Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Most of my Giants hate back in 2007/08 was due to ignorant homers who claimed Tiki Barber was a Hall-Of-Fame candidate. The forum that the guy posted on no longer exists, and has been dead since 2008, so the hate really isn't there anymore.

Still dislike them due to NFC East rivalry, but I'm a lot more neutral than I was in 2007/08

Anyway, birthday today, and I have the dignity and pride not to beg celebrities for retweets :ols: HEY CAN YOU RETWEET ME PLEASE NOTED BIG NAME STAR IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

I don't roll like that

Welcome to 27, it's awesome. That's why I avoid my teams message boards, as far as I can tell 99% of every message board population is all homers or haters. So while I hate reading Giants homer/hater comments, I find other teams homer/haters very amusing, hence why I'm here.

So, I scrapped the Spartan themed tattoo I was planning, when it came time to put it on my body, I doubted it. That means I didn't want it as much as I thought I did. I do, however, like pieces of it that I want to keep.

I went back to the drawing board and thought about things I represent...

And I came up with a new tattoo idea.

Going on my upper back, on my left shoulder blade area...

A "triangle" of sorts (or could be a square). In the corners of the triangle are the words "Loyalty, Honor, Discipline".

Each word will have something to represent it as a picure. So for instance, under "honor" I want to put the Spartan Helmet I planned on getting on my other tattoo that I scrapped. Problem is, I can;t think of a lot of symbolism for discipline and loyalty.

Loyalty I was thinking of a tribal designed husky dog, or something of that nature. Tribal as it fits in with the phoenix on my right shoulder blade.

Then I'd connect the piece together using some kind of design that I'll leave to the artist. But if anyone has any (real) ideas to represent discipline and loyalty, toss 'em my way, please. I may or may not use them, but it at least could give me direction.

Thanks.

Then I'd connect the piece together using some kind of design that I'll leave to the artist. But if anyone has any (real) ideas to represent discipline and loyalty, toss 'em my way, please. I may or may not use them, but it at least could give me direction.

Thanks.

I think you'd do better to put the Helmet next to discipline, considering how they fought their battles (the phalanx). Honor could be like a throne or a crown, then loyalty could be something like the M-16 with dog tags hanging from it, like the Army and Marines do for brothers in arms who have been killed.

So, I scrapped the Spartan themed tattoo I was planning, when it came time to put it on my body, I doubted it. That means I didn't want it as much as I thought I did. I do, however, like pieces of it that I want to keep.

I went back to the drawing board and thought about things I represent...

And I came up with a new tattoo idea.

Going on my upper back, on my left shoulder blade area...

A "triangle" of sorts (or could be a square). In the corners of the triangle are the words "Loyalty, Honor, Discipline".

Each word will have something to represent it as a picure. So for instance, under "honor" I want to put the Spartan Helmet I planned on getting on my other tattoo that I scrapped. Problem is, I can;t think of a lot of symbolism for discipline and loyalty.

Loyalty I was thinking of a tribal designed husky dog, or something of that nature. Tribal as it fits in with the phoenix on my right shoulder blade.

Thanks.

For discipline I'd choose a sword, especially since it would go well with your Spartan helmet idea.

And I would choose shield for loyalty, not discipline. I'm going with the military theme. By shielding someone else, not yourself.

Wow. Great ideas already. I love the throne idea, Hitman. I would be uncomfortable with anything army related, because I didn't serve. It could be done as a tribute, but it still makes me uncomfortable. Those guys put their lives on the line, it's stupid, but I feel like its their right to put that stuff on their body, not mine. But I guess the same can be said about the crown and the helmet... But then again, "not hypocritical in the least" isn't one of the values I'm putting on my back.

I may rethink my stance on that one.

Royally,

If I go with the Shield, Sword and Helmet, it's essentially the same tattoo I had planned from before, just in a different shape. Though, it makes a lot of sense. :ols:

Good suggestion.

But I guess the same can be said about the crown and the helmet... But then again, "not hypocritical in the least" isn't one of the values I'm putting on my back.

Little difference though. You couldn't really volunteer to be in the Spartan army or be a king, especially these days :ols:

But I get where you're coming from.

Bringing in an idea from my Hunger Games thread, you could do the MockingJay pin for loyalty...or would that be too much nerd?

I am currently watching the film adaptation of the Odyssey, with Armand Assante playing the role of Odysseus.

I remember pouring over the Odyssey back in 9th grade, but I can't remember whether or not I watched this movie also. It's been a pretty good, but very long flick so far.

I'm still kind of bummed about megavideo being shut down though. Thankfully, there are still other sites where I can watch older movies, though I'm sure that they'll all eventually get shut down as well.

First Take (And ESPN in general) has become pretty much nothing but analysts cutting promos on each other. It's not even worth getting frustrated over anymore, but it is still annoying as hell, and slightly irritating when they don't use great material.

My beef is with the producers/Powers That Be at ESPN rather than the analysts/hosts themselves.

As I said before, ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown is basically 20 or 30 ex-athletes jammed onto a set, telling bad jokes, making poor predictions, and "breaking" information that anyone can get on Twitter. In fact, all the NFL pregame shows fit that mold, but ESPN and FOX are the worst.

I mean, I used to love watching the pregame shows too, but now I just sleep through them on Football sundays, wake up at 1 PM, and watch the Skins game. I don't want to see Caliendo's awful impressions, 20 guys on set on ESPN, or gutless predictions. "I think the Patriots will win this game today over the Ravens! They have a strong passing attack." Anyone can say that. You aren't being insightful.

I'm all over the place with this tattoo idea...

I think virtue fits me well as a describing word as well...

According to one definition, virtue is four things : courage, prudence, justice, temperance.

Prudence is caution in practical matters. I never used this word to describe me before, but it fits.

Temperance is things in moderation or a void of - I'm not a big drinker, only get drunk once or twice a year, really. And I've never used any illegal drugs. Ever.

Courage: I like to think I'm courageous.

Justice: I'm all about justice and doing the right thing.

So virtue encompasses all of those values.

I'm thinking about changing honor in my original idea to virtue. So my three words would be: Loyalty, Discipline, Virtue.

Loyalty will be represented by a shield, a knight's shield with images inside of it. One quadrant will be the tribal wolf and in another quadrant a crown. This will be the loyalty section. I think the crown, although perhaps signifying honor, also symbolizes an undying loyalty for those kings that were good in character. The two unused quadrants will be shaded lightly in blue, as blue signifies loyalty and truth.

And I haven't figured out the other two yet. I think I may have to change up the words I use, although the ones that are most important to me are Loyalty, honor and discipline. But virtue fits me better than honor.

EDIT: Virtue could very easily be a griffin. Here's an excerpt I just found online... I think it kind of matches me. I can be a fiery, not-so-great person when crossed...

An ancient creature embraced by many cultures, the Celtic animal griffin is a symbol of duality. Part eagle and half-part lion (depending on the region – even part serpent, horse or dog), the meaning of the griffin reflects is dual physical form by presenting a balance of both good and not so good qualities. The griffin's more likeable qualities include nobility, gentleness, and justice. Depicted on ancient stone tombs, griffins are the guardians and protectors of life, and remain loyal in their protection even in the afterlife. Griffins count nobility, vigilance, virtue and strength among their many positive attributes. The griffin is an incredibly strong symbol, and used only when the mightiest gods' attention needs to be captured, and reserved only when the need is greatest. Misused, or invoked for selfish reasons, the griffin brings about gluttony, vengeance, ferocity, and violence. In Roman texts, the Griffin is strongly aligned with the fire god, Apollo. This makes the griffin a possessor of fiery forces – and not to be trifled with when in partnership with Apollo. Given it's power, and considering it can be just as nefarious as it can be kind, respect must be paid when invoking the spirit of the griffin.

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/Celtic-animals.html

As I said before, ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown is basically 20 or 30 ex-athletes jammed onto a set, telling bad jokes, making poor predictions, and "breaking" information that anyone can get on Twitter. In fact, all the NFL pregame shows fit that mold, but ESPN and FOX are the worst.

I mean, I used to love watching the pregame shows too, but now I just sleep through them on Football sundays, wake up at 1 PM, and watch the Skins game. I don't want to see Caliendo's awful impressions, 20 guys on set on ESPN, or gutless predictions. "I think the Patriots will win this game today over the Ravens! They have a strong passing attack." Anyone can say that. You aren't being insightful.

But was the show really any different than when you used to love it? Or is it just now with social media you can find out everything instantly so you don't need the pregame show to get your information.

Also Ix since I know you're so into twitter can you check out @EndicottInter, my company is trying to increase it's web presense and just started a twitter but I think it's going to be awful and can't check it at work so was hoping you could take a look and report back.

How big of a tattoo are you getting KD? Sounds like this thing will be huge

Nah, it wouldn't be. It'll fit on pretty much my entire left shoulder blade. Wouldn't be that big. The wolf head and crown would be relatively small. The shield will be a third of the size of the entire tattoo. The Griffin will be the same size as the shield. I just need to figure out what the third piece will be. The other tat I had planned of a Spartan Shield, Sword, Dory and Helmet would have been the same size, with even more detail, and my artist said the detail would be fine in the size I was planning.

I have no idea what to do for honor OR discipline, as one of those will be the last piece.

All black and white besides the shield which will have two quadrants shaded lightly in blue.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 12:49 PM ----------

You could always get a pin up girl with banners with the words written in them. The piece could remain slightly smaller and fit anywhere.

I dislike pin-up girls for tattoo purposes. But there are some good drawn ones. It's nothing but pure personal preference. But that's a good idea, too.

Archived