Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush: U.S. on Verge of Energy Breakthrough

PokerPacker

Bush: U.S. on Verge of Energy Breakthrough

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer 49 minutes ago

MILWAUKEE - Saying the nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans,

President Bush on Monday outlined his energy proposals to help wean the country off foreign oil.

ADVERTISEMENT

Less than half the crude oil used by refineries is produced in the United States, while 60 percent comes from foreign nations, Bush said during the first stop on a two-day trip to talk about energy.

Some of these foreign suppliers have "unstable" governments that have fundamental differences with America, he said.

"It creates a national security issue and we're held hostage for energy by foreign nations that may not like us," Bush said.

Bush is focusing on energy at a time when Americans are paying high power bills to heat their homes this winter and have only recently seen a decrease in gasoline prices.

One of Bush's proposals would expand research into smaller, longer-lasting batteries for electric-gas hybrid cars, including plug-ins. He highlighted that initiative with a visit Monday to the battery center at Milwaukee-based auto-parts supplier Johnson Controls Inc.

During his trip, Bush is also focusing on a proposal to increase investment in development of clean electric power sources, and proposals to speed the development of biofuels such as "cellulosic" ethanol made from wood chips or sawgrass.

Energy conservation groups and environmentalists say they're pleased that the president, a former oil man in Texas, is stressing alternative sources of energy, but they contend his proposals don't go far enough. They say the administration must consider greater fuel-efficiency standards for cars, and some economists believe it's best to increase the gas tax to force consumers to change their driving habits.

During his visit to Johnson Controls' new hybrid battery laboratory, Bush checked out two Ford Escapes — one with a nickel-metal-hybrid battery, the kind that powers most hybrid-electric vehicles, and one with a lithium-ion battery, which Johnson Controls believes are the wave of the future. The lithium-ion battery was about half the size of the older-model battery. In 2004, Johnson Controls received a government contract to develop the lithium-ion batteries.

On Tuesday, Bush plans to visit the Energy Department's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colo., to talk about speeding the development of biofuels.

The lab, with a looming $28 million budget shortfall, had announced it was cutting its staff by 32 people, including eight researchers. But in advance of Bush's visit, Energy Secretary

Samuel Bodman over the weekend directed the transfer of $5 million to the private contractor that runs the lab, so the jobs can be saved.

The department "has been informed that the NREL lab director will use these funds to immediately restore all of the jobs that were cut earlier this month due to budget shortfalls," the department said in a statement Monday.

"Our nation is on the threshold of new energy technology that I think will startle the American people," Bush said. "We're on the edge of some amazing breakthroughs — breakthroughs all aimed at enhancing our national security and our economic security and the quality of life of the folks who live here in the United States."

Later Monday, Bush visited the United Solar Ovonics Plant, which makes solar panels, in Auburn Hills, Mich., outside Detroit. "This technology right here is going to help us change the way we live in our homes," Bush told reporters.

Bush said he was impressed with the growing commercial uses of solar energy.

"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this — that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in your home, and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., questioned Bush's energy policies Monday, saying the administration also supports subsidies for luxury SUVs.

"This single tax subsidy dwarfs anything being done for hybrid batteries," Markey said in a news release.

As a complement to Bush's travels, six Cabinet officials are crisscrossing the nation this week, appearing at more than two dozen energy events in more than a dozen states.

___

On the Net:

White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov

what do you guys think?

I think when he says "our country" he means Japan ... Unfortunately, Detroit is showing up a little late to the show once again. It would've been nice if someone besides hippies and nerds were supporting alternative energy in this country in the 80's and 90's.

"Our nation is on the threshold of new energy technology that I think will startle the American people," Bush said. "We're on the edge of some amazing breakthroughs — breakthroughs all aimed at enhancing our national security and our economic security and the quality of life of the folks who live here in the United States."

hmmm sounds like some bs george w.

Later Monday, Bush visited the United Solar Ovonics Plant, which makes solar panels, in Auburn Hills, Mich., outside Detroit. "This technology right here is going to help us change the way we live in our homes," Bush told reporters.

"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this — that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in your home, and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."

:rotflmao: THAT'S NOT NEW! wassup with this line, "you'll become a little power generator in your home..." wtf does that mean? oh no! THE MATRIX!

:rotflmao: THAT'S NOT NEW! wassup with this line, "you'll become a little power generator in your home..." wtf does that mean? oh no! THE MATRIX!

No, solar systems aren't a new technology but technology for efficient storage is new (you know those slim batteries that allow you to yap on your cell phones all day). Thats what he referring too. But, if it makes you feel better I'll say it for you George Bush is stupid.

I think when he says "our country" he means Japan ... Unfortunately, Detroit is showing up a little late to the show once again. It would've been nice if someone besides hippies and nerds were supporting alternative energy in this country in the 80's and 90's.

How about a little optimism? Would that kill either of you?

I think what the country needs is a Manhattan Project for energy. The government should throw every available resource into recruiting the best minds and provide them with everything they need in a secluded environment and tell them they can't come out until they've solved our energy problems.

If we came up with the atomic bomb in a few years, we can find some energy alternatives in a similar amount of time.

No, solar systems aren't a new technology but technology for efficient storage is new (you know those slim batteries that allow you to yap on your cell phones all day). Thats what he referring too. But, if it makes you feel better I'll say it for you George Bush is stupid.

:laugh: :laugh:

Many can't understand some highly technical things.

Bush also might be talking about shale oil as well, they have discovered in CO that if you burn up shale it can create oil that is similar to the oil that we need. The process they have created is safe and only envolves burning up rocks :cheers:

:laugh: thanks. i think his "down home" personality really betrays him, i don't think he's as dumb as he appears.

I think what the country needs is a Manhattan Project for energy. The government should throw every available resource into recruiting the best minds and provide them with everything they need in a secluded environment and tell them they can't come out until they've solved our energy problems.

If we came up with the atomic bomb in a few years, we can find some energy alternatives in a similar amount of time.

I agree with you 100% Raub. They need a manhattan type project or a mandate like Kennedy gave that we would be on the moon within the decade. Set a goal and put massive resources behind it.

How about a little optimism? Would that kill either of you?

:laugh: I'm plenty optimistic about technology. It's not like Japan isn't a great trading partner that will continue selling us cars (and making them in the United States). We'll all be driving hybrids soon enough; there's nothing wrong with the fact that most of them will be Japanese brands.

The real U.S. engineering breakthrough of the day is IBM's fluid immersion research that will allow 30nm components using DUV technology:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/technology/20chip.html

...we might not own the alternative energy market, but everyone's still using Microsoft Windows and Intel processors...

:laugh: :laugh:

Many can't understand some highly technical things.

Bush also might be talking about shale oil as well, they have discovered in CO that if you burn up shale it can create oil that is similar to the oil that we need. The process they have created is safe and only envolves burning up rocks :cheers:

They might've found a new way to process it..... Even so, Oil seems to precious to use for energy. I think our reserves are there for the sole purpose of buying us time... We are under the gun here to come up with a solution to replacing oil or our infrastructure is going to collapse...

They might've found a new way to process it..... Even so, Oil seems to precious to use for energy. I think our reserves are there for the sole purpose of buying us time... We are under the gun here to come up with a solution to replacing oil or our infrastructure is going to collapse...

I agree, however feel oil will always be a part of this economy in same form. If we can find another souce to take care of 50% and oil the other 50% then it would work.

As far as "project", what do some of you think we have been doing the past 20+ years?? Just because there is no news on something does not mean it is being researched as we speak.

some economists believe it's best to increase the gas tax to force consumers to change their driving habits.

Yeah, like driving to work and transporting goods and services. You know, the stuff that keeps our economy going. :doh:

WTF are these people thinking?

The next revolution in energy may get some help from the federal government but it will come from the private sector and be driven by a free market economy. It will take a synergy of related technologys, and an entirely new infrasturcture all of which must be profitable to those investing in it. We can throw all the federal money in the world at it and it will not happen any sooner. As Robert Heinlein said, "when it's time to railroad, you railroad".

:laugh: I'm plenty optimistic about technology. It's not like Japan isn't a great trading partner that will continue selling us cars (and making them in the United States). We'll all be driving hybrids soon enough; there's nothing wrong with the fact that most of them will be Japanese brands.

The real U.S. engineering breakthrough of the day is IBM's fluid immersion research that will allow 30nm components using DUV technology:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/technology/20chip.html

...we might not own the alternative energy market, but everyone's still using Microsoft Windows and Intel processors...

You act like Japan is some kind of engineering and research juggernaut.

You know what the difference b/w Japan and the US is? Japan's finest engineers work at Honda and Toyota building Accords and Civics.

America's best engineers are driving cars.... ON MARS.

So if you want to compare the two countries... by all means, let's do. But let's be sure we're talking about best -vs- best.

And how about a little support for the President? He obviously is giving alternative energy sources a lot of attention, and he is doing more than just paying lip-service. This is the first time in my lifetime we've had a U.S. president really commit to weening our dependence off of fossil-fuels (and a Texas Oil tycoon at that.)

And you are mocking him and complaining that we shouldn't even bother because the Japanese already have us beat? Please. :rolleyes:

This isnt' the 1970's and 80s and 90s. The Japanese will have to actually come up with their own ideas and market those... no more ripping our country off and dumping on our markets, then hiding behind their racist legal system and hokey patent processes.

And how about a little support for the President? He obviously is giving alternative energy sources a lot of attention, and he is doing more than just paying lip-service. This is the first time in my lifetime we've had a U.S. president really commit to weening our dependence off of fossil-fuels (and a Texas Oil tycoon at that.)

I would agree on that. Others in the past have talked it but Bush is the first one to show something. Scientists have been working nonstop on methods, even the auto industry has been putting millions to research the last 4 years.

Do you understand how inefficient solar pannels are today? What he is talking about is a quantum leap in efficiency, storage, and an entirely new energy infrastructure.

Not everything you don't understand is BS.

Do you understand how inefficient solar pannels are today? What he is talking about is a quantum leap in efficiency, storage, and an entirely new energy infrastructure.

Not everything you don't understand is BS.

Well... Not to play both sides. Alot of this efficiency stuff is real no-brainer stuff (adding a glazing wall and a tree to the south side of a building-- amazing how much money you'll save). Americans never really had to worry about before. I mean energy is so abundant why worry about resources? I was just impressed that George Bush even mentioned buildings. Green designs are given so little attention concurrently and are going to be so invaluable in the next three decades.

You act like Japan is some kind of engineering and research juggernaut.

You know what the difference b/w Japan and the US is? Japan's finest engineers work at Honda and Toyota building Accords and Civics.

America's best engineers are driving cars.... ON MARS.

So if you want to compare the two countries... by all means, let's do. But let's be sure we're talking about best -vs- best.

And you are mocking him and complaining that we shouldn't even bother because the Japanese already have us beat? Please. :rolleyes:

This isnt' the 1970's and 80s and 90s. The Japanese will have to actually come up with their own ideas and market those... no more ripping our country off and dumping on our markets, then hiding behind their racist legal system and hokey patent processes.

I was trying to be a little bit tongue-and-cheek, and I think you're being a little bit harsh on the Japanese. The truth is that they have put a lot more research into this, and at the current time, we are well behind when it comes to fuel-efficient cars. Can we catch up? I think we can, but I think at least in the hybrid car market, Honda and Toyota might already be too far ahead.

...and in my post you quoted, I pointed out another area where U.S. engineers are ahead of the rest of the world: semiconductors. There's nothing inherently better or worse about Japanese engineers - they have just spent a lot more time on the renewable energy problem than we have.

Detroit will have its chance in the next generation of cars, and hopefully Bush will commit some real resources to the effort. I do definitely appreciate his support for an issue that has faced fierce poiltical resistance in the past few decades. I'm mocking his rhetoric, not his vision.

...I think it's stretching it to say that Bush is the first President to try to wean us off fossil fuels. He may be the first that is successful, because after all, only Nixon could go to China. However, he certainly wasn't the first. It seems like this is a pretty popular second-term idea:

Bill Clinton, State of the Union, January 27, 1998: "We have it in our power to act right here, right now. I propose $6 billion in tax cuts and research and development to encourage innovation, renewable energy, fuel-efficient cars, energy- efficient homes. Every time we have acted to heal our environment, pessimists have told us it would hurt the economy. Well, today our economy is the strongest in a generation. And our environment is the cleanest in a generation. We have always found a way to clean the environment and grow the economy at the same time."

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/01/27/sotu/transcripts/clinton/index2.html

George W. Bush, State of the Union, January 31, 2006: "Since 2001, we have spent nearly $10 billion to develop cleaner, cheaper and more reliable alternative energy sources. And we are on the threshold of incredible advances. So tonight I announce the Advanced Energy Initiative -- a 22 percent increase in clean-energy research at the Department of Energy to push for breakthroughs in two vital areas. To change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission coal-fired plants; revolutionary solar and wind technologies; and clean, safe nuclear energy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/31/AR2006013101468.html

P.S. Japanese Robot. American Robot. I call it a draw ;)

Yeah, like driving to work and transporting goods and services. You know, the stuff that keeps our economy going. :doh:

The next revolution in energy may get some help from the federal government but it will come from the private sector and be driven by a free market economy. It will take a synergy of related technologys, and an entirely new infrasturcture all of which must be profitable to those investing in it. We can throw all the federal money in the world at it and it will not happen any sooner. As Robert Heinlein said, "when it's time to railroad, you railroad".

I agree. The Government can do a lot by funding research but this stuff is going to have to be profitable the infrastructure starts to go up. It will be interesting to see how the oil companies counter any real break throughs. What's to say they don't half the price of oil for 2 years to dry up R&D and investment money if they find a real fear in alternative fuel.

The federal goverment will in all likelyhood be the biggest driving force in changing energy consumption patterns. The government has invented some cool stuff in its day, its not always the private sector that drives innovation.

Archived