Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Oh, okay (I think I know what you are talking about regarding the institute).

I have never been there but thinking about it recently.

Considering a family trip and it seems like it might be a great choice for us.

Hey I would love to live that life even if it meant working. Beautiful settings like that and where PCS (among others live) always make me happy. I love the city life, and the fast life, but whenever I go to the beach...I get so relaxed and never want to leave. I have a friend that lives in the Caymans and hate going home after. Right now I have to be closer to family. But for a vacation it would work.

Oh, okay (I think I know what you are talking about regarding the institute).

I have never been there but thinking about it recently.

Considering a family trip and it seems like it might be a great choice for us.

Hey I would love to live that life even if it meant working. Beautiful settings like that and where PCS (among others live) always make me happy. I love the city life, and the fast life, but whenever I go to the beach...I get so relaxed and never want to leave. I have a friend that lives in the Caymans and hate going home after. Right now I have to be closer to family. But for a vacation it would work.

Yeah, I have only a few ties. A lot of friends, but I can make new ones. The real friends will always be around. I'm going to know a few people there already too. I told a friend I was moving there and she said she was 2 weeks after with another friend of hers and meeting another friend, when she gets back from some yoga thing in Bali, so I think I'm going to live with them eventually.

I am a big outdoors guy, but always wanted to try this, so why not. I love where I live, but you only live once.

So, yeah...I'm sure everyone was wondering where I was since I am soooooo popular. What? No one cared? Really? Well ****....I'm going to tell you anyways.

I got back from Dubai/Abu Dhabi last week....it was like nothing I've ever experienced before...getting off the plane and waiting for my baggage, I stood around people from all sorts of countries (Afghanistan/Syria/Iran/Pakistan/China/Egypt etc). They were all in their traditional dress, and I'm in my western clothes...and you know what happened? Nothing. Nothing happened. No one cared. That's pretty much how I can sum up Dubai - no one really cares what you do. You'll see everything there and no one really bats an eye at it.

I practically did everything you could imagine in Dubai/Abu Dhabi - I even met a Pakistani/Persian/French girl my first day there...we had a couple dates before I left (read as - :kiss:). Climbed to the top of the Burj Khalifa on the world's fastest elevator, rode the world's fastest rollercoaster at Ferrari World (it wasnt that fast, but they made you wear glasses), saw a Formula 1 Championship race, ate Indian/Arab food practically every day (the best shawarma Ive ever had cost $5 bucks and was in the gold souk area...it makes me teary eyed thinking about it :drool:), shopped at the world's largest mall, and got hit on by hookers practically every night at any bar/lounge I went to...I didnt see Westbrook36 there though (they must keep him underground in some top secret military bunker...I'm sure he has posters of Broderick Bunkely shirtless all over his walls). The only thing I didnt like in Dubai/Abu Dhabi was the treatment of Desis (aka Indians/Pakistanis/Bengalis)....it honestly was repulsive to me to see people treated so badly.

After that, I traveled around Eastern Europe in Austria/Slovakia/Hungary. Vienna is probably my favorite city...it was just amazing. Everywhere you looked, you'd see a hot girl. The Christmas markets were awesome, I wish we had something like that back here, it really gets you in the Christmas mood....or maybe that's just the gluwhein? I loved spending days just sitting in a coffee shop and people watching...everything was so interesting even though I couldnt understand what people were saying.

Bratislava was also fun; I met up with my distant cousin and she showed me around the city...thank god for her because most people there dont know english and my slovak isnt very good. Bratislava also is full of hot chicks...like a lot a lot.

Budapest probably scared me the most considering all of the tourist horror stories I read involving scams, but once I got there and found a reputable restaurant that wasnt going to scam me, I settled down and enjoyed the city. I think their Christmas market was probably the best...full of lively people, Hungarian folk dancing, hot chicks, amazing Hungarian hot chocolate + rum...it was like drinking hot chocolate pudding and alcohol :thud:, and did I mention hot chicks? because yeah, that's kind of important.

so yeah, in conclusion:

Dubai/Abu Dhabi = fun, practically everything you can imagine, tons of burqas, tons of malls, tons of hookers (too bad ACW cant visit, he'd be in heaven)

Austria/Slovakia/Hungary = simply amazing, tons of hot women, tons of Christmas markets, tons of alcohol flowing (their beers were better than any of the **** we get here), and tons of hot women again

I kind of miss it :(

It's all good. It sounded like you enjoyed your trip though. Wish I can go overseas, but I have history :(

do you mean you have a college class in history or do you mean you arent allowed to travel? :pfft:

but yes, it was lots of fun...trip of a lifetime really...it seemed like I spent an eternity away, and I kind of liked that.

Just read a study detailing observations of soldiers during WWII by a historian and a bunch of his underlings. They estimated that only about 15-20% of American soldiers fighting in the Pacific theater in WWII would actually raise their weapons against the enemy, no matter the circumstance. That's right. About 80% of soldiers couldn't bring themselves to do it, even faced with an enemy shooting at them. Many even shot purposefully high to avoid killing.

The Army took this study seriously, and changed how they train (and in some ways, desensitize) soldiers. In Korea, the percentage jumped from 20% to about 55%. In Vietnam, the percentage jumped all the way to 90-95% of soldiers legitimately trying to kill the enemy.

So between WWII and Vietnam, the U.S. military completely changed how they trained our soldiers. The article went on to detail modern techniques designed to get soldiers to see the enemy not as humans, but as targets. Much more effective than the propaganda used to dehumanize enemy troops throughout history by all kinds of countries.

Thought that was fascinating, and put a real dent in the popular social myth that humans are naturally violent, natural killers, etc. Even trained soldiers used to find it VERY difficult to shoot at the enemy, even on the battlefield when their life was in danger.

Changes how you look at basically every period piece ever done, in terms of movie battles and such.

Just read a study detailing observations of soldiers during WWII by a historian and a bunch of his underlings. They estimated that only about 15-20% of American soldiers fighting in the Pacific theater in WWII would actually raise their weapons against the enemy, no matter the circumstance. That's right. About 80% of soldiers couldn't bring themselves to do it, even faced with an enemy shooting at them. Many even shot purposefully high to avoid killing.

Psh, greatest generation my ass :rolleyes:

:pfft:

Damn that is really interesting. You got a link or something where I can read more?

Lemme check my computer history and come up with a link, hold on.

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 12:28 AM ----------

Damn that is really interesting. You got a link or something where I can read more?

Well, this ISN'T what I was reading, but it talks about many of the same things, and uses the same numbers.

http://www.military-sf.com/Killing.htm

Archived