Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

For every lock there is a key, that's what I saw tonight.  One of the disadvantages judo seems to have in the versus wrestling is that wrestlers are better at aggressive, ground covering, explosive take downs.  Judo fighters tend to need to be in the clinch or catch a fighter coming towards them.  That's normally not a problem for Rousey because she's usually strong and aggressive enough to simply smash into her opponents.  She throws a punch and then she's on then and they can't escape.  Holly turned out to be stronger than people imagine her to be and in combination with her reach and footwork was able to fend Ronda off.  Ronda was desperate to get close, and once Holly saw that she wasn't going to change level and explode for a take down, she was able to confidently kick and step into punches.

That could be a legit hole in her game, the thing is no one has ever had the right combination of footwork, strength, and size to take advantage of it.  Great fight, Ronda got dominated.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's definitely going to be a re-match, too much money in it. It does seem like it'll be tough to Rousey to train to beat Holm, Holm defended against takedowns beautifully.

Either Rousey was out of shape or Holm really scrambled her head in the first few strikes. I'll say the latter because Holm looked great the whole time.

We're in uncharted territory with Women's UFC.

It has nothing to do with Ronda being out of shape. Holm

Is an world-class boxer. This wasn't an tomato can Ronda was fighting and I couldn't believe she kept standing with her. I think Ronda freaked out a bit when Holly got out of her grasp on the ground and then on top of it took her down.

What we saw was an real, all-around female MMA fighter. She dominated in every aspect. That was beautiful to watch. I'm so impressed by her not to mention Holly Holm exudes class. Ronda needed to be humbled.

I think I like Holly's crossover that broke Rousey's ankles more than the knockout lol

That's when I started to realize Rousey was probably going to lose. She whiffed by like 5 feet, fell down, damn that was humiliating. She was wobbled right around that time too. Head rolling around like she was about to get finished in Mortal Kombat. Same **** when she got stuck with the punch before the headkick. Got up with her head all wobbly. Might as well had a sign on her that said "kick me" at that point.

• Like 2

What we saw was an real, all-around female MMA fighter. She dominated in every aspect. That was beautiful to watch. I'm so impressed by her not to mention Holly Holm exudes class. Ronda needed to be humbled.

I don't think Ronda needed to be humbled, she was undefeated and left a trail of mangled arms in her wake. I'd might not be that humble either in that case.

I did tire of the attempts at making her into a God, and the lack of rationality when discussing the quality of her opposition

this is cool, her people in NM watching the finish: https://twitter.com/DuaneFinleyMMA/status/665771946932502528/video/1 

Edited by StillUnknown

Glad she lost. She didn't even have the decency to touch gloves.

And people "seriously" thought she could beat Mayweather?

Mayweather's a **** that spent a career strategically planning on when to fight better fighters.  He's a businessman first, a points fighter second, and a fighter dead last.  Truth be told there are probably a dozen female MMA fighters that could beat his ass, and they'd line of for a chance if he offered it to them.  The only part of his skillset that would translate is his ability to throw punches, because the rest of his game is negated by the fact that they can tackle him and he doesn't know how to defend against it. 

Plus I'm almost certain Mayweather is a cheat and when it all turns to tears like it did for Lance Armstrong, don't pretend you never could have seen it coming.

I don't think Ronda needed to be humbled, she was undefeated and left a trail of mangled arms in her wake. I'd might not be that humble either in that case.

I did tire of the attempts at making her into a God, and the lack of rationality when discussing the quality of her opposition

Even if she didn't need to be humbled, she certainly was tonight. She has one way to beat Holm and that's to get her down and arm bar her otherwise she'll never last with her.

Mayweather's a **** that spent a career strategically planning on when to fight better fighters. He's a businessman first, a points fighter second, and a fighter dead last. Truth be told there are probably a dozen female MMA fighters that could beat his ass, and they'd line of for a chance if he offered it to them. The only part of his skillset that would translate is his ability to throw punches, because the rest of his game is negated by the fact that they can tackle him and he doesn't know how to defend against it.

Plus I'm almost certain Mayweather is a cheat and when it all turns to tears like it did for Lance Armstrong, don't pretend you never could have seen it coming.

Mayweather would destroy every female MMA fighter on the planet. Please let's not try and take away from Money because he's a dick. He's one of the greatest boxers ever and I hate the guy.

Wonder how many teenage girls are heartbroken tonight. Lol. I used to call Pat Berry my fav fighter back in the day, then the Kongo fight happened. Its not like when ur team loses thats for sure.

And I dont think Pat received quiiiite as much hype as Ronda does. Lol

That could be a legit hole in her game, the thing is no one has ever had the right combination of footwork, strength, and size to take advantage of it.  Great fight, Ronda got dominated.

It is a gaping hole. If Tate had half a brain she could have done some of the same things in their 2nd fight. She hit Rousey with some clean shots when it was standing. But for some reason she tried to go for takedowns herself instead of trying to keep it standing.

Rousey has had nonexistant head movement in all of her fights. She just never fought someone who could exploit it.

Been terrible I'm happy she lost, the hype was annoying me. Someone give me a break down, did Ronda try to prove a point and strike with holm or did she fail with her takedowns?

they clinched a couple of times, Holm defended well. There was one exchange where Ronda was in position for an armbar, but Holm was pretty calm. The rest of the fight was Holm strategically hitting Ronda with shot after shot. Ronda landed one or two good blows, one that actually led to Holm taking her down for a few seconds.

Holm just worked a masterful gameplan and completely dominated the fight.

Been terrible I'm happy she lost, the hype was annoying me. Someone give me a break down, did Ronda try to prove a point and strike with holm or did she fail with her takedowns?

Probably a little bit of both. She did fail on at least one ground scramble that Holm escaped from. And there was an epic bullfighter ole that sent Rousey face first into the fence. But really everytime she tried to close the distance she got punched in the face. Holm picked her apart. It really wasn't close.

Edited by autoidiodyssey

Even if she didn't need to be humbled, she certainly was tonight. She has one way to beat Holm and that's to get her down and arm bar her otherwise she'll never last with her.

Yep. Unless that rematch is years away, her striking still wont be good enough. Maybe when the bell rings crawl to the middle of the ring like Jon Jones and Rashad Evans used to do sometimes. But then look to pull guard. Lol

It is a gaping hole. If Tate had half a brain she could have done some of the same things in their 2nd fight. She hit Rousey with some clean shots when it was standing. But for some reason she tried to go for takedowns herself instead of trying to keep it standing.

Rousey has had nonexistant head movement in all of her fights. She just never fought someone who could exploit it.

Tate doesn't have the athleticism or knowledge of footwork that has been ingrained in Holm. She also doesn't have the Greg Jackson in her corner.

I think Tate knows how to conceivably beat Rousey, but she lacks the physical traits necessary to carry it out

• Like 1

I haven't paid much attention to UFC in like 3 years (was a huge fan when I was younger) but the Twitter reaction shows how big a star Ronda is/was.

I didn't watch but I've seen enough clips to see that she got outclassed.

This Holly chick is a straight boxer?

boxer/kickboxer

she trains wrestling and jiu-jitsu, but mainly for defensive purposes

Wonder how many teenage girls are heartbroken tonight. Lol. I used to call Pat Berry my fav fighter back in the day, then the Kongo fight happened. Its not like when ur team loses thats for sure.

And I dont think Pat received quiiiite as much hype as Ronda does. Lol

I remember being devastated when Rampage KO'd Chuck. Watching your favorite fighter go to sleep is an odd experience.

• Like 1

Holly did really good in the clinch, hit her with stronger knees to the body and shrugged her off. Holly took RONDA down at one point. Ronda had one armbar attempt in the first round that was thwarted quickly. Ronda couldn't really get near Holly. Too much movement, a few oblique kicks ala Jon Jones, a very effective lead power straight punch that she kept rocking her with. Pretty much a domination.

Gotta go back and see if Ronda wobbled Holly with a left hook near the end of the first round. Even if she did, Holly clearly won that round.

Stupid people, I was doubtful she could beat Cyborg.

This is why they've hid her from cyborg. Ronda doesn't have the tremendous stand up they wanted you to think she did. It was completely disrespectful to an actual world-class boxer to hear the UFC talk about how amazing Ronda's boxing was.

Mayweather's a **** that spent a career strategically planning on when to fight better fighters.  He's a businessman first, a points fighter second, and a fighter dead last.  Truth be told there are probably a dozen female MMA fighters that could beat his ass, and they'd line of for a chance if he offered it to them.  The only part of his skillset that would translate is his ability to throw punches, because the rest of his game is negated by the fact that they can tackle him and he doesn't know how to defend against it. 

Oh, you're speaking to the choir. I agree 99% of what you said. But I don't think any of the women of MMA could beat a male boxer, particularly someone like Mayweather. You saw when Rousey literally fell to her knees when she missed Holm? I can see the samething happening if she were to fight Floyd.

Gotta go back and see if Ronda wobbled Holly with a left hook near the end of the first round. Even if she did, Holly clearly won that round.

Yep. With about 1 min or so left. Rogan and Goldy seemed to miss that, understably so. That was the only thing preventing Shang Tsung calling "Flawless Victory."

Edited by STBonecrusher21
  • Like 2

they clinched a couple of times, Holm defended well. There was one exchange where Ronda was in position for an armbar, but Holm was pretty calm. The rest of the fight was Holm strategically hitting Ronda with shot after shot. Ronda landed one or two good blows, one that actually led to Holm taking her down for a few seconds.

Holm just worked a masterful gameplan and completely dominated the fight.

How did Jo look? I need to watch the fight.