Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Thinking that suicide was the ultimate act of cowardice what what I thought when I was younger and less mature. Before my father in law was involved in a murder-suicide.

No one can know what someone who commits suicide was thinking when they did it. Most of the time though, it isn't that they think that's the easiest way out of their problems.

Suicide happens when you think that your hole is too deep. Not only are you helping yourself by suicide, you're helping your friends, your family, coworkers, anyone you've ever touched. That you aren't in only a bad place personally, but you're actively making your entire world a worse place because you're in it.

It's not something I'd ever consider, but to brush it off as attention whoring is pretty short sighted.

Nowhere did I say anything derogatory about suicide.

Nor did I call it an act of cowardice.

I'm merely saying that Netflix appeared to be "rewarding" Robin Williams suicide because every single other actor that has died since Netflix has come out has not had their own category.

That includes, David Bowie and as of this minute, Alan Rickman.

I think that's a shame on them.

RIP Alan Rickman but if you aren't a Die Hard or Harry Potter fan, you probably don't know who he is.

You can't compare his career and cultural impact with Robin Williams. That's why Williams got a nod from Netflix, it wasn't rewarding suicide.

Raise your kids not to think of suicide in a glorifying way the same way you would for people that may think school

Shooters do it for attention, which I think is far more the case than suicide.

It's a broad statement but people don't commit suicide for attention. Even the small number that may think they do, it's more actually the result of extreme depression or mental health disorder in one form or another that is the root cause of it.

Quite an assumption.

Robin Williams is one of the most recognized names/actors of all time.  I personally never liked him but he had a ton of hit movies, oscars, grammys, golden globes.

I honestly had to google Alan Rickman when I heard he died, I knew who he was when I saw his pick but never knew his name.

And David Bowie?  LOL.

You definitely have an agenda.

Ask 100 people if they had to watch every movie by Alan Rickman, Robin Williams, or David Bowie the answer would be overwhelming Robin Williams.  But you probably wont agree.

I don't have an agenda.

I normally drop one liners in here every now and again to vent or make folks laugh.

I just thought it was interesting. 

Maybe it was "quite the assumption" that Netflix would get Rickman or Bowie movies for me to watch over the long weekend since they did it for Robin Williams.

I'm certainly not here to convince anyone of anything. 

But I guess that's what folks say when the dude in here talking is making sense and is probably right?

Damn, Dan Haggerty died.  Childhood favorite.  Maybe he will get a Netflix channel.

Dude was legit when I was a kid.

Wow... solid.

And I was the immature one a minute ago.

Have fun with your thread fellas.

She's out of the MRI, in her own room now (yay!). Two iv lines out, head port (think of a tube coming out the top of your head) is now removed. She's in much better spirits. Head bandage was off after the mri and I saw the incision for the first time. Oh wow. Shook me to my knees. Probably 10 inches long (curved). They make a crescent mom shape so they can peel the scalp back, cut a square out of the skull, and get to the tumor. Unbelievable this girl was off to school Thursday am, playing with her sisters that afternoon, and 48 hours later has a tumor the size of an orange found and removed from her brain. Waiting on the body mri results and then pathology sometime next week. Signs point to chemo but so far so good.

She's out of the MRI, in her own room now (yay!). Two iv lines out, head port (think of a tube coming out the top of your head) is now removed. She's in much better spirits. Head bandage was off after the mri and I saw the incision for the first time. Oh wow. Shook me to my knees. Probably 10 inches long (curved). They make a crescent mom shape so they can peel the scalp back, cut a square out of the skull, and get to the tumor. Unbelievable this girl was off to school Thursday am, playing with her sisters that afternoon, and 48 hours later has a tumor the size of an orange found and removed from her brain. Waiting on the body mri results and then pathology sometime next week. Signs point to chemo but so far so good.

Prayers out to you.  Not sure how I would handle it.  It takes strength and support.

Nowhere did I say anything derogatory about suicide.

Nor did I call it an act of cowardice.

I'm merely saying that Netflix appeared to be "rewarding" Robin Williams suicide because every single other actor that has died since Netflix has come out has not had their own category.

That includes, David Bowie and as of this minute, Alan Rickman.

It seemed to me, that your line of thinking was that suicide was a cry for attention. That children shouldn't see famous people, role models, deified after they commit suicide. I understand that line of thinking, and I agree with you to an extent. It's difficult to explain to children suicide. It's a difficult concept to grasp, even as an adult. When trying to paint suicide as black and white (as we most always have to do with children) it becomes difficult.

I don't think a lot of time it's a cry for attention. For help, love and understanding, yes. That's all.

I wasn't trying to say that you're immature, or less equal to anyone here either. I like you a lot and respect your opinion on this board. I wish you'd join in the RTT revelries more often.

As far as Netflix, I wish they'd do more personal stuff like that. Even celebrities that are living. A Sean Connery collection or Brad Pitt collection. All of the Bond Films, stuff like that.

I have plenty of ideas of how Netflix could improve their service. I disagree that shaming them for their tribute to one of our generation's greatest comic actors who committed suicide is the right way to go though.

Opposing teams' fans coming into my home teams' stadium/arena starting chants and **** pisses me off so ****ing much.. Yes they have every right to cheer and have a good time, but in the moment of the game I wish there was a secret service patrolling during the game and round them up and beat them beyond recognition.

When things like that happen for real its atrocious and I'm very sympathetic, so I guess its just heat of the moment feelings. Still really bugs me though.

Hope for the best bro!  Abby is a tough girl, she got this!  Continued prayers her way and you and your fams way broski!  

Archived