Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

My friend posted a picture of a 1 year old pit bull female. Wandered into her parents garage in Fresno. Says she is friendly and adorable. I'm thinking about adopting her. Everyone I've spoken to is like oh uhhhh pitbull huh?

This will be my first dog. I am kind of a mellow person but like hiking and stuff. I work 5 days a week. I have a big backyard but no doggydoor or anything. No side yard either. Any suggestions?

dat moment when...

you take a sip of what you're expecting to be an ice cold mountain dew...only to realize that they screwed up the fountain soda mix and your drink tastes like sparkling water.

shirley-temple-angry-o.gif

My friend posted a picture of a 1 year old pit bull female. Wandered into her parents garage in Fresno. Says she is friendly and adorable. I'm thinking about adopting her. Everyone I've spoken to is like oh uhhhh pitbull huh?

This will be my first dog. I am kind of a mellow person but like hiking and stuff. I work 5 days a week. I have a big backyard but no doggydoor or anything. No side yard either. Any suggestions?

I've talked about this before on here. Hell I bet I even had damn near real-time posts on here about it right after it happened. Wasn't that long ago.

For the longest I defended pits. My goto line about dog attacks, aggressive dogs, whatever was "It's not the dog, it's the owner."

Years of delivering pizzas, I came across every dog there is. From little yappy Chihuahuas to a wolf hybrid sticking it's nose damn near up my ass. I only got attacked once. Wanna guess what kind of dog it was? Changed my opinion real quick.

On a Sidenote, about a week before I was attacked, a 17 year old kid in Silver Spring (IIRC) had been attacked and killed by HIS two dogs in his backyard. I had several conversations about it where I said I don't understand how someone can be killed by a dog. Yeah I found out how real quick. That **** is scary. And damn if a dog barking behind the door I just knocked on didn't have me tensing up for about a year afterward. That **** is traumatic. (And wanna guess what kind of dogs the kid had that killed him?)

At some point things stop being a coincidence and just become reality.

Don't see why anyone would have a pit anyway, unless they needed an attack dog to guard their property. I've never thought of them as pets.

Funny enough, I've been chased by damn near every kind of dog, stemming from my childhood days. The one dog that didn't try to **** with me was a pit, that was at this girls house. It was still aggressive as hell though.

Damn,lol.

They must like Peruvian meat

pointandlaugh6.gif

For what its worth...my roommate in the Air Force had a pitbull.  had it since it was a few weeks old.  the dog was spoiled, ate nothing but fancy wet food, got daily belly rubs, and a ton of toys.  It was a very friendly and loving pup.

A few years later, his girlfriend came home from work, and it immediately rushed and attacked her, she needed several stiches.  Six months later, it attacked and killed the neigbhor's dog.  it was put down a few weeks after that.

Pitbulls are aggresive SOBs, its in their DNA.  My friend's pit was so friendly that it would roll over if you approached it for a belly rub.  yet it attacked his girl and killed another dog. 

Thanks for the advice.  Yeah...I guess it's more about me wanting to have a dog than have a pit.  I just bought a home and it has a huge backyard that just screams for a dog.  I would love to have a medium sized dog with energy to take to the beach/hiking/etc.  But I also want a dog that people feel comfortable around.  I don't want people shying away from her cuz she's a pit.  I also don't want to get a dog then get lazy about it.  Walks, food, vet, etc.  I also do a fair amount of traveling and don't have anyone to look after her.  I dunno....I gotta let the girl know today if I don't want her cuz her parents are holding her for me.

This is the pic she posted to facebook -

Word_zps514b1cf7.jpg

Anyone need an adorable, super affectionate pitbull puppy? She snuck into my parents garage in Clovis. Bobby took her to the vet and she doesn't have a chip, but she is healthy. She's a year old and house trained. She's very loving with people and okay with other dogs. My parents already have 2 dogs and can't keep her... Please help us find her a home!

Another thing that would throw me off is the age. Just a year old but that's the formative year for a dog. Not only is she a pit but you also have no idea where she came from or what she's been through. You know, who knows. She might be the sweetest dog in the world and you'll cherish every moment with her. But, for me personally, that's just too big a risk. Too many redflags and too much unknown. Your first dog and your new house, I'd want to make sure it's perfect.

For what its worth...my roommate in the Air Force had a pitbull.  had it since it was a few weeks old.  the dog was spoiled, ate nothing but fancy wet food, got daily belly rubs, and a ton of toys.  It was a very friendly and loving pup.

A few years later, his girlfriend came home from work, and it immediately rushed and attacked her, she needed several stiches.  Six months later, it attacked and killed the neigbhor's dog.  it was put down a few weeks after that.

Pitbulls are aggresive SOBs, its in their DNA.  My friend's pit was so friendly that it would roll over if you approached it for a belly rub.  yet it attacked his girl and killed another dog. 

Yeah, there's no changing their natural instinct. Dogs like that are meant to be violent. I wouldn't remotely mess with one unless I was taking care of it from its infancy. Even then its probably a risk.

Edit, Gac beat me to it.

Only dog I had was named Midnight. I think it was a Lab and Alaskan Husky, and he was black. Loved that dog to death. Had it when it was a puppy and it grew to be huge. 

First day of 3rd Grade, well actually that overnight. Police raided our house because sister boyfriend thought he can outsmart the police by hiding there (idiot). Anyways, they took our dog that day. That was like 17 years or so ago,  but I'm still pissed.

But yeah, I ain't messing with no Pitbull. lol

Archived