Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor will not go jail--Accepts plea bargain

mhd24

Comparing this to the Ray Lewis situaton is ridiculous. He obstructed justice in a case where his buddies allegedly murdered someone. The facts are sufficiently muddled here and the outcome so minimal that I really doubt the NFL would suspend him.

Seriously. Aiding murderers versus poor decision making when defending his property? No contest.

Taylor most likely will be fined and/or suspended by the NFL. The league's Conduct Policy states --

"Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League."

Ray Lewis was fined $250,000 for pleading no contest to obstruction of justice. Taylor is pleading guilty to assault and battery, which are considered crimes of violence. Those are considered the most serious crimes in the Conduct Policy --

"It will be considered conduct detrimental for Covered Persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such Prohibited Conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons; the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime; possession or distribution of a weapon in violation of state or federal law; involvement in "hate crimes" or crimes of domestic violence; theft, larceny or other property crimes; sex offenses; racketeering; money laundering; obstruction of justice; resisting arrest; fraud; and violent or threatening conduct."

Previously, players who have pleaded no contest to those types of charges have been suspended for one game (see Mike Doss, Leon Searcy, Leonardo Carson, Derrick Rodgers, Dwayne Carswell and Wayne Hunter, among others), so that's what I'd expect the NFL to do (unless it considers the crimes to be more serious because guns were involved, although Taylor denied that he had one).

Be careful. Taylor is NOT pleading guilty to anything. He is pleading no contest to MISDEMEANOR charges of battery and assault. The judge will find him guilty of those misdemeanor charges but Taylor is not admitting to having done the crimes. I am no expert in Florida law, but by withholding the conviction, Taylor could end up being NOT FOUND GUILTY should he abide by the plea agreement. Thus, if the judge agrees to all this on Thursday, Taylor will not be guilty of ANY CRIME unless he violates the agreement and the judge formally finds Taylor guilty of the two misdemeanors. There will be no conviction on Taylor's record.

Also, since the guns are no longer in play, the NFL cannot use that as a reason since there is NO PROOF he used a gun during the crime.

The NFL may not do anything until the judge has made a final verdict in this case.....and that could be 6-12 months depending on all the things Taylor has to do to show good faith to the court.

In the end, I suspect Taylor will get fined but I doubt any suspension. Taylor and his attornies will make the case that they had to accept the plea deal to avoid the very small risk of a conviction. Even the NFL has to see how sketchy the case was against Taylor.

Comparing this to the Ray Lewis situaton is ridiculous. He obstructed justice in a case where his buddies allegedly murdered someone. The facts are sufficiently muddled here and the outcome so minimal that I really doubt the NFL would suspend him.

It should never have taken this long to get this kind of deal. It seemed to be a weak case from the start, and as it turned out it was. There is no suspension if there is no ultimate conviction.

This is the best outcome for the Redskins because the Redskins name won't be dragged through a trial. The Redskins didn't need focus being shifted to an off the field issue. I hope Gibbs and Snyder sit down with Taylor and make sure his behavior is in check. This means no spitting and a complete dedication to the team. Taylor needs to treat this as a fresh start.

I agree that it's good to have no off-field issue hanging over the team and that Taylor has earned himself a lecture from the front office/coaches about his off-field behavior. I also think the on-field behavior would be discussed in the context of hurting the team. However, I personally don't mind if he spits in someone else's face (partly because I don't consider spitting to be that big of a deal). Taylor brings a tremendous intimidation factor to our defense. It's not that I want him to go spitting at everybody. I just think the coaching staff can turn a blind eye to that a bit but the off-field distraction has to be stopped. I realize I'm probably in the minority here but I don't equate the two. I'm only against the spitting because of the risk of ejection or suspension. Anyway, sorry to digress.

Thanks be to the posse of expensive lawyers who, among other things, are clever enough to check myspace to do background research on the Asst DA.

BAH!!!! The NFL woulda done something ALREADY!!! The NFL ain't gonna do a goddamn thing [period]. End of discussion.

If Sean doesn't break the law during his probation period this shniz is over, fini, done-done finito. That's it. THAT'S IT!!!

Now let's allow the man to continue destroying worlds...

In the end, I suspect Taylor will get fined but I doubt any suspension. Taylor and his attorneys will make the case that they had to accept the plea deal to avoid the very small risk of a conviction. Even the NFL has to see how sketchy the case was against Taylor.
It should never have taken this long to get this kind of deal. It seemed to be a weak case from the start, and as it turned out it was. There is no suspension if there is no ultimate conviction.

I agree. Fined, but no suspension from the NFL.

And PLEEEEESE Sean, STAY AWAY from the old neighborhood. Who knows what Ryan Hill will cook up next time.

However, I personally don't mind if he spits in someone else's face (partly because I don't consider spitting to be that big of a deal). Taylor brings a tremendous intimidation factor to our defense and I think the spitting only adds to that.

c'mon :rolleyes:

Be careful. Taylor is NOT pleading guilty to anything. He is pleading no contest to MISDEMEANOR charges of battery and assault. ...

In the end, I suspect Taylor will get fined but I doubt any suspension.

According to the NFL's Conduct Policy, pleading no contest automatically makes him subject to a fine, suspension or banishment -- whatever the commisioner finds appropriate. Players have been suspended in the past for pleading no contest to misdemeanor violent crimes, and Taylor most likely will be, too. I haven't found a single player who pleaded no contest to similar charges who WASN'T suspended for at least one game. The bottom line is that accepting a plea bargain does not keep a player from being suspended.

According to the NFL's Conduct Policy, pleading no contest automatically makes him subject to a fine, suspension or banishment -- whatever the commisioner finds appropriate. Players have been suspended in the past for pleading no contest to misdemeanor violent crimes, and Taylor most likely will be, too. I haven't found a single player who pleaded no contest to similar charges who WASN'T suspended for at least one game. The bottom line is that accepting a plea bargain does not keep a player from being suspended.

Except for domestic violence (because the NFL, like anyone else, does not condone wife or girlfriend beatings), could you please tell us of at least one player who has been suspended for a violent misdemeanor crime?

Its not like he beat his wife or hit someone with a weapon though. The guy he hit, hit back, and its dubious who threw the first punch. The guy was also 275 lbs and a former defensive lineman.

Except for domestic violence (because the NFL, like anyone else, does not condone wife or girlfriend beatings), could you please tell us of at least one player who has been suspended for a violent misdemeanor crime?

Mike Doss was suspended for two games, then had it reduced to one, after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of firing a gun in the air.

If this is indeed "no contest without conviction, " it is NOT a plea bargain, no matter how it is worded in press releases. The end result, after the probation period, will be the same as if the case went to trial and Taylor was found not guilty on all counts. He will have zip on his record, not even a misdemeanor, and the record certainly will not reflect any form of "plea." This is different than a case being expunged from the record. You see this in legal drug cases (i.e., prescriptions) all the time. While gun charges are certainly more serious than buying too many pain pills, the principle is still the same. At the end of the day it will be as if this whole thing never happened.

I am sure the NFL will try to suspend Sean, and I'm confident that he will have a solid appeal if he chooses to follow it. The question will be whether or not the arbiter agrees.

I hope the judge allows the states offer. Adam and Sean. I cant wait to see those two. Vicious run support. I cant wait to see recievers try hold up for 4 quarters against those two assasins.

Yeah - in all seriousness, with 16 weeks of Archuleta-Taylor, I think some opposing WR is going to get hurt. It's never good to see someone get injured (except maybe to), but I just expect it with such a hard-hitting safety duo. I certainly don't want to go across the middle against them. :( Thank goodness I'm not a WR. :)

ST will be suspended for at least 1 game, this was a violent crime and just because he reached a plea deal doesn't constitute complete innocence which is what he needed to avoid a league suspension. Now its up to the commish, this could be his final league ruling before he rides into the sunset, or has he already?

ST will be suspended for at least 1 game, this was a violent crime and just because he reached a plea deal doesn't constitute complete innocence which is what he needed to avoid a league suspension. Now its up to the commish, this could be his final league ruling before he rides into the sunset, or has he already?

Brokeback fans have no place to say anything about players having legal trouble.:mad:

What do you call a drug ring in Dallas? A huddle.

WOOO HOOOO...congratz Mr. Taylor...didn't doubt for a sec. that you wouldn't spend a minute in jail. Now, go take those frustrations on all the conspirators in the allegations...I heard they were members of The Giants, The Eagles, and the people most responsible, the cowboys....go get revenge!!!

:laugh:

Ray Lewis was accused of murder, and plead to a lesser charge. He was suspended exactly zero games, but had to pay a hefty fine. If Taylor faces any stiffer penalty than that, it will be a travesty. Nobody died within the vicinity of ST.

I'm not saying Ray Ray's punishment was harsh enough, just that it set the bar. :2cents:

Archived