Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Immortality - Would you take it?

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This agruement can go either way.

As great as it sounds--living forever. Never having to worry if there will be a tomorrow.

I think the negatives outweigh the positives though. Having to repeat losing your family and friends over and over is not worth it. Sure, you can always make new friends and try to have them fill that void but, to be honest I can not see how they can after a while.

I would not want to have immortality.

That's where life is much easier for those of us who understand that the only person watching out for our best interests is ourselves and the only person whose best interests we should be looking out for is ourselves. When you don't have those silly attachments it makes life just so much easier.

I agree with China completely on the topic, and wouldn't want to outlive my family.

Sorry to get off topic here folks but these comments are just too odd.

I don't see my family and friends as silly attachments, as most likely the majority of the American public would agree with. Secondly, if people didn't look out for others best interests, millions of people would die every year world wide.

You live in freedom because people have put others best interests ahead of their own, something you may want to ponder a bit.

:cheers:

Immediately i want to say yes - because i have a serious obsession with wanting to see society in 100, 1,000, 5,000 years, etc...

But i just fear becoming a emotionless pod of human. To me the greatest gift humans have is their emotions - but if you were to watch generation after generation of friends and family die the only thing you could do is to become cold to it; and i don't know if i want that. So, i think what i'd like is to be woken up for a year every 100 years or so. That'd be nice. :)

But i just fear becoming a emotionless pod of human. To me the greatest gift humans have is their emotions - but if you were to watch generation after generation of friends and family die the only thing you could do is to become cold to it; and i don't know if i want that. So, i think what i'd like is to be woken up for a year every 100 years or so. That'd be nice. :)

that's why you use a qualifying statement. such as "as long as my wife and son are with me...."

kind of ducking the question, but i got away with it. :D

Whoa now, watch what you wish for. You also need to be able to turn it on and off when you want. Otherwise you are in for a world of trouble.

:laugh:

I thought that went without saying. Of course you need to be able to turn it on and off at will. Also it would be much better if you could turn your clothes invisible as well so that you didn't have to be naked to be invisible. Otherwise it's a summertime activity. :)

Sorry to get off topic here folks but these comments are just too odd.

I don't see my family and friends as silly attachments, as most likely the majority of the American public would agree with. Secondly, if people didn't look out for others best interests, millions of people would die every year world wide.

Obviously a different way of seeing the world, Pete. If it works for you, go with it. Millions of people die worldwide every year anyway. Increasing that number really doesn't phase me. Especially considering the general lack of compassion or even interest that I feel towards the human race to begin with.

If i was immortal, i would be a blob. I mean come on... haven't you ever told someone "been there done that" ? If you had immortality I bet that would be the response you would give to one of your friends after they invite you somewhere.

But yet again it would be funny to be involved in some horrible accident and a group of people surround the accident and I walk out perfectly fine, looking at the lifeless dead bodies and reply "well that sucks" and walk away.

by the way...no immortality for me please:)

well on one hand are you talking about Jesus Christ in heavan forever immortal or the Tuck Everlasting kind of immortal? i'll take Jesus any day, ill throw away any of that on earth for ever stuff.

edit: although being immortal on the battlefield would have certaint advantages...

It is an interesting concept. I would probably have to go for it, as long as being immortal meant I would not be able to contract a disabling disease that would make me suffer for eternity.

One thing I would say to those who talk about out living their love ones and watching them die is that even as a mortal, there is a chance you may out live your love ones and watch them die. Whether you believe in Heaven and Hell or Purgatory or whatever, it is those who out live the dead and carry memories of them that keep them "alive." If I lived forever, I would be able to keep them memories of my love ones alive forever.

Kinda funny how many people want to qualify this or put limitations on it. I get to be "immortal" but it means I have to whack people and eat their brains, suck their blood, etc.? Un huh, don't send me a Tailgate invite........ I'm showing up with a knife n fork!

One thing I would say to those who talk about out living their love ones and watching them die is that even as a mortal, there is a chance you may out live your love ones and watch them die. Whether you believe in Heaven and Hell or Purgatory or whatever, it is those who out live the dead and carry memories of them that keep them "alive." If I lived forever, I would be able to keep them memories of my love ones alive forever.

This is true. My dad's parents buried two of their children. My father died 14 1/2 years ago. I lost my grandmother about 2 1/2 ago. I hope she's "with" her children now. I'll probably lose more loved ones by the time I hit 40-45.

Do we in the Civilized World tend to forget that the very fact of human existence was constant loss in eras past? We think we're entitled to see our children outlive us, to live to a ripe, old age, to die peacefully in our sleep, etc. But that's simple not how it's been for almost all of our history. So much of what we have done has been to extend life and preserve and better its quality--there's a REASON for that. Because there's value in this life.

The other thing is, there's an assumption by some that they will live forever in the afterlife. But not all of us feel so strongly that there is one. Think about all the things that make us so similar to all other forms of life, even animals dream. We sleep, eat, ___, have sex, get violent and angry, possessive, we are hurt, we get sick, we die, we multiply. How do we know that upon death that's not it for us? I mean, think of it like this--babies or small kids that die, if they're in heaven are they stuck in baby mode forever? Do they 'grow up' in the afterlife?

This life may be all that we have and even if there is an afterlife, there is a REASON we are put here. This life means something and matters. Once you reach eternity on some ethereal plane--nothing really matters anymore. It's like one big exhibition game---FOREVER.

That's why I'd choose immortality in a heartbeat.

You see, being human is about suffering loss and gaining happiness. To live forever would mean the chance to live a thousand different lives, to truly empathize and understand your fellow man, nature, maybe even other species one day. It would mean being able to fully experience being a human being. There's nothing wrong with that vision.

I would never want to be immortal but I guess we are stuck with it.

Never asked for life if given the option I would passed it on to the next sucker, er, I mean person. But as a christian, I believe at this point I will continue on existing either way since Im already here, which just plain sucks. (What an Amway scam that is)

Its like paying taxes; cant get out of it.

Would I like to be immortal, if Im going to hell if i die sure

If Heaven bound , no.

If I could stop existing , no

Since I have a good since of self-- sure I like to be immortal

No, this world's best years (60's and 70's) are behind us. Between overpopulation, decline in morality, the increased level of negativity and hatred, I'll be ready to check out when the time comes. I do feel sorry for the younger generation and my grandchildren etc...Seeya!

As long as I'm immune to disease and aging, absolutely. I'm a loner to begin with, so I could adapt to not getting too attached. Only downside is realistically never being able to retire, though if I know I'll never grow old, I'd be willing to go to Medical School and become a doctor so I'd have money and would be doing something meaningful.

Archived