Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

sort of. the movie reference is from stand by me. but that's, "I was 12 going on 13...."

I've seen dead bodies in funeral homes and such before...but today was the first time seeing a dead body where there shouldn't be a dead body.

kinda puts a damper on your day, hope ya didn't get any on ya.

I've yet to ever run into anyone who was even remotely offended by me wishing them a Merry Christmas.

But I still haven't gone a single year without some jerk making sure to take the extra time to "correct" me for wishing them Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays.

"Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green

Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain"

Always loved that song, but I heard it for the first time while smacked last night.  I spent a good 30 minutes thinking about what Jolene must look like, based on the lyrics.  All I could come up with is Bryce Dallas Howard or Lotte Verbeek.  

I posted about that on Facebook a while back and still could never find out exactly where this comes from. I got some agreeing responses based on anecdotal stuff. But I also got some folks, relatives included, who made it a point to respond with things like "I choose to say Merry Christmas". When I asked about why they seemed to have an issue with Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings or something like that, the answer was along the lines of "Because people are trying to shove the idea down our throats that saying Merry Christmas is not politically correct," That sentiment was echoed from some others.

Honestly, I would agree with them if I knew who these apparent PC crusaders on this topic were. I've yet to meet a single one! I don't think saying Merry Christmas is at all politically incorrect. A little shortsighted maybe, just considering all of the holidays that take place in December. But I don't see it as being offensive in any way. And I've yet to meet "All these people" that apparently do.

Chew and Page - I think it's selfish personally (acting hostile or upset when people say Happy Holidays to you).

But that (selfishness) goes along with my thinking on the American Christian message, mostly. You're either with us - or you need to convert. 

As if this time of year is only about Christians. 

Why'd you mention me?  LOL.  

I'm about as anti-religion as you can get, but I wish you and everybody else on ES a very, merry Christmas!  Good Kwanza and Happy Festivus, while I'm at it.  ;)   Hope our Jewish ES'ers enjoyed their Hanukkah.  

"Happy Holidays" and "Holiday parties" can go straight to hell, if there is one.  :)

Chew and Page - I think it's selfish personally (acting hostile or upset when people say Happy Holidays to you).

But that (selfishness) goes along with my thinking on the American Christian message, mostly. You're either with us - or you need to convert. 

As if this time of year is only about Christians. 

Oh certainly. I understand the general subtext. Most of the time, on social networking when this stuff gets posted it's usually associated with some kind of message pointing towards a connection between America and Christianity or a "War on Christmas". I personally think it's just a jerk move in general to essentially tell folks that their well wishes are incorrect.

But typically since I try to keep my circles of folks I associate with pretty open to multiple political, religious, and philosophical ideologies. I feel like it helps me maintain perspective. I can usually see both sides of the spectrum. But I've still yet to see ANYTHING from a perspective that claims Merry Christmas is not PC.

sort of. the movie reference is from stand by me. but that's, "I was 12 going on 13...."

I've seen dead bodies in funeral homes and such before...but today was the first time seeing a dead body where there shouldn't be a dead body.

Yeah, it's weird to watch people die. Changes you.

I miss being able to sit up without making sound effects.

I offer myself as sacrifice to the Mods Almighty.

LOL, I doubt the mods would do/say anything.  The OP wanted those out of the thread, so do most of us.  It's just best that way :)  But I don't have a problem with you dropping that thought.  

You aren't pushing an agenda.  It's the random poster that might come across the post, jump in here and try to start a debate about it that is annoying.  

LOL, I doubt the mods would do/say anything.  The OP wanted those out of the thread, so do most of us.  It's just best that way :)  But I don't have a problem with you dropping that thought.  

You aren't pushing an agenda.  It's the random poster that might come across the post, jump in here and try to start a debate about it that is annoying.  

Lol Maybe that person will be the magical PC unicorn that shuns all that say Merry Christmas that I've been looking for.

I might be the only on the planet who is a huge Star Wars geek and won't see the movie until 2016. 

I'm with ya.  It's the busiest time of year for me, gonna be slammed through February.  Will have to work OT on weekends, late nights, etc.  Probably not going to get a chance to see it until it comes to Blu-Ray, Vudu or iTunes.

Archived