Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

and it makes me sick to see you old fans drool over wrestler who could never do what the guys now are doing.. so whats your point..

I think you mistake most people's admiration of the old school guys as us not acknowledging what guys can do in the ring. I absolutely love what guys are doing in the ring now. I don't think we had a guy like Samoa Joe floating around in the Golden Age of wrestling ('cept for Hashimoto). I think most are just upset by some of the ignorant ramblings that are being thrown out about saying that wrestling was a snorefest back then because there were no hurricanranas, 630 splashes and high flying stuff of that nature.

As for your statement, I ask you...

so whats your point..

I always admired The Great Muta for his abilities. He'd fit right in today's era.

Japan's pro wrestling was absolutely no joke from the tapes that I've seen.

His stint in the NWA had some memorable moments as well.

I still love the match where he wrestled Sting (surfer not Crow) in an electrified Steel Cage. I can't remember the PPV- I'd really like to see it again.

and it makes me sick to see you old fans drool over wrestler who could never do what the guys now are doing.. so whats your point..

Do yourself a favor & go educate yourself. Pickup the 3 disc Flair DVD & the Four Horsemen DVD.

And if you want to Flair do what the guys do, go find a copy of the Flair vs Big Sloooow ECW Championship match.

The thing is, Flair never had to do a 15 minute spotfest. Flair could & still can put on an actual match. After all, it does say WRESTLING on the marque.

ps

Sith Lord - I actually remember the wristlock/wris****ch promo. :) Good stuff.

glad to see the old NWA getting some props, especially the Rock and Roll express and the Midnight's, 4 wrestlers who couldn't have made it out of independent's being headliners in Tag Teams. Tag wrestling was great back in the day, The Killer Bee's, Fantastics. The Fabulous One's, the Freebirds, Road Warriors ( I will never consider them the LOD) although both were part of their intro in the early day's. The Bulldog's, the Hart Foundation, The US Express, I think that's what Barry Windham and Mike Rotunda were called ) Can-Am Express, Strike Fore, and there are way more.

Tag Team's used to be such a highlight of the show, the NWA had a 64 man elimination tourny called "The Crocket Cup" they'd bring a few from Japan and other's would team up just to fill out the tourny and it broke down just like the NCAA basketball tourny but they had to wrestle all 6 matches in one day. I don't remember any teams except the Road Warriors and Sting and Lex Luger winning but there are a few other's.

Do any of the older guy's remember watching "The New Breed" in the mid 80's?

I remember watching Shark Boy wrestle in New Martinsville, WV... my hometown at the high school in front of a crowd of maybe 75 people. This was back in 1998 or 1999 and he was known as El Pirahna. I was friends with the promoter and he was highly impressed by him because he wore his mask to the event and left with it on. He was totally trying to kayfabe his gimmick even at a crappy high school show in the beginning of his career.

The Stone Cold gimmick is hilarious. Clam Juice? Cause that's the fishin' line? Stomp a waterin' hole in yer ass? Come on, it's funny!

Speaking of Tomko, I'm glad that he's getting the push that he deserves. He has a great look, talks like a normal person on the mic with conviction and can go in the ring. He's really improved his ring work since he started touring Japan very frequently. Tomko is a big fan of the ultra-stiff Japanese style and is quite over in their country.

sith lord got his panties in a bunch because i said the wrestling now is better than it was then, and i stand by what i said... the matches done now are absolutely insane, and could never be done by the wrestlers of yesterday

So you prefer glorified stuntmen to talented wrestlers with charisma and and great mic skills?

‘Smackdown’ smacked down by CW

Pro wrestling series leaving network in fall after 10-year partnership

The Associated Press

updated 10:28 a.m. ET, Fri., Feb. 8, 2008

NEW YORK - Pro wrestling is getting smacked down by the CW network.

The long-running "Friday Night Smackdown" won't be airing on the CW this fall, the network and World Wrestling Entertainment said late Thursday. In separate announcements, they stated that "after a successful decade of ‘Smackdown,’" they had agreed to conclude their partnership after the 2007-08 season.

No reasons were offered.

WWE added that it began talks with other networks after the CW's exclusive period to negotiate a renewal ended Jan. 31. Although no details were disclosed for a possible new home for the show, candidates might include NBC Universal, whose USA cable channel already carries "WWE Raw," and MyNetworkTV, where some affiliates aired "Smackdown" when they were UPN stations.

The two-hour "Smackdown" premiered on then-fledgling UPN in fall 1999 as strategic counterprogramming on Thursdays. "Smackdown" gave UPN a foothold on that night of bruising prime-time competition, but even as a ratings contender, it proved to be a sometimes uncomfortable fit with UPN's image.

When UPN, owned by CBS, merged with Warner Bros.' WB in 2006, "Smackdown" seemed no less out of place on the resulting CW network.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23068209/

Do yourself a favor & go educate yourself. Pickup the 3 disc Flair DVD & the Four Horsemen DVD.

And if you want to Flair do what the guys do, go find a copy of the Flair vs Big Sloooow ECW Championship match.

The thing is, Flair never had to do a 15 minute spotfest. Flair could & still can put on an actual match. After all, it does say WRESTLING on the marque.

ps

Sith Lord - I actually remember the wristlock/wris****ch promo. :) Good stuff.

So true... People seem to forget about 15-20 years ago some of us got to watch wrestling, not stylized hugging matches. I remember when Bret Hart and HBK were doing their iron man match. Everyone was hyping up the hour long contest, I remember thinking to myself.. Rick Flair's been doing that for years.

Now though people don't have the attention span, but Rick Flair would put on an hour long match and entertain you the entire time.

Who was it at TNA that thought having Shark Boy rip off the Stone Cold gimmick was a good idea? :doh:

Ripping off someone's gimmick just to try to get a wrestler over is probably one of the worst things a wrestling booker can do, IMO. Whoever gave the green light on this should be canned. I'd be willing to let "Black Machismo" pass, since Jay Lethal is actually very talented, but Shark Boy ripping off Stone Cold is just horrible.

This just goes to show how inferior TNA is as an organization, not just compared to the WWE, but in general. It's a shame too, because TNA's roster has SO MUCH talent.

On a side note, that "Coach" avatar you got is hilarious!!:laugh:

Ripping off someone's gimmick just to try to get a wrestler over is probably one of the worst things a wrestling booker can do, IMO. Whoever gave the green light on this should be canned. I'd be willing to let "Black Machismo" pass, since Jay Lethal is actually very talented, but Shark Boy ripping off Stone Cold is just horrible.

This just goes to show how inferior TNA is as an organization, not just compared to the WWE, but in general. It's a shame too, because TNA's roster has SO MUCH talent.

On a side note, that "Coach" avatar you got is hilarious!!:laugh:

From what i've been reading, the Shark Boy Stone Cold angle came about the same way as the Black Machismo gimmick. It was something that was joked about backstage and someone decided that it would get over with the fans. I think it'll be cute for a while, just like Black Machismo but after a year or so, the wrestlers should have their own gimmick going.

So you prefer glorified stuntmen to talented wrestlers with charisma and and great mic skills?

what does the e stand for in wwe, someone please tell me, as far as i know it says entertainment, and wrstling is what kurt angle and brock lesnar used to do before they started juicing up....... get over people, "wrestling" now isnt qwhat it used to be, it evolved, and your just gonna have to accept the fact that most of these guys are much more athletic and much mroe entertaining than what you used to watch......

id rather watch any hell in a cell or even one of the many CLASSIC RVD vs Jerry Lynn matches from ecw over any hulk hogan or ric flair match, this isnt 19ought3 any more, the game has changed, so get used to it, or go rent your old nwa videos and watch father time do whatever it was that made him good... ill stick to the new and better stuff

oh BTW, no chance ANYONE was better on the mic than the rock, stone cold, HBK, HHH, foley etc... these guys can put on a show, which is all it is.. ITS NOT A SPORT

Guest sith lord
what does the e stand for in wwe, someone please tell me, as far as i know it says entertainment, and wrstling is what kurt angle and brock lesnar used to do before they started juicing up....... get over people, "wrestling" now isnt qwhat it used to be, it evolved, and your just gonna have to accept the fact that most of these guys are much more athletic and much mroe entertaining than what you used to watch......

id rather watch any hell in a cell or even one of the many CLASSIC RVD vs Jerry Lynn matches from ecw over any hulk hogan or ric flair match, this isnt 19ought3 any more, the game has changed, so get used to it, or go rent your old nwa videos and watch father time do whatever it was that made him good... ill stick to the new and better stuff

oh BTW, no chance ANYONE was better on the mic than the rock, stone cold, HBK, HHH, foley etc... these guys can put on a show, which is all it is.. ITS NOT A SPORT

It's funny because all the guys you mentioned would not agree with you at all. They all grew up watching oldskool. Don't believe me, get the Four Horsemen DVD and listen to HHH and HBK.

And then you talk about mic skills, when guys like Flair and Rhodes we giving interviews, their words were coming from them, NOT A WRITER as is the case today. Again, you lose.

Another advantage oldskool had over todays "entertainment" is that there was no internet back then. When something happened out of the blue, we were surprised. Today, it's almost impossible to keep anything a secret and that takes away from the suspense.

It's funny because all the guys you mentioned would not agree with you at all. They all grew up watching oldskool. Don't believe me, get the Four Horsemen DVD and listen to HHH and HBK.

And then you talk about mic skills, when guys like Flair and Rhodes we giving interviews, their words were coming from them, NOT A WRITER as is the case today. Again, you lose.

Another advantage oldskool had over todays "entertainment" is that there was no internet back then. When something happened out of the blue, we were surprised. Today, it's almost impossible to keep anything a secret and that takes away from the suspense.

of course they grew up watching old school wrestling, who didnt grow up watching it? plus the 2 you listed are the 2 biggest brown nosers in the wwe.....YOU LOSE

as for mic skills, they do those today, they are called shoot interviews, and the reason they dont speak their mind, is because they are being paid an ass load of money to say what they are told... plus listening to the rock do his thing, dx mock the nation ro the corporation, hell, anything stone cold would pull during his prime was better than anything flair or rhodes ever did....YOU LOSE

adn as for the itnernet, yea ill give yu that, but no one said anything about it, therefore its a moot point...

Jeff Hardy jumping off ladders & jumbotrons is the reason why when he actually wrestles a regular match (like at the Royal Rumble 2 weeks ago), the crowd sits on their hands & does nothing.

and i bet you said holy **** when he did jump off the titantron and did some crazy stuff off of ladders

Please don't foreget P.S. Michael Hayes when you talk about cutting a promo. and as Sith said they wrote their own shoot's and other's because they were bookers.

You new skoolers like what you like and us old timers like what we like, "get the F out" error was fine to a certain extent until there was no real comp, when the "Monday Night Wars" were going on it was entertaing as hell but that was all promo driven, back in the day the promo was the setup and the match told most of the story. it wasn't a ego driven nightmare, back then people would gladly put over a wrestler to give him the chance, Flair booked himself to lose so he could win his belt back and on the other hand Hogan refused to make anyone and held the strap forever which was boring ( someone would sneak him, he'd be "injured or betrayed" and he'd overcome the odds to win his big draw matchup against whoever, Hulk was pissed when he had to nake The Ultimate warrior bigger than he already was ). Cena is just the new I can overcome the odds like Hogan mixed with a little bit of funny BS moves like The Rock. It's typical vince booking an writing. Flair booked himself to lose to Kerry Von Erich in Texas Stadium shortly after his brother died out of respect and knew he'd have another chance again to be champ. The last selfless job I heard about was when the were going to give Kane a long run with the Heavyweight belt, and he said his carrer was winding down and rather halp make someone, hence the reason he was one of the first to agree to do the crossover brand matches. If Flair never put over Sting back in the day, you'd have never seen one of the greatest ever suceed.

It's sad when you are great at working a match with other's but you can't cut a decent promo, those guy's used to get a premo manager and the manager helped them along with the promo.

Even when the gimmick's were used when they couldn't come up with soething good, When Dusty and Magnum did the MIdnight Rider stuff, they played it out and you never saw them unmasked so the Horsemen could catch Dusty on a susoension, but it was made obvious to the fan's who was under the mask, when Hogan did this it was so blantly stupid, he was called "the Hulk Machine" and he alway's took the mask off before the end of the match.

Wrestling isn't what it used to be and never will be again, that's why the only people who get stoked now just started following the shows.

As for TNA, think what you want but if you were a fan and saw Randy Savage's manager search, or when he got Steamboat with the bell over the guard rail can appreciate "Black Machismo" Hell Shark Boy went from a chump to a funny man overnight, he sounds just like Austin, Lok at the BS 3D promo's in the 80's if they could perform they'd get a manager to help put them over. The guy's who would have made it don't because the coan't get on the mic, AJ Styles would be huge if he could get on the mic.

You guy's who think it was BS back, fine but I was from a new generation of fan back then but I greatly apprecited the evolution it made betwween the Backlund, Thesz, Bockwinkel era because that was the evolution of it all.