Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Ann Coulter to audience: You're stupider than I am

Destino

STORRS, Connecticut (AP) -- Conservative columnist Ann Coulter cut short a speech at the University of Connecticut amid boos and jeers, and decided to hold a question-and-answer session instead.

"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the crowd of 2,600 Wednesday.

Before cutting off her speech after about 15 minutes, Coulter called Bill Clinton an "executive buffoon" who won the presidency only because Ross Perot took 19 percent of the vote.

Coulter's appearance prompted protests from several student groups. About 100 people rallied outside the auditorium where she spoke, saying she spread a message of intolerance.

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Eric Knudsen, a 19-year-old sophomore journalism and social welfare major who heads campus group Students Against Hate.

It wasn't the first time Coulter has had trouble at a university speech. In October 2004, two men ran onstage and threw custard pies as she was giving a speech at the University of Arizona.

UConn junior Kareem Mohni, 20, said he was disgusted by his peers' reaction to Coulter.

"It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment," Mohni said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/coulter.row.ap/index.html

I really like that last line "listen to a different view in a respectful environment". How exactly does a person calling everyone that disagrees with her cowards, traitors, and worse create a respectful environment in the first place? It doesn't. People like Coulter should be treated exactly as they treat others everywhere they go.

You don't have to engage in constant name calling to make a point. I've seen G Gordon Liddy live at Geore Mason who put on a slanted but funny show. I've heard Rush Limbaugh make good economic points hundreds of times with out uttering a single insult.

Coulter doesn't deserve any respect, I am fine with any non physical abuse she gets. I would love to actually get a chance to tear apart that dumb b's "arguments." That is what the students ought to have done, but booing and jeering wasn't inappropriate for the likes of her.

I agree she's confrontational and a bit abrasive towards the left.... heck I despise the Liberal Left in this country..... but it's a shame the overwhelming slant of our colleges towards the Liberal viewpoint of things. I read all the time about conservative groups being heckled and essentially chastised on college campuses.

What does that say about our colleges that they're nearly exclusively Liberal and no other viewpoints are encouraged on campus? Thomas Jefferson would roll over in his grave at the current condition of our college campus enviroment.

I agree she's confrontational and a bit abrasive towards the left.... heck I despise the Liberal Left in this country..... but it's a shame the overwhelming slant of our colleges towards the Liberal viewpoint of things. I read all the time about conservative groups being heckled and essentially chastised on college campuses.

What does that say about our colleges that they're nearly exclusively Liberal and no other viewpoints are encouraged on campus? Thomas Jefferson would roll over in his grave at the current condition of our college campus enviroment.

I've attended a couple of colleges and I did not notice them trying to force my political viewpoint one way or the other.....how exactly do colleges do this?

I agree she's confrontational and a bit abrasive towards the left....
Saying that she's "a bit abrasive" is like saying a gun shot wound stings a little.
but it's a shame the overwhelming slant of our colleges towards the Liberal viewpoint of things. I read all the time about conservative groups being heckled and essentially chastised on college campuses.

That's such BS. George Mason had right wing talk show hosts show up in the main lunch area and no one said a word. Meanwhile VA congress stopped Michael Moore from speaking at a VA college.

There are a lot of schools that have right wing view points. The problem is no one at all is surprised when right wing schools like Bob Jones are intolerant of someone elses opinion. That isn't news. Reporting that would be like starting the morning news with "this just in, the sun is rising again."

Not to mention the military and military schools that never fail to drum in a produce a shockingly high number of right wingers. No complaints about slant there huh?

Another example of the pot calling the kettle black on the message boards. You all who are insulting her physically and otherwise are being just as distasteful and abrasive as you say she is. If you don't agree with her jsut say so. Don't hurl insults.

For others will treat you as you treat them.Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying, `Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye?

I've attended a couple of colleges and I did not notice them trying to force my political viewpoint one way or the other.....how exactly do colleges do this?

I think it depends on the classes you take.

If you're in a business program, you won't hear any ****ing and moaning about conservatives.

However, if you were an English major like me, when Bush got re-elected my teachers acted like it was the end of the world.

My poetry workshop teacher came in the day after and she treated it like it was a morgue, no joke. She couldn't stop talking about how she feared the future because of the direction our country was headed in. I think I was the only one in the room who wanted to laugh.

And Destino, VA congress stopped Moore from talking at GMU (I know, cause it's where I went to school) because Moore was charging a ****load of money to talk there. Can't remember the exact reasoning, but it had something to do with a public university paying money to hear someone with a political affiliation come to a college to spread his ideas.

If Moore had come for free, it wouldn't have been an issue.

... And Destino, VA congress stopped Moore from talking at GMU (I know, cause it's where I went to school) because Moore was charging a ****load of money to talk there. Can't remember the exact reasoning, but it had something to do with a public university paying money to hear someone with a political affiliation come to a college to spread his ideas.

Now that's some ownage!

:owned:

Another example of the pot calling the kettle black on the message boards. You all who are insulting her physically and otherwise are being just as distasteful and abrasive as you say she is. If you don't agree with her jsut say so. Don't hurl insults.

For others will treat you as you treat them.Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying, `Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye?

There is a difference here. She is doing it on a grand scale - in the public eye. Not to mention i think there is a bit of a sarcastic tone going on here.

Plus - those are some HUGE ****ing hands!

And Destino, VA congress stopped Moore from talking at GMU (I know, cause it's where I went to school) because Moore was charging a ****load of money to talk there. Can't remember the exact reasoning, but it had something to do with a public university paying money to hear someone with a political affiliation come to a college to spread his ideas.

FYI - Ann Coulter was paid $16,000 to come and make her speech at the University of Connecticut, a public university.

Some of you guys may not know that I know Ms. Coulter personally. We went to law school together, lived in the same dorm hallway, and had lots of political arguments.

Strangely, I never noticed her hands.

I remember you telling us that in another thread, that you went to school together.

I'm thinking that pic has to be an aberration or something, no way her hands could be that big.

She good in bed?

Archived