Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP - Jets closing in on Patrick Ramsey Deal

When did I say bet on him? I'm just talking about keeping him on the roster, so we have options.

I'm sure we will have options, by picking up another vet as the #3. Options will never be a problem as long as coach Gibbs is there...COMPENSATION on the other hand, disappears after this year.

Nobody ever bets as much on a late first round QB as this team appears to betting on Campbell. Never. It does not happen in the NFL.

Kyle Boller (Gave up a 2nd and a first)

JP Losman (can't find the exact deal, but traded with Dallas)

Sure, it doesn't happen in the NFL... :doh:

Jason

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/62982.htm

JETS CLOSING IN ON RAMSEY DEAL

New York Post

By MARK CANNIZZARO

March 10, 2006 -- The Jets, hell-bent on repairing their crippled quarterback situation, are acting quickly on Patrick Ramsey - so quickly that the former No. 1 draft pick out of Tulane could join Chad Pennington and Co. within days.

Two sources familiar with the goings on between the Jets and Redskins, told The Post last night that the Jets and Jimmy Sexton, the agent for the Washington backup quarterback, have been actively working on the parameters for a trade that would bring Ramsey to New York.

Word is the Jets would give the Redskins a fifth-round draft pick in next month's NFL draft as well as a possible conditional pick in the 2007 draft, depending on how much and how well Ramsey plays.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Good for him. Now at least he can get a real shot at doing his thing. Instead of not being on the bench doing nothing. Hope Campbell pans out, because that would be ANOTHER good player gone for dang near no good reason. I guess he wasn't a "character" guy" either hug?

Good for him. Now at least he can get a real shot at doing his thing. Instead of not being on the bench doing nothing. Hope Campbell pans out, because that would be ANOTHER good player gone for dang near no good reason. I guess he wasn't a "character" guy" either hug?

oops meant to say huh? not hug!!

You really don't get it. It simply doesn't matter what his value is to other organizations -- his value to the Skins is much higher than a 5th rounder.

I guess we will find out this offseason. If he does get traded for a 5th rounder, I guess you'd be wrong.

If he really was worth a 2nd round pick, Ramsey wouldn't be doing the grand tour right now. We'd be planning for him to be on the roster and waiting for the phone to ring, because I'm sure asking around, no one has offered us a 2nd for him yet.

Jason

I guess being surrounded by all pros like Santana Moss and Portis don't count...maybe they can't help carry the load a bit?

Its all relative. Portis and Moss will certainly help, but hes a second year pro with no game experience (save preseason) going against players like Ty Law, Jevon Kearse and other NFL stars (and all were collegiate standouts). Thats a lot different from a redshirt senior playing against Arkansas.

The Czar, John Czarnecki, of FOX sports seems to think the Lions might give the Jets some competition for the services of Ramsey.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5395320

Notes and thoughts

It looks like the Jets will have to fight the Detroit Lions for Washington quarterback Patrick Ramsey. The Lions are desperate for a replacement for Joey Harrington and have the money to make a deal.

It sure looks like Minnesota will be playing this season without QB Daunte Culpepper, who isn't a good fit for the west-coast offense being installed by new head coach Brad Childress. The Vikings could pay him his bonus money and then trade him. Well, that would be the smart thing to do.

It was a good deal for both parties, but it's great to hear a Pro Bowl player like LB Derrick Brooks talk about wanting to end his career where it began when talking about restructuring a contract. Not enough players look to their legacy at the end of a career; all they see is a chance to earn another million or two when they've already put $20 million in the bank.

San Diego has the cap room to keep QB Drew Brees now, but they probably will cut him loose this weekend.

Its all relative. Portis and Moss will certainly help, but hes a second year pro with no game experience (save preseason) going against players like Ty Law, Jevon Kearse and other NFL stars (and all were collegiate standouts). Thats a lot different from a redshirt senior playing against Arkansas.

So I'm curious...when would you let a QB play with "no game experience". Three years...what difference would it make he still wouldn't have "game experience" Four years...ever? At some point you just have to cut the chord and find out if he can do it. He's had a year's worth of learning and an all star supporting cast. May as well see what he can do.

The Czar, John Czarnecki, of FOX sports seems to think the Lions might give the Jets some competition for the services of Ramsey.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5395320

Notes and thoughts

It looks like the Jets will have to fight the Detroit Lions for Washington quarterback Patrick Ramsey. The Lions are desperate for a replacement for Joey Harrington and have the money to make a deal.

this is kind of funny i just put this exact quote and link one page ago in this thread and i put at the bottom lets see if following the rules and posting in a current thread instead of starting a new one actually works. i was trying to prove a point as to why so many people start new threads. and it worked because not only did i not get one single response you did'nt even see it before posting the same thing. ps im not trying to rip you just wanted to prove a point.

What? Who wasn't/isn't a character guy? Your post makes no sense. If you're referring to Ramsey - the Skins aren't looking to trade him because of character (although the fact he demanded a trade when Gibbs signed Brunell might have given the team pause or the public way he emptied out his locker at the end of the season) - they want to trade him b/c he hasn't proven himself on the field and they believe he costs too much to be the #3 QB. If you're referring to Campbell - it's a little early to shoot him don't you think? Especially when Gibbs gushes about the guy and his potential.

Kyle Boller (Gave up a 2nd and a first)

JP Losman (can't find the exact deal, but traded with Dallas)

Sure, it doesn't happen in the NFL... :doh:

Jason

Bollar is not a good comparison, for a number of reasons. Losman, I don't know. Neither has done very well.

Bollar is not a good comparison, for a number of reasons. Losman, I don't know. Neither has done very well.

They are both perfect comparisons for the statement you made. There maybe other factors for why they don't compare well to Ramsey but you made a pretty narrow statement that dealt only with draft position and these two guys both fit the bill where that is concerned.

redskinss, sorry man I missed your previous post saying the exact same thing. Didn't mean to post a duplicate.

no reason to apolagize. im just trying to figure out a way to help solve the problem this board has been having and i think i might have a few ideas. im just trying to figure out how to word them before i post it.

I guess we are lucky in that case that 3rd string qbs rarely are called on to start any significant time then right??

If you have absolutely no doubts we'll be fine with just Brunell and Campbell, there isn't anything I can say to change your mind. :koolaid:

If you have absolutely no doubts we'll be fine with just Brunell and Campbell, there isn't anything I can say to change your mind. :koolaid:

I have absolutely no doubts, that in a typical season unless there is some EXTREME extenuating circumstances, that the #3 QB sees little to no play time. That being the premise, a vet who is capable of only holding a clipboard and relaying plays is MORE than adequate for the #3 role. Even a rookie QB that is drafted in late rounds is fine in that circumstance. If PR stays on the team, like it or not he will be the #3 QB. No amount of griping or you saying it's unfair will be changing that. If you think that is drinking koolaid then...there isn't anything I can say to change your mind.

So why would you trade him? If the entire league thinks he's worthless (and yes, a 5th round pick is pretty much worthless), you'd have to agree with that assessment to trade him. Don't the Skins need him more than they need a 5th round pick who, unless you believe in miracles, won't even make the squad?

And there is great value in keeping him this year even though he'll be an FA next year. He's an experienced veteran backup QB. The Skins NEED an experienced veteran backup QB, so if you trade Ramsey for nothing, then you're stuck having to replace him -- and I'm willing to bet that the Skins can't find an experienced QB as good as Ramsey for as little as they're paying him, so there won't be any cap relief in the end.

There's no league rule that says you have to have a veteran backup who has started X amount of games. If there is a rule, I think it goes something like "don't go into a season with 3 QBs who have never started a game."

Bill Parcells went into last season with Tony Romo sits to pee and Drew Henson behind Bledsoe - 1 career start total between them. Mike Shannahan had Brad Van Pelt (a true rookie) and only Brad Van Pelt backing up Jake the Snake last season. Mike Holmgren had Seneca Wallace and David Greene backing up Hasselbeck. 0 starts total for those guys. Before acquiring Flutie last year, Bill Belicheck felt comfortable with Rohan Davey as Tom Brady's backup for a year.

Those would be some pretty fine coaches who don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that you have to have any proven player as a backup. Would it be nice to keep Ramsey in a perfect world? Sure. But we're not talking about Trent Dilfer who's happy as a pig to hold the clipboard and collect a paycheck. We're talking about a player who wants to and deserves to start somewhere. Don't kid yourself - there is a market for him and it's going to get competitive real soon.

And I don't disagree with you that a 5th is simply not enough for the insurance Ramsey provides. But if we're talking about a first day pick next month, I do it. If we are talking a 5 and a conditional first day next year I do it. There's definitely a line. I just don't draw it at a 2nd rounder.

I'm not arguing their performance, just your statement:

Nobody ever bets as much on a late first round QB as this team appears to betting on Campbell. Never. It does not happen in the NFL.

How does Boller not apply here? They gave up more than we did for Campbell, and they really had no one to fall back on. (Redman was pretty much done at that point)

Now, how are we betting more than Baltimore did, when we actually could sit Campbell for a year at least, and we have a proven veteran guy on the team already?

Course, Losman is a better comparison, since they had Drew Bledsoe when they drafted him. Of course, now he is gone.

So in comparison, those teams bet MORE on their young QBs than we did. Ergo, yes it does happen in the NFL.

Jason

Archived