Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP - Jets closing in on Patrick Ramsey Deal

Haha it feels like we are taking Patrick Ramsey to the NFL Pawn shop. Dan Snyder brought a $1500 ring that doesnt fit his finger anymore (Patrick Ramsey 1st round 32nd pick 2002) to the pawn shop just to hear the idiot Pawn broker say "Ill give you $200 for it" (5th round pick, conditional pick). The Big Dan knows he is getting a terrible deal but most likely wont find anything better so he has to reluctantly take it. I hope Patrick earns us a 3rd rounder next year so we get the best possible deal. Having a first round pick leave the team without impacting the franchise at all (i know it's def not his fault alone) leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it has happend far too often recently. I look forward to Gibbs righting the ship.

Definately gonna need a 3rd QB, but who knows what Coach has in mind.. I guess we'll find out as soon as Ramsey is gone and everyone starts posting who they should pick up.. (Check it out, I said "they") :laugh:

i think that's one of the points (just one) for making a deal like this...since ramsey is not in our 2007-8 future period, take the moeny he'd cost and use it for a #3 who shouldn't see any time (likely) and a couple of future players...vs letting him go for zilch after sitting on the bench as a #3 all year...

...because there's no way he's gonna be put at #2 ahead of campbell...and if anybody believes that he would be, well never mind, but it ain't gonna happen.

it's 2 players and # 3 who won't see the field hardly at all if ever, vs a #3 who won't see the field hardly at all if ever and nothing.

that don't mean i'm happy with another first round that didn't work out or that i wish we hadn't traded him when he was worth more, though i understand the thinking then.

I guess one good thing about this trade is more draft picks. With Gibbs, GW and Saunders in the war room, i cant help but think we will get the most out of the majority of our draft picks. The team should def patch some quick fix holes thru FA every year, but i think its time to put heavy focus on the draft. A couple years of drafting players with the heart and talent of Chris Cooley we will be in great shape. Plus, building championship teams seems to be what Gibbs does best. I say let him build. Give us the picks.

Keeping Ramsey Pros and cons -

Pros

Potental, cannon arm, cold blooded pocket passer, knows the system, familiar with the program/team.

Cons

Cap number, would be 3rd on the roster... how many No 3s even suit up on game day, potential for throwing games away, not gibbs guy, immobile, trys too hard to win games with his arm, a holdover from the "old days", injury prone ?

Conclusion :

Hell i would take anything we can get for him. There is no way he would play next year (god willing) and he is on decent money (3milionish). Without the Jets trade then we really would be looking at cutting him and getting nothing . Bring back Tim Hastlebeck or Byron Spinner from last year to sit there at 2/3 would be one hell of a lot cheaper.

"I hope he doesn't go there," the GM said. "He's a great kid, but he wants to please so much that when he doesn't it really bothers him. He doesn't have the temperament to play there. You've got to be thick-skinned to play in New York. He'll be eaten [alive] up there."

Stupid. Just stupid. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode that George fakes being from out of town so he can date that Tourist Guide girl. When he tells her he's thinking about moving to NY, she says he'll be eaten alive.

Stupid. :doh:

I say we take what ever we can get. I mean next year at this time he's a FA and we'd get zip for losing him. So I guess I'm thinking whatever we can get is better then nothing. We should have delt him last year when the Jets wanted him in the middle of the season. To me that's where we screwed up and lost more value for him.

I think the times reported he's going to detroit next, then Miami.

So, the Jets might have to Pony up some more.

My offer would be.

Ramsey and OUR 4th rounder, for the Jets 2nd rounder and a conditional 3rd next year if he plays more than 50% of the snaps. If he doesn't. Then a 6th rounder next year.

If Ramsey is our 3rd string QB (and it looks like he is), Gibbs will trade him out of respect for Ramsey. Keeping him is not an option.

We probably aren't going to get a great draft pick. That's why I was hoping we'd trade him for a player in the same situation as him - not that great so far, but still has some potential to be good.

Maybe this is just to gauge Ramsey's worth to the Jets while trying to work out a trade involving Abraham. If not then the Skins will take the 5th rounder because Gibbs is a man of his word. It's obvious he told Patrick he'll try to get him into the best situation he can. If it means only getting a 5th round pick then so be it. That's Gibbs at his human-relations best, and possibly his deal-making worst.

Yeah I don't like this. A 5th round pick is pretty meaningless. The difference in talent from a middle of the round 5th round and a guy who goes undrafted isn't much. The latter just costs you absolutely nothing. The former may cost us a decent QB.

At minimum I'd want a 3rd rounder, possibly a 4th this year and maybe a 4th and 6th next year or something.

Really chances are the guy we get with the 5th round pick won't be anywhere near the asset to the team that a Ramsey-level backup is. Not saying Ramsey is Joe Montana, but I'd rather have a decent backup than another Jared Newberry.

I really do like the idea of a conditional pick in addition to a pick this season. There's really not going to be any competition in NY with Ramsey this season. Pennington just won't be ready going into training camp and there's a big question as to whether he will ever be ready. It's not like he had arm strength to burn BEFORE his injury.

I think a 4th this year and a conditional 3rd is nice value

or

a 5th this year that could become a 2nd next year.

A 5th and 3rd next year is on the borderline. I'd want that 3rd to be guaranteed. :)

Also, I think the new CBA getting done was a boost to Ramsey's trade value. With more money across the league to work with to sign free agents, draft picks become less valuable (to Ramsey suitors).

Archived