent discount applies to seats purchased within the first 48 hours of the on-sale date.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20253/host-of-notables-announced-for-sept-10-shine-fights-eight-man-lightweight-tourney.mma

Edited by lovetoaster