Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Irvin on Art Monk

DjTj

In a small newspaper in Louisiana today, Michael Irvin was interviewed about the Hall of Fame:

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/SPORTS/606110382/1006

The Monroe News Star

June 11, 2006

Talking with … Michael Irvin

By Paul J. Letlow

Q: Who is not in the Hall of Fame now who should be?

A: Art Monk comes to mind right away. At the time he retired, he was the all-time leader in the league in receptions.

There are no definite parameters for what it is. No certain number of catches or yardage.

The reality for me is this. If you caught a lot of passes and didn't win — Andre Reed caught 1,000 passes but didn't win a Super Bowl. OK.

But when you catch a lot of passes and win Super Bowls, you should be a lock. That's not saying I caught a lot of passes. I only caught 750. But Ark Monk is like nine-something.

Since there are usually 2 WR sets on the line... they should select 2 HOF WR's from each decade. Here's mine:

'80's - Jerry Rice & Art Monk

'90's - Michael Irvin & Chris Carter

You could debate that Rice is a WR of the 90s. That is where most of his stats came from, receptions from Young, not Montana.

You could debate that Rice is a WR of the 90s. That is where most of his stats came from, receptions from Young, not Montana.

True, but his avg.'s were higher in the '80s (by 3 yrds), won 2 SB's in the '80's, and was the MVP in SB XXIII. Maybe it should be:

Jerry Rice - All-Time great (pick your decade... or both)

'80's - Art Monk & Steve Largent (member HOF)

'90's - Michael Irvin & Cris Carter

Archived