Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP - Jets closing in on Patrick Ramsey Deal

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/62982.htm

JETS CLOSING IN ON RAMSEY DEAL

New York Post

By MARK CANNIZZARO

March 10, 2006 -- The Jets, hell-bent on repairing their crippled quarterback situation, are acting quickly on Patrick Ramsey - so quickly that the former No. 1 draft pick out of Tulane could join Chad Pennington and Co. within days.

Two sources familiar with the goings on between the Jets and Redskins, told The Post last night that the Jets and Jimmy Sexton, the agent for the Washington backup quarterback, have been actively working on the parameters for a trade that would bring Ramsey to New York.

Word is the Jets would give the Redskins a fifth-round draft pick in next month's NFL draft as well as a possible conditional pick in the 2007 draft, depending on how much and how well Ramsey plays.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

A fifth round pick??? Geez, why don't we just pay them to take him. What a waste that was of a 1st round pick. A fifth round pick may not even make the team. Now who's gonna tell me all the hall of famers that were 5th round picks??

a 5th & a conditional 3rd?

I don't know

i am thinking the same thing...

conditional 3rd is pretty good as long as it isnt something unrealistic like needing a pro bowl year... but if the condition something like starting 8-10 games for the Jets then i think its pretty good deal...

...keep saying that outside D.C. people will see how much he's wanted...his 2005 pre-season and early series against the bears seems to have really hurt his value...i hoped his brirf giants appearance would build his rep back up a bit..but maimi & detroit won't even outbid a 5th and a conditional...hate it but been predicting it...but I agree we shouldn't keep him...rather have the picks and some average vet #3 for the money and let the team move on, cut the ties...

I suppose if this is the best we can get...but it doesn't mean we have to like it.

I'd rather send him away happy and get what we can than piss him off and make things unpleasent for everyone by keeping him around. Still, I would like a better conditional pick scale, going up to a 2nd or a 1st if he makes the probowl (I doubt he will this year though anyway) (and possibly send them a low round pick in return, if he does that good). But this is better then nothing, I guess and certainly better than seeing him in Dallas. (not that I think that would be likely anyway)

Horrible, just horrible...

I'd rather have a disgruntled but capable backup QB than a BS 5th round pick. Do you know who the Skins have drafted in the 5th round the last few years? Exactly...

Ironic. Not from you personally, but many on this board were so concerned about Ramsey's future, and how he should get a fair shot. In NYJ, he should. Pennington is good, that's it. So, if Ramsey is as good as many claim (on this board), he'll win the starting job.

I know Johnny Unitas was even a lower pick then a 5th, but can't recall if Bart Starr was too? :laugh:

Hey, dont forget, we got nothing in the way of picks for Lavar. :paranoid:

It would be more constructive to try and figure out who the Redskins have drafted lately from the 5th round that has made any kind of contribution. And is getting a player like that worth giving up a capable backup QB?

Woohoo, I did the research, GAWD am I bored...

2005: Jared Newberry

2004: Mark Wilson

2003: Nobody

2002: Andre Lott and Robert Royal

2001: Darnerian McCants

2000: Quincy Sanders

1999: Derek Smith the OT

1998: Mark Fischer

1997: Jamel Williams, Keith Thibodeaux, Twan Russell, Brad Badger

1996: Leomont Evans

That's far enough to show the lack of success...

Badger, Royal, McCants, Lott, and Evans are the best of the bunch and that isn't saying much...

Keeping Ramsey just seems so much better...

Ironic. Not from you personally, but many on this board were so concerned about Ramsey's future, and how he should get a fair shot. In NYJ, he should. Pennington is good, that's it. So, if Ramsey is as good as many claim (on this board), he'll win the starting job.

If you look at my history I've stated that Brunell should be gone and Ramsey shoudl be the starter. I've made some lengthy arguments about the raw deal Ramsey got in DC. And I personally hope he stays and wins "OUR" starting QB job...

Many seem to think this would be a bad deal. I, however, think we would be lucky to get a fifth and a conditional third for him. He has yet to show that he can win consistently at this level. He has consistently shown a nack for throwing into coverage. We are lucky to get anything for him.

This deal is horrendous. It could cost us dearly and gets us nothing. If Gibbs does this, he should have his head examined. I've said this late at night, but I'll guarantee you I'll feel the same way about it in the morning. A fifth rounder is worthless. A third rounder a year from now is absolutely unacceptable.

We also have to remember that we'll be $1.7 mil more under the cap.

But Gibbs will probably want to bring in another veteran QB as insurance against Campbell not being ready to play a more vital role on this team. And backup to Brunell looks like a very vital role...

Many seem to think this would be a bad deal. I, however, think we would be lucky to get a fifth and a conditional third for him. He has yet to show that he can win consistently at this level. He has consistently shown a nack for throwing into coverage. We are lucky to get anything for him.

Thats the thing though.... to get a conditional 3rd Ramsey will probably have to start at least half their games and perform well enough to keep his starting job (speculation obviously no terms have been announced thus far). I like Ramsey and I also think he got a raw deal here, but like the article said i dont think the jets are the best place for him to go and have lots of success. Id like to see him in Detroit with the WRs they have. Whatever team he ends up on though i really hope he plays well and proves himself, except of course when our boys are on the opposing sideline :point2sky

But Gibbs will probably want to bring in another veteran QB as insurance against Campbell not being ready to play a more vital role on this team. And backup to Brunell looks like a very vital role...

Definately gonna need a 3rd QB, but who knows what Coach has in mind.. I guess we'll find out as soon as Ramsey is gone and everyone starts posting who they should pick up.. (Check it out, I said "they") :laugh:

A fifth round pick??? Geez, why don't we just pay them to take him. What a waste that was of a 1st round pick. A fifth round pick may not even make the team. Now who's gonna tell me all the hall of famers that were 5th round picks??

Tom Brady went later than that

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147494

Hmmm, if the WT article is correct, then maybe the other teams will up the ante a bit, and make the Jets give us more.

It wont happen, because the Lions paid Harrington a huge roster bonus (they consider him the starter because of it) and Miami has Gus Ferrote and is considering going after Drew Brees (so they also consider Ramsey a backup).

So you cant expect to get more when two of the teams consider Ramsey as a backup.

And the Jets were thought to be going after Jon Kitna recently, who is a more proven QB then Ramsey. So under the circumstances we are lucky to get a 3rd and 5th hopefully. :D

Its hard to get a lot in TODAY'S Nfl when there are now only 7 rounds to the draft and teams usually only have 7 picks to deal. In the old days when there were 15 rounds to the draft, you could wheel and deal more.

Archived