Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

My daughter turns 1 tomorrow. Such a surreal, amazing, and of course exhausting year. 

Props to anyone who does this as a single parent, without family support, or in poverty. I have no idea how they do it and I respect the hell out of those parents. I have all the advantages in the world and it still is hard.

My daughter turns 1 tomorrow. Such a surreal, amazing, and of course exhausting year.

Props to anyone who does this as a single parent, without family support, or in poverty. I have no idea how they do it and I respect the hell out of those parents. I have all the advantages in the world and it still is hard.

Congrats

Yeah I agree with Kosher. A lot of people probably still have that article/cover. Don't know if that piece will be worth much right now, one, because it wasn't that long ago, and 2, because he admitted to cheating, which will also drive down the value.

Now if you had something tangible like a glove (which you'd probably never get unless you either held him at gunpoint, or raided Cooperstown, if the glove/jersey is there.

Which reminds me. My dad and I, along with a few more relatives, combed the first 2 levels of  my grandmothers house after she passed last year, and found a ton of stuff, mainly old jewelry, a 40's era typewriter, a preserved, LIFE Magazine issue that covered the Kennedy assassination, and a recording of some kind that presumably  belonged to my grandfather, who fought in France in WWII.

Speaking of kids, I was in Subway today, and overheard (or underheard, considering they were loud as ****) a bunch of kids, all female, none looking older than 16, talking in depth about sex. Really in depth. Head, aggressiveness, hair pulling, and overall skill.

Now as a 25 year old guy, it doesn't shock me at all. I'm ol enough to remember what it (and I) was like in high school, middle school, and even elementary for gods sake (one girl in 4th grade was over developed and used to play with her titties. Last time I inquired about her ['09] with old friends, she was working on her 2nd child), but on the flip side, being buddies with quite a few older cats who have children around 10,11,12, and being a guy who will more than likely have children at some point, let me just say that raising a girl in todays world is probably the scariest idea imaginable to me, short of trekking butt naked through the amazon rainforest, or ending up in a heavily armed hostage crisis.

God less all you dudes with little girls. I already know I'd be the dude openly polishing the gun on the front porch every time I smelled a boy coming down the street.... Then the flip side is that daughter would hate the hell out of me. 

Best case scenario is I have a son first, then wait a couple years, so he can beat the **** out of anybody that wrongs her, or grabs her ass, or tries to stalk her, or dares to prematurely end his own life by beating her. Any female in my family that gets wronged always knows that she has 20 uncles, aunts, and cousins combined that will not hesitate to hunt the dude down and destroy them.

I can't imagine that it's worth more than 20-30 bucks. I have that paper, and I have the one when Magic retired, and when Jordan initially retired. I think they are cool, but I really don't see them as valuable. Maybe 50 years from now.

If I read it right he doesn't have the paper, he has the plate from the printing press that printed the paper.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

If I read it right he doesn't have the paper, he has the plate from the printing press that printed the paper. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

That is correct. It's the printing press plate of the Washington Post.

I don't know if it's worth anything or not. I don't know how much of a big deal Cal Ripken's games played streak is. It was a big deal at the time and it's coming up on 20 years since it happened. If it isn't worth much then I'll just keep it for myself.

For now I would probably keep it for yourself anyway.  I doubt it's any more valuable than the comparable ones you saw on eBay for $50-100, which wouldn't be enough money for me to even ponder selling it.

Some collectibles like Beanie Babies eventually hit a bubble where people get tired of them or they're overproduced or both, and the value plummets.

Even if it doesn't skyrocket I imagine the value of that plate has nowhere to go but up unless baseball starts to go the way of the dodo.  Even then people might be interested in it.

If I read it right he doesn't have the paper, he has the plate from the printing press that printed the paper.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I misread it. Thank you. I still don't believe it has amazing value yet. I would hold on to it as you later suggested also.

That is correct. It's the printing press plate of the Washington Post.

I don't know if it's worth anything or not. I don't know how much of a big deal Cal Ripken's games played streak is. It was a big deal at the time and it's coming up on 20 years since it happened. If it isn't worth much then I'll just keep it for myself.

That's really cool. I would not sell it. I would simply own it and love that I have it.

What kind of campus are you hanging around at?

Any one that has women is my guess.

That's really cool. I would not sell it. I would simply own it and love that I have it.

I've had it since 1995. A guy who was friends with my parents (that worked at Washington Post) brought it home for me. Very cool of him. I've always thought it was cool and worth more to me than someone would give me for it. If it was worth thousands I'd consider parting ways, but I doubt it is worth that much.

Hopefully one day I'll own a home that I can have a proper man cave in. I've got so much sports stuff sitting around right now just waiting to be put on a wall.

Billy Dee was one of the first guys that people said this about...'He's not black'

Sin, keep your options open. Greek, Turkish, Chilean, South African, etc. Trust me.

You are a young guy...wait on the right one. You'll know when you find her.

Whenever I periodically glance into the GoT thread, everyone is speculating over what's going to happen next. They do realize that all of the information they are looking for is right there in the books right? And so much more.

So if you love a show, and it's all based on very famous books. Books that people celebrate and love and that everyone says are good. How do you not go and read them? I don't understand how the show can actually still be a mystery.

Sin, keep your options open. Greek, Turkish, Chilean, South African, etc. Trust me.

You are a young guy...wait on the right one. You'll know when you find her.

Yeah, Lebanese, Columbian, Brazilian, Israeli, Pakistani as well. I'll add Romanian to that list too. Good lord. I love this area so much. So many nationalities represented.

Whenever I periodically glance into the GoT thread, everyone is speculating over what's going to happen next. They do realize that all of the information they are looking for is right there in the books right? And so much more.

So if you love a show, and it's all based on very famous books. Books that people celebrate and love and that everyone says are good. How do you not go and read them? I don't understand how the show can actually still be a mystery.

Speaking for myself (though I don't watch Game Of Thrones), I like suspense/mystery. If I have an idea... Any idea at all of whats coming, the reaction just isn't the same.

Typically, if I read a book, and a show/movie comes later, I almost have to force myself to watch sometimes. I think its better the other way around, when you go from watching the film/show, to reading the book, where there is more substance/depth, and not everything is rushed. Often times there are intriguing characters completely written out of the show/movie.

Edit, thats also why I don't like spoilers, or excess previews and tv spots. **** all the entrees. Just give me the main course.

Yeah, Lebanese, Columbian, Brazilian, Israeli, Pakistani as well. I'll add Romanian to that list too. Good lord. I love this area so much. So many nationalities represented.

Edit, thats also why I don't like spoilers, or excess previews and tv spots. **** all the entrees. Just give me the main course.

I don't see colors or religion.

That second thing you mentioned...those are called appetizers. Main course is the entree.

I'm infatuated with a Bulgarian woman I met. Blew away any kind of expectations I ever had for a woman.

She does not want you...move on.

I don't see colors or religion.

Neither do I, friend. Neither do I.

That second thing you mentioned...those are called appetizers. Main course is the entree.

Whatever.  :P

In that case, skip the bloomin' onion and give me the porterhouse.

I had sort of the opposite experience one time. (Or the same experience from the other end.)

In college my two roommates and I, plus our friend who may as well have been the fourth roommate, had a party for a pay-per-view boxing match one night. A few people come by, and one guy brings his two friends who happen to be black. The rest of us are white. Out of nowhere Fourth Roommate Guy drops the n-word casually and you could almost hear the record scratch sound effect as everybody looks at him.

He very obviously felt terrible about it, and I know for a fact he's not racist, but it was an awkward couple of minutes. There weren't any hard feelings I don't think.

I'm sorry but if you're dropping the n-word, you're racist. Period.

And I swear my biggest pet peeve is non-Black folks dropping "n-word", with the A. I don't care if you're white, Hispanic, Asian, whatever. No. Just no.

I'm selling stuff on eBay for the first time ever.

If anyone is looking for used PS2 games, a 2.1 computer speaker with a sub that bumps, a wireless rear surround speaker kit or a couple of zune 4gbs with a dock and car kit then holler at me. Gotta sell this ****. It's hard on the streets.

What PS2 games?

I've completely given up on owning/playing the next-gen systems. Why spend that type of money when there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of older games that are fantastic and I haven't played yet? I haven't turned on a console in months. So content with my SNES (or whatever) emulator on the smart phone. Playing Lufia and the Fortress of Doom right now. Great game. And for free.

Anyway, countdown has begun. 32 days until I move to Denver. I'm so torn.

Just found out that a good friend's two-year-old son went to the hospital last night, ended up airlifted from Warrenton to Fairfax Inova and right now they're about to start surgery to remove his appendix. Two years old and an appendicitis. Am I wrong or is that like super crazy young? How risky is the surgery? Or is this not that big of a deal? Anyone got any insight?

I'm sorry but if you're dropping the n-word, you're racist. Period.

And I swear my biggest pet peeve is non-Black folks dropping "n-word", with the A. I don't care if you're white, Hispanic, Asian, whatever. No. Just no.

Anyway, countdown has begun. 32 days until I move to Denver. I'm so torn.

Well that was the most bizarre aspect of the situation.  None of us, having spent three years living in close proximity with another, had ever heard him say it for any reason.  Never heard it since.  People say dumb stuff sometimes and I don't think you can say that one stupid moment outweighs the rest of what we know about him.

Regardless, I think your premise is faulty to begin with.

Archived