Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I hate to be the conspiracy nut but thinking that "conspiracy theorists" should be taken seriously because they might do something dangerous is just scare tactics used by the news to try to discourage free thinking

This may be true to an extent, but it would be unwise to turn your back on those who hold those beliefs and would take it to extremes to keep it from happening.  Better to keep an eye on a peaceful guy than forget where the turd went with all those bullets.

Of course the universe has life outside of this planet ? Right ? Plenty of suns, moons, etc.

That life is perhaps so far away that we will never find it though.

Plausible.

Yet I have no proof to support it.  edit: and it is also likely that by the time we get there, they will be lost to history.

Mythbusters would approve my message LOL.

Of course the universe has life outside of this planet ? Right ? Plenty of suns, moons, etc.

That life is perhaps so far away that we will never find it though.

I think about that often. The answer is that no one knows.

I wonder about how this earth was formed and trip out. We are one planet that happened to form so many species.

Sin, out of curiosity...what was your UFO theory?

Earth visitation.... crop circles, cattle mutilations, alien adbuctions. There are many alien theories out there (Annunaki/Ancient Astronaut theory probably being the most popular atm", but the one I subscribed to was the standard "Greys/Gov't coverup" which (according to some ufologists) begins with the development of nuclear energy, and Hiroshima, which they think distant civilizations may have been able to detect. That and the gov't knew about alien abductions, but couldn't stop it, so covered it up.

And what made you 'wake up'.

The fact that even after tons and tons of transcripts/ "Eye witness accounts" (which should be taken with a grain of salt)," and video footage, there is still very little to go off of, you are left with very little substance, and a lot of hackery. And it just wasn't worth my time. Then I went into therapy (for other reasons), and my world view changed not long after ('10)

And then you come to the realization that:

1.) People will always see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, etc. I'm bipolar. While I don't hear voices, I have very vivid dreams, some that I swore were real, so real that I would've destroyed a lie detector test. But they were just dreams, brought on by many factors

2.) Its been over 60 years since the UFO craze started, and not once have aliens shown up on anyone's doorstep and asked for cookies. There's also been no mothership and alien fighters raining down proton blasts on us from the sky either. Nothings happened yet. It probably won't, ever. No there are plenty of theories that explain why that may not be, but quite frankly, I've heard them all, each one being crazier (and full of holes) than the last.

3.) The  gov't will never tell you anything. There will never be full on disclosure. Every ufologist/ufo nut put their eggs in the Obama basket, and it was a dud. Everyone put their eggs in the Steven Greer basket, and he went nuts. 2012 happened, and nope, nothing. Whatever was supposed to/has happened, clearly it isn't happening anymore. We are left to endlessly speculate as to the why, but quite frankly, I'm done.

For the record, I think it is entirely plausible that life exists elsewhere. 

Beyond plausible imo. More like mathematical certainty. We're talking something like 10 billion trillion stars in the known universe. I mean just think about how many planetary bodies/moons are in our own system. Then lets say like less than a quarter of all planets orbiting all total stars are in the Goldilocks zone. Lets say a quarter of those evolved from microbial life to intelligent life.

That is still a staggering amount of planets. Staggering. I absolutely believe there is not only life out there, but intelligent life. We just haven't found it.

While my interest in the extraterrestrial (on Earth) has died down, I remain a firm believer of the paranormal/supernatural. That is a lot harder to explain and a whole other can of worms, and its probably for another site as well. Cryptozoology interests me as well.

edit: I tried looking up any post you had on this, but couldn't find one...

Would've been from over 5 years ago probably, so its more than likely buried in the archives somewhere

I hate to be the conspiracy nut but thinking that "conspiracy theorists" should be taken seriously because they might do something dangerous is just scare tactics used by the news to try to discourage free thinking

Well free thinking is subjective. Ones mans "free thinking" may be another mans "Complete and utter bull****". Alex Jones bots will tell you until they're blue in the face about how much "Free thinking" they do. You're not freely thinking when you're operating the way someone wants you to, furthering their agenda. Thats the thing that makes conspiracy theories/theorists fold like a house of cards.

You have to have a filter. If you don't, all your free thinking is going to do is get you on the unemployment line, broke, having spent your last dime tripping off of shrooms, and banging a one legged gypsy in a hippie village somewhere in the wilderness. There are people out there who live to make a buck off your "Free thinking," and there are people who just want to believe because they have to, and have nothing else gives them purpose in life.

I read a lot over at VeilOfReality and Sacred Text. I don't buy all of it. It definitely gives you pause though. It makes you wonder how all of it can be miscontrued, or flat out false. But at the end of the day, you have to use your brain and exercise common sense (which I admit, not everyone has)

Unfortunately, the probability that life somewhere is advanced enough to contact us while also being able to communicate and even perceive our existence is very very low.

Yeah... Very low by our Earth standards.

Which kind of means very little when taking the entire universe into account, considering that we're still basically an ant futzing around mindlessly inside a tank in a kids daycare

Yeah... Very low by our Earth standards.

Which kind of means very little when taking the entire universe into account, considering that we're still basically an ant futzing around mindlessly inside a tank in a kids daycare

Agreed, and the probability we actually become advanced enough to explore the outer reaches of the universe is also very low.

I just think there are a decent amount of plausible theories (I'm not talking about reptiles and the moon) such as that the Syrians were gased by the rebels and not their government, I don't think that's too much of a stretch. I think a lot of theories are more simple things like that. Another one is that we are so interested in controlling the Mediterranean because that's where most of Russias oil pipelines come in and we want to be able to control that.

Now I think that these are all plausible things but I guess to some they could be crazy. But I feel you can't even say any of those things or you immediately get put in the reptile JFK moonlanding tinfoil hat section. People are trained to dismiss anything that doesn't go along with what they think as crazy. An example I have of this is about a year ago my sisters iPhone stopped working and she was going to throw it out. I told her that she should sell it to one of the websites that will take it for the gold in the phone. Well she didn't know phones had gold in them so I was called crazy and was told to stop with my conspiracy theories.

Agreed, and the probability we actually become advanced enough to explore the outer reaches of the universe is also very low.

Dude......  :lol:

Thats rich

Most futuristic space exploration shows/movies don't even deal with exploring the entire universe... Just various star systems within a galaxy.

I dunno how one even quantifies "Outer reaches of the universe". It might as well be infinite. It is a giant unknown. For all we know there is probably a huge floating poster of Gandalf that says "You Shall Not Pass"after a certain distance.

Just talking about mining our entire solar system at some point is wild enough. Forget interstellar space. Even travelling at the speed of light wouldn't make up the amount of vastness between galaxies

I'll settle for an indoor food court, basketball court, football field, and a strip club on Mars (which we end up terra forming)

Dude...... :lol:

Thats rich

Most futuristic space exploration shows/movies don't even deal with exploring the entire universe... Just various star systems within a galaxy.

I dunno how one even quantifies "Outer reaches of the universe". It might as well be infinite. It is a giant unknown. For all we know there is probably a huge floating poster of Gandalf that says "You Shall Not Pass".

Just talking about mning our entire solar system at some point is wild enough. Forget interstellar space. Even travelling at the speed of light wouldn't make up the amount of vastness between galaxies

Lol, well I meant the outer reaches of neighboring galaxies where life may be able to survive.

I just think there are a decent amount of plausible theories (I'm not talking about reptiles and the moon) such as that the Syrians were gased by the rebels and not their government, I don't think that's too much of a stretch. I think a lot of theories are more simple things like that. Another one is that we are so interested in controlling the Mediterranean because that's where most of Russias oil pipelines come in and we want to be able to control that.

Now I think that these are all plausible things but I guess to some they could be crazy. But I feel you can't even say any of those things or you immediately get put in the reptile JFK moonlanding tinfoil hat section. People are trained to dismiss anything that doesn't go along with what they think as crazy. An example I have of this is about a year ago my sisters iPhone stopped working and she was going to throw it out. I told her that she should sell it to one of the websites that will take it for the gold in the phone. Well she didn't know phones had gold in them so I was called crazy and was told to stop with my conspiracy theories.

Personally I wouldn't even put firm belief of alien visitation on the same level with stuff like The Iluminatti/Reptilian/New World Order type ****. There are different levels of ridiculousness when it comes to conspiracy theories. They can't all be lumped into the same category, sure. My reaction can change from laughing, to shaking my head, to fearing for your well being, to getting the hell away from you as quickly as possible.

I'll say it again..... There are people out there that are Bat. ****. Crazy. Anyone who comes across them will never view every conspiracy theorist the same way again.

The moon landing thing is funny, because there are people who believe that we never went period, that we went but faked pictures, and that we went, and were chased off the moon, etc. That would probably lead credence to the David Icke brand of conspiracy theorist.

Lol, well I meant the outer reaches of neighboring galaxies where life may be able to survive.

Yeah, probably not.

Like I said, I could settle for a terra formed Mars. Won't be long before things start changing (a lot more than they already are) here. We are facing a doomsday clock to being able to even develop the technology to get off this planet before it is doneski. I give us another 150 years maybe. Thats before we aren't obliterated by an asteroid, or one of the other eleventybillion things that could kill us before then.

hopefully you're not running away from me lol

the most "out there" thing that I think is plausible that I consider is that fox news is ran by the left to destroy the Republicans because I think its impossible for a channel to have that low self awareness. I mean everyone jokes about them fox news destroys itself. It would make sense if it was a hit. Or some of the repub leaders are getting paid by the left to say crap. Why would u pick your political party if you're some old geezer over a check for some fat dough. All you got to do is say something stupid old man.

I'm sure people have been bought off to wreck their own party or campaigns.

side note that show catfish must have turned eharmony into a massive troll breeding ground

the most "out there" thing that I think is plausible that I consider is that fox news is ran by the left to destroy the Republicans because I think its impossible for a channel to have that low self awareness. I mean everyone jokes about them fox news destroys itself. It would make sense if it was a hit. Or some of the repub leaders are getting paid by the left to say crap. Why would u pick your political party if you're some old geezer over a check for some fat dough. All you got to do is say something stupid old man.

I'm sure people have been bought off to wreck their own party or campaigns.

While my wife was in LA looking for an apartment for us this spring, I lived with my mother in law and Fox News was on more often than not.

I think my favorite moment of the hours that I watched was this one guy who made the following argument for Jeb Bush's candidacy: "at least he isn't crazy!"

Not sure I would go as far to say that the channel is purposely destructive, but it is, at the very least, inadvertently so. I'm not sure why any self-respecting Republican would watch that trash.

Archived