Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

This might have already been known so forgive me - but as someone who is somewhat new to the sport it seems like Anderson Silva has a pretty good chin.

I've seen a lot of his fights and obviously I've never seen him take many punches before but I was pretty impressed that he didn't get KO'd by a few of those shots.

oddly enough, i like Chael Sonnen more now than at any other point of his career

i almost feel bad for the man

This might have already been known so forgive me - but as someone who is somewhat new to the sport it seems like Anderson Silva has a pretty good chin.

I've seen a lot of his fights and obviously I've never seen him take many punches before but I was pretty impressed that he didn't get KO'd by a few of those shots.

Anderson's chin is pretty good, anytime you can fight as many times as he has without being ko'd is a testament to his chin. Hell tonight was the first time I can remember him being dropped from a strike. Usually his defense is much tighter so his chin is rarely tested. I think he kept his hands low tonight to help defend the takedown and as a consequence it left him open to be hit.

Edited by StillUnknown

oddly enough, i like Chael Sonnen more now than at any other point of his career

i almost feel bad for the man

Same here. He was very annoying leading up to this fight. But he won a lot of people over with effort during this fight. Even the crowd started chanting his name instead of Silva's during the fight.

Reminded me of Rocky when he had to go fight the Russian in Russia.

lol

Edited by dfbovey

Anderson's chin is pretty good, anytime you can fight as many times as he has without being ko'd is a testament to his chin. Hell tonight was the first time I can remember him being dropped from a strike. Usually his defense is much tighter so his chin is rarely tested. I think he kept his hands low tonight to help defend the takedown and as a consequence it left him open to be hit.

How about that Stefan Struve ? I thought his head was going to explode from all the power shots he took. But he pulled off one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen.

Edited by Mickalino

Hey guys. We are normally really good at this, but I guess it needs restating:troll:

That simple.

I realized that half way through the first round. Sonnen landed some bombs on the ground in the first. Anderson also pulled a Leben there for a few shots and blocked some punches with his face early in the first. I am really impressed with Silva's chin and resilience.

Same here. He was very annoying leading up to this fight. But he won a lot of people over with effort during this fight. Even the crowd started chanting his name instead of Silva's during the fight.

Reminded me of Rocky when he had to go fight the Russian in Russia.

lol

You have to give him respect for actually backing up what he was saying. He put a ton of pressure on himself. He would have looked like a can if he got smoked in the first. He earned a lot of respect tonight.

The announcer pointed out that Silva actually went down because he slipped.

That was the 4th round. He got dropped in the first.

I think it's obvious now that GSP is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. Just a few months back it was a serious toss-up between him, Fedor, Anderson & BJ but in the last six months, BJ's lost, Fedor's lost, and Anderson has been raped.

I'd say that GSP is #1 P4P and maybe even Aldo is #2. But the plates are definitely shifting.

I think it's obvious now that GSP is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. Just a few months back it was a serious toss-up between him, Fedor, Anderson & BJ but in the last six months, BJ's lost, Fedor's lost, and Anderson has been raped.

I'd say that GSP is #1 P4P and maybe even Aldo is #2. But the plates are definitely shifting.

Aldo is pretty dominant over his weight class right now, possibly even more so than GSP. Basically making everyone else in that division look like punks. Hoping he moves up to 155 at some point. I don't see anyone in the WEC right now giving him a challenge. He's already dominated his main threats.

About a year ago my friend asked me who wins "the style" battle between GSP and Spider Silva and I said that if any style will ever beat Spider it's GSP's. Sonnen proved my point today. Spider is weakest on his back and he can be taken down. It should be obvious but strikers do not have an advantage over take down artists, it's rock against paper.

While some may not appreciate the ground game, those that know MMA realize that ground work is the reality of fighting. It's the ultimate equalizer because it takes a mans athleticism and accuracy off the table. Suddenly technical perfection, heart, and stamina mean more than all the speed in the world. A GSP take down will rob you of your speed and stamina. A Brock can will shatter your confidence and allow panic to seep in. The ground fighters in the UFC are hard to beat because once they have you, you're basically screwed. :)

Spider did prove one thing today, that no matter how long you pound on him and force him to work.... he only needs a tiny mistake to end a fight from any position. When opportunity knocks Spider is standing behind it with a handkerchief soaked in chloroform.

Edited by Destino

As much as I'm completely blown about the fight last night, it's all over the wires this morning. Great stuff for MMA altogether.

In fact, the entire card was stout from top to bottom. Yeah, Fitch pulled another Fitch, but whatever.

Not as good as UFC 116, IMO, but back-to-back stellar (numbered) cards for the UFC. This sport is gaining some scary momentum.

About a year ago my friend asked me who wins "the style" battle between GSP and Spider Silva and I said that if any style will ever beat Spider it's GSP's. Sonnen proved my point today. Spider is weakest on his back and he can be taken down. It should be obvious but strikers do not have an advantage over take down artists, it's rock against paper.

While some may not appreciate the ground game, those that know MMA realize that ground work is the reality of fighting. It's the ultimate equalizer because it takes a mans athleticism and accuracy off the table. Suddenly technical perfection, heart, and stamina mean more than all the speed in the world. A GSP take down will rob you of your speed and stamina. A Brock can will shatter your confidence and allow panic to seep in. The ground fighters in the UFC are hard to beat because once they have you, you're basically screwed. :)

Spider did prove one thing today, that no matter how long you pound on him and force him to work.... he only needs a tiny mistake to end a fight from any position. When opportunity knocks Spider is standing behind it with a handkerchief soaked in chloroform.

GSP style would even be more dangerous than Sonnen because he's actually proficient in jiu-jitsu

the only question remains is if GSP would be physically strong enough to implement it. even if GSP took a year like he wants to put on the muscle to fight at 185, he'd still be at a considerable size disadvantage

Silva nuthuggers on sherdog are trying to justify the ass beating he took for the first 24 minutes by saying it was all in his gameplan by playing possum and he could have subbed him at any time. Also saying he wanted to piss Sonnen off by making him believe he was winning then sub him at the last minute. :rotflmao:

Edited by Patrick86L

Silva nuthuggers on sherdog are trying to justify the ass beating he took for the first 24 minutes by saying it was all in his gameplan by playing possum and he could have subbed him at any time. Also saying he wanted to piss Sonnen off by making him believe he was winning then sub him at the last minute. :rotflmao:

nobody has ever accused sherdog posters of being able to make a logical argument

Good points.

Like SU said, I'm not sure GSP would have the size/strength to do what Sonnen did. Sonnen has fought at 205. He is a big dude. GSP would get some takedowns, but he wouldn't be able to hold Silva down the entire fight like he does his welterweight opponents or like Sonnen did last night. Silva would KO him.

On your point about wrestlers and ground game: that is emphasized even more by the cage vs. the ring. Huge difference there. I'd like to see what percentage of takedowns are from a cage clinch position vs. open mat.

Just saw on mmajunkie that Silva was hit more times by Sonnen then the rest of his UFC fights combined. Something like 286-211.

Silva's comeback last night is one for the ages. The more time that passes the more impressive it will be. It blows away the Fedor ones.