Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curling

Spaceman Spiff

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I must admit I didn't know anything about this game before these olympics. I had heard a great deal about it, but never actually seen it.

Well, it's on CNBC right now and I am at a loss for words. How can people consider this a sport? How can this compare to something like speed skating, snowboarding or ice hockey?

I can see where there is a lot of SKILL involved in this game, thats for certain. However, there doesn't seem to be much athletic skill involved. All they really have to do is slide along the ice and keep up with the stone, and brush the ice in front. Right? Unless I'm totally missing something here.

Anyway, vote, and explain whether you think it's a sport or not.

EDIT: looks like it could be kinda fun though.

I was discussing this with my roomate. We compared casual golf and curling...how they are both very skillful sports but not highly athletic (sorry for the hundreds of golfers that's going to offend). Anyway, basically I don't think curling is a sport, it's a game.

I compare it to chess, in that it is highly strategical. But it does add a physical element to it in how precise the original pusher (whatever you call him :laugh: ) has to be. Still, there is no 'athletic' part to it. Are there any other Olympic events that don't require athleticism?

Its a sport:

From http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/sport

A sport consists of a physical activity or skill carried out with a recreational purpose: for competition, for self-enjoyment, to attain excellence, for the development of a skill, or some combination of these. A sport has physical activity, side by side competition, and a scoring system. The difference of purpose is what characterises sport, combined with the notion of individual (or team) skill or prowess.

I was discussing this with my roomate. We compared casual golf and curling...how they are both very skillful sports but not highly athletic (sorry for the hundreds of golfers that's going to offend). Anyway, basically I don't think curling is a sport, it's a game.

See, I disagree about golf. I mean, if you walk 18, you actually get some good excercise! Not to mention it you're hitting a small ball with a club...its no less of a sport than baseball is...:laugh:

I think it's cool.

Anyways, it sure beats figure skating. I was set to watch some olympics tonight... :munchout: ....

then I saw it was figure skating. :jerk: I turned off the TV and watched my fingernails grow instead.

Seriously... figure skating is worse than a trip to the dentist, although not quite as bad as a hollywood musical. Somewhere in between.

I say it's a sport. A sport for people who really enjoy ice skating, bowling, archery, billiards, and house cleaning, and thought that the five needed to be combined.

Including house cleaning in that made is hilariously hystarical.

Curling is the dumbest "game" ever invented. How the hell it ever got into the Olympics is beyond me.

Never underestimate the powerful Canadian Doing Stuff On Ice lobby.

Its a sport:

From http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/sport

A sport consists of a physical activity or skill carried out with a recreational purpose: for competition, for self-enjoyment, to attain excellence, for the development of a skill, or some combination of these. A sport has physical activity, side by side competition, and a scoring system. The difference of purpose is what characterises sport, combined with the notion of individual (or team) skill or prowess.

According to Websters NASCAR is out :mad:

Archived