Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor will not go jail--Accepts plea bargain

mhd24

I'm am so freaking Happy this got done..but I hope Taylor learns from this mistake not from the fact tha he almost went to jail but that someone sprayed his car with like 46 bullets - The kid almost died so pls SEAN TAYLOR just concentrate on killing TO and everyone else yr after yr!!

We will see how Sean Taylor responds to this

Personally, I never expect to hear a peep out of him again after this incident. He was an immature punk coming out of the U, and this appears to have scared the daylights out of him, and scared him straight.

But its only been a year. Sean Taylor has to prove himself as not only being great on the field, which he has been, but a model Redskins off the field. He has a ways to go there, but I expect him to be a solid citizen and represent the B&G very well

Well damn, I called that one precisely like it unfolded. Taylor pleads no contest to misdemeanor charges and the DA decides to nolle prosse the charges in exchange for what amounts to community service.

Let's hope Taylor learned his lesson.

I wouldn't worry too much. Sean'll pobably plea to Tomfoolery and General Malfeasance and get 3 months in jail, along with some probation and community service; the prosecutor gets his conviction, 21 gets to continue his career, and everyone goes home happy.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2159942#post2159942

Where did I put my horn? Oh, here it is...

TOOT TOOT!

Ok, so I was wrong about the three months, but that was before all the business about the prosecutor switch and the endless trial delays came out.

Was anyone actually ever worried about this? This case was never more then a grandstanding prosecutor trying get his name in the papers. Too bad he ruined his career in the process. I hope he's a good DJ.

Whenever a case like that goes before a jury there is reason to be worried. The plea agreement worked out for both sides, the DAO gets to save face and Taylor gets to keep a clean rep sheet (assuming he gets his public records expunged).

Was anyone actually ever worried about this? This case was never more then a grandstanding prosecutor trying get his name in the papers. Too bad he ruined his career in the process. I hope he's a good DJ.

i wasnt very worried but there was always that lingering thought in the back of my head that something bad would happen...for once it didn't.

maybe we should make new ST shirts that just say "FREEDOM" on the front

Before any of you think that its completely over, remember this is like "probation", so if he screws up in the state of florida, all these charges rear thier ugly head again.

:laugh: Is double jeopardy practiced in Florida now?

What a weak ass trolling attempt.

Taylor most likely will be fined and/or suspended by the NFL. The league's Conduct Policy states --

"Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League."

Ray Lewis was fined $250,000 for pleading no contest to obstruction of justice. Taylor is pleading no contest to assault and battery, which are considered crimes of violence. Those are considered the most serious crimes in the Conduct Policy --

"It will be considered conduct detrimental for Covered Persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such Prohibited Conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons; the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime; possession or distribution of a weapon in violation of state or federal law; involvement in "hate crimes" or crimes of domestic violence; theft, larceny or other property crimes; sex offenses; racketeering; money laundering; obstruction of justice; resisting arrest; fraud; and violent or threatening conduct."

Previously, players who have pleaded no contest to those types of charges have been suspended for one game (see Mike Doss, Leon Searcy, Leonardo Carson, Derrick Rodgers, Dwayne Carswell and Wayne Hunter, among others), so that's what I'd expect the NFL to do (unless it considers the crimes to be more serious because guns were involved, although Taylor denied that he had one).

Before any of you think that its completely over, remember this is like "probation", so if he screws up in the state of florida, all these charges rear thier ugly head again.

Not really.

There won't be any probation per se. Taylor and the DA will agree on a timeframe during which Taylor has to complete his community service. Upon completion Taylor will be scott free, no strings attached.

Should Taylor get into trouble BEFORE completing his community service that's a different story.

The agreement, which will require the approval of Judge Leonard Glick, will be presented during a hearing Thursday morning in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building.

It all stems on what Mr. Judgee Leonard Glick thinks. Not over until the fat Lady...Man sings.

Fingers are crossed.

I noticed that too. Chances are he'll agree to it with some kind of probation attached: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/archive/2003-3/4/909.html

If ST has to miss the first game then Smoot should have to as well, didn't he plead guilty to a misdemeanor?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06147/693681-66.stm

Taylor most likely will be fined and/or suspended by the NFL. The league's Conduct Policy states --

"Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League."

Ray Lewis was fined $250,000 for pleading no contest to obstruction of justice. Taylor is pleading guilty to assault and battery, which are considered crimes of violence. Those are considered the most serious crimes in the Conduct Policy --

"It will be considered conduct detrimental for Covered Persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such Prohibited Conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons; the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime; possession or distribution of a weapon in violation of state or federal law; involvement in "hate crimes" or crimes of domestic violence; theft, larceny or other property crimes; sex offenses; racketeering; money laundering; obstruction of justice; resisting arrest; fraud; and violent or threatening conduct."

Previously, players who have pleaded no contest to those types of charges have been suspended for one game (see Mike Doss, Leon Searcy, Leonardo Carson, Derrick Rodgers, Dwayne Carswell and Wayne Hunter, among others), so that's what I'd expect the NFL to do (unless it considers the crimes to be more serious because guns were involved, although Taylor denied that he had one).

This is a case of probation before judgment though, so I'm not sure if this applies.

Smoot pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and being a public nuisance, which aren't crimes of violence. Every player I've found who pleaded guilty or no contest to crimes of violence (like Taylor) has been suspended for at least one game. Most of them were domestic disputes.

This is a case of probation before judgment though, so I'm not sure if this applies.

So were a lot of the examples I cited. Most of them pleaded no contest to lesser charges before going to trial, just like Taylor did.

So were a lot of the examples I cited. Most of them pleaded no contest to lesser charges before going to trial, just like Taylor did.

Handfield said Taylor, the Redskins' No. 1 draft pick in 2004, has agreed to plead no contest to one misdemeanor battery charge and one misdemeanor assault charge. The deal includes a withholding of a conviction, Handfield said, and the dismissal of three charges of felony assault with a deadly weapon that each carried a mandatory minimum three-year sentence.

Withholding of a conviction...could the NFL still penalize him even under those circumstances?

It will be interesting to see what the NFL does with regards to fines or a suspension.

The fact that this case has been dragged through the mud for the past year increases the odds of the NFL feeling obligated to hand down punishment.

Add on to that the fact that Sean is a repeat offender for a littany of violations ranging from wrong colored socks to spitting on players -- they are indeed likely to levy some form of punishment.

The good news is that I do believe Sean has been scared straight once he realized he could've spent 46 years in jail for acting like a tough guy.

While I think he will still be prone to temper problems on and off the field, Sean will now be more likely spend time with his teammates in Washington than trolling sketchy neighborhoods in Miami.

Can anyone explain what "withholding of a conviction" means? Is it the same as not guilty as long as he follows the terms of the plea?

I'm pretty sure that it's a form of probation in which there is no punishment as long as he does what the court orders. It's like a tap on the wrist compared to the slap that is probation.

You guys don't have to play the dolphins/tampa/jacksonville on the road this year do you? If so, i suggest locking ST in his hotel room until kickoff.

heh heh - cowboy fan is grasping for straws...but you had to know it would play out this way sooner or later. Now we can get back to discussing football.

Comparing this to the Ray Lewis situaton is ridiculous. He obstructed justice in a case where his buddies allegedly murdered someone. The facts are sufficiently muddled here and the outcome so minimal that I really doubt the NFL would suspend him.

Archived