Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Ann Coulter to audience: You're stupider than I am

Destino

They pay almost all of the speakers that come to the university. If that were a valid reason then GMU would be banned from paying anyone with a political view point from coming to speak at the school. They aren't. If Coulter came and charged a fee, are you willing to say VA congress would go nuts?

I'd be willing to bet a few would not only be quiet, but they'd attend.

Hard to say man, I dunno. Maybe they're only allowed to pay a certain amount for a speaker? I know that Moore was asking for a hell of a lot of money. Or maybe I have the story wrong.

Leonard Washington... your sig is ridiculous

The fact that Buges was the very first person Gibbs called should tell you everything you need to know... unless what you are saying is that you question Gibbs' judgement? If so, why not just write that?

Hard to say man, I dunno. Maybe they're only allowed to pay a certain amount for a speaker? I know that Moore was asking for a hell of a lot of money. Or maybe I have the story wrong.
No, you have it right. Tubby likes to talk about the little guy but never fails to ask top dollar for his services. $35,000

I just think the attention it would have brought the school would have been worth it. GMU is a better school then people think but almost no one outside of NoVA has heard of it.

The fact that Buges was the very first person Gibbs called should tell you everything you need to know... unless what you are saying is that you question Gibbs' judgement? If so, why not just write that?

well i assume gibbs asked bugel b/c he was the best oline coach available, knew the offense and players (wasn't he consultant under spurrier?). i'm not saying bugel is a bad coach per se, but i never like people who talk trash about others and don't have their house in order. the team is all in this together and i think he alienates players by talking ish about them--especially when he doesn't directly coach them.

also as i told someone in a pm, i also have this as my sig b/c i hope it will somehow lead to better oline play and running game. in games 2-5 i had "fire jack burns and don breaux" as my sig and we had our best offense of the season during that stretch. so i hope the same will happen with this sig...so far its working...see portis and cartwright work last sunday. :point2sky

Zoony - it could be the fact that he's 87 and still a student - ya' know not much going on :point2sky there :D

No, you have it right. Tubby likes to talk about the little guy but never fails to ask top dollar for his services. $35,000

I just think the attention it would have brought the school would have been worth it. GMU is a better school then people think but almost no one outside of NoVA has heard of it.

Good point about Moore.

Are you a GMU grad too?

I think the founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they could see any administration since 1949. George Washington warned us in his farewell from office to avoid entangling alliances. The US formed its first alliance with a foreign power in 49. It doesn't matter whether Democrat or Republican.

I seem to remember being told something different. Something about the US getting pulled into WW1 because of foreign treaties.

I seem to remember being told something different. Something about the US getting pulled into WW1 because of foreign treaties.

There's a difference.

Cause of US involvement in WWI:

President Woodrow Wilson declared a U.S. policy of absolute neutrality , an official stance that would last until 1917 when Germany's policy of unrestricted submarine warfare - which seriously threatened America's commercial shipping (which was in any event almost entirely directed towards the Allies led by Britain and France) - forced the U.S. to finally enter the war on 6 April 1917.

Alliance 1949:

The North Atlantic Alliance (NATO) was founded on the basis of a Treaty between member states entered into freely by each of them after public debate and due parliamentary process. The Treaty upholds their individual rights as well as their international obligations in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations. It commits each member country to sharing the risks and responsibilities as well as the benefits of collective security and requires of each of them the undertaking not to enter into any other international commitment which might conflict with the Treaty.

Coulter Makes Much-Anticipated Visit

Packed Jorgensen Hears Shortened Speech

By: Frances Morales

Issue date: 12/8/05 Section: News

Article Tools:Email This ArticlePrint This Article Page 1 of 1

Political author and commentator Ann Coulter speaks during Wednesday night's event sponsored by the College Republicans in Jorgensen Auditorium.

Media Credit: Erin Mizla

Political author and commentator Ann Coulter speaks during Wednesday night's event sponsored by the College Republicans in Jorgensen Auditorium.

More than 2,000 people streamed through the doors of the Jorgensen Center of Performing Arts Wednesday, all to see, hear, support or criticize the conservative speaker Ann Coulter.

Campus police were in attendance to maintain order as College Republicans rounded up their brothers and sisters from chapters across Connecticut and some out-of-state, to lend a hand at the event.

Supporters came to hear Coulter, others waited out in the freezing cold weather with their poster boards wisped by the wind, all to protest against Coulter.

And the wait was over.

Coulter, who came in late due to a delayed flight, strode in from Miami, with a smile, and spoke amongst the mixtures of cheers and boos.

Coulter poked fun at liberals and defended President George W. Bush, but her speech was interrupted by boos after she made several comments about gays, only to stir up snickering and boos up on the balcony.

"I think we have a long way to go with censorship when we have 'Will and Grace' on TV," Coulter said as she laughed. "I think someone finally got the joke in the liberal section."

The event, which was sponsored by Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, lasted less than 30 minutes before her speech was cut short as groups of students seated in the balconies began protesting Coulter shouting, "You suck."

One student shouted, "I want my money back."

"That was an affecting response by the liberals," she said in response. "And it took them two months to come up with that."

A South Park song, "Kyle's mom is a big fat *****," broke out, and some students jeered.

Coulter continued to laugh and said that liberals were "big, fat, taunting babies."

"It didn't matter what the song was," Coulter said after the lecture. "I'm giving a speech, they blast something and I can't speak. What does that say of how powerful what it is I have to say. They are so afraid that if someone hears me, they will change their mind. I guess they shouldn't be now that I think about it."

The speech went straight into a question and answer session between Coulter and students.

Coulter defended Bush in that U.S. is winning the war in Iraq, and said American troops would be out of Iraq, "sooner than Bosnia."

One student asked what would Coulter do if she had a gay son.

"Did I tell you, you were adopted, " Coulter answered.

Another student who said she was a lesbian, called Coulter hot.

She later admitted the comment she made about homosexuals was a joke and had made the comments to stir up the people who were already upset.

In response to comments made after 9/11 about converting Muslims in Iraq into Christianity, Coulter stood by her comment.

"This is what America has done to create freedom," she said. "America was founded on Christian principals, and the idea people could live in freedom."

A book signing was held after the lecture.

Craig Albert, a political science instructor at UConn, commented on the aftermath of the lecture.

"I don't think liberals take her too sensitively," Albert said. "I think they do it for a purpose, but I also think they are extreme with the protest that went on tonight. I think it goes against liberal cause to preach tolerance and go against hate-speech and they show so much hate toward somebody, which I think is hypocritical. Clearly she says things that makes people upset and she too should be held accountable."

Coulter commented on the reaction some students who criticized her had during her speech.

"Right-wingers are polite," she said. "You would never see that at Cindy Sheehan's speech at a college campus and she calls George Bush the greatest terrorist in the world for Israel for the Jews and America isn't worth fighting for. I promise you no right-wingers would shut down her speech."

David Brewster, a 5th-semester political science major and a Coulter-supporter said he did not find her comments to be racist, "but if you take them out of context, it can make it look hateful, but I don't think she is," he said.

Others differed in opinion, like Jorge Cruz, a 5th-semester psychology major.

"I can't believe we paid to support racism," Cruz said. "She produces hate-crime."

There was some confusion whether or not the media were allowed to take photos of Coulter's lecture.

Lisa De Pasquale, program director of Clare Booth Luce Policy Institute said that Clare Booth did not prohibit photos to be taken but College Republicans made the decision, amongst confusion and misinterpretation.

"I didn't know that until not too long ago," she said. "We want photographers there, we just didn't want video. It is part of our policy that there is no video, so they might have misinterpreted us," De Pasquale said.

http://www.dailycampus.com/media/paper340/news/2005/12/08/News/Coulter.Makes.MuchAnticipated.Visit-1125175.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.dailycampus.com

Another student who said she was a lesbian, called Coulter hot.

She later admitted the comment she made about homosexuals was a joke and had made the comments to stir up the people who were already upset.

They left out her second comment. . . DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF HER HANDS!!!! Hell, she could get me off and pinch my nipples with ONE HAND!!!!

I think it's rumored she suffers from Marfan's Syndrome.

Abe Lincoln might of had it too.

FYI, for those of you like me who've never heard of Marfan's Syndrome:

The Marfan syndrome is inherited and affects many parts of the body. There's no single conclusive test for diagnosing it, but people who have it often have many similar traits. Besides perhaps having heart problems, people with the Marfan syndrome are often tall and thin. They also may have slender, tapering fingers, long arms and legs, curvature of the spine and eye problems. Sometimes the Marfan syndrome is so mild that few (if any) symptoms exist. In the most severe cases, which are rare, life-threatening problems may occur at any age.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4672

FYI, for those of you like me who've never heard of Marfan's Syndrome:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4672

I don't think that quote gives an accurate picture of true Marfan's, but Marfan's is fatal. There is undoubted evidence of shorten life expectancy, rarely will they live past 60. I was unaware of any 'milder' forms.

Almost all are susceptible to aortic aneurysms. A very grave illness and that quote does not justify it at all.

Ann's a bomb thrower... there was a concerted group to shout her down.

Cindy Sheehan was there 2 days earlier.. apparently the neocons forgot to shout her down...

Maybe we should applaud the fact that Cindy got to say what she was invited for and condemn those that shouted down Ann.... live outside the party... the water is warm...

I don't think that quote gives an accurate picture of true Marfan's, but Marfan's is fatal. There is undoubted evidence of shorten life expectancy, rarely will they live past 60. I was unaware of any 'milder' forms.

Almost all are susceptible to aortic aneurysms. A very grave illness and that quote does not justify it at all.

That quote was intended merely to highlight the physical appearance aspect of Marfan's, as much of the talk in this thread is about her lanky appearance. I posted the link so that people could read more if they so desired.

That quote was intended merely to highlight the physical appearance aspect of Marfan's, as much of the talk in this thread is about her lanky appearance. I posted the link so that people could read more if they so desired.

Y- the link is good, but the quote you selected was very misleading

Others differed in opinion, like Jorge Cruz, a 5th-semester psychology major.

"I can't believe we paid to support racism," Cruz said. "She produces hate-crime."

I've mentioned before that the field of psychology attracts a lot of people with problems and issues...

Archived