Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor will not go jail--Accepts plea bargain

mhd24

He was at OTA's from what I have heard.

A much better deal, this new bargin, basically a slap on the wrist for being involved in a fight.

no jail time, probation, or conviction on his record.

bubba,

I've listened to all of the redskins.com audio shows and on 2 occasions Larry has said that he hasn't seen Sean Taylor there. I believe that it was either today's or yesterday's show that he stated that he hasn't seen Sean Taylor there this week but that he attended the offseason conditioning program. I don't think that Sean has attended any of the OTA sessions though, certainly not this week's sessions. This explains why though IMO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/31/AR2006053102245.html

click link for full article

Redskins' Taylor to Accept a Plea Deal

Felony Charges Will Be Dismissed

By Amy Shipley

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 1, 2006; Page E01

MIAMI, May 31 -- A plea deal has been reached in the felony assault case involving Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor that ensures that Taylor will not spend a day in jail and the felony charges against him will be dismissed, one of Taylor's attorneys said Wednesday.

Taylor, who faced up to 46 years in prison over charges related to a street fight last June, agreed to the plea terms Wednesday, according to attorney Larry R. Handfield, who joined Taylor's defense team in February.

The agreement, which will require the approval of Judge Leonard Glick, will be presented during a hearing Thursday morning in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building.

Handfield said Taylor, the Redskins' No. 1 draft pick in 2004, has agreed to plead no contest to one misdemeanor battery charge and one misdemeanor assault charge. The deal includes a withholding of a conviction, Handfield said, and the dismissal of three charges of felony assault with a deadly weapon that each carried a mandatory minimum three-year sentence.

Taylor also agreed to visit 10 schools in the inner city, providing $1,000 to each school, according to Handfield.

Taylor's trial had been scheduled for July 10, about three weeks before the start of Redskins' training camp. The deal, if accepted by the judge, would bring an end to a case that included seven delays and threatened to intersect with the upcoming season.

"Even though I was certain he would be vindicated at trial, this avoids the risk associated with any trial," Handfield said. "With the present charges, he was looking at 45 years in prison if he was found guilty. This way, he can be in training camp and put this behind him, close this chapter in his life."

Ed Griffith, a spokesman at the Miami-Dade State Attorney's office, declined to comment.

Taylor's defense team met with prosecutor Abe Laeser on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to Handfield and Taylor's lead attorney Richard Sharpstein. Sharpstein, an attorney with the Washington-based Jorden Burt firm, declined to comment for this story on whether a deal had been reached.

Laeser is a respected veteran of the state attorney's office who took over the case about six weeks ago after allegations surfaced that the previous prosecutor, Mike Grieco, was using it to promote his side career as a Miami Beach disc jockey. After Grieco stepped down from the case, Taylor's trial was postponed from early May to mid-July

Good deal. Hopefully Sean sees this as an opportunity to grow up and ditch his bad influence friends.

Agreed!

If you listen to the interviews with the young man, it's obvious that he's got a good head on his shoulders and I do believe that he was raised right.

I think that he's just got to realize that he's got a lot on the line and, as such, should pick his friends more carefully. Moss and Portis seem like great influences, hopefully he'll follow their lead.

He was at OTA's from what I have heard.

A much better deal, this new bargin, basically a slap on the wrist for being involved in a fight.

no jail time, probation, or conviction on his record.

A slap on the wrist? He has to go to ten schools and donate a total of $10,000. This is equivilant to slightly angered verbal disagreement.

I compare this to Michelle Rodriguez supposed to serve 60 days in jail and only serving 4 HOURS.

This is the best outcome for the Redskins because the Redskins name won't be dragged through a trial. The Redskins didn't need focus being shifted to an off the field issue. I hope Gibbs and Snyder sit down with Taylor and make sure his behavior is in check. This means no spitting and a complete dedication to the team. Taylor needs to treat this as a fresh start.

Since he isnt pleading guilty to felony charges to avoid jail time in this deal, the NFL cant suspend ST 4 games or so can they? That would def make this deal better because i think if he accepted the previous deal Taylor would have been suspended games by the NFL. I could be wrong though.

That's good news for him and our Redskins of course. I hope no one jumps on me for this, but I believe that Sean needs to be assigned a mentor by Joe Gibbs and the coaching staff. Reason: he is still a young player with alot of money, and younger guys with status and money don't always make the best decisions. If he was older he'd know you have to work hard to avoid situations like that. So Gibbs should should get someone who he (Sean Taylor) looks up to and have that person take him under their wing. Because if Sean gets into another situation it may not have the same result. The guy is an awesome talent for the Redskins, and you don't always get a second chance. I don't know Taylor's upbringing, but if he came from a situation where he had to face situations like he did in Miami...just because he's rich now does not take that attitude and life stlye away from you. Like Deion Sanders said he was baciscally a "thug", and when he got to the NFL making awesome money that did not change his attitude or life style he said "he was just a thug with money". So I'm thrilled this worked out for him and the team, and hopefully as he matures he adopts one of Gibbs' policies of "Don't embarass the Redskins".

HAIL!!!!

It's a much better deal. The last offer was one that included no jail time but he would've had to plead guilty to a felony. This is a no contest plea to 2 misdemeanor charges which includes the withholding of a conviction.

Not sure what exactly the withholding of a conviction implies but I gather that he's going to get no probation or anything other than visiting some schools and making some donations of about 10K.

Can any legal experts elaborate?

A witholding of a conviction basically means that as long as the defendant satisfies the conditions set forth by the judge, and remains crime-free for a certain period, no conviction will be entered on the criminal record. In Maryland, it's called a PBJ (Probation Before Judgment).

This was a superb plea deal. Two misdemeanor charges, no jail time, and a witholding of conviction. This was the best outcome for Taylor short of an outright dismissal or acquittal. :2cents:

People! I dont mean to rain on our parade but did you understand the article? Read it closely..

The agreement, which will require the approval of Judge Leonard Glick, will be presented during a hearing Thursday morning in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building.

It all stems on what Mr. Judgee Leonard Glick thinks. Not over until the fat Lady...Man sings.

Fingers are crossed.

Archived